Start by marking “Deosil (Whyborne & Griffin #11)” as Want to Read:
Deosil (Whyborne & Griffin #11)

Deosil

(Whyborne & Griffin #11)

Whyborne, Griffin, and their friends have faced down cultists, monsters, and sorcerers. But their greatest challenge is now upon them.

On the return voyage from Balefire Manor, Whyborne receives the worst news possible: Widdershins has fallen before the onslaught of the Fideles and their servants. There’s still time to stop the return of the Masters, but that window grows
Published October 11th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Deosil, please sign up.
Chantal De Wit The second half of 2019
So we still have to wait a while…more
The second half of 2019😢
So we still have to wait a while(less)

Start your review of Deosil (Whyborne & Griffin #11)
K.J. Charles
The Whyborn and Griffin series is a hugely impressive fantasy romance epic--11 books of complex world-building--and this last instalment brings the whole thing to a satisfying conclusion with terrific skill, incorporating pretty much everything that's gone before, wrapping up the eldritch threat plot, the magical development, and the interpersonal relationships really nicely. It's a massive special-effects spectacular, but it also hangs the crucial plot elements and events on human-scale love ...more
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars!

Eleven books read over 5 years and what a journey!

I will just simply reiterate that Hawk has created something special here. It has romance and epic love and a battle against good and evil that is complex and rich with legend and lore.

What I will remember most is that this series has heart.

I’m sad to say goodbye to this wonderful group of characters and again, if you haven’t started with Widdershins, then what are you waiting for?
Meags
3.5 Stars

Seven years, eleven novels and a handful of short stories later, we finally reach the closing chapter of this much beloved M/M series.

This final instalment hits the ground running, with Whyborne and co. returning home from their dangerous crusade, having saved the surviving Endicott’s in a brutal standoff at Balefire Manor, only to discover that Widdershins has fallen to the Fideles in their absence.

A race against time to save loved ones and to stop the masters from returning to
☙ percy ❧
i'm sad bc this is the last one but also it was the perfect finale and mY HEART IS JUST SO FUCKING FULL RIGHT NOW AND I JUST --

on one hand, i'm like yes, everything is wrapped up perfectly, good. but on the other, i'm like, if i don't get a spin-off with (view spoiler) i'm highkey rioting

-----

THE TITLE!!!

it's like it's all coming to a circle and a close (which it is) but the title just highlights that and i'm EMO

Ms. Smartarse
Eleven books later, we finally got to the end of the series. It came with a suitable amount of foreshadowing and some quite sophisticated preparation. There's never a boring moment to be had, with plenty of exciting action scenes, not to mention some truly heart-breaking ones, as well.

scene from a fantasy game

Honestly, if I were to consider Deosil solely based on its action/adventure content, it would be truly above reproach, and a very fitting ending to the series as a whole.

BUT. You could totally see the "but"
milou  ☕️
“You’re everything to me,” he said quietly. “None of this means anything, if you’re not with me.”

Percy, Griffin, Christine and Iskander have faced many foes together all across the globe, but there is still one evil force left that hits them closer to home. At their beloved Widdershins.

・ 。゚:. *. .* :゚.

Italian Trulli

Honestly, it stung me when I had to shut down this book after the final chapter because I still do not want to series to be over. This series, which I love wholeheartedly, to which I’ve
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
Trust the sublime Jordan L. Hawk and the beloved Whyborne and Griffin to end my reading slump.

Except.

Except...it's over. The series has reached its spectacularly satisfying conclusion. And I can't help but wonder: what do I do now?

Cry just a little. Okay, more than a little. But acceptance is the final stage of grief. Amid tears, I accept that all good things must come to an end. And really, I’m grateful. Deosil is a pretty much perfect conclusion to a pretty much perfect series.

The very first
~Volha~
The last chapter of Whyborne and Griffin exceeded my expectations! Wow, what a rush! I must admit that I got really emotional at times! This was the last adventure of a wonderful quartet of friends! The close bond between Griffin, Whyborne, Christine and Iskander held them through some of the roughest times of their lives. Jordan L. Hawk went to town with magic, gore and fascinating horror creatures that boggled my mind in the best way possible! I loved it!

This book starts right where the last
Kaje Harper
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book ends the delightful series, although it's a suspenseful and twisty ride to the finish line. We see Whyborne at his best, doing things he'd never have believed himself capable of when the stories began. We see Griffin having overcome some of his worse fears, and finally having a wider community that feels like home. Christine is her delightful self, and a host of secondary characters come together to defend Widdershins in the final battle.

