Jump to ratings and reviews

One Wild Wish #2

Off-Limits Crush

Opposites attract in the hilarious and hot romantic comedy United Indie Book Blog calls "a MUST READ!!!!!!"

Tripping into a gorgeous man when signing up at a Habitat for Humanity build should be a bonus, right?

Not when that hunk decides it would be fun to prank me.

To be fair, I’m not what I’d call "handy." I’m a genius at styling my clients, but manual labor isn’t my thing. Still, I’m determined to better myself by helping my community.

Then Owen too-hot-to-be-human Philips told to me to show up wearing hazmat-level gear.

He’s all apologetic now, being nice and sweet and hot. I’m ready to forgive and forget. And, if we’re being honest, I’m also ready to climb him like a freaking tree.

But I catch a man squeezing his fine behind.

Being the awkward soul I am, I flirt with all nearby straight men, hoping to break this unbearable attraction.

Except Owen looks…upset. Furious, even.

Turns out Owen isn’t gay, and holy heck can this man kiss. But I have the sneaky suspicion there’s a reason he took so long to ravish me, and secrets have a habit of dousing even the hottest flames…

*Previously titles STUD

347 pages, Kindle Edition

Published September 1, 2019

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kelly Siskind

18 books1,315 followers
Kelly Siskind writes romantic comedies and contemporary romance novels for daydreamers and fantasists everywhere. She lives in charming northern Ontario, where she alternatively frolics in and suffers through the never-ending winters.

When she’s not out hiking or home devouring books, you can find her, notepad in hand, scribbling down one of the many plot bunnies bouncing around in her head. Sign up for Kelly’s newsletter at www.kellysiskind.com and never miss a giveaway, a free bonus scene, or the latest news on her books.

Golden Heart® Finalist
Amazon Best Seller
Featured on the Apple Books Best Books of the Month list.

Where to find me:

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Kelly-Siskind/...

Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/kelly...

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authorKellyS...

Join Kelly's Gang on Facebook for exclusive giveaways and laughs: https://www.facebook.com/authorKellyS...

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kellysiskind/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/KellySiskind?lang=en

Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.ca/kellysiskind/

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 178 reviews
Profile Image for Ri.
4,964 reviews
January 16, 2018
The thing about books is that they let our imaginations soar. We can laugh, or cry, become educated, have them scare us, or make us believe in love. If done right they are magic. That is the case with this book. It is pure magic. I LOVED, the first book of this series but it has NOTHING on this one. I laughed out loud. Literally. ( Two words-- clitoris catnip.) I didn't think the author could up her writing style but she did. I loved the definition/title before each chapter and how it was later used by the main characters. It was almost like a foreshadowing of what was to come.

It was wonderful to see the characters from the first book and to see how the infamous night of birthday wishes was working out. Ainsley was a delight. She was the true definition of not judging a book by its cover. She was sassy, quick witted, and fiery as hell. Owen. Sweet Lawd all mighty. I want to bottle that man up. My heart hurt for him. He just wanted true unequivocal love. He was sexy, he was steadfast, and he was unwavering.

I cannot recommend this book enough. It is definitely going into one of the best of 2018. I cannot wait for Gwen's story next. This will be a series I reread. Kudos to the author for knocking this one out of the park.
Profile Image for Jen .
802 reviews572 followers
March 19, 2018
4.5 Unf Stars

Well color me surprised!

I went into this with zero expectations, just looking for a quick read I wasn't expected to review. What I got was a sweet, funny and sexy as hell story that will stick with me.

There are so many great moments in this book, but the dinner with Gay-Not-Gay Owen will always hold a special place in my heart.
Profile Image for Shannon.
2,269 reviews160 followers
January 29, 2018

There’s been some discussions floating around in a couple of FB groups recently about books with millionaires and billionaires and what readers think about those kind of characters. My response was I wanted more realistic heroes! Ones that have real jobs, real issues, and real feelings. I think Ms.Siskind must have seen my reply because Stud is the answer to all my requests!

I loved Owen and Ainsley! Their story was so entertaining and fun, and it had so much heart. Normally you swoon all over the hero, but let me tell you, Ainsley is swoon-worthy in her own right. The relationship she has with her parents just hit me in the feels! But don’t think Owen isn’t swoon-worthy, because he sure enough is- ballroom dancing anyone?!? Together these 2 left me feeling so giddy with happiness. I love when I’m charmed by both characters equally- I’m really not sure which of these two I liked the most. Their banter and flirtations, the heart-to-heart talks, the chemistry, I couldn't get enough of them.

Owen and Ainsley both go through quite a bit of growth during the course of this book, and I really enjoyed being right there with them as they discovered things about themselves. I was so invested in these two, I wish I could have jumped in my Kindle to help them through their struggles! But they had no need for me, nope, not at all. They are both so strong and caring and after a few little hiccups they righted their paths.

Stud is just such a fantastic book. Not only are the main characters a pure delight, but the secondary characters add so much life to the story. The friendships are ones you wish you were a part of! I'm so looking forward to Gwen's story, that little peek has me completely intrigued!

