Start by marking “The Missing Nurse (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
The Missing Nurse (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #1)

The Missing Nurse

(Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #1)

A DETECTIVE WHO’S NO ANGEL DESPITE HIS NAME.

Discover a gripping series of murder mysteries set in south Yorkshire.

MEET DETECTIVE INSPECTOR MICHAEL ANGEL. AN OLD-SCHOOL POLICEMAN WHO SOMETIMES RUBS HIS COLLEAGUES UP THE WRONG WAY. HE’S GOT HIS FLAWS, BUT HE NEVER GIVES UP ON A CASE.

PLEASE NOTE THIS BOOK WAS FIRST PUBLISHED AS “IN THE MIDST OF LIFE.”

For Inspector
Published September 15th 2019 by Joffe Books

To ask other readers questions about The Missing Nurse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Missing Nurse

Start your review of The Missing Nurse (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #1)
Betsy
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
I probably would have given this mystery 3 stars as the story was okay, but I did not like Inspector Michael Angel. He had many unlikeable characterisics which I found annoying. I felt sorry for his wife, for those who worked for him, and his cats (even though I'm not a cat fan.) Not likely to read anymore in the series.
David Redfern
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nice, original and stylish. Oddball policeman with a great turn of phrases

Really good fun. An original style of language that's quite funny at times. A well told story. You'll enjoy this one
Steve Capel
Nov 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
Could not come to terms with this book. I was drawn to this by the series description "Yorkshire Mysteries". Not sure where in Yorkshire the author is trying to set this book. The main police characters and methods are totally unbelievable. I have up on this book halfway through.
Dr M A Robinson
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really did not warm to the characters, in particular Michael Angel. As a police procedural it was unconvincing and clunky, and the plot was thin with a rather silly ending. Shan’t be reading any more in this series. Two stars is being generous really.
Lesley Hewitt
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really good

I liked this book, it's a proper murder mystery on par with the likes of Midsummer Murders and Vera. Robbery and missing nurses. Inspector Angel has a lot on his plate. It's well worth five stars.
Val Bond
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
It was an okay read. I was not too impressed with Michael Angel and, as others have commented, I did not find his sarcastic comments funny I felt they did not fit into the book. I have read a couple of his books and may read more, as it is easy reading.
Judith Wagner
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I do not want to submit reviews

Am not really happy being forced into providing reviews, I actually chose 3 but somehow it ended up 4. Would like the book to end then I go to choose another book
mrs Yve L Cattermole
Nov 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Awful book.

There was nothing enthralling about this book!
DCI Angel has as much charisma as a chocolate teapot!I
His jokes were as annoying as he was!
I will not be reading anymore books in this series!
Lynda
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cracking good mysteries

Apparently this DI is the only one on duty as he seems to get several grand cases all at once, and while his DS is away for a week long course, too! Good mysteries all, too.
Carol Strutt
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bring on the next one!

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and would recommend it to anyone. The characters are realistic and believable and the storyline different. I can't wait to read the next book in the series.
rose
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A murder plus cats!

Interesting. DI Angel brings quirky dialogue to an even more comical character while staying hard on a murder investigation of a decades old murder. People go missing, bodies turn up in odd places and the cats don't stand a chance.

A fun mystery read.
Mr Kenneth L Mullen
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Story

This is the first book that I have read by this author and it will not be the last. A great story with lots of twists and turns and a really quirky character in Inspector Angel. Looking forward to reading the next one.
Susan Blackshaw
Dec 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Dalziel wannabe

Dalziel and Pascoe wanna be. The main character full of sayings found in a second hand joke book. Completely bigoted and unlikable. The plot unbelievable. What a waste of time n don't bother
Mrs A. J. Turbfield
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A brilliantly written tale with wonderful humour and sarcasm. My first experience of this author

must say so am already a fan. This type of dialogue really appeals to me. Could definitely read more of the same.
elizabeth mcguire
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I see a few of the readers do not like the main character. I can understand why as he is definitely not everyone's cup of tea.
However I decided to take the books at face value and read them with a tongue in cheek type of thing.
I do enjoy the character as he is very different to the usual police inspectors. It is refreshing to find a writer who is ready to ignore the farce of so much PC.
Doreen
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent!

