Start by marking “Siren's Song (Dorina Basarab #4.6)” as Want to Read:
Siren's Song (Dorina Basarab #4.6)

Siren's Song

(Dorina Basarab #4.6)

War mages are the magical equivalent of tanks: tough, powerful, and deadly. They have to be, in order to defend the supernatural community from the dangerous threats it sometimes faces. But what happens when the threat is them?

John Pritkin has been trying to recover from a demon curse that separated his body and soul and almost killed him. The reunification has left him
Published September 12th 2019

Start your review of Siren's Song (Dorina Basarab #4.6)
Sophia
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audio Edition Review

Updated review with original below:

If I thought I loved reading this series that is nothing to how I feel about listening to them. What a wild rollercoaster rush these become. And, the humor? Amped!

This was already going to be a winner and it was simply an issue of how much. In truth, I thought I'd already gotten this story in Dragon's Claw, the earlier release with the story from Dory Basarab's perspective and Siren's Song would merely flip things to John Pritkin's
Dajuan
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wild ride and great insight into John Pritkin's character

Pritkin is hands down my favorite character aside from Cassie. I loved this book because it gave us a lot of background on him in the way of flashback memories. Karen Chance has a way of making the flashbacks work as part of the story, so the transition between past and present day wasn't jarring like it can be with other authors. Every flashback had relevance to the story that was being told as well. I don't know how she manages to
Lorie
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omg

It was so good. A great continuation bit without Cassie. Learned more about John and Dorina. I have enjoyed everything by this author.
Steph
As the author explains, Siren's Song is a companion novel for Dragon’s Claw (Dory's POV):
“Pritkin has a nice part to play in “Dragon’s Claw”, the new Dory novella. As some of you know, I’ve been doing Dory stories for a while, and I usually have an alternate POV in each of them (Marlowe in “Zombie's Bite” and Mircea in “Lover's Knot”). I planned for Pritkin to be the alternate POV in DC, but his story just grew and grew. I checked with my publishing company just to be sure, and they said that
Liz (Quirky Cat)
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
Siren’s Song is the latest novella from Karen Chance, and once again we find ourselves diving into the mind of Pritkin (a crowd favorite). This novella takes place during a very specific period of time, happening sometime after Ride the Storm, and before/during Brave the Tempest. It’s also occurring at the same time as Dragon’s Claw (a Dory story). In fact, it’s in the same place and covering the same events, just from Pritkin’s perspective.
John Pritkin is still recovering from the whammy of a
Rhiannon Chillingworth
2 5 really.

Look. I adore John Pritkin. He is one of my favourite characters of any book ever. And I adore him and Cassie together.

I've also followed the main series since the beginning, so, like many, got pretty tired of being dicked about by the love triangle of doom and waiting for years between books. I've also lost all patience with the author's increasing use of non stop chaotic action to make up over 80% of every book. It's just not enjoyable to read. It gets boring and chaotic and,
Lorre
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was great to read about Pritkin's POV about the meeting with Dory/Dorina.
Loved Zheng and the Little Temple Dancer as well, they were great side charachters.
Pritkin was already a powerful mage so far but now that he's starting to embrace his demon half... WOW! No wonder the demon council wanted him dead, they are just shitting their little demon pants because they know how powerful he could be.
Debrac2014
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story! Action packed fun! Maybe too much action, which made it a bit confusing at times. Good ending!
Hildegard
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pritkin

If you thought there wasn't enough Pritkin in"Brave the Tempest," you will love this book.
This gives us glimpses into Pritkin's past, as his soul and body reintegrate, following Cassie's return from the past.
It also shows us from his PoV, just what kept him too busy to show up during the first part of BtT.
In "Dragon Claw" we saw Dory's part of the happenings, but even though "Siren's Song" takes place at the same place and time, there is very little overlap.

If you haven't read any of the
Kathleen Gresham
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wild Ride through a Wonderful Magic World!

Karen Chance makes fantasy so real that you feel you could move into her beautiful, scary world if only you had the courage of her brave, funny, brilliant magical characters.