Profile Image for Reads & Reviews.
647 reviews14 followers
January 31, 2018
Can I gush? I think I might have to gush. Stud gets all the stars. I enjoyed this book so much, it’s hard for me to put into words. Great characters. Great character development. Quick paced, well thought out, smart, funny, brilliant, clever plot. It made me laugh. It made me cry. It made me happy to know we can read about an alpha male that is REAL, with a beautiful depth to him that made me want to equally hug him tight and jump him. It made me happy to meet a heroine who can be equal parts bombshell fashionista and sassy mouthed with a sense of humor and dirty mind that rivals my own. Someone that I’d want to be best friends with.

It’s not every day that I read a book that makes me want to jump head first into the pages and meet the characters. Frankly, it doesn’t happen all that often. I read books, I love them, I enjoy the story. But, Stud made me want to jump in and hang out with Owen and Ainsley. I wanted to tease them both unmercifully like their friends do because it’s all so natural and from a place of love and affection that we all crave in our lives. Seriously. I think Kelly Siskind could’ve written Stud’s 264 pages with just Owen, Ainsley, and their friends hanging out and I would have been perfectly happy.

Instead, I got that and a wonderful, memorable story about two people who have reached a breaking point in their lives. Stud in book 2 in Siskind’s series about three women who make a wish/resolution on their shared birthday. They have one year to make it come true. Rachel makes her wish come true in book one of the series, Legs (which you should go read, though both it and Stud are easily standalones). Ainsley makes her wish and sets about making it come true. Doing so leads her to Owen on a Habitat for Humanity site and their meeting sets them both down a road to finally confronting their insecurities and giving life-and love-a chance to be all it can be.

Owen and Ainsley are really two of my favorite romance characters ever and they are perfect for each other. Their quick-witted, sarcastic dialogue is so funny and so endearing that I could listen to them for days. Their chemistry is crazy intense and so real that I literally teared up during their first time together. That. Never. Happens. My heart is beating hard just thinking about it. Ainsley’s misunderstanding of Owen’s sexuality allows them to develop a beautiful friendship long before they fall into each other’s arms which is just as important and enjoyable as the romance. Plus, Owen knows how to say just the right thing. Lord, he’s sweet.

Besides the two MCs, my absolute favorite parts of the book were Owen’s brother Emmett and the clever use of Ainsley’s love of crossword puzzles (though her prank on Owen with the aid of her dad is a close runner-up). We met Emmett in Legs as the object of Ainsley’s gay crush. He’s the reason she thinks her gay-dar is broken, but what he brings to this story as (surprise!) Owen’s brother is so much more. I adored him and hope we see more of him as the series goes on (cough-novella-cough). And, Ainsley’s crossword obsession is weaved into the story line effortlessly and cleverly at the beginning of each chapter as Siskind uses homonyms that define construction terms and the next stage of Owen and Ainsley’s journey. Little touches like that pull me in deeper to a story, making me love it even more.

I can’t recommend this book more. I can’t hardly wait for Licks, the final book in the series that comes out in April. There’s a little preview of it at the end of Stud that had me screaming out loud for more like a crazy woman. 5 stars and more for Stud! Heat level: 4 (for out of this world sexual tension and absolutely amazing sex scenes).

I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for honest feedback.
Profile Image for Leila.
408 reviews74 followers
November 24, 2019
4 clitoris catnip stars!

Can I write that?? I have to laugh, and then cringe a little that I actually typed those word, but Ainsley was one funny girl with plenty of comical quotes to choose from.

Stud/Off-Limits Crush was another charming installment in the One Wild Wish Series. It was lighthearted, sexy, and funny with a bit of introspection thrown in.

I was worried that I would have a hard time connecting with Ainsley because in Legs/He’s Going Down she seemed like the girl who was all concerned about looks and labels. That was only a small part of what made up Ainsley. The labels were only purchased when she could find them on sale and the looks were when she was helping others dress to highlight their best features. I loved that she worked on crossword puzzles in her spare time and that her jokes were on the raunchier side.

“Will we be using caulking today? Because I love using caulking and hoped to get my hands on some caulk soon. It’s been ages.”

Tired of helping her sleezeball clients find the perfect gifts for their neglected wives…and mistresses, Ainsley’s birthday wish-resolution was to better herself by volunteering her time to helping others. Rachel, one of her best friends, suggest that she volunteer with Habitat For Humanity and that’s where she ends up meeting Owen. Their first meeting, Owen can’t see past the Jimmy Choo’s and Coach purse.

Poor Owen, he’s going through rough divorce, has moved back to San Francisco from Washington D.C., and like Ainsley, wants to find work that has more meaning that just a paycheque. I LOVE a man that can work with his hands and build things…I don’t care what it is. I also loved that Owens ideas on love were “old school” and based on old black and white movies or how his grandmother had raised him to behave towards women.

Over the years, I’d watched every classic movie there was, wishing I could slip to a time when men danced and women sang and loyalty and love were valued over getting ahead. An old soul, my nana always said. Or a romantic. Or just plain trouble.

I loved revisiting Rachel & Jimmy and Gwen. I loved getting to know Emmett, Owen’s brother, better and his quick wit and ass grabbing.

While the conflict was a bit predictable I still found myself enjoying my read. I didn’t have such a problem with the writing style of this book, maybe because I was a bit more used to it? I still found myself having to read a couple of sentences a few times to understand it’s meaning in its shortened form. I’m looking forward to reading about Gwen’s birthday wish next!
Profile Image for Bookgasms Book Blog.
2,717 reviews1,268 followers
October 26, 2017
Here’s the thing: Kelly Siskind consistently writes books that make me want to send her spazzy little heart filled fan letters. That’s not me, you guys. That’s not who I am. But nearly every time I finish a book by this author, I feel compelled to start writing love letters. Our takeaway from this is pretty obvious right?

