Start by marking “Esme's Gift (Esme Series #2)” as Want to Read:
Esme's Gift (Esme Series #2)

Esme's Gift

(Esme Series #2)

In the enchanted world of Aeolia, fifteen-year-old Esme Silver is faced with her hardest task yet. She must master her unruly Gift – the power to observe the past – and uncover the secrets she needs to save her mother, Ariane.

In between attending school in the beguiling canal city of Esperance, Esme and her friends – old and new – travel far and wide across Aeolia,
Published November 30th 2019 by Odyssey Books

To ask other readers questions about Esme's Gift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Esme's Gift

Start your review of Esme's Gift (Esme Series #2)
Brenda
Fifteen-year-old Esme Silver’s shock was great when she saw the condition her beloved father was in. She also felt the menace and vindictiveness of her father’s new wife and her sister. Esme had been away for some time – now she knew her father didn’t believe her, and she was in danger of being institutionalized if she remained, so with a heavy heart she returned to the magical world she’d just arrived from – Aeolia.

Her good friends, Daniel and Lillian helped Esme enroll in her new school, which
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Esme's Gift was the perfect followup to the first novel! I had to go back and skim to remember what happened but book 2 also summarized a tiny bit to help us along.

There was so much wonderful magic in this book. My favorites were all the ghosts, the baby dragon sneezing sparks, Kendra, and the reunion at the end. It was so fast paced.

I almost wonder if there will be a book 3, I wonder what happened to Seth.

I just love the characters and the writing style and the editing, it's a perfect middle
Eileen

Although this is a fantasy book with dragons and other fantastical creatures/monsters, the focus of this story is more on Esme and her search for the ingredients fo a possible cure for her mother. And it does not disappoint in that respect. After the restoration of the pearl to the city (first book), Esme's friends and classmates start to discover their gifts, which all play different roles in this episode. We also find out more about Esme's Gift (which is the same as her mother's) and
Dany
Dec 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Esme's Gift continues Esme's wish after she decides to resurface to her village and ask her father to accompany her to Aolia.

As Esme struggles through her relationship with her father , school and getting remedy for her mom , Esme's Gift continues to shine the importance of friendship.

I read Esme's wish through Booksirens because it promised dragons , Atlantis-like-cities , mermaids , sirens + worldbuilding with unique abilities.

I dove into the book without much expectations and except for a
Elizabeth
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Here's an excerpt from a review by Readers' Favorite.

Esme's Gift explores a grittier, darker, and at times more beautiful Aeolia. Elizabeth Foster's strong world-building cultivates a story that's even more mysterious and layered than Esme's first swim into Aeolia. While a thriller element is woven into the fantasy plot in a way that kept me on the edge of my seat at times, where the book really stands out is in the characters.

Upping the action a bit from the first book, Esme, Daniel, and
Shelley Nolan
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the first page I fell back into the wonderful world of Aeolia and was eagerly watching on as Esme fought to save her mother. The tiny details added depth to the story, like a school library on the pier that used old boats as shelves and the Winter Parade that helped bring the water city of Esperance to life in full technicolour. Filled with well rounded characters, it drew me in and left me wanting more. I loved Esme and her determination to do whatever it took to save her mother from a ...more
Jean
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From dragons diving into volcaneos, Esme and her friends portalling out of art class and deep under water adventures, Esme’s gift is quite simply a thrilling and exciting read. I especially loved the magical venetian atmosphere of Esperance, which is expressed via vivid descriptions sprinkled throughout the story. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys being taken away to a beautifully creative fantasy world coupled with an equally as creative magic system all backed up by a fascinating gang of ...more
Chelsea Taylor
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was super fortunate to be able to read an advanced reader copy for the second book in this series. Esme's Gift took me for an absolutely amazing ride! I was so enthralled with the book, that on my way home from work, I actually missed my train stop! The world and character development is so well balanced and you are getting the full picture throughout! Even though this is a fantasy, the reactions are so realistic and well thought out! I highly recommend this series! Well done!
Julian Barr
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to receive an ARC of this book and couldn't put it down! It takes everything that was great about book 1 and makes it better. With a well developed whimisical world and heroes you can cheer for, this series has more than earned its place alongside Nevermoor.
Flusteredduck
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
received this book through LibraryThing Early Reviewers Group.