Detective Inspector Angel is an engaging, entertaining character! He is short staffed, expected to solve murders with little or no support from his superiors, and manages to do it. This is an excellent, unusual murder mystery that is well written and well plotted.
barbara jones
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not the best story I have read. A bit silly at times and with Angel trying to be funny all the time, put me off.

I have this author's three books. I just hope the next two are better than his first one. And if he keeps mentioning the green corridor, I will scream.
t d  savage
Nov 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Terrible ! Terrible ! Terrible !

Stereotypes , dead cats and downright racism dressed up as Yorkshire wit . Absolutely awful storyline and characters. One to avoid even if free.
Betty Watson
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good read

Enjoyed the book very much, in fact could not put it down, and cannot wait to read The Missing Wife.
leonard rudnick
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Missing Nurse ends after great story telling. sk

A fantastic mystery story. I recommend this story to all mystery fans that enjoy a well written ending. Great read!
william george naisby
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
very entertaining and thrilling,at times could not put this book down,kept you guessing till near the end,will read more in the future
christine margaret costello
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed reading this book, a very good mystery with lovely characters that you can picture in your mind. I enjoyed working out who did it.
Jmcrossfl
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF- gave up after reading 25%-boring.
Elainebowden
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brillant

This is a new author for me I really enjoyed this book, the characters are really well written, I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys crime books
June Smith
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Very good

Interesting storyline a little dated but very enjoyable and easy to read I will read more by this author read this in one sitting.
Patricia
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: murder-mystery
Enjoyed it.
Ben Ogletree
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good pace and characters

Easy fast read. Unique characters and great quips. Looking forward to sequels to follow character development. My first read from this author.
MRS R
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good whodunnit

I read this book most of the night had to find out whodunnit very good read would recommend it to all
David Nunez
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book, seemed ii was told in real time, likable characters, pretty quick read
Priscilla Alexander
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ys but

At times it is confusing, as it is not quite clear what crimes are being solved. But it all works out in the end, and the characters are interesting.

• The Greek Island Killer (DI Jack Dawes Series #1)
  • The Bluebell Killer (DI Jack Dawes Series #2)
  • The Gallows Green Killer (DI Jack Dawes Series #4)
  • The Shetland Killer (DI Jack Dawes Series #3)
  • THE GEORDIE MURDER an addictive crime mystery full of twists (Eric Ward Mystery Book 5)
  • The Flower Show Murder (Monica Noble, #2)
  • KILLING CHRISTMAS an absolutely addictive crime thriller with a huge twist (Detective Mike Nash Thriller Book 4)
  • The Diamond Murder (Eric Ward #4)
  • BLOOD ON THE COWLEY ROAD a gripping mystery full of twists (Detective Susan Holden Book 1)
  • Vanish without Trace
  • Depth of Despair (DI Mike Nash #1)
  • Playing with Fire
  • Murder at Flood Tide (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 2)
  • The Quayside Murder (Eric Ward #3)
  • THE LAVENDER LADY a one-off spooky mystery full of twists
  • BLOOD IN GRANDPONT a gripping mystery full of twists (Detective Susan Holden Book 2)
  • THE SHIPPING MURDER an addictive crime mystery full of twists (Eric Ward Mystery Book 6)
  • BLOOD ON THE MARSH a gripping mystery full of twists (Detective Susan Holden Book 3)
The Yorkshire author writes crime stories about Detective Inspector Michael Angel who lives a fairly happy existence with his wife Mary in the town of Bromersley in South Yorkshire.

Yorkshire Murder Mysteries (3 books)
  • The Missing Wife (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #2)
  • The Man in the Pink Suit (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #3)