Start by marking “Spider-Man (2019-) #1 (of 5)” as Want to Read:
Spider-Man (2019-) #1 (of 5)

Spider-Man (2019-) #1

(Spider-Man: Miniseries)

The most shocking and incredible comic of 2019 is here as J.J. ABRAMS (STAR WARS, STAR TREK, SUPER 8) and his son HENRY ABRAMS are joined by superstar artist SARA PICHELLI (MILES MORALES, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY) team up for SPIDER-MAN! What do they have planned for Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson?! Who is Cadaverous?! The Modern Master of Mystery Makes His Marvel this S ...more
Published September 18th 2019

Start your review of Spider-Man (2019-) #1 (of 5)
James DeSantis
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
A solid start to a new series. If read renew your vows or the old spidergirl series about a decade ago you might get similar vibes. Art is solid and the new main hero is interesting. I also like what they did with Peter.

Sure the villain is kind of blend and the "kill this woman to drive a man's future plot progress" feels old but it worked well enough. A 3.5 out of 5.
Aldo Haegemans
Wow! I'm in love.
Doug Koehler
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story makes me wonder if we are in an alternate universe or Parker's future? Will this limited series earn its own monthly comic? Don't you want to find out?

Spider-Man 1 of 6 provided what I was not expecting. With each page I was commenting to myself saying, "What the heck" and "No way!" As I do not want to provide spoilers, my commentary will be limited, but let me tell you that this story feels like a movie in the making. Within, we have new characters and new personalities, meaning
Kelli Santistevan
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I just read this comic online on a website. I think that it was interesting the way the comic was written but I found the story line confusing. I understand it’s supposed to be different from the original Spider-Man comic but I didn’t like it as much. I’ve never read the original comic but I’m familiar with the story because I saw the film adaptation of the comic a long time ago. I like the artwork in this comic but I’m not going to continue reading the other issues of this comic.
Anthony
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Does feel a little that JJ Abrams is using his name to get his son noticed.p, but if they're going to make decent comics while doing so I guess I can't moan too much. This wasn't actually too bad.
heidi
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did MJ get fridged right at the beginning of this story, or not? Somehow I have a feeling she (or her consciousness or a copy of her idk) is actually still alive. I'm suspending judgment for now. Might revise this review based on what we learn in future issues.

Artwork: beautifully done by Sara Pichelli. I love her more realistic renditions of human figures – compared to the works of too many male artists who exaggerate the muscle bulk on male characters and the breast size of female
James
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ok this was good. Not sure if this is alternate universe or Spider-mans real upcoming future. Either way this was a really good intro so far.
Perceptive
Oct 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
If you are thinking of picking up this series:

DON’T. Go pick up Nick Spencer’s Amazing Spider-Man or Tom Taylor’s Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man. If you want to see an AU Spider-Man explore his world in a very different way, pick up Chip Zdarsky’s recently concluded Spider-Man: Life Story. They are all worth your time. The Abrams miniseries (which OF COURSE is an AU) is a hackneyed mess of tired tropes and dull cliches without anything new at all.

The killing of (view spoiler) ...more
Gabe
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Today I received a Google notification discussing JJ Abrams different direction for Spider-Man. There was a spoiler alert so I had to ditch the article and get this comic. Spider-Man is my favorite superhero and I found out JJ Abrams was working on a Spider-Man comic. Also I want to note that I am a complete sucker for articles that Google notifies me on. I get random notifications about Eric Andre, Jay Cutler, and Spider-Man just in the past few days. The future is now.

Abrams takes
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
First of all, WHAT THE FUCK J.J. ABRAMS? HOW COULD YOU? Second, that was one hell of a first issue! I was definitely not expecting that particular twist, but I can see how it impacts the rest of the story. That doesn't mean I have to like it!

This new Spider-Man is likely going to be about Peter and MJ's son, Ben. I love it when we see what our Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man is like with kids, which is one of the reasons I enjoyed Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows so much (they had a daughter in that one).
Matthew
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's been a long time since I've read a comic issue-at-a-time, and I forgot how often you finish an issue and feel like it's just a sliver of a larger story... that you have to wait months to complete 😅

Anyway, this has potential, it felt like a very compelling prelude, so we will see where it goes. I love the backstory to how this became a thing - and how Marvel had been trying to get JJ to write this since his "Alias" days, which is when I became a JJ fan myself.
Anna Heidick
This comic feels like an interesting 'what if' scenario. The villains are mysterious and look really cool, (if not very reminiscent of a certain other well known franchise). The hero.. *Shrugs* I wont give anything away, you'll just have to see for yourself. I think going in blind for this one may be for the best.
Geoff
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Well the art and colors carried this.

I didn’t need a story where they murder a character right off the bat to justify some change in the usual. It is 2019 and this is Spider-Man. This just felt like uninspired writing.

I’m disappointed. I was hoping for more.
Xavi Marturet
Shelves: comic-book
Excellent!
This is the first time since Miller's DD I read a Marvel story where one character can have a relaunchment.

Today this is the ONLY Marvel series we can read.

The J.J. Abrams story has everything a long time reader can dream.
And it has everything a new reader could expect.
Christopher Spiegel
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Weird

I’ll have to see where this is headed... who or what the heck are the antagonists from the start of the story that ssspppeeaakkk weeeiirrddly???
Tobin Elliott
Nice to see Marvel allowing someone to take some chances with their baby. I quite enjoyed this opening gambit.
John
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-book
Bloodline
charles-etienne beaulne
Force awakens of Spider-Man

JJ Abrams twist on the new Spider-Man is a delight. Well written so far. Can’t wait for the next issue.
Travis Pipes
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
actually like this more than i anticipated. Sara Pichelli’s art is the best it has been for awhile now.
Anthony
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This book didn’t really do it for me, cant decide if i wanna continue reading the series.
Dimitris
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really liked it!

+1 Star for the awesome artwork that I want more of.

Story is good and looks promising!

Can't wait for the next one.
Mat
Sep 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Lots of interesting ideas, I'm interested to see where the story will lead to next.
Utena
This comic review can be found at The Book Review.
◭Fay◭
Sep 18, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• X-Men (2019-) #1
  • Harleen (2019-) #1
  • House of X (2019) #5 (of 6)
  • Powers of X (2019) #4 (of 6)
  • Powers of X (2019) #5 (of 6)
  • House of X (2019) #4 (of 6)
  • Joker/Harley: Criminal Sanity (2019-) #1
  • House of X (2019) #1 (of 6): Director’s Cut
  • House of X (2019) #6 (of 6)
  • Joker: Year of the Villain (2019-) #1 (DC's Year of the Villain (2019-))
  • Joker: Killer Smile (2019-) #1
  • Powers of X (2019) #6 (of 6)
  • House of X (2019) #2 (of 6)
  • Absolute Carnage (2019) #2 (of 5)
  • Powers of X (2019) #3 (of 6)
  • Excalibur (2019-) #1
  • Powers of X (2019) #2 (of 6)
  • House of X (2019) #3 (of 6)
Jeffrey Jacob "J. J." Abrams is an American film and television producer, screenwriter, director, actor, composer, and founder of Bad Robot Productions. An Emmy and Golden Globe-winner, he is known as the creator or co-creator of the television series Felicity, Alias, Lost, and Fringe, and as a director of films including Mission: Impossible III and the 2009 feature Star Trek.

Spider-Man: Miniseries (1 - 10 of 60 books)
  • Spider-Man: Deadly Foes of Spider-Man