Start by marking “Counting Backwards From Gone” as Want to Read:
Counting Backwards From Gone

Counting Backwards From Gone

On November 27, 2013, Kat Savage’s life forever changed. Her little sister, Angela, was brutally murdered and Savage has been searching for the strength to write her grief down ever since. Finally, just shy of six years later, and one year after justice finally rained down upon the man to blame, Savage found the courage to try. This collection is an 18-poem narrative of ...more
Published September 20th 2019 by Independently published

To ask other readers questions about Counting Backwards From Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Counting Backwards From Gone

Start your review of Counting Backwards From Gone
Tiffany S
Heart wrenching collection

The cover of this is collection is so beautiful. You see it and can’t help but want to pick it up.

Then I read the words, the grief, and somewhere around “10” tears start steaming down my face and the rest is read through the blur of tears.

So looking at the cover now, the long blonde hair; the halo... I can’t help but cry more. I can’t help but feel the anguish. I can’t help but want to hold and hug the author, a big sister like myself.

J.R. Rogue
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This poetry collection, about the author’s loss of her sister, punched a giant hole in my chest. I had to stop many times to wipe the tears.

If you’ve experienced loss and want to feel less alone, pick this up.
Maria
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t know if I’ve ever read something so personal in my entire life like Counting Backwards from Goodbye. Kat delivers an explosive recounting of an unspeakable horrific tragedy. I literally felt my blood drain from my body as I read to the beginning, my instinct screamed with her and rage burned just as bright. WE DO NOT DESERVE KAT SAVAGE and here she is giving us works of art that raise the mother fucking bar.
Brigitte Thomas
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My heart is still aching in my chest, and there are literally tears drying on my cheeks. This poetry book was a gut punch, but at the same time, somehow, a comfort. As someone who sometimes gets so lost in grief that they can't see straight, these poems made me feel less alone in my grief. Kat has put something so painful in words, and it moved me. Truly. Deep and powerful.
Sarah Barrios
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kat Savage writes this book of poetry in a raw and emotional dedication to her little sister’s death. She holds nothing back and let’s her emotions bleed onto the pages. From page one she had me in the palm of her hand, tears running down my face. Immediately after finishing the last page I wanted to turn it over and start page one all over again.
Talon
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Still not 100% convinced that I deserve Kat Savage. I really don’t.

But man, she strung these words together and made the most beautiful sounds and images. The sounds traveled to my heart and I felt it in my bones.

You guys be sure to be on the look out for her newest collection.
K
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kat's latest collection has left me speechless. She usually does. With every word Kat's grief crawled off of the page and into my heart. Number 14 hit me the hardest, for some reason.
Christina Smith
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These words will haunt you.

The entire time I was reading this I felt like I was looking in on something I shouldn't be seeing. It felt too intimate. The grief, so transparent on every page I wanted to look away, but I couldn't.

Haunting and beautiful, she gives you a front row seat into the trenches of the kind of hurt that overwelms in the wake of a loss that is so close to her heart it feels like a piece of you was lost with it.

Kat's words are heavy and they bleed.

Be warned.
Breann
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: schmoetry
Short and sad

I normally try to infuse humor in my reviews, but there is nothing funny about this poetry. Her grief is an itchy sweater that left me feeling cold and uncomfortable. And that is as terrible as it is inspiring.

I’m in awe of poets that can put their emotions on display and embrace this level of vulnerability.

In my opinion, the formatting/numbering is well thought out, making the group cohesive and enhancing the overall quality of the collection.
Muhemed Masika
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lead you here
Readingtilthebreakofdawn
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kat frickin Savage....what can I say about this collection?

From the cover, which is absolutely stunning, to the very end, this book is a thing of beauty and pain. You can feel the heartbreak, the anguish and the love this woman has for her sister. I can't imagine the onslaught of emotions she must have felt and still feels.
These are deeply personal poems that she shared with us and I can't say anything bad about them. I will say that I had to stop after 2-3 poems each night because of the tears
Briana
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kat Savage has always been one of my favorite writers. I lover her style and her words. Her poetry has always touched my heart and soul and I often feel drawn to it when I need to know I’m not alone.

