Start by marking “Beyond Kidding” as Want to Read:
Beyond Kidding

Beyond Kidding

A disastrous lie has life-changing consequences.

When Robert decides to impress at a job interview by making up a son, he discovers that maintaining the lie is far harder than he thought – so he invents a story that ‘Brodie’ has been kidnapped. After all, it’s not like they’re going to find the fake boy.

But a few weeks later, Robert receives a call to col
Published October 31st 2019 by Fairlight Books

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Kidding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Kidding

Start your review of Beyond Kidding
Lisa Jeffers
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!
Where do I begin!?
How do I describe this book without putting you off? Sex, swearing, dysfunctional relationships and a completely ridiculous storyline but it just works perfectly!
100% this won’t be for everybody but I am bowled over and loved every chapter - even that ending which I cannot discuss and haven’t yet dealt with in my head 🙈
Rob works in a sex shop with his best friend bummer. Yes you heard that correct, bummer. - Rob decides that he wants more from his life and takes up
Contrary Reader
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
When is the next book out? Loved this bonkers story. Loved the mystery of it- and dare I say the Sci Fi elements.
Susan
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A disclaimer to start the review with – Lynda Clark is a friend of mine, we used to work together at a branch of a well-known bookselling chain. Aha! You say, you may have some exciting author insights? Well, not really no. My overriding impression of Lynda was how well she wore wide legged trousers, striding forth from the back of the shop all in black, looking splendid, and how jealous I was since my legs are far too short to pull those off successfully.

What I didn’t know about Lyn
Anna Szabó
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beyond Kidding by Lynda Clark is the weirdest, craziest book I’ve read this year or maybe ever.

Robert Buckland works in a sex shop with his best friend, Bummer. After years of working there he realizes he has to move on, find a new job so he applies to an office job. But something seizes him and he says he has a son. His name is Brodie. Rob imagines a whole life for them. But when his boss wants to meet with Brodie, Rob says he can’t because Brodie is missing. Rob agrees to do public appeals an
Rachel Slocombe
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rob makes up a fake son called Brodie to impress at a job interview. Somehow this works despite the fact that being a single parent rarely makes you more employable! Unfortunately once he gets the job he has to maintain the lie which eventually results in him saying Brodie has been kidnapped rather than just admitting he's a moron who invented a fake child in order to get a job. But then the police call to say they have found his fake, photoshopped child and hijinks ensue.
It's, obvi
Jake_reads_books
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Andy Angel
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
When Rob goes for a job interview and decides to embellish his life by inventing a son its the start of a slippery slope. In no time at all he's dug himself in so deep that when his boss tries to arrange a play date for their two sons he has to think on his feet. He announces his (make believe) son has been kidnapped, his firm puts out an appeal, the police get involved... Yup, digging himself deeper and deeper.

Rob gets a call from the police "we've found your son" - and they have. T
Morgane Krauth
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley and Fairlight Books for providing me with an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Unfortunately, I did not like this book much. Though the premise seemed interesting, the actual book dragged quite a bit, I did not care for any of the characters or for the writing and I didn't find the ending satisfying at all.

There was a lot of unnecessary swearing and nothing kept me hooked, though there is a mystery. I only finished the book because
November Is Nyarlathotep The Haunted Reading Room
As much as I enjoy feckless heroes, I've never encountered one as spectacularly feckless as protagonist Rob Buckland. What kind of fool "invents" a son to get a better job? And then supplants that lie by announcing the boy has been kidnapped, and reporting it to the police? Well, this protagonist. From that out of the gate, how could I not race through the novel holding my breath?

Laden with humour and expressed in alternating third-person and first-person narrative, BEYOND KIDD
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a slow burner, don’t go into this story expecting answers partway through. It’s all about building the backstory, building the characters up. Building the tension to the point of; what the hell is going on? What is happening?

Did not expect that ending. I kind of knew that was where it was heading, but at the same time, it was still a surprise.

(Disclaimer: I received a free copy from the Publisher. Does not affect my review)
Jemma Geary
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not my usual read, but was intrigued by the cover and description. Such a weird story but I actually quite enjoyed it. A young man decides he needs a fresh start in a new job and so the kids begin to wrack up until he's made up a son and a kidnapping. From there on it gets weird. I'm not totally sold on the ending though if I'm honest but I enjoyed reading this mostly.
Gareth Howells
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book. Very funny and endearing in its characterisation.
The plot develops in ways you don't expect, and its conclusion makes perfect sense - in a way that it might have spiraled out of control in less adept hands.
I read it in just over 24 hours because I couldn't put it down - I kept wanting to see what happened next.
Excellent stuff.
_
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unique, bizarre, hilarious, poignant and a surprisingly good read! This one stands on its own within a genre that could be more than sci-fi. Everything comes together to become this quite wonderful story.
Paul
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very entertaining story with some humor. Told with a nice style and with surprises along the way, this is a good read with an interesting premise. Recommended.

I really appreciate the advanced copy for review!!
Siân Plummer (plumreads__s)
*3-3.5

Review to come on www.scifiandscary.com

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book for review consideration
Urska
Sofie
Nov 09, 2019
Katie
Nov 11, 2019

• The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1)
  • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • The Return of the Incredible Exploding Man
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Fear on the Phantom Special
  • Salvation (Salvation Sequence #1)
  • The Life She Was Given
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • Zennor In Darkness
  • Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1)
  • Unnatural Causes