Start by marking “Twigs and Knucklebones” as Want to Read:
Twigs and Knucklebones

Twigs and Knucklebones

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  59 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
"Had Dr. Dolittle fathered a prodigious daughter, she might well be behind the bizarre and entertaining personae found on the pages of Lindsay's first-book bestiary...Lindsay's dark-edged, sometimes creepy poems are also imbued with a buoying sense of respect for the different, the unexpected and the challenging.... In work reminiscent of Amy Clampitt and of Albert Goldbar ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Copper Canyon Press

To ask other readers questions about Twigs and Knucklebones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twigs and Knucklebones

anthony e.
Dec 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If there was a way to assign this book with a rating higher than 5, I would take it. Twigs and Knucklebones is an astounding achievement. Its poems are deep with meaning, with a kind of yearning look at the wasting away of existence, be it natural, cultural, or philosophical. It weaves ideas into and out of itself throughout, touching on deeply moving notions of sadness and perserverence, time and discovery, decay and triviality. The writing is colloquial enough not to veil the meaning of the te ...more
Roxanne
Dec 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I've been a fan of Lindsay's for a while, but I absolutely loved this poetry collection and it appealed to me even more than her older work. As an archaeology geek, the long middle section about the Kingdom of Nab got me both excited and teared up. Lindsay gets right to the heart of so many of the issues I love about archaeology: who were the people who left these things behind? What can we learn about them, and what will we never know? What stories have been lost?
Nicola
Dec 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
You must must read this! One of my favorite poetry collections of ALL TIME. Let me know if it's your birthday, and I'll buy it for you--no kidding.
Elizabeth
May 15, 2009 added it
Shelves: poetry
Lindsay is interesting.... she’s engaged in science and in, well, clutter (her last collection was called “Mount Clutter.”).

This book has two sections of more traditional “poet engages with world” sections that bookend an invented society. The invented society is dug up by archaeologists, is imagined, is rendered. Fun, I suppose. All those traces of Terabithia, Narnia, the glory of making up a world and a past... then making up the discovery of it.
Alan
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Inventive, unusual poems - many of them are thrilling - that unfold in an odd space between fantasy, reality and science.
Gabriel Amor
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely amazing collection and possibly the first book of poetry I've read from cover to cover, and read over and over again. "Fluke" is just brilliant. I am awed by the author's ability to convey worlds far removed from our own,to use scientific knowledge without bogging down the language. As if that weren't enough, there's a book within a book of poetry as well.

Highly recommended reading.
Samantha
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, archaeology
The only question I kept asking myself while reading this was, "Why am I only just now discovering Sarah Lindsay?!" A fantastic collection about archaeology and nature, encompassing both the sweeping vastness and small details embedded in history. Most impressive is the middle section of the book, a series of poems about a fictional ancient kingdom called Nab. A collection about a very specific intersection of science, art, and nature, but well worth the read for any lover of poetry.
Kat Saunders
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
The structure felt somewhat strange and the Nab poems, in particular, were out-of-place. As a whole, I liked those poems less than the other two sections of the collection. But I haven't enjoyed reading a collection of poetry this much in years, small gripes aside.
Mii
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read!
Travis Everett
Aseem Kaul
Feb 22, 2013
Emilyrs
Dec 01, 2008
Born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, in 1958, the poet Sarah Lindsay works as a copy editor and proofreader in Greensboro, North Carolina. She is the author of Primate Behavior (Grove Press Poetry Series, 1997) which was a finalist for the National Book Award; Mount Clutter (Grove Press Poetry Series, 2002); and Twigs and Knucklebones (Copper Canyon Press, 2008). A graduate of St. Olaf College and the UNC- ...more
More about Sarah Lindsay...