Start by marking “The Wild Rose of Kilgannon (Kilgannon, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Wild Rose of Kilgannon (Kilgannon, #2)

The Wild Rose of Kilgannon (Kilgannon #2)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  598 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
She came to the Highlands an innocent bride, but one man's love and two nations' enmity would make her a woman....

In her unforgettable novel Kilgannon, Kathleen Givens brought to vivid life the tempestuous romance of Mary Lowell, an English aristocrat, and the Scottish chieftain Alex MacGannon, who claimed her as his bride. Swept into a world of ancient customs, fierce pas
Published November 9th 1999 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about The Wild Rose of Kilgannon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wild Rose of Kilgannon

MelissaB
The conclusion of the story begun in Kilgannon. Alex is tried for treason in England and Mary does everything she can to save him. Good ending to the story, I was glad they finally had a child. I enjoyed these books, they were very well written. The time period and setting came to life in the pages. I also enjoyed Alex and Mary's romance.
Mary
The Wild Rose of Kilgannon is the continuation of Mary and Alexander MacGannon's story. Alexander, against his wife's wishes and his own judgement joins the Jacobites and fights against King George's army in the First Jacobite Rebellion. When king James flees Scotland and the Rising fails, the Scottish leaders bear the brunt of King George's disfavour. Alexander gives himself up to the British army in exchange for his clan's safety. Will Mary be able to rescue him before it's too late?

Given that
Allison G
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This second book, the sequel to Kilgannon, was much better than the first. I have decided to view the first book as "setting the scene" and providing the background for the second book. In actuality, the two books should have been combined into one; however, most people will not read books that are 600 pages long. I, on the other hand, do not mind at all if the story is riveting enough to hold my attention.

While there still was not much history as far as battles, the story line was much more dev
Jennifer Brown
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sequel is much better than the first of this series

I was not happy with the first novel, Kilgannon, and I was only reading this sequel to satisfy my curiosity about the rest of the story. The writing style improves with this second book, and the story along with it. I'm glad I persevered and read this. There are still elements that I found implausible at times, and I didn't really like the main character Mary, but this second installment was a definite improvement on the first and I'm happy to r
Elizabeth
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Amazon
0-440-23568-5
Ruth Garner
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Swept along for the ride and lived it with them!

I've just finished this book and the one before it in two days with a toddler under foot, I simply could not put it down. Firstly let me say it was worth the investment both in time and money. If Kathleen Givens decides to write a third book in this story I will be buying it without hesitation. And while it's not entirely a cliff hanger ending, she leaves you with enough questions to allow for a third follow on novel, so I'm hopeful.
Her style of wr
Stevie
Apr 24, 2011 rated it liked it
I would like to give it 3.5 stars, because it was very good. Character development was well done, and the story moved at a good pace. The story was very enjoyable and if I hadn't read some of the reviews that should have been marked with spoilers but weren't, I think the would have had more intensity and more of the intended cliff-hanger effect. I had picked this book because it was on a list of best highlander romanced along with The Pride of Lions by Canham. It just missed for me. Many of the ...more
Mirah W
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have heard the Voyager series by Diana Gabladon is better than the Kilgannon series. I guess since I haven't read the Voyager series I wasn't making comparisons throughout and I enjoyed it. I thought it was a decent sequel to Kilgannon...it picks up where the other leaves off (I think it could have just been one long book, but I understand why a publisher would want to make two books instead). The characters in this book are great...I really like the supporting characters, especially Matthew. ...more
Becky
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I really like the main characters, Mary and Alex, and so I could forgive the fact that in this book a lot happened while at the same time nothing happened. We had the same parting scene over and over. We had various men making propositions of the married Mary. We had to pick up and move the family multiple times under dangerous circumstances. And then, while the story came to an end, we were clear that the troubles were not over. But there is not a third book, and sadly the author passed away, s ...more
Piroska
Feb 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Anne
Apr 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Another good story by Kathleen Givens. This is a continuation of the book "Kilgannon" in which Mary and Alex meet and marry. Drawn into a fight he would rather not be in, Alex goes off to fight the British invasion of Scotland, and saves his men by being captured. Mary goes to London to save him from execution, and finds that one of the judges is a reprobate, lyar and sexual pervert. he tries to bargain with Mary, imprisones her to re-capture Alex who has been freed bu his men, and the suspense ...more
Julee
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eine schöne Fortsetzung beim nach dem ersten Teil, aber zwischendurch ziemlich unnötig brutal. Ganz viel Herzschmerz würzen diese Geschichte und danach sind einem die Engländer noch ein bisschen unsympathischer.

