Start by marking “How to Bless the New Moon: The Priestess Paths Cycle and Other Poems for Queens (Jewish Poetry Project)” as Want to Read:

it was amazing 5.00  ·  Rating details ·  11 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Published October 29th 2019 by Ben Yehuda Press

To ask other readers questions about How to Bless the New Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Bless the New Moon

it was amazing Average rating 5.00  ·

Start your review of How to Bless the New Moon: The Priestess Paths Cycle and Other Poems for Queens (Jewish Poetry Project)
Claudia Hall
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let's start with the basics. 1) I hate poetry. 2) I love this book. The reason I'm giving it 5 stars is because it spoke to my soul with its raw, evocative and prose laden style that depends on twists and contrasts to address the very real, and often painful, split between the Divine Feminine as She exists in goddess spirituality and the socially projected feminine who is oppressed and used by patriarchy.

This work digs into that split like a sore tooth you can't help poking at because there is
Aviva Funke
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is essential for Jewish women. Rachel Kann captures the essence of all the various types of women, empowering each of us to find our song, sing it and be boldly authentic. For those seeking connection to all women, this book allows us all to find our place at the sacred table of gathering. I bring this to all my gatherings now, and am so grateful for her channeled creative wisdom. Enjoy this book and find yourself in it.
Michelle Kunzelmann
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'll never forget the first time I met Rachel, within 40 seconds I was in Love with her words, expression, inflection, and wisdom.
"Shame is a stubborn lock. Pick it anyway. The combination is inconsequential where we are headed."
Each time I visit How to Bless the New Moon I am reminded of the strength within me. I come more alive with each reading. Thank you Rachel for this exquisite collection of poetry.
Talya Jankovits
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As always, Rachel’s poetry is breathtaking. Her collection is a fem celebratory book of psalms! Tell them you’ve come to get your drum back! Her words on the page beg to be read aloud with fierce intent. Her poems left me filled with hope and a powerful fury to right the wrongs, to have a voice and of course to read more! I highly recommend this book of verse, to be read quietly at first and then aloud because Rachel’s words are most powerful when spoken.
Ruthie
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book this is! Queens and Priestesses come to life via Rachel Kann's brilliant poetry and breathtaking characterizations. She celebrates the Divine Feminine in a myriad of ways which are music to the ear and balm to the soul. Her poetry is simply unforgettable. A Must-Read!
Marilyn Russell
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have so many adjectives to describe this book but I'll sum them up with the cliche, Wow! First I read through the whole book which I don't usually do with poetry at first sitting. This is a book you can pick up after reading and go back to again and again and be amazed and astounded. Sometimes I just sit down with it now and read one poem and it means so much to me. I have never read anything like this book although my profession was librarian so I have read many for pleasure and ...more
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
QUEEN! Rachel Kann's poetry speaks to my soul. This woman was born to write; she was born to write about women and her heart speaks to the hearts of every woman who reads her work. Excerpts of these poems find their way into my Instagram posts and on my classroom whiteboard frequently. You will find yourself nodding as you smile or wipe away a tear. This is a MUST-READ for women and for poetry lovers.
Erika Dreifus
Do not skip the two forewords here which help explain the "priestess" element of this book. ...more
Ronnie Robinson
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book of poetry is great! I gained some insight into some a space I wouldn’t have otherwise been and I’m better for it. I loved reading about the Priestesses and Queens in this book. Quite a few poems really stuck out and resonated with me but I hope you read this work and I know you will find hope and light if you do!
Marleene
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps more than any other form of writing, reading poetry could be compared to a drinking a glass of wine. And like a fine vintage, Kann’s poetry begs to be savored and rolled around the tongue. One should linger with this work, as its bouquet needs a slow appreciation of its many flavor nuances. It is insightful, feminist, and cerebral. The reader will not be disappointed and I encourage multiple readings as unlike a glass of wine, this work doesn’t empty itself.
Kama Fletcher
Ned
Jan 06, 2020

• Zaitoun: Recipes from the Palestinian Kitchen
  • Red Clocks
  • Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1)
  • Ani DiFranco: Verses
  • Comic Book Tattoo
  • The Doll's House (The Sandman, #2)
  • No Walls and the Recurring Dream: A Memoir
  • Potty Training in 3 Days: The Step-by-Step Plan for a Clean Break from Dirty Diapers
  • When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times
  • The Quest
  • Paula Deen's Southern Baking: Favorite Recipes from her Savannah Kitchen
  • Sababa: Fresh, Sunny Flavors From My Israeli Kitchen
  • A Constellation of Vital Phenomena
  • Ninth Street Women: Lee Krasner, Elaine de Kooning, Grace Hartigan, Joan Mitchell, and Helen Frankenthaler: Five Painters and the Movement That Changed Modern Art