This could have gone darker - in fact, a few
Elena
Fast-paced and action-packed, Deosil’s plot hit the ground running and didn’t slow down until the end.
Even though some things didn’t come as a complete surprise (I don’t know if I saw spoilers and forgot about them or my brain did some kind of scary connection and went there all by itself, but I was expecting (view spoiler), and I had a feeling (view spoiler)
Richard Derus
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindled, quiltbag
This book will make no sense whatsoever to you if you haven't read the previous ten. If you have, you've probably already read it; if you haven't, start with Widdershins, and if you're hooked you'll keep buying until you get to this one.

I love series reads. I am a fan of the familiar, homely comforts of visiting old friends in their digs, and that's a lot of the appeal of series reads. It's also true that some series continue long past the point they have something new to say. Author Hawk
Deborah
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5*

This has been a fabulous series. An unforgettable series filled with amazing characters and adventure.

This, the final book has action and excitement on every page. As Whyborne and Persephone battle the Masters.

It’s everything the final book should be.

Or is it?

It’s me. I know people say that but in this case it really is me. I just didn’t love this book. I don’t even know why. And honestly it ticks all the boxes. Is it just despair that the series which has consumed me for two weeks is
Gabi
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A worthy ending for an amazing series. I really enjoyed it.
Thanks for reading with me Linda, Elena and Rosa! :)
Jewel
I've spent the last two and a half weeks reading this series and it's been an amazing journey. Now that I'm done, though, I have no idea what to do with myself. I'm in awe at just how quickly and thoroughly this series grabbed hold of me and wouldn't let go. Widdershins knows it's own, after all.
Joyfully Jay
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

Deosil is the final book in Jordan L. Hawk’s phenomenal Whyborne & Griffin series and it is a perfect way to wrap things up. Let me be totally clear here: If you aren’t reading this series, you need to be. It’s just that good. And now that we have reached the end, I don’t have to tell fans of this series that you are going to want to read this book.

I’m going to be honest, I am emotional about this book and this series. I practically cried just thinking about
Chris
3.5 stars for this epic conclusion... I really enjoyed this series. Whybourne and Griffin along with their incredible friends really made for a fabulous journey through the paranormal 19th Century. While there was plenty of action and the tying up of the story I felt I lost a little connection with W&G- the intimacy was lacking. I understand that heat / romance is not heavy in this series but there felt a slight shift in this book and I missed that. Regardless, this is a fabulous series ...more
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
Whelp, the journey is over, folks. Whyborne & Griffin has come to a close, and what a ride it was. This starts with a bang and doesn't really slow down. The last ten books were all leading up to this moment, and this book is basically one long climax. I suggest you horde a day of free time to read this in a binge session to get the full effect, if you can.

Was it perfect? No. There are a few things I would've liked to see that there just sadly wasn't time to spend on. (view spoiler)
Ariel

"To everyone whom Widdershins has collected on this journey:
You are seen.
You are important.
You are loved.
Welcome home."

There comes a time in every series when you have to say goodbye to the characters and places that have meant so much to you. It's always a gamble as to whether or not the end will live up to all the hype you've built up for it. I'm so happy to say that Deosil absolutely lives up to my expectations and was a fabulous ending to this series!

Whyborne has come such a long way
Robert Winter
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From Widdershins to Deosil, that was a long and satisfying journey. I'm happy to say that Hawk completely stuck the landing. Whyborne and Griffin are some of my favorite characters in fantasy and in MM romance. Christine, Heliabel, Miss Parkhurst, even Niles ... the cast grew to feel like a set of friends. If you haven't had the pleasure of reading this series yet, I envy you! Dive in with Widdershins and enjoy the chthonic paths of Hawk's mind.
Jen
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, 2019, f-f, worth-rereading
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC through Patreon and I'm so happy I did. Though now I have to keep my mouth shut until my friends can read it next month.

You know that fear when you've been reading/watching something for so long and you know it's going to end and you worry it won't live up to your expectations? That isn't something you need to worry about with this book. I was engrossed from beginning to end and I am not sure I even took a full breath through the entire second half of the
Rosa
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a way to go! This was a fantastic ending to a satisfying series.
(view spoiler)
ElmoVsBibo2.0
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The end is always a hard thing to write. Especially in a long series like this (not that I know any of this, but I think it is or so it always seems). I can't even tell if I cared for the ending or not. Because I don't really know. On the one hand it was a little far fetched, but on the other it seemed genius and made me happy. It's confusing.

But what made this book an amazing one and one everyone should read? A lot of the time nothing really happened. It was just a lot of feelings and angst
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
How can the 11th book be a contender for the best in a series as spectacular as this?
I don't know, either, but it is!

