Start by marking “The Jinni Key: A Little Mermaid Retelling (The Stolen Kingdom Series Book 2)” as Want to Read:
The Jinni Key: A Little Mermaid Retelling (The Stolen Kingdom Series Book 2)

The Jinni Key: A Little Mermaid Retelling

(The Stolen Kingdom)

She holds the key to his heart, and he wants it back.

Rena is the youngest daughter of the Sea King, and she’s dreamed of the surface for years. But her first visit on her 16th birthday isn’t what she expects. She watches a Jinni fall from the sky—and chooses to save him, despite her mother’s warnings that all Jinn are evil.

Once she meets Gideon, she can’t get him out
Published December 3rd 2019 by Grace House Press

To ask other readers questions about The Jinni Key, please sign up.
Bethany Atazadeh There are four books in this series. :)…moreThere are four books in this series. :) (less)
Bethany Atazadeh Yep it does! :) Arie is the main character for the series, but new characters will be introduced throughout the series too!…moreYep it does! :) Arie is the main character for the series, but new characters will be introduced throughout the series too! (less)

Start your review of The Jinni Key: A Little Mermaid Retelling (The Stolen Kingdom Series Book 2)
Bethany Atazadeh
Aug 26, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The Jinni Key is a loose retelling of "The Little Mermaid" that follows Arie’s story in a surprising direction. It’s the second book in a four-book series of fantasy retellings, all based in the same world.

Title: The Jinni Key
Genre: YA Fantasy Retelling
Series: Book 2 of 4

ABOUT THE BOOK:
She holds the key to his heart, and he wants it back.

When Arie reveals her Gift, she thinks the worst is over. But she couldn’t be more wrong. The only one who can save her now is a mermaid named Rena.

Rena
Rachael
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bethany Atazadeh's writing talent grew with book 2 in The Stolen Kingdom series, THE JINNI KEY. There was very little that I predicted, when there was a moment of loss I truly felt it, and I loved the unique spins she placed on the well-known THE LITTLE MERMAID tale. THE JINNI KEY is a very loosely-based retelling of THE LITTLE MERMAID, with the only similarity being that there's a mermaid who longs to be on land with the man she loves. I found a lot of the choices that Bethany made to be very ...more
Reagan Naujok
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
The Jinni Key is the second book in the Stolen Kingdom series and it is a very very loose retelling of the little mermaid. Rena, the Ariel of this story, had saved a jinni from drowning when he fell out of the sky and she has fallen in love with him and she will do anything to prove that love to herself and her family.

After I got the first book in the series through once upon a book club, I was extremely excited to read this sequel. I’m just as excited to read the third book and the forth when
Mandi Lynn
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come!!! ...more
Lissyiszy
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to read this Little Mermaid retelling! I've always enjoyed the Disney version of The Little Mermaid, but Bethany's "loose" retelling is roughly akin to the original fairy tale which is a little darker and the end isn't as happy (Bethany's version is a HEA for the most part ^_~). While Rena probably looks more like Ariel with the red hair, her personality is more developed than Ariel's.

Rena can be tough to love at first but I didn't have a problem with her because I understood why
Janine
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Once again, Bethany Atazadeh takes some risks with this Little Mermaid retelling and mixes in a lot of original story and world elements, along with engaging characters to make it an intriguing and magical read that I was sad to see end.

This installment in the Stolen Kingdom series stars Rena, a mermaid that has fallen in love with a Jinni, Gideon, and throughout the next year, falls in love via her visions through her enchanted key, the Jinni Key, which targets one’s desires. (view spoiler)
Ashley
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was sent to me as an ARC from the author.

As a long-time Disney fan, and someone who truly enjoyed the first book in this series, I was anxiously anticipating the second book. Unfortunately, due to circumstances and life, I was unable to read it when I first got it, but I was off today, picked it up intending to read only a few chapters, and immediately got sucked in. I finished the book in only a few hours.

The pacing and character development in this book was excellent. This is a
Francesca
I was introduced to this author through a subscription box and I cannot be more grateful! I fell in love with the first book in this series, The Stolen Kingdom, which is a loose retelling of Aladdin. The Jinni Key is the second book in a 4 book series and it’s a loose retelling of The Little Mermaid but picks up where Stolen Kingdom left off.

We get to see how our favorite characters are doing in this book and get to know Rena quite a bit better. I preordered this as soon as I finished reading
Kaylee White
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd honestly give this book 4.5 stars. It was a good story and I loved finding out what happens next. I'm excited and am definitely going to read the third book. Captivating story. I had an issue with the main character though. She just rubbed me the wrong way. Not that there was anything the author did wrong, it just wasn't a personality I connect with. The character had some good growth throughout the book and by the end of it, I didn't hate her as much as I did when the story first started. ...more
Katelyn Spedden
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this novel from the author!
Ok to start off with I LOVED the Stolen Kingdom so I was really excited for this book and I preordered it the moment I finished book one and I was NOT disappointed. Bethany Atazadeh weaves such a wonderful story and you really do find yourself so invested in all of the characters. I couldn't even put the book down because I had to know what happened with Rena. These are the kind of retellings that I love because while the base story is weaved in
Aminata Coote
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bethany knocked this one out of the park! After reading The Stolen Kingdom, I was excited to read the second installment in the series and it was fantastic. This was not what I expected.

I was frustrated and agitated by the characters (especially Rena) and there were times I had to put the book down and walk away but I couldn’t stay away.

