Start by marking “Starting from Scratch (Starting From, #2)” as Want to Read:
Starting from Scratch (Starting From, #2)

Starting from Scratch

(Starting From #2)

Charlie Rourke is an ultra fabulous human whirlwind on a mission to launch the next biggest band in the world. However, he might have taken on more than he could handle when he signed on to manage Zero. Promoting a rock band and finding gigs shouldn’t be hard. They’re a talented group with a ton of star power. If Charlie can find the right record label, he’s sure he can he ...more
Published October 15th 2019 by Lane Hayes

To ask other readers questions about Starting from Scratch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starting from Scratch

Start your review of Starting from Scratch (Starting From, #2)
Judith

Ever since Charlie was introduced in book one I've been dying to read his story and it definitely didn't disappoint.This is book two and while it isn't a follow-up,the stories are connected so I would advise reading that first.Also to fully appreciate the characters and the family dynamics,especially Charlie's-I even struggled a bit initially remembering things.

So Charlie is just a bit fabulous (I'm sure he'd use that word to describe himself!).
Sassy,driven,immaculately turned out-a true force of nature.He's taking his job managing the up
Dia
4,5 stars

This is the second book in the Starting from series by Lane Hayes. It can be read as a standalone but I advise you to read the first book too to better understand the dynamics between the characters and to avoid spoilers about other characters.

I loved this second book much more than the first one. I got invested into the story pretty quickly. Both main characters are lovable, sweet, interesting.

I adored Ky/Kyle! He was amazing with his surfer appearance and his love to skateboard. Behind his care
~Mindy Lynn~
5 Stars!

I really enjoyed this one. I especially loved the chemistry between the two MC's. Loved this one so much more than the first.

Charlie is a whirlwind of words and I adored him and his antics as much as Ky did. Ky... I am all about this skater boy and is carefree spirit. He was the calm to Charlie's chaos. They balanced each other so well. I loved how much Ky wanted Charlie. Wanted his attention, his words, his body, and in the end, his heart. Charlie wanted Ky just as much and
Jan
Oct 16, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish-dnf
Shelves: lgbtq
DNF 42%

Oh, man....

I really loved book one and was super excited to read Charlie's story. He is a great character, sassy, witty and funny. However, this story is missing the most crucial thing in a romance: chemistry.

I hope it works better for other readers; this is just my opinion.

Peace! ✌🏻
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

Great addition to the series. I quite liked Charlie. And Ky!

Some bits seemed a bit repetitive...descriptions of Charlie's dads and family dynamic. His self-worth issues. All explained through internal monologue.

Didn't ruin the story for me.

Hoping Tegan gets a book....maybe with Declan as the love interest? There's definitely something there!

Lane Hayes for the win once again!
Cadiva
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

The second entry in Lane Hayes' rock band series is an absolute classic tale of a pairing which really shouldn't work on paper but in actuality are utterly perfect.

Charlie has no filter, he's hilarious but his outward confidence is hiding a young man who still feels abandoned by his movie producer dad even though they have a good relationship. Kyle is laidback, a skater dude who exudes cool vibes but is hiding his own set of secret hurts.

Together they spar
Fabi
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Opposites attract!

Fabulous Charlie is one of a kind. Not only out and proud, but out and proud and loud. His thoughts (and his mouth) go a mile a minute. He's emotional yet very smart. Few things (or people) can stand in his way. Managing the band Zero is a dream come true for him. He'll be able to branch out on his own without depending on his Dad's influence. He is determined to make it work. He doesn't need a sexy, bass playing, skater boy distracting him from his goals. Thank goodness that
Renée
Oct 19, 2019 added it
Shelves: mm-romance, dnf
DNF at 10%. I don't like Charlie. Not even a little.
Waleska 'Wally'
He said I was his rhythm. And if that was the case, he was my harmony

Starting from Scratch by Lane Hayes is a hilarious , high heat , low angst , amusing Rom-Com story , I didn't want it to end.

Gods, Charlie and Ky , the MC, had me laughing at loud with their snarky , witty banter and all their pranks to each other. Their UST , chemistry and hot AF times are so steamy , that I advice you to have a glass of water , cooling towel or/and a fan nearby. Because HFS , this is one sizzling , smutty and enticing lov
.Lili.

Lane Hayes is one of my all-time favorite authors. There's something about her storytelling that always hits the spot for me- and now that's she writing in dual POVs-

Anyhoo, let's get to Ky and> Charlie.