This book continues the adventures of Esme Silver. In the first book (Esme's Wish), Esme was in search of her missing mother and, following in her footsteps, found a portal to a magical world where, after a series of adventures (read the first book - it's good!), she found her mother and brought her back to be healed in the main city of the magical world. The second book starts with Esme going back to her original (?real) world to
Charlotte
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is no sexual content, no cursing, and no violence, so I would say this book would be good for readers aged 14+.
This author brings Esperance to life with her worldbuilding, but it's not so much that I get bored. This story is full of heros who quickly become friends. It's got that one person who you're not sure which side he's on, the one person you'll love to hate (for many resons). There is action, adventure, many different beasties. Our heros have amazing and unusual gifts. I could go on
Ilena Holder
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all ages
Elizabeth Foster is such a talented writer! I received this as an ARC and read it in one afternoon with a cup of tea. I got caught up in the world building and felt everything was well put together. I am a fan of YA works and always glad to see an author put something out that will be read by all age groups.
Sorcha
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Esme’s Gift is much more action packed than its successor, Esme’s Wish, but still doesn’t lose the enchanting feel. Fans of Harry Potter will love this book for its similar themes. More of the magical city of Esperance is described in detail and just makes you yearn to live there! The genuine friendship of the characters make this book a satisfying read, and hints at a healthy romance in the next book. The conclusion of the trilogy will be greatly anticipated!
I received an ARC from the author
SD Jericho
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
There was something very special about reading Esme’s Gift over the holidays – and it just felt right. Maybe it’s because of the magic and wonder of the book and the time of year. Not to say that things are perfectly harmonious in the book… but things aren’t always perfectly harmonious over the holidays either, are they?

I had the pleasure of reading Esme’s Gift with my daughter, who is now on the verge of turning 13. We read Esme’s Wish together and have waited with great anticipation for this
Elisa
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jeane Grimbeek
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After failing to convince her father to return with her back to Aeolia (and her comatose mother) and deemed unsound by him and new wife Penelope (with her bad intentions), Esme flees back to Aeolia and Esperance.

Reunited with best friends Daniel and Lillian, she decides to stay in Esperance until her mother is awakened from her magical coma (caused by her own Gift of being able to relive the past through water).

After Esme’s Wish, I didn’t even waste a second in diving back into the world of
Laurie Bell
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Aha! Another fabulous story. Esme’s Gift is Book Two in the Esme Trilogy and just as fabulous as the first. I’ve recently found this series and it is so much fun. A joy to read.

Esme is a young girl torn between two worlds. Her mother and the magical world of Aeolia, and her father back in “our world” and Esme’s home. Esme is also learning about her Gift… the ability to “see” the memory of water (which is a unique and clever use of magic in a series). This is a terrific book two that continues
Kim
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Esme's Gift is a worthy follow up to Esme's Wish. The additional world building and character development that come with book 2 are well-done. This story didn't feel as action-y as the first, but it was just as interesting. The addition of new teen side characters is welcome, as in the first book it sometimes felt like Esme, Daniel, and Lillian were the only kids in Esperance. Out of all these things, though, my favorite part is the further understanding that Esme develops about her powers. She ...more
Roberta
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Esme’s Wish, so I was excited to get my hands on an ARC of Esme’s Gift. I was not disappointed. This book has all the elements I loved from the first one: the magic, the dragons, the friendship, the complex alternative world. Added to that is a whole new adventure: trying to wake up Esme’s mum. The characters are (again) fully believable. I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes magic, great writing and dragons.

I was given a free copy of this book. My opinions are my
Charvi
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon!
R.J. Sorrento
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-book-reviews, sff, ya
Esme’s Gift is an exciting sequel from Elizabeth Foster. We delve deeper into Aeolia’s history (including misinformation about “otherworlders”) and join Esme, Daniel, and Lillian on a mission to save Ariane (Esme’s mother).

Book two focuses on Esme appealing to her father to join her in Aeolia to help save her mother. Her father refuses, however, still recovering from Esme’s recent disappearance, fearing he lost her at sea - the way he “lost” Ariane. So she returns alone but is quickly joined by
Lucy Foster
Catriona Irving
Dec 22, 2019

• Stories to Read by Candlelight
  • The Will and the Wilds
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Inkheart (Inkworld, #1)
  • The Mrs. Frollein Collection: Small Hours
  • Aurora Rising (The Aurora Cycle, #1)
  • The Hatch
  • Such a Fun Age
  • The Ivory Gate
  • A Tale of Magic... (A Tale of Magic, #1)
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • Book Love
  • The Gravity of Us
  • A Pack of Love and Hate (The Boulder Wolves, #3)
  • My Best Friend is a Goddess
  • Beauty Queens
  • Lirael (Abhorsen, #2)
  • She Ran Away From Love
I read avidly as a child, but only discovered the joys of writing some years ago. Reading to my own kids reminded me of how much I missed getting lost in other worlds. It's never too late to find and follow your passion! I live in Sydney, where I can be found running (just kidding - walking) by the water, or scribbling in cafés, indulging my love of both words and coffee.

Esme Series (2 books)
  • Esme's Wish (Esme Series #1)