Take this wild, magical ride with the beloved, brilliant, cranky war mage, John Pritkin, and escape your old boring, mundane reality for a few amusing, exciting hours.
Judi S.
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Let's start by saying I love John Pritkin. I've been hoping for him to win the battle for Cassie and I'm thrilled he did. I also always wanted a book just about him, but was hoping for more history than...this.

That all being said, this book was BUSY!!!! I mean, holy cow, I had to keep stopping just to get my brain to slow down enough to catch up to what was going on. There's storylines with lots in them, then there's storylines like this, that are so busy you just can't figure out what's going
Kimberly
First of all, if you have not read Cassie 1-8 you're doing yourself a great disservice and many of the great references in this book will go right over your head. It's a Karen Chance book, which means amusement. So, if you don't get the jokes, what's the point? Next, follow John Pritkin on an acid-trip like journey down memory lane. This book has all the laughs, and all the feels and more pieces of the puzzle that is the universe of Cassie, Dory, the mages, witches and vampires. Karen Chance ...more
Louisa
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, such a fantastic book! Loved being in John's head, and loved seeing how this book and Dragon's Claw intersect! There's a whole scene that Dorina had with Pritkin that we didn't see before, which was so fantastic! And of course there's tons of action that never stops!
Julie
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love anything involving Pritkin
Boo
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great story to see in Johns head and even see his adventures without Cassie. Really enjoyed it. But I can’t wait for more of him and Cassie. I was sad she wasn’t really in this book. I just love them so much. Can’t wait for the next game next book. Loved this one.
inkspell_blu
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m so happy to have more Pritkin! And magic and battles and other mages (that mage who yessired Pritkin much to his chagrin was such a cute moment). He doesn’t like it when they don’t respect him, he doesn’t like it when they do ...more
Alice
Pritkin

Filled in some gaps with his character that I think were present in Brave the Tempest. Plus fun with Zheng and Dory.
Nicci
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like I waited forever for this book to come out! It was supposed to be a novella but it grew and grew until it was a full-length monster of a book. Normally, this would be fine with me but I must admit that I'd have probably enjoyed this book more if it was a novella... There was a lot of stuff that could have been trimmed out. However, I enjoyed the book regardless of all the random stuff.
I mean, it's a Pritkin book! I love that crazy assed War Mage!

And in this book we get to see what
Connie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
It was really interesting to see the other side of 'Dragon's Claw', and who doesn't love Pritkin? But for the first half of this book I was basically just confused and lost. The second half though ...more
Cassie
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Siren’s Song was a fantastic novel from John Pritkin’s POV. It takes place at the same time as Dragon’s Claw but the stories only overlap for a short bit.

It was so great to see Pritkin’s side of that battle and how he interacted with the citizens (and ads!) of supernatural Hong Kong. But I really loved the flashbacks to his memories. We learn so much about him and how he makes his decisions. I loved the insight into his dual nature - I had no idea his demon half was so like the Dory/Dorina
Jeanine Mc Donnell
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great Pritkin Story

This was a fantastic Pritkin tale. It's the companion piece to the Dory story "Dragon's Claw", which if you have not read, you should go do so. It was very cool to get the Pritkin side of things and hear things from his perspective. I would definitely read more stories about him. Hell, I'd be delighted if Ms. Chance were to do the entire Cassie series all over again, except from his point of view this time.
I've read a few reviews recently where the authors complained that
Theresa
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A story about John Pritkin. John keeps having horrible recollections from his past and when he wakes up finds that time has passed and he’s been conjuring and walking in his sleep. Then something enthralls all the war mages sending them through a portal and John seems to be the only one in his right mind.

This is the mage battle in the phased Hong Kong that was in the book ‘Dragon’s Claw’ only this is in John’s POV showing what he was doing at the time.

Had a hard time reading this it was so
Natari
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sirens Song was everything I hoped and more. Is it possible to fall in love harder with ultimate book boyfriend John Pritkin? Sirens Song proved it was. With the style and pace that Karen is known for, this is a great addition to the bookshelf.

