Start by marking “Undertones” as Want to Read:

Undertones

Dane was a reliable guitarist until he got addicted to ants. Now he’s just a giant anteater with an abysmal grade point average. On a date with lead singer, Serena, they witness a gruesome incident. Waking up in the hospital, Dane realizes Serena’s missing. Going to the police only gets him a felony for possession of ants. Now, forced to lick the habit while he tracks down ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 248 pages
Expected publication: January 2nd 2020 by Black Rose Writing

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jan 02, 2020
    Enter for a chance at 1 of 100 exclusive preorder Kindle versions of L.S. Popovich's quirky "Undertones."

Dane was a reliable guitarist until he got

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 174 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Dec 02 - Jan 01, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Undertones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undertones

Start your review of Undertones
    Jon Nakapalau
    Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    Surreal and innovative - reminded me very much of Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis and Mikhail Bulgakov's Heart of a Dog. The author takes the protagonist on a two fold path of discovery - who am I and what is happening to the person I am becoming. Truly original and deeply layered - recommended.
    Rebecca McNutt
    Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This book is hard to describe exactly. It reminded me of a mix between the films Zootopia, Hard Core Logo and Pulp Fiction, but it's got its own brand of originality which can't really be placed in one particular category. Undertones is funny, riveting and avant-garde all at the same time, and follows the adventures of Dane, an anteater with a bad habit which is uprooting his whole life. While out with Serena, his lead singer, they come across a pool of blood and an attacked elephant, and he ...more
    George
    Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    “A dirty undercurrent runs through this sparkling civilization. And Serena got swept away in it.”

If instead of writing fables Aesop wrote a kind of noir novel with a soft spot for jazz then Undertones might be just such a book. L.S. Popovich’s creation is a zoological romp through conspiracy and intrigue. The main character is a green-haired anteater who plays in a jazz band called Undertones and is struggling with an ant addiction problem. Like me, you might wonder, Why is it an addiction if it
    M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
    This was a pretty enjoyable book, with a nice mix of mystery. If you like worlds with sentient animals (i.e. Zootopia) then this is a good book for you. Different species of animals live together in a world with technology equivalent to our own, and through the book there's some exploration of animal instincts and behavior, that I would have liked explored more in depth.

I know I shouldn't be putting too much thought into how animals came to have human technology (same as Zootopia) but I can't
    Tristan Drue Rogers
    Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
    When I first started to read Undertones, I was expecting some sort of riff on Zootopia and the ilk, but was pleasantly surprised that once I was able to peal back the base layer of reading a book about anthropomorphic animals that there is some real distinct noir flavoring here. And all the jazz, too.

It's easy to tell that the writing duo really love their characters, even the unsavory ones, with sharp dialogue, introspective narration, and really chewy line descriptions like, "Dark clouds
    Xilance
    Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Funny, endearing, and Thought-provoking. A story that transcendence the tropes of anthropomorphic animals doing human things by immersing the reader in rememberable characters living in a world that's light cast the shadows of our own.
    Kym
    Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
    If you've ever imagined what kinds of instruments animals might play or how they would interact with each if they lived in a human-like society, this might be the book for you! From the opening lines, the reader is immersed in a world of anthropomorphic animals that play in jazz bands, attend college, and where all kinds of birds and animals live and work together. The characters are well developed, and the creative world-building is carefully thought out and surprisingly believable.

Jackie Anders
    Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Wow! What a unique read!!

A teenager that is a giant anteater who plays in a band and is addicted to ants. It is very rare that I read something so unique and outside of the box. Even though, I doubted at first that I could continue because it wasn't my usual go-to, I was so surprised. The characters make-up only added to the special aspects of this book, but I don't want to say too much about that without spoiling the experience. And that is huge for me - the experience!

So after we get familiar
    Patricia Murphy
    Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: novels
    I was so impressed with the thoughtful inventiveness of Popovich's stunning novel Undertones. It is a wonderfully surreal study of relationships, and goes in depth into key themes such as violence, bullying, and "isms." The characters are well developed and the world is well built. It is a must read.
    M.L. Little
    Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Like Zootopia for adults, Undertones is clever, innovative, and remarkably fresh. I honestly have a hard time describing it. It feels very surreal, a little dark, and deeply plotted. It's about addiction, mobs, mystery. And don't forget every character is an animal.

It would almost be easy to forget they are animals, in actuality. They attend college classes, they crave coffee, they lose themselves in music, they smoke and kiss and fight and wrestle with moral decisions. This is not a cute
    Tamara
    Oct 07, 2019
    George
    Nov 11, 2019
    L.S. Popovich
    Sep 16, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
    Stewart Tame

• Reception
    • Brothers of Blood
    • There Was Always Laughter In Our House
    • The Book of Lost Things
    • The 30-Day Money Cleanse: Take Control of Your Finances, Manage Your Spending, and De-Stress Your Money for Good
    • The Damned Place
    • Nocilla Lab
    • Nocilla Experience
    • Fangirl
    • Alpaca Pati's Fancy Fleece
    • Get Up, Stand Up: (Preschool Music Book, Multicultural Books for Kids, Diversity Books for Toddlers, Bob Marley Children's Books)
    • A Stone Sat Still
    • The Splendid Things We Planned: A Family Portrait
    • The Tunnel: Selected Poems
    L. S. Popovich is the author of UNDERTONES and ECHOES FROM DUST. They have always been a cat person (a person who like cats, not a cat human hybrid).

Every house needs at least one room completely crammed with books, so they believe. (Other rooms should contain scattered piles.)

Their short stories and poems have appeared in Chrome Baby, Havok, Aphelion, Bull & Cross, Red Fez, Bewildering