Emotional and thrilling, this final adventure in Widdershins is full of twists, loss, redemption, and a tightrope of a walk along the razor's edge of "omigosh... what if they don't make it?".

The forces of dastardly nastiness are the worst so far, with numbers and options often in their favor as they try to take over the town and the supernatural forces in the universe.

How dare
Veronique
On the way back from Cornwall, our intrepid group find out that their nightmare has started and Widdershins has been invaded by the Fideles. All of a sudden, it is a race to save their allies and loved ones, but also find the Codex and the answers on how to foil the return of the Masters, while staying alive!

Over the last three months, I have been completely taken by this lgbt fantasy romance. Hawk combines horror and romance so expertly, with a huge dose of friendship and humour. The world
Kat
It's been an absolute pleasure and a privilege spending all this time with Whyborne, Griffin, Christine (MY LOVE), Kander, Persephone (MY OTHER LOVE), Maggie, Heliabel (MY OTHER OTHER LOVE), Saul, Niles, and Widdershins itself. (I'm sure I'm forgetting some names but trying to remember shit when you're ugly crying is kind of hard.)

I'm so very fucking thrilled I was collected along the way.
Roxana Chirilă
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even though I loved the first 10 volumes of Whyborne & Griffin, I started reading "Deosil" with a certain dread which had little to do with the supernatural foes wanting to destroy the world, and much to do with tropes.

After all, we have characters we love, and characters who get redeemed; we have characters endowed with magical powers in order to fight the great evil; we have a pregnant woman going to war.

I was afraid:
- that someone would die to prove they are redeemed
- that Christine
Kate
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the beginning of the series, and from the beginning of this final book, I have been on an emotional rollercoaster and loved every part of it.
Jordan L. Hawk just killed me with their dedication in this final installment of the Whyborne and Griffin series:
"To everyone whom Widdershins has collected on this journey:
You are seen.
You are important.
You are loved.
Welcome home."

Way back in 2012 Widdershins was on pre-order for Dec 4th, my birthday. I didn't mind spending it not doing anything,
Lauren
”If our choices are to throw up our hands and walk away, or to fight and keep fighting, even if there is no end to the struggle, then I know which I’ll choose.”

Does anyone have a tissue?

My heart swelled at Jordan L. Hawk’s dedication to the readers, to “...those whom Widdershins has collected on this journey,” and what a journey it was—one that I’ll forever cherish.
Eleeze
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing

What an ending! And the last author note after summarized it perfectly, I’m so happy to have come to this journey!
The whole book was action packed, the final battle was epic but overall what is more relevant are these characters and how much I’ve come to love them. I’ll seriously miss waiting for a book in this series
Widdershins might be a horrible murder town, but it's our horrible murder town.

A great end to an amazing series! I'm sad there won't be anymore books in this world, but I'm happy with how everything was tied up. I'll miss Whyborne, Griffin, Christine and Iskander, and the town of weirdos.

Also, just found out that Widdershins, the first book in the series, means "to go counter-clockwise", and Deosil, the last book in the series, means "to go clockwise". Everything comes full circle!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Gilded Cage (Lilywhite Boys #2)
  • The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)
  • I Buried a Witch (Bedknobs and Broomsticks #2)
  • Mastering the Flames (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #4)
  • The Mystery of the Bones (Snow & Winter, #4)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound #3)
  • Tallowwood
  • Mainly by Moonlight (Bedknobs and Broomsticks, #1)
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Graveyard Shift (Not Dead Yet #3)
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Gentleman Wolf (Capital Wolves Duet, #1)
  • Starlight (Dark Space, #3)
  • Fish on a Bicycle (Fish Out of Water, #5)
  • Dead Man's Quill (The ABCs of Spellcraft #4)
  • Something Stinks at the Spa (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #3)
  • Declination (Borealis Investigations, #3)
  • Master of Restless Shadows (Master of Restless Shadows, #1)
Jordan L. Hawk is a trans author from North Carolina. Childhood tales of mountain ghosts and mysterious creatures gave him a life-long love of things that go bump in the night. When he isn’t writing, he brews his own beer and tries to keep the cats from destroying the house. His best-selling Whyborne & Griffin series (beginning with Widdershins) can be found in print, ebook, and audiobook.

Whyborne & Griffin (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin, #3)
  • Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin, #4)
  • Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)
  • Hoarfrost (Whyborne & Griffin, #6)
  • Maelstrom (Whyborne & Griffin, #7)
  • Fallow (Whyborne & Griffin, #8)
  • Draakenwood  (Whyborne & Griffin, #9)
  • Balefire (Whyborne & Griffin, #10)
“I never asked for a cult of book-wielding librarians!” I exclaimed.” 2 likes