Magic

I mean, right? There’s obviously some sort of magic in these books, enchanting me with the crafty wording and bewitching me with the solid storytelling.

In case I haven’t made it clear, Stud was no exception to the norm for me. I was every bit as fangirly and love-struck at the end of it as I ever have been. I adored Ainsley and Owen, their chemistry sizzled, their feelings for each other – over the entire course of the book - rang true to me. My heart invested completely in the bumpy road to their happily-ever-after. There’s some clever humor laced throughout this story and if I were pressed to give you a favorite thing, that might be it. There were times I found myself all wrapped up in the high emotion of the story only to feel my grin crack wide open at a throw-away joke tucked smartly into the middle of a more serious moment. This is my favorite thing. This is what makes a love story feel authentic to me. And, unf - Ms. Siskind has a gift for striking that perfect balance.

While I did adore Owen and Ainsley (so much – they’re completely ADORABLE, you guys) – I also lost my heart to some secondary characters. There are some scene-stealers in this book and their stories made me just as happy and as satisfied as Owen and Ainsley’s story did. Additionally, the set-up for Gwen’s story? WHOAMYGOSH. I’m nearly vibrating with need for it now. I’m so excited! I seriously cannot wait!

In all, I could not have been happier with this book. If you like your stories smart, snappy, and stuffed with sweet emotion (and even sweeter heat), Owen and Ainsley will not disappoint. ~ Shelly, 5 Stars
Profile Image for Anna lost in stories *A*.
1,021 reviews166 followers
November 24, 2020
I’m gonna be honest with you… when my lovely sister J randomly picked this book for me to give it a try, and after I read the synopsis, I half expected to DNF it pretty early on… instead, I loved it with all my heart and it's now one of my favourite books I read this year :) and that is definitely saying something, cause I am almost at 200 books :) below you will be able to find random and chaotic thoughts and feelings about this gem :) no spoilers :)

- the synopsis is a bit misleading… in a way that suggests it's gonna be a silly story without much depth… and it’s anything but :) it’s a beautiful book about two complicated grown ups with pasts of their own, falling for one another and I adored it completely :)

- I mistakenly assumed that Ainsley will be a heroine I usually don’t like… more shallow and just… I’m not sure how to put it into words… instead, she really surprised me :) yes, she loves fashion and make up, which is good since she’s working as a stylist, but she’s more than that… I adored how much she loves her friends and family, how sarcastic she can get and her sense of humor in general :)

- similarly, I wasn’t sure about Owen… but again, I loved him… he is in the middle of a nasty divorce and doing his best to piece his life back together…

- after an unfortunate first meeting, this is a slow burn romance about two people finding friendship with each other that grew into something more…

- there were multiple things that could have gone wrong in this story… many moments where it could have gone the usual way of miscommunication and unnecessary drama… and instead I was time and time again surprised by the honesty and maturity with which these characters dealt with things… how they actually talked with each other, and maybe even more important, listened to one another :)

I highly recommend you giving this gem a try… it gave me similar vibes to “Get a life Chloe Brown” by Talia Hibbert, even though the story is quite different… but the way both main characters handled things felt like that book :) I am now very much interested in picking up other books in this series, although this one works perfectly well as a standalone :) as well as trying out other books by this author… cause if she handles all of her stories like she did this one, I’m gonna quickly become a big fan :)

XOXO

A
Profile Image for nick (the infinite limits of love).
2,119 reviews1,325 followers
February 2, 2018

Well, wasn’t this a fun read! Kelly Siskind consistently writes sexy and laugh-out-loud rom-coms that I can’t stop devouring. When the opportunity to read and review Stud arose, I couldn’t say no, especially after having a blast with the first book in the series, Legs. Yet again, Kelly has written an entertaining and swoony tale!

Ainsley and Owen are two of the most fun characters I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading about. Ainsley, especially, was a hoot. Her broken gay-dar and her lack of filter had me in hysterics. I love a female character who is sassy, snarky and unapologetic about herself, so I had no trouble falling for her character. In an attempt to fulfill a birthday resolution before the year is up, she decides to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, which is where she meets Owen. Only, after seeing him with his gay brother, who she also happens to have had a crush on after ogling him at their gym, she mistakes him for gay as well! Talk about a misunderstanding. I liked Owen a lot too. He is dealing with an annoying ex and a divorce that seems never-ending. The guy has a good heart though because I would have thrown that ex off of a cliff for being so irritating. But Owen is a sweetheart, and such a softie on the inside.

I loved watching the relationship between Ainsley and Owen grow. They start off as friends because of Ainsley’s misunderstanding, but from the very beginning there’s a lot of sexual tension! Once the misunderstanding goes away? Phew! All kinds of sparks fly! I loved the banter between the two especially. I feel like any time a romance has lots of great banter, it immediately becomes shippier. There were so many times while reading this book that I was just choking on air because I was laughing too hard! The only thing I wasn’t always a fan of was the role that Owen’s divorce and his ex play in the typical big break up scene you normally find in romance. It was personally not my favorite trope. The secondary characters here are great though. Kelly Siskind writes some of the best female friendships! Ainsley’s girlfriends are a hoot and I love how ridiculously supportive of each other they are. I raved about their dynamic in my review for Legs, but I think I adored that even more here. I can’t wait to read Gwen’s book next in Licks! The teaser at the end of Stud promises a really exciting second chance romance and I am here for it!