I was totally invested in the characters and wanted to see what would happen next...and now I'm waiting anxiously for book 3...
Elira Barnes
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was a roller coaster of emotions for me!

I was gripped into Rena's story from the very start and was rooting for her to succeed in her mission.

I absolutely loved this take on the Little Mermaid and the concept of how our greatest desires can constantly change.

There is so much action going on in this book and as the story moved on, the stakes kept getting higher and higher - I couldn't put it down (read it in a few hours) and I can't wait to read the next book in the series!
Andrea Roberts
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing second book! All of Bethany’s hard work paid off ten fold! I loved how all the relationships developed and all the animal moments. I especially love Rena and her quirky personality. She makes an amazing POV character.
Grace Herbst
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friendship, romance, ouat
Caitlyn Martin
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, ya
This book was magical and absolutely enthralling. The characters feel so real. The world is easy to get absorbed into. It's by far the best retelling of The Little Mermaid I've read. Bethany Atazadeh has a gift (or maybe a Gift?), and I can't wait for the third installment in the series!
Eve
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to come.
Kimberly Swartz
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indiecember-2019
Like the first one, I loved this book. It expanded the characters from the first book and I loved every minute of it.
Stephanie Holmes
I really liked this lose retelling of the little mermaid. I actually watched the movie a few weeks ago. I like how in the book Rena was blunt and honest. The undersea world building was done amazingly.
I liked seeing Arie and Kadin's story continue. The pacing of the book was good, and it was hard for me to put down.
Sarah Sutton
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I went into this story super excited to find out more about Rena and Arie, and I was left unable to wait for the next book! I seriously read this book in one sitting (which left everything aching, but so worth it!). I absolutely loved The Stolen Kingdom, and book two did not disappoint. The Jinni Key’s world-building was actually one of my favorites, so complex and detailed and very fun. The characters were all easy to connect with too, with funny wits and realistic feelings. I was especially ...more
Tristan Munoz
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you had to give up a major part of yourself for love, would you do it? This is a decision Rena is faced with in The Jinni Key. On her 16th birthday, Rena spends a day above water and witnesses a Jinni fall from the sky. A year later, she trades her fin for legs as she searches for her love. The rest of the book is a fast paced story of exciting adventures and love - making this book one that is difficult to put down!

At the end of The Stolen Kingdom (Book 1 in the Stolen Kingdom Series - a
Nichole (bookmom4ever)
I received an ARC from the author.
4.5 Stars
I loved the first book Stolen Kingdom and couldn't wait to read the next installment. I was thrilled to get an ARC copy and read it quickly. The book starts with some background on Rena and how she met Gideon. It then jumps right back into continuing the story from the first book. The stories are well connected and I still love Arie and Kadin. It was a fun, and wonderful story. I loved the Little Mermaid as I kid and was happy to see how great this
Athena
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ARC REVIEW TO COME
A. K.
Jan 05, 2020 added it
I really liked The Stolen Kingdom and was excited to read this sequel, but it was very disappointing. A much younger audience (like 11-13) might like it as at times it feels very middle grade. I personally had trouble getting through it. The characters lack agency and spend most of the book waiting for things to happen. The two main storylines have no real connection and feel forced together. Rena’s character is very immature and unlikable, Arie’s chapters are very repetitive and just a less ...more
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Jinni Key is the 2nd book in this series, and it did not disappoint! Bethany's ability to draw out the suspense was fantastic. I never knew what to expect next! It's a loose retelling, but I really liked it that way. She delved more into her world of Jinn and I loved seeing more of the characters from the first book. I loved the dynamics in all the relationships, especially Rena and her sisters. The mermaid world is also really twisted and interesting. I'm not normally a mermaid fan, but I ...more
Mya Gray
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That ending was so bittersweet.. I love it though. Probably RTC. ...more
Angel
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Jinni Key explores a dark retelling of The Little Mermaid. Everything about the novel, I loved. Especially Atazadeh's voice. I cannot wait for the next volume!
Liz H
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was as good as the first one. Lots of intrigue and some romance. Just enough of the original fairy tale was used in this retelling.
Michelle
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first book in the series. Although I appreciate the way everything connects, it also felt slightly forced to me.
Emily martin
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
really enjoyed the spin on little mermaid
Amanda Ebner
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the ship in this one.

• A Royal Christmas Wish: An Enchanting Christmas Romance from Hallmark Publishing
  • Songs from the Deep
  • Suggested Reading
  • A Constellation of Roses
  • Holly Banks Full of Angst
  • Today We Go Home
  • Housewitch
  • Book Sales That Multiply: Targeting Your Ideal Reader With eBook Promotions, Paid Ads & More! (Marketing for Authors, #3)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • A Thousand Roads Home
  • Grow Your Author Platform: Generating Book Sales with Your Website, Email Marketing, Blogging, YouTube and Pinterest Using Content Marketing (Marketing For Authors, #2)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • A Pizza My Heart (Slice #1)
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • Here to Stay
  • Goddess of the Night
  • Listen to Your Heart
  • The Long Flight Home
Bethany Atazadeh is a Minnesota-based author of YA novels and non-fiction. She graduated from Northwestern College in 2008 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English with a writing emphasis. After graduation, she pursued songwriting, recording, and performing with her band, and writing was no longer a priority. But in 2016, she was inspired by the NaNoWriMo challenge to write a novel in 30 days, ...more

The Stolen Kingdom (3 books)
  • The Stolen Kingdom: An Aladdin Retelling