Start by marking “The Four Profound Weaves: A Birdverse Book” as Want to Read:
The Four Profound Weaves: A Birdverse Book

The Four Profound Weaves: A Birdverse Book

(Birdverse)

Wind: To match one's body with one's heart
Sand: To take the bearer where they wish
Song: In praise of the goddess Bird
Bone: To move unheard in the night

The Surun' do not speak of the master weaver, Benesret, who creates the cloth of bone for assassins in the Great Burri Desert. But Uiziya now seeks her aunt Benesret in order to learn the final weave, although the price for
Expected publication: June 11th 2020 by Tachyon Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Four Profound Weaves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Four Profound Weaves

Start your review of The Four Profound Weaves: A Birdverse Book
Bogi Takács
I was a first reader of this as a manuscript and I loved it!! Awesome trans epic fantasy, carpets, bones :) Now I can finally add the book to Goodreads too!
_____
Source of the book: The author (who is my Spouseperson)
Courtney Kelly
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced copy from Tachyon Publications in exchange for an honest review. I thought this was a brutally beautiful tale, with some fantastical elements that enhanced the narrative but did not take away from the insightful messaging. Lemberg developed, powerfully transformative characters that give us the opportunity to explore pain, hope and acceptance. A truly lovely read.
Lisa
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sff
The most deeply satisfying book I’ve read in years. Solace, recognition, humanity, inspiration. I feel as if I’ve just returned from a spiritual quest.
Izzy Wasserstein
I was fortunate enough to get to read this in advance of its release. It's a lovely, powerful, deeply moving story of aging, taking risks and embracing truly transformative change. Lemberg's genius for setting, their finely-crafted characters, and their tale full of grief and hope will all stay with me for a very long time.
K.A. Doore
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reads
this is the queer fairy tale we deserve
rtc
Suna
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to be granted an ARC through Netgalley and.. Wow.
This is my first foray into the Birdverse and what a wondrous strange and beautiful world it is. The poetic language seeps under your skin almost unnoticed until you realise you are grabbing every free second to be with it again, leaning against the kitchen work surface, in the back of the car, in line at the post office. It’s a true strength of the narrative that this is a perfect standalone story; I was made aware there
Ashley
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I cannot wait to share my full review. Its moving, magical, inspiring, thought provoking and insightful. I loved it.
Allyson
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story is indeed profound. A hopeful tale of wanderlust told from the perspective of those who are tired of waiting for their lives to begin. I felt lucky to be able to explore this world and would love to return. This story of light also includes a rich darkness that talks of death and hope. I was given an advanced copy of this book for an honest review.
Jim
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I never got a chance to read any of the BIRDVERSE stories out there, but I got to read R. B. Lemberg's debut novella in that world and I have to say, I was blown away. It is beautiful: the language, the emotion, the characters, the world-building--everything.

This book needs to be read and enjoyed by everyone. It won't be available for a few months, but I was lucky to read it in advance and I believe that this may take home some awards for a 2020 book.

Get this one.
Read it.
Love it.
Megan
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was my first introduction to the bird verse, and wow! Like most fantasies, this book throws you in fast, with the story told in alternating viewpoints: Uiziya and the nameless man. I read it all in one setting and would love to sit in this world a little longer, as brutal and harsh as it can be. There is a hopeful tone as these two characters seek to better understand their identities and discover freedom for themselves. I’m intentionally vague and I don’t want to give anything away, but ...more
Fran
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this for a blurb! And I can finally share what I said! "R. B. Lemberg’s The Four Profound Weaves takes the reader on a deeply resonant journey of transformation and strength. Lemberg’s lyrical skill, combined with unforgettable characters and the magic of the Birdverse makes a stunning fabric over which this story plays beautifully."
Tanvi
Kendra
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a book of great beauty and wit and imagination. In The Four Profound Weaves, R. B. Lemberg crafts a story about growing up and growing old, magic and art, learning and traveling, trusting and transforming. The weaver Uiziya sets out into the desert to to find her aunt, who weaves clothes for assassins from bone, in hopes that her aunt will teach her the last of the Four Profound Weaves: weaving with death. With her travels an unnamed man, who is also looking for a kind of final learning, ...more
Ally
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
4.5 Stars

I received an advance reader copy from Tachyon Publications through Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

This story says so much more in 112 pages than some books can in 900. It follows two transgender elders in a fantastical world where magic and weaving must come together to fight evil and lead the protagonists on a journey through the desert to claim their true identities.