If you’re in the mood for a romantic comedy with two fun characters, and a sexy and dreamy romance, be sure to add Stud to your TBRs. While you’re at it, also add everything by Kelly Siskind! 😉
Profile Image for Richelle Robinson.
1,161 reviews35 followers
February 4, 2018
After reading ‘Legs’ I couldn’t wait for to read Ainsley’s story. Ainsley was a spitfire in that book and she didn’t disappoint in this book either. As expected there is another side to her and we got to see the vulnerable and insecure side as well. Owen is such a sweetheart. He had issues of his own but it didn’t stop him from putting Ainsley and the people he cared about first. As the story progressed there was anticipated drama but I loved that it wasn’t dragged out and both parties were able to resolve their issues. I loved catching up with Jimmy and Rachel. Plus the author laid the groundwork for Gwen’s story and I can tell this is going to be a good one! Siskind is an author I found by accident and I have to say I’ve really come to enjoy her books. They are refreshing, fun and easy to read and leaves you satisfied when you’re done.

“Received an ARC for which I voluntarily provided an honest review."

For more reviews check me out at: http://www.shellysbookcorner.com
Profile Image for Rê .
455 reviews56 followers
description

4 “Playing with Words” Stars

ARC provided by the author.

Thank you!!!

I can always count on Kelly Siskind for super sexy, super funny romance stories. Stud is another great addition to this author’s collection and a sure thing for romance fans.

As usual, the protagonist had one of those voices that grabbed my attention immediately. Ainsley was tons of fun in her I-like-design-clothes-but-I’m-not a snob way. I loved how she came across as super relatable despite the fact that she wore every major designer out there. Her devotion to her family made her instantly likable, her friendship with her girls (including Rachel from Legs) was totally friendship-goals, and her lack of bullshit when it came to her sensuality was refreshing. Girlfriend knew she was hot, and she didn’t try to pretend she wasn’t. And when she saw someone she liked, she also didn’t try to play the shy girl. I loved that about her.

Owen didn’t fall far behind. He was another example of this author’s ability to create great love interests. Dude was hot in his jeans and sweaty T-shirts from working in constructions (someone else kept thinking of Fifth Harmony’s Work from Home music video? Nope? Just me. Okay). But what made Owen even more special for me was his black-and-white-movie-gentleman soul. That was such a refreshing aspect. I loved, loved that he enjoyed watching old movies with his grandmother and admired the romantic acts shown in them. But, yeah, he was a fan of dirty talking, too, so there was that. *swoon hard*

The whole thing with Ainsley's broken gay-dar and Owen’s brother was hilarious. By the way, his brother was also an amazing character! All of the misunderstanding lent a funny, light vibe to the story to contrast the tension with Owen’s past.

So, if for some reason you haven’t yet tried one of Kelly Siskind’s book, I don’t know what you’re waiting for.
Profile Image for Courtney.
1,529 reviews180 followers
January 30, 2018
Kelly became one of those go-to and auto-buy authors after I read her Over the Top series in 2016. And she just keeps the excitement alive in her writing with Stud.

Kelly has this witty humor in her writing that keeps it from becoming too obnoxious and over the top. Ainsley and Owen have some of the best chemistry between two characters. I love how the story pans out and things come to fruition. I found myself laughing out loud at certain moments because I was caught up in the book - the book felt alive to me.

I won't give any details of the book because, as with most books, it's just better to go in blind only knowing that you are going to fall in love with the characters and their story. Speaking of characters, the secondary characters in this book were just as amazing. I love how Kelly prepares you for the next book without taking away from this one. Everything just flows right.

Ainsley and Owen will win you over from start to finish. Your heart will break for Owen because of his past and difficult divorce and you will find yourself connecting to Ainsley because of her previous relationship woes. It's impossible to not relate and feel for these two. The banter between one another is perfect and their story is amazing.

Kelly has written another sweet and hilarious romance that I could not get enough of. Bring on the next book!!
Profile Image for Casey Ann Books.
125 reviews417 followers
March 15, 2018
So I loved this novel! Kelly Siskind is one author who will stay with you for a long time.

Ashley and Owen were some of my favorite characters of all time. Thier relationship was so fun to watch. I love that they start off as friends and throughout you feel such amazing sexual tension. Their conversation was so fun too! I cant tell you how many times I was laughing. I find them intelligent and so fun!!! I really enjoyed Kellys writing its very fresh and innovative.

Its nothing like I have read in a long time. It's so different but so fun and entertaining!!! such a good book!! highly recommend.

Profile Image for Kahea.
2,003 reviews102 followers
January 24, 2018
***5 ‘Beach Glass’ Stars***

After reading the little teaser of Stud at the end of Legs there was no doubt in my mind that I’d be making sure that I got myself a copy as soon as possible. Well, let’s be absolutely honest ~ I would have been making grabby hands without it due to my love and enjoyment of the authors writing. And after diving in I can say I absolutely loved Ainsley and Owen’s journey! It was filled with humor, heat, heart and even a few moments where I wanted to toss my Kindle into the freezer (I didn’t) but I loved every moment of it and want more.

