Start by marking “The Veiled Threat (The Veiled Duchess, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Veiled Threat (The Veiled Duchess, #1)

The Veiled Threat

(The Veiled Duchess #1)

Captain Shea Lara is the current leader of The Veiled Duchess. The most feared pirate ship in all of Neried. And now, after completing her former mentor's final score, she's retiring. Everything seems to be coming to an end... Until a mysterious stranger drags her back into the fold with an offer for a score she can't refuse. All she has to do is kidnap the crowned ...more
Published June 30th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Veiled Threat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Veiled Threat

Start your review of The Veiled Threat (The Veiled Duchess, #1)
Anastasia シ
Full Review on my blog!

Wow! This was so much more that I had hoped it would be. Nereid is an amazingly immersive, unique universe and after reading the first chapter I was completely hooked. The characters and story are so in depth and satisfying, I'm really looking forward to where Sophia Menesini takes us in the next book!
The candle sticks drip onto the short table by the fire, and the night fades into heated bliss.

The Veiled Threat is Menesini's debut novel, about Captain Shea Lara,
Adela Cacovean
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
The Veiled Threat was like a journey on the sea - I got an exciting start, a storm of emotions about the story, anger at the way characters acted, and in the end, the sea calmed down when the book ended with me feeling satisfied that I had reached my destination.

When I read the synopsis, I was hooked. Shea Lara, an elvish woman, is the feared captain of a pirate ship. The story begins with her having captured the Pearl of Lycos, the very treasure her adoptive father asked her to get when he
Lauren
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This truly seems to be the next great YA/Adult Fantasy novel. The characters and story are so in depth and satisfying. Sophia Menesini does an incredible job of creating not only an entire immersive world, but she connects the reader to these characters and makes us understand their fantastic struggles and lives. You will find yourself attached and excited for each character and will be begging to know what’s going to happen next in this ever magical and unpredictable romance, action, companion ...more
Myra Karbo
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was slightly hesitant to give it a shot but once I got through the first chapter I was hooked. There were little format errors but they were easily overlooked by how amazing the story is, and the depth of the romance between the two women. While Shea is great, Jo is definitely my favorite character. Her strength is real, and she felt relatable to me. Knowing this is coming from a self published author around my age I’m impressed and will definitely be reading the next one. Well done.
Brooke Banks
I received this book for free from YA Bound Tours in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Happy Friday the 13th all ya'll! Spooky season is officially upon us. While today's feature isn't particularly spooky, it does have a badass pair of women, one pirate elf and one human princess, which are always staples. Check out The Veiled Threat below with my 5 star review, excerpt, favorite quotes, and giveaway below!
About the Veiled
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
3.5/5

Beautiful redheaded elven pirate captain who loves her pirate crew like family and is a kickass leader, meets, beautiful stubborn Princess who has lived a pretty isolated life.

Pirate Captain meets Princess.

Pirate Captain steals Princess.

Honestly guys this is a wild action packed ride from start to finish. I could not help loving Captain Shea Lara as soon as I read the first page. She’s great, daring, charming, everything a swashbuckling pirate
Sarah Williams
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So here's the thing, like everyone else has said there were a few errors that made it past the editor, but! The Veiled Threat is like nothing I've read before so I had to look up the author and I found her on Instagram. I was really surprised to see she's an indie author because the story is fantastically written and the world-building I'd almost compare to the Night World series which is one of my favorites. It looks like the book will be getting a re-release with a better editor and she posted ...more
Jessica Belmont
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Veiled Threathas everything I’d expect to find in a NA Fantasy. Romance, action, and an immersive and well-developed world! I’m really excited that I had the opportunity to read this.

Sophia Menesini’s world-building skills are incredible. I was sucked into the world and I was able to forget about where I really was for a while. A truly good book transport you, and that is whatThe Veiled Threatdid for me.

The characters are relatable and wonderful. I was attached to them immediately, and they
BookLooksbyB
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a really cool epic fantasy story brimming with magic, lore & steamy queer romance. Because there was so much flavor to the world, the magic system, the different races, history, magical creatures & the many Greco-Roman god inspired figures, I feel like more time spent on building the world, going in depth, & fleshing out some of these concepts would have strengthened the immersion of the story more. This book also could have used more editing as there are many ...more
Kat
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It's a dark pirate story that takes you by storm from start to finish.

It's everything you want from the action-packed, fast-paced plot to the well-written world, I couldn't put this one down. It perfectly meshed a fantasy pirate story within an intense, female-empowering world!

