Start by marking “Permanent Record” as Want to Read:
Permanent Record

Permanent Record

4.40  ·  Rating details ·  15,262 ratings  ·  1,812 reviews
Length: 11 hrs and 31 mins

Edward Snowden, the man who risked everything to expose the US government’s system of mass surveillance, reveals for the first time the story of his life, including how he helped to build that system and what motivated him to try to bring it down.

In 2013, twenty-nine-year-old Edward Snowden shocked the world when he broke with the American
Audible Audio, 12 pages
Published August 17th 2019 by Pan Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Permanent Record, please sign up.
Flaviu Vescan Yes, he talks a good deal about how everything was arranged. By the time he reached Russia many things were out of his control and he was basically…moreYes, he talks a good deal about how everything was arranged. By the time he reached Russia many things were out of his control and he was basically just hoping for the best (not being extradited and/or suicided).
He was never meant to stay in Russia, but his passport was cancelled while he was in mid-flight. The final destination was Ecuador. (less)
Debby Taylor-Lane Russia was not his intended destination, it was only a lay over point. However, when he landed he discovered that the USA had revoked his passport,…moreRussia was not his intended destination, it was only a lay over point. However, when he landed he discovered that the USA had revoked his passport, stranding him in the country. (less)

·  15,262 ratings  ·  1,812 reviews

Start your review of Permanent Record
Caspin
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The guy’s a genius with a selfless heart of gold. He gave up a $250,000 a year job in Hawaii, left his family, friends, country....his whole life, to share truth of the United States’ masses having their constitutional rights violated by the NSA.

The founding fathers are smiling down from Heaven....and at the same time are staring in disbelief and disappointment at the false patriotism of the ignorant who condemn this man for his sacrifice.
Michelle
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Edward Snowden has no new bombshells in this book, but "Permanent Record" is still full of surprises in some ways. Far from the low-level IT drone depicted in most early press accounts, and even further from the naive double agent trashed by his critics, the narrator of this book is a thoughtful, painfully self-aware intelligence professional who found himself forced to confront and expose the reality of mass surveillance -- and the immense powers of coercion it gave to authorities who, thanks ...more
Jenna
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenna by: Claudia
“I was resolved to bring to light a single, all-encompassing fact: that my government had developed and deployed a global system of mass surveillance without the knowledge or consent of its citizenry.”~Edward Snowden

I began reading this book with a decent amount of skepticism. Is Edward Snowden a hero or a criminal? Could I believe him? I was bothered by the fact that he lives in Russia; is he a hero or a traitor? What is he doing in Russia rather than living in exile in another country?

Manuel Antão
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

DNS over HTTPS (DoH): "Permanent Record" by Edward Snowden

The minute some politico starts banging on about that we need to restrict something because we need to "protect the children" you can be absolutely sure that they mean to prevent the people having the same access to information as they do. Or they have been caught with their trousers down. And I am not talking about defence related stuff categorised as Top Secret. It is doubly
Kelly
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is so weird!

I did not rate this book, but I see that "I" gave it 2-stars on August 27.

It seriously looks like my account was hacked in order to give a book 2 stars!

Who does that?

Alok Mishra
I am not judging the person - Snowden is a person who changed the very way we used to think. He introduced to the world the dirty secrets that we could have never known otherwise. However, I am just sharing my thoughts about his book.
Divided into three parts, the book narrates Snowden's story to the readers. He has been direct and amusing at times and symbolic as well, less frequently, nevertheless. Part one has been pulled a little longer than it could ideally be. The second part introduces
Bradley
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a highly-readable and thoroughly fascinating account of Snowden as a child, his ethical foundations, computer ethos, and his original desire always do the right thing.

For any of you who don't know his name, you'll find a thousand accounts that turn him into a hero and a thousand that turn him into a traitor. I totally recommend reading his own words. He was always careful and thoughtful and did what he did for what he thought was the very best of reasons.

By any stretch of reality, he
Denise
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-2019
I think it's been fairly well established by now where my views on Edward Snowden fall in the traitor vs. hero debate, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that I was very excited to read his story as told in his own words. Since following his disclosures back in 2013, I have unabashedly admired what he has done and what he stands for, as well as the courage required by his actions. Reading this book has, if anything, strengthened my impression of him as a sympathetic and relatable person as well ...more
Claudia
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LE 22/11: just came across this podcast, thanks to a friend of mine, and it's excellent:

They own your every secret, your life is in their files
The grains of your every waking second sifted through and scrutinized
They know your every right. They know your every wrong
Each put in their due compartment - sins where sins belong

They know you. They see all. They know all indiscretions
Compiler of your dreams, your indignations
Following your every single move
They
Laura Noggle
A very spooky, real-life Halloween read.