-Highlights:

-Love their personalities, and their opposite personalities helped ground the other. Soothe the noises in the other's head. One is a force of nature, and the other is laid back and will face things as they come.

-Chemistry was there from the start. You could feel the UST jumping off the page.

-Ov
Mwanamali
I started reading this because I needed some mindless, harmless escapism. However, it delved into levels of family drama worthy of the young and the restless so I put it on hold until today demanded some more mindless, harmless escapism.

While Charlie was a charming cherub and Ky the mysterious sk8er boi, I was left wondering why it was necessary to repeat this in every damn chapter. Charlie was constantly referred to a porcupine. Adorable but prickly. Someone who gave as good as they got. But t
Ky
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-2019
When I read the first book I wasn't sure if I liked Charlie or not. He was pretty chaotic and he talked non-stop about everything and nothing. I thought it would be exhausting to read a whole book with him as a main character. But.... I was so so wrong about him!

Charlie is a sweet person with a huge personality and a heart of gold. He is strong and loyal. It turns out that he only talks a mile a minute when he's nervous or he wants to divert the attention somewhere else. The rest of
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, lgbtq, m-m, indigo
Lane Hayes is one of my absolute favorites, for real. I love getting to read her books and am rarely disappointed by her stories. I smile, I laugh, I sometimes get a little misty eyed and, well, I almost always get hot and bothered if you know what I mean ;o)

This is a perfect example. I freaking loved this book. The more I think about it the more perfect it becomes.

This was such a great addition to this series. We got to meet Charlie in Starting from Zero and I knew his story
Nadine Bookaholic
What's hotter than watching two people fight the chemistry that is between them. I mean really it's like total foreplay for when they finally come together and that is exactly what we have with Charlie and Ky. These two men are so different from one another, yet they are a lot alike when it comes to relationships and their fears and this has to do with the way they were both raised.

Charlie is out and loud and proud and a whirlwind of energy always on the go, always needing to do something. Where Ky is more la
Sheri
Nov 03, 2019 added it
Shelves: review-to-come
I've decided to hit the pause button...
and wait to gather my thoughts on this one until after I've had the chance to go back and read the first book...then revisit this one.
At this point, I think my feelings might change once I fill in some of the missing (emotional) gaps.
I think it will be a much more enjoyable read once I have the foundation I think is missing.

**review to come at a later date.....**
~nikki the recovering book addict
4 Charlie stars!

I love Charlie! He cracks me up so hard 🤣 it’s been awhile since I’ve read a book about bands and Hollywood/entertainment industry. It’s not a new storyline, definitely something that’s been done over and over again. But! The execution was awesome. Especially the characters. Charlie definitely made up for a lot of this book.

I still don’t have the inclination to read book one but I’ll definitely keep a look out for the next book though 😬
haletostilinski
3.5 stars!

I gotta say, I didn't love this as much as I was hoping to. While I liked Ky and Charlie individually - although for me Charlie took some warming up to - and together they had their moments and they had chemistry pop out here and there, I found the story and their relationship somewhat lacking.

Now don't get me wrong, I liked this enough to round up instead of down, and there were certainly enjoyable parts throughout this, but I was just missing a little too much to give
Joyfully Jay
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

Starting from Scratch is the second book in Lane Hayes’ Starting From series that focuses on various members of an indie band called Zero. Picking up pretty much where the first novel left off, we get to know Ky, the bassist for the band, and their new manager, Charlie. I have to tell you that I loved Charlie from the start. His straightforward approach to just about everything was refreshing and often humorous. But it was the dynamic between him and Ky that made t
ConM
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-romance, ku, 2019
Good. Consistent with what to expect from Lane Hayes.
Emily Seelye
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, m-m, musicians
It’s been a while since I’ve had a book pull me in to the point I finished in a day.

I loved this.
Sebastian
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, lgbt, romance, arc, m-m, so-good
This book was provided by the author via IndiGo Marketing & Design in exchange for an honest review

Rating: 4,5

Leave it to Lane Hayes to get me out of my reading slump.
Starting from Scratch is the second book in the >Starting From series. While it technically can be read as an standalone, I recomend reading Starting From Zero first as the story of the band progresses through both books.

I absolutely loved Starting from Scratch, even more than the first one (and I loved it). Charlie was the breakout/>Starting
Sue~Always Reading~
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first thing I noticed about this book was that cover. It is gorgeous! This book is the second in the Starting From series and it is about Ky, a skateboarder who is the bassist in the band Zero, and Charlie who is the bands manager. The guys are both attracted to each other even though Charlie thinks Ky isn’t meant to stay in the band. There’s an almost enemies to lovers vibe but if quickly falls into so much more.