I gave this one 5 out of 5 stars. The romance is definitely new adult and wasn't predictable as you normally find in this category. I can't wait to see what happens in the next book!
Sophia Menesini
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hi Sailors! Since this seems to be the only way I can announce on this page, I figured I'd give it a shot! Thank you to everyone who has loved The Veiled Threat, and for all the comments and reviews, it is the most rewarding part about writing this fantastic series that I enjoy with my whole heart. The Veiled Threat's re-release has been released! The professional editing by the amazing Kelley Frodel has finally been completed; For every one that felt distracted by the previous grammar and ...more
Rose Klapperich
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To be honest I wasn't expecting much. Unknown author, independently published, and so it sat on my bookshelf for a couple of weeks. Finally decided to read and I finished it in two days. I see these 3-star reviews and I'm just kinda like how? Because I was entertained throughout the whole story. Fast-paced it kept moving and it made me want to read more and more. The world of Nereid is interesting and fun, though I hope we hear more about the other two countries in the next book... Captain Shea ...more
Sarah Fairbairn
The Veiled Threat is the first book in the action-packed New Adult romantic fantasy series, The Veiled Duchess.

The story kicks off with The Veiled Duchess captain, Shea Lara, and her crew taking down an imperial navy ship. Straight into the pirate action, oh yeah! I was immediately captivated by captain Shae and her swashbuckling crew.

The POV swaps between two Characters – Captain Shae, a 23-yr-old red headed Elven beauty, a vixen and pirate supreme. – And Jo, Crown Princess Joana of Arethusa, a
Carrie Lane
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved it! Jo and Shea's relationship feels so real and Aster is adorable. I can't wait for the next one!
Vic - Lost in Fiction
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25 Stars
Anne Carty
Omg I truly loved this story! We follow Shea a fairy pirate who is the captain of her ship. Shea lives in a world where homosexuality is welcomed and embraced with no questions asked. This story was action packed and I loved every single minute reading this story! It has enemies to lovers trope, a kidnapped prison, a rebellion and so much more within this fucking fantastic fantasy novel and I need to read the next book!

We meet such beautiful sweet characters who I fell in love with almost
Isabelle Roselli
Where has this book been hiding?! Nereid is an amazingly immersive universe and the moment I read the first chapter I fell head over heels. The relationships in this book is incredible and not just the romances like between Jo and Shea or even Shea and V or even Aster and James (which is adorable by the way!) but the familial relationships between Shea and Aster or her and Caen or the hateful ones between Thetis and Ceto or Ceto and Shea. There’s just so much emotion packed into this novel and ...more
Logan
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. Felt like a cross between Pirates of the Caribbean and Game of Thrones. Fantastical but not hard to understand and the violence and sex didn’t feel forced. It was a fun, easy read. Will probably read the next one.
Lucy-May
I read most of this book in one sitting & I am very glad I did; The Veiled Threat was a fantastic & exciting pirate story that just felt very pirate-y & which I loved (I didn’t even mind the romance) but the epilogues at the end BLEW UP & damn, this series just got serious. Sophia’s writing was brilliant & the world she has built is so intriguing. I don’t read a lot of pirate books but I’ve definitely just finished one of the best out there.

This book contains violence,
Amy Reed
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally a romance between two women that doesn't make me cringe! I loved the setting of the story, the world feels really immersive and the characters are great. From the first chapter, I actually connected to Shea, the main character, and while Jo is a good companion to her I personally prefer Venus. V was by far my favorite character besides maybe Thetis. A great read, I can't wait for the next one!
Cordyn
Jul 13, 2019
Bobbi Jean Gates
Jul 23, 2019
Sophia Menesini
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books

• Aurora's Angel: A dark fantasy romance
  • Sting & Song (Beesong Chronicles Book 1)
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • Safe Passage (Black Flag, #1)
  • Wonderland Academy: Year One
  • Realm of Knights (Knights of the Realm, #1)
  • False Flag (Battle Ground #2)
  • Stolen Princess (Royal Conquest Saga #1)
  • The Age of Akra
  • All the Bad Apples
  • PRESENCE: The Marked
  • A Tale of Stars and Shadow (A Tale of Stars and Shadow, #1)
  • Empire's Daughter (Empire's Legacy 1)
  • Beasts of the Frozen Sun (Frozen Sun Saga, #1)
  • Riding on High
  • Protecting Her Heart: A Paranormal Lesbian Romance
  • Altered (The Made Ones Saga, #1)
  • Outlaw: A Lesbian Retelling of Robyn Hood (The Robyn Hood Adventures Book 1)
Sophia Menesini lives in Martinez, CA with her husband, and their two small Chihuahuas, Ziggy and Zeppelin. The Veiled Threat is her first novel. Sophia is an avid tea connoisseur and lover of Scotland with an unconventional memory for obscure Disney and Broadway song lyrics.