Start by marking “The Heart of the Soul: Emotional Awareness” as Want to Read:
The Heart of the Soul: Emotional Awareness

The Heart of the Soul: Emotional Awareness

New York Times mega-bestselling author of The Seat of the Soul, Gary Zukav takes a giant leap forward in his message, with this guide to the next level of spiritual growth.

"THE LONGEST JOURNEY YOU WILL MAKE IN YOUR LIFE IS FROM YOUR HEAD TO YOUR HEART."

With the rare combination of profound psychological insight and deep spirituality that has already drawn millions of
Published August 6th 2002 by Free Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Heart of the Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heart of the Soul

Start your review of The Heart of the Soul: Emotional Awareness
Noah
Dec 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book first came to me in 2006. It goes through each of your defense mechanisms and knocks them out. I was about maybe half or 3/4 through the book when I basically started losing it because it was working. I had a big emotional thing to deal with and then suddenly I didn't have any defense mechanisms so I actually had to face the situation. It was OK though; in the end it worked out. I went into the pain and ended up I guess having a spiritual experience were I felt oneness with everyone. ...more
Carole
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I struggled with this one. It was number 2 or 3 on my spiritual adventure. I soooooo didn't want to hear about how wrong I was seeing things. I'd literally throw this book at the wall, leave it there for weeks and slowly, begrudgingly start again. It was right, always right and it pissed me off to no end. But I still refer to it from time to time.
MizzSandie
So that was a major disappointment!
I'd read Gary zukavs 'the seat of the soul' and loved it, so I naturally expected to come back and be floored again.
Not so much.

This book was just much too cliche, simplistic, repetitive, unnuanced and reductionist if for my taste.
Simplifying and generalizing of people's behaviors might be useful or interesting to the novice who is new to the behaviors that can serve as a way to avoid feelings.
'Can' being the keyword.
Not all anger/pleasing behavior/etc. is a
Mary Banken
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Not especially well written, but the book provided some insights to emotional health during a time when I needed them! With the right timing, this is a worthwhile read!
M. Joseph Murphy
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it
This is Zukav's most accessible book. It is easy to read but it felt like he was just rehashing old books. Seat of the Soul and Soul Stories arr much better books.
Robin
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kate
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Super helpful with great insights. Would reread and recommend.
Elizabeth
Jul 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone in the healing professions
Najwa
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book has been an awesome journey into emotional awareness. I loved every single chapter of the book and I could very well relate to most of what has been written.
The way to look at emotions as the author puts it in his book is as a form of energy that has an energy processing system and one of either types of outlets, love and trust or fear and doubt. Unless you attend to each of the negative - as we call it - emotional experience, the energy processing will keep discharging the
Amy Lesher
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Emotional awareness in the presence of emotional pain can be transformational.

This book details the many ways we indulge or keep busy as a means to escape our true feelings about ourselves, our lives, and others.