"The freedom of a country can only be measured by its respect for the rights of its citizens ... Ultimately, saying that you don’t care about privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different from saying you don’t care about freedom of speech because you have nothing to say."
Mackey
Like many others I had read Glenn Greenwald's articles regarding Edward Snowden, the CIA analyst and whistle-blower. I did my own research regarding the plight of whistle blowers in the US and the content that Snowden allegedly released. To say that I was thrilled to read Permanent Record by Snowden is an understatement. His story in his own words. It was everything I anticipated. Snowden is brilliant and his book is brilliantly written.

The fact is there are those who are going to love or hate
Karen
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is a fascinating book.

Late October 2019: Recode Decode podcast interview with Edward Snowden (thanks to Michael Perkins for the heads up https://www.goodreads.com/author/show... )

October 2019: Ghost in the Machine: How Edward Snowden found his conscience

September 2019: Trevor Noah (The Daily Show) interviewed Edward Snowden

From 2016, 'State of Surveillance' with Edward
Betty
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, memoir, 2019
So well written and absolutely riveting.
Flaviu Vescan
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To me, what Snowden did was a heroic sacrifice for the sake of free speech and democracy. It shows that even in this century of "the many", individual action can matter just as much as collective action and that gives me a great deal of hope.

People like him give me hope, but they also show that the liberties we currently have are very much being taken for granted. Democracy, free speech, privacy were not just hard earned through countless deaths, but require constant struggle for
Nada Elshabrawy
Great first book of the year.
Donna Backshall
"I hadn't signed up for any of this. I had just wanted to screw around with computers and maybe do some good for my country along the way."

No one wants to bear the weight of an ugly truth that must be told to great personal sacrifice. Snowden's "desperate hope that somebody else somewhere else would figure it out on their own" is heartbreaking to read, as you imagine yourself in his shoes.

This novel definitely falls into the glad-I-read-it-but-now-my-stomach-really-hurts category.
Kusaimamekirai
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe, just as those journalists believe, that a government may keep some information concealed. Even the most transparent democracy in the world may be allowed to classify, for example, the identity of its undercover agents and the movements of its troops in the field. This book includes no such secrets. To give an account of my life while protecting the privacy of my loved ones and not exposing legitimate government secrets is no simple task, but it is my task. Between those two ...more
Ilana
Never imagined I’d be so spellbound by this book. Fascinating. In his memoir, Edward Snowden first explains how revealing his life story and intimate details of his life is a difficult exercise for him. Especially for someone who has worked in the spying community, where self-effacement is the rule of the game, and appearing as bland and unmemorable as possible are essential tools one must adopt and project at all times to evade detection.

He explains that telling his life story, his family
Lisa
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I was reading this, my usually well-informed husband said "Isn't he the traitor involved with Assange who lives in Russia"? Snowden did not release the classified NSA documents to WikiLeaks but rather three reputable journalists - but I think the fact that he ended up living in Moscow (not by his choice) is confusing. I was skeptical myself. I found the book excellent, eye opening and educational. I believe Snowden's earnest attempt to educate us and protect our privacy is heroic.
vonblubba
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Snowden is a controversial figure, if ever there was one. There's who considers him a traitor, who a hero, with very little middle ground. Despite that, there's something undeniable about him: he chose to throw away a reasonably comfortable life for something he believed in. It was a completely selfless reason, made without any personal agendas whatsoever. That is something that I personally respect and admire.
This biography is a very interesting look at his life and everything that brought him
Michelle Curie
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs, politics
We live in an age in which it seems unthinkable to exist without technology. It's rare that we'll meet someone without a phone, a laptop or other devices connected to the internet. We've reached a stage in our civilisation where we can't be quite sure anymore who owns whom.

"When your equipment works, you'll work, but when your equipment breaks down you'll break down, too. Your possessions would possess you."

Six years ago, Edward Snowden revealed that the US-government was secretly collecting
BookTrib.com
Edward Snowden may run into some trouble getting paid for his memoir Permanent Record (Metropolitan Books), but he was never all that concerned with money. Did he talk his way into a $62k a year contractor job at the age of 22? Yup. Did he take a pay cut to work directly for the government? That he did. He also kept his three-story townhouse fairly bare-bones, sleeping on a mattress on the floor and accepting hand-me-down furniture.

So for Snowden, it’s never been about the money—it’s always been
Venky
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In her bestselling book, “Surveillance Capitalism”, author Shoshana Zuboff while making reference to the insanely popular virtual game, Pokémon Go, writes, “players think they are playing one game – collecting Pokémon – while they are in fact pawns in an entirely different one.” Beneath the seemingly innocuous exterior of a task involving ‘collection’ of creatures hidden in various nooks and crannies both indoors and outdoors, lay an interior, murky and malfeasant. The game’s creators, in due ...more
Thorkell Ottarsson
This book is excellent.

The chapters about Snowden's childhood are rather pointless (should really have been skipped) but everything after he enters the army and then starts working for the government is fantastic.