With new interactions between characters that don't get to cross often in the main Cassie Palmer Series this was a fully entertaining adventure and action.

I loved seeing the elements of Dorina Basarab short story Dragons Claw from the other side, giving
Amy
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Companion read to Dragon's Claw, either can read first.

John Pritkin has been mostly dead for two weeks and upon his return he finds himself halfway across the work in the magical version of Hong Kong trying to save his fellow mages from being enthralled by a spell.

Having read Dragon's Claw first, I spent the first half of the book eagerly awaiting the part of the story where we would see John's point of view from his interaction with Dorina. In the second half of the story we got learn more
Rachael
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
John Pritkin has had a terrible few weeks. First he dies. Then his soul is saved. Now he's blacking out and wandering around town in his pjs. It seems like a somewhat understandable, if not normal, side effect of the whopper of a spell that was placed on him. Until all of the warmages are enthralled into a portal to magical Hong Kong.

Siren's Song is the sister story of Dragon's Claw. It's a big longer than it needs to be, but that means there's more room for some sweet Zheng-Zing. A fair trade
Vintagebooklvr
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 star. A wild ride that never lets up. There are a lot of unique things in this race through Hong Kong against overwhelming odds. And some of them are really funny. I loved the interactive advertisement woman who helped save the day and might have earned her own independent life because of it. It was a little too long, particularly with some of the early flashbacks but overall a fun treat.
Susanna
The book started well, but evolved to an endless, highly repetitive battle. Half of it would've sufficed, especially since the mayhem had no impact on how the battle was solved. But more Pritkin is always better than less Pritkin, so I persevered. And it was a lot of fun too. Pritkin learned new things about himself, and made new friends, most of whom tried to kill him. Good times.
MKYHome
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Is it really good vs evil?

I have been a Karen Chance junkie for many years. Love Cassie, Dory and John characters. This is one author that bats it out of the park consistently. Discover this gem of an author is all I can say.
Elishia
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Authors

This is an exciting fast paced novella to the larger Cassie Palmer storyline. I would recommend this book if you are already familiar with the Cassie Palmer books. Lots of action, and funny absurdities.
donnalennon
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Truly a wonderful read

Consistently the best author writing. Always delivers a book that you never want to end. Thank you Karen Chance for not letting fans, critics or any others stop you from creating magic. Listen to your muse and no other!

• Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • Wicked Hour (Heirs of Chicagoland, #2)
  • Wicked Wings (Lizzie Grace, #5)
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • The Shadow Court (Wilde Justice, #4)
  • How to Kiss an Undead Bride: The Epilogues (The Beginner's Guide to Necromancy, #7)
  • Aurora Blazing (Consortium Rebellion, #2)
  • Archangel's War (Guild Hunter, #12)
  • Wolf's Bane (Otherworld: Kate and Logan, #1)
  • Demon's Dance (Lizzie Grace, #4)
  • Druid Vices and a Vodka (The Guild Codex: Spellbound, #6)
  • Boundary Haunted (Boundary Magic, #5)
  • Well of Magic (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill #4)
  • Sharpest Sting (Elemental Assassin, #18)
  • The Queen's Advantage (Rogue Queen, #2)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Slaying Monsters for the Feeble (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #2)
Karen Chance is the author of two New York Times bestselling series, plus a number of novellas and short stories, all set in the Cassandra Palmer universe. A full-time writer since 2008, she was previously a university history teacher, which comes in handy when writing the time-travel aspect of Cassie’s crazy adventures. She loves Las Vegas, the main setting for her novels, but currently lives in ...more

Dorina Basarab (5 books)
  • Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1)
  • Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2)
  • Fury's Kiss (Dorina Basarab, #3)
  • Shadow's Bane (Dorina Basarab, #4)
  • Queen’s Gambit (Dorina Basarab, #5)
“As if the strangest thing they’d seen all day was a bra wielding madman” 0 likes