Owen didn’t have an easy childhood and is going through one hell of a nasty divorce thanks to his ex, but he’s survived it all and is finally looking to do what feeds his soul. Owen is simply a good man with a golden heart that’s been battered, but not broken. He has his moments, but he’s man enough to own them which only made me love him more.

Ainsley is a force to be reckoned with. She’s sassy, snarky and doesn’t always have an edit button, but all if it is done with such easy that she tends to charm those around her instead of aggravate. But underneath the moxie lay insecurities that keep her in a form of stasis that she has yet to work through. As much as I adore Ainsley, there were many moments when her conversations with herself had me wanting to smack some sense into her, I totally understood why, but whoa...thankfully her generous and compassionate heart and soul tempered things so I could enjoy watching her fulfill her birthday wish.

Owen and Ainsley’s journey to their HEA is all kinds of twisty and turny. Some of the twists were funny and others...not so much, but I enjoyed watching as they not only figured each other out, but themselves. I loved how, because of a few of the bumps in the road, they got to know each other and how it only served to up the smexy chemistry between them, so when finally got on the same track it ended up being explosive. The issues that would rise to test Owen and Ainsley’s budding relationship were no surprise, they were always simmering beneath the surface, and while I totally understood where Ainsley was coming from, I tended to be Team Owen. But I loved how they got everything worked out and where they were at in the end.

Stud was a fun read with just the right amount of drama to keep things interesting. I loved being in both Ainsley and Owen’s heads, Ainsley’s in particular since there were some things she came up with that had me laughing and have stuck with me...the whole catnip thing anyone?? I loved catching up with Jimmy and Rachel (Legs), Gwen and loved Emmett, Nana and Cameron. And that taste of Licks, Gwen’s book, oh boy. I want it like yesterday...but I think I’m gonna have really prepare for what will go down in her story.

Note: Stud can be read as a standalone, but it would be lots more fun to read Legs (Jimmy and Rachel's story) first.

~ Copy provided by the author & voluntarily reviewed ~

Profile Image for Michelle.
Author 22 books438 followers
January 10, 2018
This book was so much fun! Not dinner with the parents fun, but more like playing on a slip-n-slide with a whole litter of puppies fun.

I adore Ainsley. First, for her unapologetically sexual sense of humor. Here's a little preview of an Ainsley-ism:
"It was clitoris catnip."
or
"Great Game."
"You even know who won?"
"I did. I got to watch your ass and thighs flex."

Second, for her fashion metaphors:
"My brief optimism disappeared faster than last season's horrific culottes trend."
"Next, thunderstorms of fire would surely rain down. Or Hammer pants would come back in style."
Third, because she's so not a romance character I've read a hundred times before. There's kind of this thing (more often in YA than adult, but still) where the main character can't put on makeup until the makeover scene a third of the way into the book, and the only person who likes makeup or clothes is the Evil Ex Girlfriend. But in this book, Ainsley loves fashion without being an airhead, and enjoys looking good in such a feminist, ball busting way that I enjoyed the heck out of it. I could definitely see why Owen was into her, and Owen himself checked all my personal sexy boxes.

Fix things? Check. Build furniture? Check. Decent man with actual morals? Check. Hilarious relationship with his gay brother? Okay, that wasn't on my list, but clearly it should have been because Owen's relationship with his brother was an unexpected highlight.

Owen in Siskind's words, because I deeply wish I would have thought of this line first, and thus could have used it in my own book: "Owen wasn't too good to be true. He was truly good."

I love all the layers here. These aren't a couple of characters who sit around sighing into their cornflakes about their love for each other; they're full, vibrant people with a lot going on in their lives. They have complicated pasts and poorly conceived tattoos and at least one divorce between them. They have crap going on in their business lives and financial considerations and oh my gosh, Ainsley's backstory about Chucky Chicken was one of my favorite character backstories I've read.

Is that a thing? Favorite backstory? Well, it is now, because it made her feel like a real person to me, and that's what makes or breaks a lot of my enjoyment of fiction.

Every chapter begins with a crossword definition of a construction term and its sexual double entendre, which triples as a touch of foreshadowing for the chapter. These were such a fun touch, and while I don't even want to think of how much work went into getting enough for a whole book, I found myself looking forward to them with a grin to see what Siskind could pull off next.

Amongst the laughs, there were also some life lessons (okay, sometimes they were still funny, but they were wise, too.) These were two of my favorites:

"Growing up was about owning who you were."

"Isn't variety the spice of life?"
"For now, maybe. Eventually, it's the ingredient for a TV dinner cooked for one."

Need three reasons to read this book?
It will make you laugh.
It will make you fan yourself.
Owen's bad tattoo. (seriously, you don't want to know what those Japanese characters mean? I did. Like, SO bad.)

I received an ARC with no obligation to review and this is my honest opinion of the book.
Profile Image for Kimberly / Love Notes Book Blog.
2,289 reviews115 followers
March 2, 2018
4 stars. This was a good book. This is Owen and Ainsley's story. Ainsley's gaydar is broken. She has a history of being attracted to men and then finding out they are gay. When she makes it her resolution to do more volunteering and be a better person, she starts to work for Habitat for Humanity. There she meets Owen, who is also working on the build. Owen is getting over a bad marriage and, at first, doesn't like Ainsley and misjudges her because she is a fashionista, but he soon realizes that she is a nice, happy person. He is attracted to her and wants to ask her out, but through a series of funny events, Ainsley comes to think that he is gay. So she friendzones him and the two begin hanging out as buddies. They get to know each other very well and really like each other. When Ainsley finds out that he is not gay, the sparks fly between them and they begin a relationship. They do have some problems to face, mainly Owen's ex causing drama between them, but they do finally work everything out and fall for each other.