Edward Snowden is a better thinker than a writer and it is when he starts discussing the implication of mass surveillance and what it can lead to that the book really delivers. An important book from one of our greatest heroes.
David
Sep 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
People are going to love this book -- it's a tantalizing look behind the curtain in exchange for accepting Snowden's personable, but self-serving, white-washed, martyr drama.

Snowden reportedly stole over a million classified documents, of which an unknown percent have been distributed to an unknown number of parties, and about 10,000 have been publicly published. He claims in the book that he can no longer reconstruct the documents, that he didn't give any to the Russians, and that he's a
Ashley
Oddly I found myself losing sympathy for Snowden the more I read. Perhaps my cynicism conflicted too greatly with his high-minded sense of idealism.
David
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I happen to be fond of whistleblowers. They tend to be people who care enough to do it (as well as people who would rather not do it but decide to because no one around them - esp. those with the same information - will).

When he was at school, one of the assignments that gave Edward Snowden particular difficulty was writing anything (say, an essay) that focused on himself. It wasn't so much that self-exploration didn't appeal to him as much as it daunted him. His focus was outward, not inward.
Mona
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer - I do not support governmental or any other institution surveillance of private entities.

I read this book with a great interest, hoping to learn some new perspectives on the story which had been told many times already and is probably known to most people in the US.

This is a memoir of whisleblower Edward Snowden, heavily tinged with anti governmental ideology, so if you are not favorable towards that kind of things, you may consider staying away. Author describes his life from
Temoc Sol
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book fascinating and learned much about mass surveillance. I definitely recommend this book. Great read. Check out my full book review on my Booktube/authortube channel on YouTube. https://youtu.be/R5yYTmajPkA
Manny
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a long awaited book for me. Some people may disagree with him. IMHO I consider him a true hero. He outed the corruption at the very top. This has not stopped and has actually increased. The saddest thing about the entire situation as that we all know the NSA is watching everything we do and we the people have done nothing. We have become a bunch of complaisant drones of the government.

This book covers more of his upbringing and what brought him to the point where he blew the whistle on
Non Fiction Book ...: * February/March 2020 - Permanent Record by Edward Snowden 16 56 Feb 16, 2020 07:46AM
░N░e░w░ ░A░u░t░h░...: Edward Snowden 3 15 Nov 15, 2019 11:25PM
Goodreads Librari...: wrong page number 2 51 Sep 20, 2019 07:52AM

• Mindf*ck: Cambridge Analytica and the Plot to Break America
  • Talking to Strangers: What We Should Know about the People We Don't Know
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Sandworm: A New Era of Cyberwar and the Hunt for the Kremlin's Most Dangerous Hackers
  • Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth
  • A Warning
  • Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Targeted: My Inside Story of Cambridge Analytica and How Trump and Facebook Broke Democracy
  • The Man Who Solved the Market: How Jim Simons Launched the Quant Revolution
  • The End Is Always Near: Apocalyptic Moments, from the Bronze Age Collapse to Nuclear Near Misses
  • That Will Never Work: The Birth of Netflix and the Amazing Life of an Idea
  • Lifespan: Why We Age—and Why We Don't Have To
  • No Place to Hide: Edward Snowden, the NSA, and the U.S. Surveillance State
  • On Fire: The Case for the Green New Deal
  • The Madness of Crowds: Gender, Race and Identity
Edward Joseph "Ed" Snowden is an American computer professional who leaked classified information unveiling mass-surveillance at an unimagined scale from intelligence agencies to mainstream media which created ripples across the globe.
“There is, simply, no way, to ignore privacy. Because a citizenry’s freedoms are interdependent, to surrender your own privacy is really to surrender everyone’s. You might choose to give it up out of convenience, or under the popular pretext that privacy is only required by those who have something to hide. But saying that you don’t need or want privacy because you have nothing to hide is to assume that no one should have, or could have to hide anything – including their immigration status, unemployment history, financial history, and health records. You’re assuming that no one, including yourself, might object to revealing to anyone information about their religious beliefs, political affiliations and sexual activities, as casually as some choose to reveal their movie and music tastes and reading preferences. Ultimately, saying that you don’t care about privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different from saying you don’t care about freedom of speech because you have nothing to say. Or that you don’t care about freedom of the press because you don’t like to read. Or that you don’t care about freedom of religion because you don’t believe in God. Or that you don’t care about the freedom to peaceably assemble because you’re a lazy, antisocial agoraphobe. Just because this or that freedom might not have meaning to you today doesn’t mean that that it doesn’t or won’t have meaning tomorrow, to you, or to your neighbor – or to the crowds of principled dissidents I was following on my phone who were protesting halfway across the planet, hoping to gain just a fraction of the freedom that my country was busily dismantling.” 29 likes
“The freedom of a country can only be measured by its respect for the rights of its citizens, and it’s my conviction that these rights are in fact limitations of state power that define exactly where and when a government may not infringe into that domain of personal or individual freedoms that during the American Revolution was called “liberty” and during the Internet Revolution is called “privacy.” 20 likes