This collection is a beautiful offering to her sister and the awful tragedy everyone has lived in her family. Kat Savage writes about a loss that doesn’t just stop and the heartbreak that is felt over and over. Kat truly does justice for her sister and the life she didn’t get to live and I can
Kat
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are moments in time that will forever be ingrained into one’s being. Moments and events that occur in this world that don’t effect your every day life but once you’ve been exposed to the evil you can’t run from it.
This book of poems is one of those moments.
Kat has ripped from her chest the pain and grief that simmers within every day since her sister was violently taken.
Kat put into words how even the most mundane parts of living after death is excruciating. How the sun will never rise
Elizabeth Sanders
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You're going to need some tissues before you start reading this poetry collection.

I am speechless.

This poetry collection is raw. It's so powerful. It's heart wrenching. Kat is vulnerable. The pain in this poetry collection, you can feel it. I can feel the heartbreak and anguish. I had to wipe my tears many times. This is such a beautiful poetry collection. The love that Kat has for her Sister. Much love to you Kat and to your family.
Chasity
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cannot even imagine what Kat and her family have gone through and continue to suffer today. This was a raw, gripping, and powerful collection exposing the truth of devastation Kat has endured. Never has a poetry collection make me weep as this one did.
Persephone
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collection of poems seeped into my marrow and bled through my pores. So devastatingly beautiful. And not for the faint of heart. If there is one I love about poetry, it’s that it tells a powerful story. And Kat has exposed herself in these poems.
Autumn
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This.

I don't think I have the words to accurately express how deeply this collection affected me. I'm sitting here fresh off of reading it, and I'm taken to my past and I'm speechless.

These poems are raw and beautiful. They tore at my heart strings.
K Marie
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collection gutted me, but in the most beautiful of ways.
Misty
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You think you know grief. What it feels like. How to cope. Then Kat comes along and truly opens your eyes.
There’s so much beauty in her pain. With every page I kept repeating, “I’m so sorry.”
You know you’ve come across true talent when you grieve a loss that isn’t yours. You feel heavy deep in your marrow.
This is love and this is loss. Thank you for your words, Kat.
Joli
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and vulnerable.
Kari
grieving is ugly and a hard burden to bear but this, this was beautiful. i don't really have words for this but this is the amount of vulnerability and honesty i hope to be able to display one day. with this much courage.
Kinsey Taylor
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I’ve been able to visually see since my surgery on 09/16. It was the first one I knew my searching heart would run to, once I could. Thankful for the large sized lettering on my Kindle tonight to be able to enlarge and witness and feel the words cut so deep. Kat!! If I could wrap you in my arms and hold you, whisper how proud of you I am for sharing your words of love, pain and strength, I would. You’re so brave for cutting yourself wide open to share your truths. Thank ...more
Scott
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Poetry is my first love. There are many poets I admire. Sylvia Plath has always been my favorite. After reading this book, Kat is tied for 1st place.I felt every human emotion possible while reading this book. I could feel every single word in every line she wrote. It's impossible for me to describe how important this work of art is to the world. I strongly suggest buying a copy for yourself and another copy for a friend. Whether you are a fan of poetry or not, you will love this book. Kat ...more
Andrea
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A heartbreaking, touching and raw prayer of love. One of the most transparent collections, Kat Savage leaves her heart on every page, space and word.

You can feel the sigh of yearning and pain as you read...
Alaina Rembold
Brittany
Nov 27, 2019

• I'm Not Your Paper Princess
  • Our Water Graveyard
  • Half Truths (Secret Society, #1)
  • Teach Me: A Novella
  • Hate Me
  • Ruin Me
  • Insolent
  • Downfall (Kingdoms of Sin, #1)
  • Don't Tell Me to Be Quiet
  • The Rebound: A Novel
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • Teófila’s Guide to Saving the Sun (The Guiding Series, #1)
  • Bloom
  • Almost Home: Poems
  • Finding Perfect
  • Apus: Poems
  • The Wives
  • There Is Beauty In the Bleeding
Kat Savage’s unique brand of storytelling combines some of her own truths with a little bit of fiction to connect to people in a very real way. She writes about ugly things authentically and shamelessly.

She recently combined her former self-published chapbooks into one collected volume of poetry titled This is How I Die and is currently working on her debut novel For Now.