I particularly found the authors' way of explaining a "pleaser" and the "resentment" that will always follow to be quite interesting... As well as the pattern our emotional "triggers" and "reactions" play - and how these triggers exist within us due to instilled beliefs, conditioning,
Julie Chai
Feb 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent introduction to anyone wanting to grow in self-awareness and spirituality. It sets the foundation for being present to ones feelings, allowing for emotional clearing.
It's a good book that helps move to the heart (feeling center) those who are lost in their heads, avoiding feeling.
If you like this book, agree with the premise and want to work on emotional clearing on your own, I highly recommend the work of John Ruskan, both his book Emotional Clearing and his 12 CD
Elizabeth Olson
With each book it seems Gary Zukav becomes more tedious, as he states the obvious, over and over again. We need to trust Inner Wisdom, not the pull of the world outside. We need to pay attention to our physical pains, for they point the way to inner pain and conflict, which, when resolved, will also dissolve the physical pain. We can do this through meditation and visualization -- etc., etc., etc. Nothing that hasn't been said before, and better. I couldn't wait to get through this boring book.
Tamster Hawk
Okay, this book is tricky to evaluate. I don't think it's very well written. Like others who have commented here, I feel that Zukav stated and re-stated his concepts overmuch. However, I do think he makes a few really good points that are worth considering. Some have said that he basically uses the ideas from Seat of the Soul to create another book. I haven't read Seat of the Soul yet, but will take a look at it.
Any Length
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
For some reason I wasn't that wrapped in this book. It has a lot of good things to say, and much can be learnt about avoidance of emotions. However, I felt the authors showed little comprehension of food addiction. I also felt that some of it was repetitive and the overemphasis on loosing energy was wearing me down a bit at the end.
~Gen hearts books.~
I think I may revisit this one. I thought that I would really like it. But for some reason, it is seeming very "cheesy". This seems to focus too much on feelings and emotions (to the point of boredom). I feel like I'm in a Therapy session. It seems redundant and annoying. I want to give it a fair review, so I want to try to finish it in the near future.
Zachary
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gary Zukav has an exceptional authorship skill to explain the ancient wisdom of Life in the simplest words. Reverence to his honesty and no-bush-beating writing. Anyone who reads this will definitely benefit most.
Cyndy Bradfield
I liked Gary Zukav's books that he wrote by himself. It seemed this was overly analytical for a matter of the heart. It is hard for two different perspectives to agree on one method of observation. His own books were more heartfelt. He kind of lost me on this one.
Jane Harris
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Really interesting book. I had never thought about my emotions in how they relate to my physical body. I've thought about it a lot since, and have really tried to be more aware of how I'm physically processing my emotions.
Abbie
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Good points but long-winded, redundant, and disorganized. could have been summarized in sentences instead of chapters. I dis not like that I had to mine through the chapter's to fins the instruction and explanation that should have been provided at the beginning with the introduction.
Amita
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent read to understand the anatomy of emotions. It equips one with ways to mitigate the effects of one's emotions so that we do not have to suppress or deny them but instead allow them to play out.
This in turn reduces stress and grief in life...
Doug
Jul 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
While offensive to some traditionalists, Zuvav's Seat of the Soul (five stars) changed my way of looking at things. I also enjoyed this book.
Lisa Lueken
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Emotional awareness is the key to understanding why we are faced with the feelings that we don't understand in situations that shouldn't make us upset.
Bob Mccusker
My first of Gary Zukav's books. I am a very infrequent reader, so glad I made it through. I now just finished 'Mind of the Soul'I am moving in the right direction
Macandamanda Mcgee
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Same thing over and over in each of his books... However nice words -just read the seat of the soul and be done with it!
Angel hering
Mar 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful. If you are looking for more to life than money and power. This is a book that speaks to your soul and how to re-examine how your living.
Raed Almutairi
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant work. If you want to free yourself from compulsions, fixations, obsessions and addictions, this book is hitting the spots!
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love this book for the clarity of calling out the energy of emotions - how they affect us physically (chakra time!), how our emotions manifest in relationships, and in the world. Even if you are mostly an emotionally healthy person, this book offers concepts and tools to navigate yourself and others, with the hope of unlocking more compassion for all (at least thats my take away!). I also like that the authors point out this book wont make you emotionally aware - only you can do that, only you ...more
Valarie Hammond
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Speaks to the heart and soul

Real change is possible threw the step here. So informative. Real insight as to what is going on inside us and why we do and act the way we do and how to focus on changing it
Islam Ahmed
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Great book, yet it seemed that it ran out of ideas one passed the middle pages and it just became a continuation of the main thought. Would recommend it still. But I would defintely start with the Seat of the Soul first.
Aidelisa

• Spiritual Growth: Being Your Higher Self
  • The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
  • Conversations With God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Book 2
  • Peace Is Every Breath: A Practice for Our Busy Lives
  • The Spontaneous Fulfillment of Desire: Harnessing the Infinite Power of Coincidence
  • The Calm Center: Reflections and Meditations for Spiritual Awakening (An Eckhart Tolle Edition)
  • It's Not About You: A Brief Guide to a Meaningful Life
  • Your Heart's Desire: Instructions for Creating the Life You Really Want
  • Get Out of Your Head: Stopping the Spiral of Toxic Thoughts
  • The Psychic Pathway: A Workbook for Reawakening the Voice of Your Soul
  • The Bridge to Forgiveness: Stories and Prayers for Finding God and Restoring Wholeness
  • Restful Sleep: The Complete Mind/Body Program for Overcoming Insomnia
  • Omer: A Counting
Gary Zukav is the author of The Dancing Wu Li Masters, winner of The American Book Award for Science; Soul Stories, a New York Times bestseller; and The Seat of the Soul, a New York Times, USA Today, Los Angeles Times, and Publishers Weekly #1 bestseller. His books have sold millions of copies and are published in sixteen languages. He is a graduate of Harvard and a former U.S. Army Special Forces ...more