I really loved the banter between Ky & Charlie. They loved to a
Karen
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I start this review...let's just take a minute...

to admire the view (and by view I mean cover)...ok, now let's move on...

"Starting From Scratch" is the next installment in the series 'Starting From' by Lane Hayes and for me the second book was a bit more enjoyable than the first one. I'm not saying that the first one was bad, just that for me this one was a little bit better.

We met both Charlie Rourke and Ky Baldwin in "Starting From Zero". Charlie became the manager for
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie

5++ Stars

I couldn’t wait to get to Charlie’s story and I definitely wasn’t disappointed. I absolutely adored both Charlie and Ky, and together they were a perfect fit. The chemistry between them was undeniable and they were smoking hot together.

I loved the easiness of their relationship. I was a bit wary in the beginning that this story would end up being an angst-fest, and while there was some angst and I was brought to tears at one point, for the most part this was just a sweet and sexy read
Ruthie Taylor
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is the second book in the series, and much as I loved the first one, I enjoyed this even more! I would definitely suggest that you read them in order, as the underlying story of the band is ongoing - and anyway why on earth would you miss all the goodness and the world building?

We met Charlie as the hyperactive, loveable son of Gray, Justin's boyfriend. He is a massive chatterbox and his brain just travels a million mile
R
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, m-m, series
Charlie was absolutely certain that he could take the band Zero into the big time. Not really sure how he just knows he can...if..he can get rid of Ky, the band’s bassist. Put aside the shared kisses and the fact that Ky was effin’ sexy, he just wasn’t going to work for Charlie.

Until he did. The more they fought it the closer they got. Former friends and unwanted family drama tried to pull them apart. But Charlie and Ky decided they needed each other too much.

I loved Char
Anna Torres
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Opposites attract?

As Zero’s, an LA-based Indie(?) band, Manager/Promo Director, Charlie is determined to launch them in a big way. He knows that the band has the talent to make it big.

As Zero’s Bassist, Ky is talented, smart and driven. Although when you look at him, you wouldn’t think so, but looks can be totally deceiving! But just like everybody else, he has baggage from his past. And he is trying to deal with it in his own way.

I love that these two characters are going into things with th
Emma
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ky and Charlie. I've been waiting for Charlie's story, he's so fabulous and has a demanding presence. Ky is his opposite, skater/surfer cool dude, doesn't seem to care about much, I would call it opposites attract. Also frenemies to lovers. The chemistry was great, the sex urgent & passionate and the story was perfect. There were appearances from previous characters and I think you would be best to read Starting from Zero first, I think you would need a bit of back story on the band.
Karen Jones
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. I loved Charlie in the first book so was intrigued about where his story would go. In Starting From Scratch, Charlie and Ky have this love, hate thing going on which soon turns into something more. I love the dynamics between them and they’re actually quite perfect for each other. I’m really loving this series and can’t wait for more. I wonder whos next....?
DepictonFiction
Ky is so super cool. Especially with Oliver. I loved his attitude. Taking things one day at a time. Charlie is a handful but that a big part of his charm. Because they take things day by day and they obviously meant to be, I found it a bit lulling towards the end. Putting some sex scenes in just as page filling doesn’t work for me. That’s the only reason why I’m not giving it 5 stars.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Game On (Fever Falls #5)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity #1)
  • Reindeer Games (Ace's Wild, #6)
  • All for Wesley (Pineapple Grove #2)
  • Rocket Science
  • Reunion (Ace's Wild #7)
  • Resonance (Rhythm of Love #2)
  • Science & Jockstraps (Ace's Wild, #1)
  • Tallowwood
  • Rushing In (Ace's Wild, #3)
  • Bailey (Confessions, #6)
  • Flash Rip
  • Hat Trick (Fake Boyfriend #5)
  • Second Song (Sugarhouse Blues, #1)
  • Nuts (Ace's Wild, #2)
  • Claiming Marcus (Lords of Discord, #1)
  • Ground Zero (Zero Hour #1)
  • Running from My Heart (Rock Bottom #3)
Lane Hayes is grateful to finally be doing what she loves best. Writing full-time! It’s no secret Lane loves a good romance novel. An avid reader from an early age, she has always been drawn to well-told love story with beautifully written characters. These days she prefers the leading roles to both be men. Lane discovered the M/M genre a few years ago and was instantly hooked. Her debut novel was ...more

Starting From (2 books)
  • Starting from Zero (Starting From #1)