I liked both Owen and Ainsley. They were really quirky, layered, interesting and intelligent characters. The story was cute and fun, but also had depth and some emotion. I was glad that Ainsley thinking Owen was gay did not get dragged out for too long. The writing was very good. Something about it reminded me of Penny Reid's writing, but with a little more heat. I didn't think the title of Stud or the cover really fit very well with the story, because Owen wasn't a stud. He wasn't a manwhore. He was a sensitive, nice guy. I wanted him to be a little less passive all around, but, overall, he was a good guy, a doll who really adored Ainsley. There was some unnecessary drama centered around Owen's ex and his divorce, causing Ainsley to feel insecure and hurt. I don't love stories that focus on past ex drama, but I felt like it was handled okay. This is not my favorite theme though. Something did keep me from fully connecting with the book and fully loving it. Still, this was a solid 4 star read for me. I see a lot of potential in this author's work so I will definitely try her again in the future. Overall, I enjoyed this smart, thoughtful romance and I look forward to more from Ms. Siskind!
Profile Image for Cristina (My Tiny Obsessions).
470 reviews98 followers
February 7, 2018
Read full review HERE

description

I love Kelly Siskind’s books, and this one was not an exception. After Legs, I wanted to read more about Rachel’s friends, and I’m so happy we finally got a book about Ainsley and Owen.

If you haven’t read any of Kelly’s books, I don’t know what you’re doing, because her writing is amazing, super funny, with a lot of emotion thrown into it. I have to say that I ended up liking Stud more than I liked Legs, because I felt like the story and plot were better. I loved LOVED LOVED the story. And the characters… Owen is AMAZING, and he kind of reminds me of Sam (from Chasing Crazy) for some reason. Whatever, I loved him, how he loved so fiercely… And Ainsley is a hoot! Even though she was so scared of getting hurt, she was funny and she let herself feel, and I loved her.

The fact that their relationship started as friendship was a big plus for me, and the chemistry between these 2 characters was off the charts.

What kept me from loving this book anymore than I did, was the fact that it felt a little slow for the first half of it. There was nothing wrong with the pacing, it just felt slow to me, which kept me from enjoying it more.

EITHER WAY, ANOTHER AMAZING BOOK FROM KELLY SISKIND, AND I SERIOUSLY RECOMMEND YOU TO READ THIS BOOK, AND ALL HER OTHER BOOKS. BECAUSE SHE’S THE BOMB!
Profile Image for Jenny B.
1,181 reviews22 followers
February 1, 2018
What a fantastic read about two different worlds colliding. Kelly Siskind has once again had me laughing out loud and swooning over Owen. The characters were a blast to read about and the chemistry between them was just perfect. this story completely kept my attention and had me page turning for more and more (discreetly at my desk while working --oops).
Profile Image for Tammy Murray.
27 reviews7 followers

STUD Review
A special thank you to author Kelly Siskind for a free ARC in exchange for an honest review; the opinions expressed here are my own and I have not been compensated.

I loved STUD as much as Siskind’s first book Legs! Her character dialogue is always real, and her scenes SMOKING HOT! At points I stop reading because I KNOW there’s a plot twist coming, and am afraid to read it. I never want anything bad to happen to her honest and engaging characters.
This was another smart, sexy, and sophisticated page turner from Siskind.
Can’t wait for her next book!
533 reviews10 followers
January 19, 2018
I’m gonna start by saying that Kelly has become one of my favorite authors. He writing is everything. It gives you all emotions in one book and I love it. Stud is a romantic comedy and it makes you laugh and swoon at the same time. The characters chemistry is off the charts and the witty banter is so entertaining that once you are done you truly want more.

Owen is going thru a nasty divorce, has left his life back at Home to start somewhere knew. He wants to reinvent him self new job, new place and he volunteers at habitat for humanity building houses. He is a bit bitter with all that is going on in his life and he knows it. But when a bombshell blond walks up to him he doesn’t know what to do. She is in his mind but he is sure that she is a superficial as she looks.
Ainsley a personal shopper to some sleazy lawyers and some good ones. Works hard, loves fashion but she feel like she is missing something. Since it was almost her birthday and her friends came up with the idea that each of them should have a life changing resolution, she need it to do something about it. She always wanted to help, to volunteer for a greater cause and she decided it was time.
Volunteering in Habitat for Humanity would be great for her. She meets Owen and she is attracted to him but she is also having some bad luck with man lately. So what’s it gonna be? Read and find out.

The banter in this story between Owen and Ainsley is hilarious and hot. The chemistry is of the charts, this two are amazing together. The story flows and when you get to the end you just want more. I had a smile on my face the whole time reading this. Kelly’s writing makes me happy and Owen is swoon worthy! 5 hot Stars

** I read an ARC of this book and this is my honest review
Profile Image for Anne - Books of My Heart.
2,883 reviews191 followers
May 10, 2018
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I was correct -  the One Wild Wish series  continues with one of Rachel's friends, Ainsley, and one of Jimmy's friends, Owen. I really liked both Ainsley and Owen. I am so lucky to get this one on audio also.  The chapter subtitles for Stud are construction terms which are freaking hilarious!