Aber auch nach dieser Geschichte freue ich mich nicht in dieser Zeit als Frau leben zu müssen, die immer wieder Angst haben muss, das ihr Mann sich in den Tod begibt und selbst keine Meinung dazu haben darf.

Kate
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
What a stressful, stressful novel!! It was all threatening to kill off my favorite characters, making me afraid something bad would happen every second and then tricking me into thinking some were dead! Augh, I only pushed through so I could see the end and see where we would end up. I would give this a 2.5 if I could... Towards the end, like 10 pages from the very end, I almost threw the damn book across the room.

*sigh* The sad part, you ask? If there was a sequel, I'd read it.
Sammy
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Much better then the first book. On my seat the whole time wondering what was gonna happen. Mary was better in this book as well. There still was one instance i could have smacked her. She really needed to give Alex a break. You will know what i mean when you read it. But overall very good read! I will definitely read more by this author.
Kristen Smathers weiler
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it

Much faster pace than the first book in the series. I understand the author originally wrote the two books as a single book and was forced to split into two separate books due to length. I would have preferred to read this as a single book. Overall great, well written story and I recommend (just read the books back to back).
Lynda
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
I didn't enjoy this book as much as On a Highland Shore. I felt like there was a lot of exposition and not a lot of character development. And the main character, Mary Rose, kind of drove me crazy after awhile. Yes, it's one thing to be strong, but it's another not to heed advice of those who may know better.
Ashley
Sep 25, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked this book well enough... although if I didn't love the first book so much... I don't know if I would've liked this one as much. I don't like how the heroine and hero are apart for the majority of the book. Plus, the story line could drag a little in parts. Overall, though... it was a very enjoyable read :)
Lorilee
May 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
I wanted to read the second one because I wanted to know what happened and hoped that they would delve into the rebellion, etc. It was just ok. The best parts of the book, again, are the secondary characters like Angus and Matthew.
LOL_BOOKS
ARE THERE ANY NON-REGENCY OR NON-VICTORIAN HISTORICAL LOLMANCES YOU WOULD RECOMMEND BESIDES THE TWO MEDIEVAL ONES BY LAURA KINSALE?

I ALSO LIKED KILGANNON AND WILD ROSE OF KILGANNON BY KATHLEEN GIVENS FOR A HIGHLAND LOLMANCE.
Alina
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it
dragged on too much with the trial. the last 50 pages were exciting but should have been 150 pages with less time on the trial.
Joan
Mar 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
This one starts where Kilgannon left off and moves through the following years of fear and war in Scotland. Better than the average airplane read!
David A. Carey
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
An excellent read as was the first book. Now, I must find the next in the series.
Tara
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Although I didnot read the first book, I feel this book would have been better if I had. It was slow and confusing in parts where it directly referenced something I was not privy to.
Heike
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deutsch, historical
Fantastisches Buch und Autorin, ich bin unendstraurig das sie bereits im Jahr 2010 verstorben ist.
Gina
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved the writing and the story. It kept me full of emotion throughout. Definitely well worth a read.
Vanessa
rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2017
Emily Parsons
May 19, 2017
  • Midnight Honor (Highlands, #3)
  • A Scotsman in Love
  • The Scotsman
  • The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4)
  • The Magnificent Rogue
  • The Dreamer (Highland Treasure, #1)
  • Highland Heat (Highlander, #3)
  • Tamed by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #3)
  • Seducing the Highlander (The McTiernays, #5)
  • September Moon
  • Highland Rebel: A Tale of a Rebellious Lady and a Traitorous Lord
Kathleen Givens was born in New York City, but spent her early years living in the Northeast and Georgia before landing in Southern California at the age of ten. As a result, she is fluent in Valley Girl, Steel Magnolia, and Manhattanite.

From an early age, Kathleen was entranced by the history, legends and sagas of the people who mixed together to form Scotland, Ireland, England and later the Uni
More about Kathleen Givens

Kilgannon (2 books)
  • Kilgannon (Kilgannon, #1)