This is one of the most beautiful and touching fantasy stories I have read in a long time. The world
Leo
Jan 15, 2020 marked it as to-read
"Two transgender elders must learn to weave from Death in order to defeat an evil ruler."
YES please.

Source
Eule
trigger warning
(view spoiler)

Two elders are leaving the encampment in the desert, one of them wanting to find her aunt to finally learn the secret of the fourth profound weave.

Fantasy about weaving sounds boring at first - or at least, sounded to me.
But weaving is important - clothes are important. Yes, of course, today most of the work is done by machines, and clothes are so readily available that they're mostly seen for the purpose
delph ✨
dnf - 66% (im sad)

An e-ARC was provided by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange of an honest review. This does not effect my opinion in any way.

THE FOUR PROFOUND WEAVES is one of those books I wish I liked more than I did. If the world building and the lore the author wrote was great, I failed to connect with the plot and the overall story. Though I'll be supporting this book and this author as I believe it has great representation and is a book which can resound with a lot of readers.

Asher
This took me a long time to read, it's dense and heavy for a short novella. It's also quite lovely. It's very different from anything I've read before, following the story of two older people (both trans) on a strange adventure. I'd say it's a story about discovery of yourself, of learning to own who you are fully. It's so rare to see a story about older self discovery and I think it's something that's very needed. The diversity of bodies, experience, and culture were expertly woven into the ...more
Layla
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

3.5/4 out of 5 stars.

A very interesting story centring on identity, self discovery and acceptance.

Unfortunately for me, the writing style just didn't speak to me, so I really struggled through this. I found it hard to wade through. That's not to say that this isn't a good story, it just isn't the writing style for me.

I really loved the look into what it means to be one's truest self, and the different
Cassandra
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, net-galley
I recieved a electronic copy of this book by the publisher Tachyon Publications via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about two elderly transgender friends embarking of a mission and magic woven into four carpets in order to bring down a tyrant. I did feel like some questions weren't answered though. What are deepnames, what do the configurations of the syllables mean, and how is it related to magic?
Lexi
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
First thoughts: as a woman who mostly identifies with assigned gender this book was really eye opening about the trans/nb experience. It beautifully showed the differences in the struggles experienced by those who grow up in an accepting environment compared to those who don't.
Full review to come!
Jan 02, 2020
Tachyon Publications
Jan 02, 2020
Kasia Jakubas
rated it did not like it
Jan 05, 2020

• Sea Change
  • The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: The Apocalypse Suite
  • Peter Watts Is An Angry Sentient Tumor: Revenge Fantasies and Essays
  • The History of Living Forever
  • Artifact One Volume 1 (Artifact One, #0-3)
  • The Shadowhunter's Codex
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • Witchborn
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Beware the Kitten Holy (Lumberjanes, Vol. 1)
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Harleen
  • Season of the Witch (The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, #1)
  • That Can Be Arranged: A Muslim Love Story
R.B. Lemberg is a queer, bigender immigrant from Ukraine, Russia, and Israel to the US. Their stories and poems have appeared in Lightspeed‘s Queers Destroy Science Fiction, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, Uncanny Magazine, Sisters of the Revolution: A Feminist Speculative Fiction Anthology, and more. R.B.’s work has been a finalist for the Nebula, the Crawford, and other awards. Many of R.B.’s stories ...more

Birdverse (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Beneath Ceaseless Skies #80
  • The 2014 Rhysling Anthology
  • Marginalia to Stone Bird
  • Beneath Ceaseless Skies #175
  • Heiresses of Russ 2016: The Year's Best Lesbian Speculative Fiction
  • The Long List Anthology Volume 2: More Stories From the Hugo Award Nomination List (The Long List Anthology Series)
  • Beneath Ceaseless Skies #183 (Seventh Anniversary Double-Issue)
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 8: January/February 2016