Owen is going through a horrible divorce. He's a good guy who has always been honorable in his relationships. He's moved back to San Francisco where he went to high school from DC. He's connecting with his old friend Jimmy and his Nana, and his brother, Emmet.  He's volunteering with Habitat for Humanity to give to the community while he puts together his career changes.

Ainsley is a prime example of don't judge the fashionista princess by her cover.  She doesn't like some of her clients and has some issues from a high school bully and a boyfriend who cheated. She meets Owen at the Habitat for Humanity site where she is trying to improve her life by helping others. Her high school bully also shows up at the project. Ainsley grows by shoring up her courage to make changes in her career, take a chance with Owen and face the bully.  Trust is hard for her, though.

I was happy to see all the friends and family from Legs plus a few new characters. The character development and growth gave me all the feels. Stud is another hot, sexy winner!  I'm ready for Licks which is out in June.
Narration:
I listened at 1.5x speed which is unusual but it worked surprisingly well. There were two narrators; the same as for Legs.  The chapters in the story alternated between Ainsley and Owen's point of view. Samantha Cook handled Ainsley's chapters; while Aaron Shedlock performed Owen's chapters.  I liked Samantha Cook's Ainsley right away, but it took me a bit to It took me a momentt to feel Aaron Shedlock as Owen because it was too close in my head to Jimmy.  The narration was good and added to my enjoyment of the story.

Listen to a clip:

Profile Image for Patty.
3,713 reviews25 followers
May 4, 2018
Consistently funny and oh so sexy, Kelly Siskind has the second of the One Wild Wish series, Stud. I can't tell you how refreshing it is to have heroes who are not your typical billionaire, but a real life, hard working man and woman finding their stride together. We met Ainsley in Legs as one of the 3 women that share a birthday. She too made a life changing wish when she turned 27. As Ainsley is trying to get her life in order, she ends up at Habitat for Humanity, volunteering her time to help build houses for the less fortunate. She is unhappy at her job, has major trust issues with men and is always attracted to gay men. In walks Owen, who also is giving of his time. Owen is going through a messy divorce. When he meets Ainsley, he realizes his whole world is about to change and you can feel their chemistry instantly. I love how Siskind integrates not only the love story, but the importance of helping others. Watching the houses go up as the story progresses is a wonderful testament to those that do take the time to help out. I also love Owen's love of all things older movies and dancing. We also have our good friends, Rachel and Gwen stop in and give sage advice to Ainsley keeping her on the path to having her wish come true, as well as the introduction of Emmett(Owen's brother) and Cameron. And who can't resist a good soccer game? So many good things wrapped up into one sweet, funny, hot, romantic story sure to keep you smiling.

Narration by Aaron Shedlock and Samantha Cook is just amazing. Shedlock brings that voice of blue collar sexiness and warmth with Owen, as well as showing his frustration and vulnerability. As Ainsley, Cook is perfection giving her an edgy yet emotional feel as she works through her past and finds her path to making her wish come true.
Profile Image for Tiffany Readz.
1,818 reviews45 followers
Slow Start for Me

In Stud, Kelly Siskind gives her readers a little bit of everything, handsome men, best gal pals and a boat load of humor. This is my first book by her, so I was a little put off by Ainsley's sense of humor (a fashionista I am not), however her quick wit quickly made up for it.

Ainsley and Owen are at an age where they are finally ready to settle down, but both seem to have issues from thier past standing in the way. Ainsley's is how her job makes her feel and some past boy/man troubles and Owens is mama and ex issues. On paper these two are quite the mess, in this book, they are actually quite interesting.

When Ainsley finally decides to take her future by the horns, there is yet another gay guy in her sights. She admits her gaydar has been on the fritz lately and her last two conquests prove it, since they are dating each other. Just kidding, but it's that bad for her.

Owen isn't gay and isn't ready to dip his toe back in the lady pool just yet, until he meets the quirky Anisley. Owen has a lot to clean up in his life and fears he isn't the man she needs right now, however can't seem to stay away from her. Once they both realize all of thier friends know each other, it's game on.

The book is well written and a little pretentious and predictable at times. I liked Owen right away, while Ainsley had to grow on me. I also likde how they both had a nice group of friends to lean on and actually give them good advise. Stud seems to somehow be connected to Legs, but reads a stand alone.

reviewed for Renee Entress's Blog.
Profile Image for Cheryl Whitty.
904 reviews14 followers
February 3, 2018
Reviewed on behalf of http://bookaddict.live,
This was an entertaining romantic comedy from Kelly Siskind, this is the first time I have read one of her books and  it won’t be the last. Sometimes we want a fun read that will bring a smile to your face. The one thing I loved was they were two normal people. Ainsley is a personal shopper who is tired of buying gifts for cheating husbands’ wives and girlfriends, it makes her uncomfortable. So to make herself feel better she volunteers at A Habitat for Humanity project. There she meets Owen, at first thinking he is gay and they become friends. Owen is making hand made furniture and volunteering at the same site as Ansley. The sexual tension is there from the beginning, and once Ansley finds out he isn’t gay. Its full steam ahead, and not a Billionaire in sight.
This is witty and enjoyable romantic comedy, and the sexual tension between Owen and Ainsley was HOT. Unfortunately they both had previous failed relationships, that effected the way they view each other. What follows is comedy of errors, love and misunderstandings. I love Owen he was a sweetie, and fell for Ainsley straight away. As we know the path to true love is never smooth. Also a good cast of characters to support the main couple. If you like a good laugh this is for you. I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Kim.
2,435 reviews378 followers
February 17, 2018
Find this review and more at kimberlyfaye reads.

I have a new favorite book boyfriend and his name is Owen Phillips. My goodness did this man to things to me. He was so sweet and sexy and just… good. I swooned all over the place for him. Also, Ainsley is pretty amazing in her own right and I have a total girl crush on her. I would so be friends with her in real life. She was totally relatable and I loved her sassy, smart self.

Stud was such a fun read. It was light and sweet and kept me chuckling, but also got me in the feels a couple times. Ainsley and her gal pals — including Rachel from Legs – are absolutely hilarious and awesome and show what female friendships should really be. I love their banter and how they’re truly there for each other. It’s so good. I also loved Owen’s relationship with his brother, Emmett. (I would SO love to see Emmett get a book or novella of his own one of these days. Yes, I’m greedy.)

My favorite part about the book, however, should be no surprise at all. It’s the romance between Ainsley and Owen. Actually, it’s everything about Ainsley and Owen — from the first meet to the friendship they built and finally to the super swoony and sexy af relationship. These two had so much chemistry it was hard to believe Ainsley could ever think he was gay. Of course, given her past crushes on gay men, I can also understand why she was cautious. But it did make for some good laughs as she realized that no, Owen really was as straight as they come. And he was just as into her as she was him. Of course there were some obstacles — *cough* Owen’s ex wife *cough* — but the book never got too angsty. And it didn’t fall victim to the conflict-could’ve-been-solved-with-one-conversation-itis that’s so common in books.

If you’re looking for your next favorite romance read, you should definitely think about Stud. It was the perfect mix of sweet, steamy and funny, a pure delight.

I received a complimentary copy of this book for review consideration. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

FAVORITE QUOTES

I believe in love at first sight. In happily ever after. I believed in touches that healed and kisses that could cut a man down.

My gaydar wasn’t just broken. It was smashed, splintered, and had been set on fire. I could never trust my intuition again.

“I’m going to fucking ravage you.”
“I’m going to fuck you so hard the sheets will catch fire.”
Profile Image for United Indie Book Blog.
4,233 reviews78 followers
January 25, 2018
Amazing! This is my first time reading one of Kelly Siskind books. I've fallen in love with her story. This story is about Ainsley and Owen. I love the attraction between them, and the banter and wittiness bring lots of LOL moments. They both have trust issues due to past relationships. I love the way that Kelly wrote each characters. This story will have you laughing so hard that you just might pee your pants with Ainsley-ism. This is a MUST READ!!!!!! Go ahead and get it this one. You will NOT be disappointed either. Keep up the awesome work! I will definitely going back and reading more from this author.

Review by Chantelle
Profile Image for E.L. Wicker.
Author 6 books51 followers
April 16, 2018
One housing project. Two sexy volunteers. Enough sparks to set you on fire.

When Ainsley, determined to do something worthwhile with her life, joins a habitat for humanity project, she meets the gorgeous yet broody Owen. Owen’s got baggage bigger than Ainsley’s 3-piece Prada suitcases, and Ainsley has a history of terrible luck with men. Still, with the two working side by side, a deep attraction forms.

I absolutely loved this book and shunned my responsibilities to read it in a couple of sittings. Ainsley’s dirty sense of humor had me laughing my socks off, and Owen’s sexiness made my panties melt.

Kelly writes so well. Every word is beautifully written. She masterfully crafts characters and friendships that you can’t help but love and want to be a part of. Each individual character is formed so fully that they come to life on the page. If there is only one thing you can do next, read this. It’s worth every millisecond of your time.
Profile Image for Read.Review.Repeat Blog.
4,651 reviews86 followers
February 9, 2018
Awe I just loved this book. It was a light, easy, and funny read. I fell completely in love with Ainsley. She seems like the perfect girl. She’s curvy and isn’t afraid to show it off. I wish I had the wit she has. And Owen? Mmmmmm I would love to sit and look at him all day. He is so dreamy and yummy and everything in between. This was my first Kelly Siskind book and it won’t be my last!

Ainsley and Owen were so different at first look that it was going to be fun for me to see how they worked together. But appearances are never the real person. And in this story it was true for both. There was tons of laugh out loud moments and some drama that added to the story but the chemistry coming off the two of them when together was off the charts HOT.
Profile Image for Caryn - iam.caryn.
716 reviews85 followers
May 25, 2020
Kelly Siskind writes love stories that I just... love. They feel so real that it actually makes me sad when I reach the end because I have to say goodbye to these characters.

This book will likely be my favourite of the trilogy because Ainsley is my favourite character. She’s such a sweetheart. I loved learning more about her and seeing her growth to make her birthday wish a reality.

What was extra fun in this book was the dictionary words with the double meanings that were at the beginning of each chapter. It was a great addition.

I actually shed a few tears in the final chapter (the one before the epilogue). Siskind fully gets emotions and can make her readers feel exactly what her characters are feeling.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 178 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.