Start by marking “Rosie: Stronger than Steel” as Want to Read:
Rosie: Stronger than Steel

Rosie: Stronger than Steel

A brave tractor farms for freedom in a story inspired by women who acted with courage and strength in American factories and on British farms during World War II.

This is our Rosie,
stronger than steel.
Shell plow all the land
with a turn of her wheel.

Built by women in the United States and sent to England to dig and plow alongside female farmers during World War II, Rosie
Published April 1st 2020 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about Rosie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rosie

Start your review of Rosie: Stronger than Steel
Emma
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous little book about the Land girls of Britain using tractors made from American scrap metal. Great discussion starter when working with young children about WWII.
Somia
This book is about Rosie the tractor who is painted green. This children's book is a tribute to working women both in America and the UK during World War II.

I like how the author used Rosie the tractor to tell the story in a way that will appeal to young children. However I do feel the story could have had more oomph. I don't see my younger cousins wanting to read this more than once, although I do think it will have them curious to learn more about the land girls and WW2.

Freebie on Amazon.
Latanya (Crafty Scribbles)
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good retrospective on the roles women played during WWII through the eyes of a busy tractor named "Rosie" (Rosie the Riveter, get it?). Well worth a read for children of all ages no matter the gender.
Juliana
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great historical fiction book about how strong and important women were in WW2. They played a vital role and this skims the surface on what they did, showing the story through the eyes of a tractor. There's a great historical blurb by the author at the end to explain the book as well.
Rose English
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An inspirational read for children

I loved this bright beautiful children's picture book.Giving children an insight into the building of farm machinery and how vital they were to help troops and people survive during wartime.

The comprehensive author notes at the back makes this a book to appeal to all ages.I love Rosie.
Amy
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I got the Kindle version of this through Amazon First Reads program. It's a very cute historical fiction about World War II and the contributions made by women in the US and Britain.
Alex  Baugh
When a country goes to war, it mobilizes all its resources to help win that war. That was certainly true during World War II when men enlisted, children collected paper and cans, people donated whatever metal objects they could, and, women found themselves working in factories and fields, doing jobs traditionally held by men, all to help with the war effort.

The important work of women, those in the factories, collectively and iconically known as Rosie the Riveter and those working in the fields,
Laura Mossa
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of picture books and typically most of the historical fiction is written for upper elementary students. In Rosie; Stronger Than Steel, Lindsay Ward makes historical fiction accessible to kids of all ages. The main character, Rosie, is a tractor built by female factory workers during World War II. On the very first page spread, children learn how Rosie was built with scrape metal donations. I love the line I rose from the ground paying homage to the women who made her as well as her ...more
kathy
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting historical read for children

This book is about Rosie the tractor who is painted green. I like how this story is based on facts from World War II.

The author has at the end of the book some information about World War II, women working in factories and the need for farming supplies to support the war effort.

This is a wonderful tribute to working women both in America and the United Kingdom during World War II.

I like how the author used Rosie the tractor to tell the story in a
Audra
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Made of scrap metal during World War II, Rosie is a one of a kind tractor. She was both made and later operated by women, the
Rosie the Riveters who stepped up and pitched when many of the men were sent to war. They and Rosie, who are both stronger than steel put in months and years of hard work before celebrating the end of the war. The book concludes with an author's note and historical details about the women who inspired this story.

I loved both the story in and behind this book. The artwork,
MeganRuth - Alohamora Open a Book
"This is our Rosie, stronger than steel.
She'll plow all the land with a turn of her wheel.
Harvest the fields. Take care of your farm.
Do this, dear Rosie, and keep out of harm.
...
I'll plow and I'll dig. I'll dig and I'll plow.
No matter the job, this is my vow."

The historical fiction picture book story is better geared towards upper elementary students. The story about Rosie the Tractor brings together Rosie the Riveter and the work women in the UK and the USA did building the tractors and
Elizabeth
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, own-digital
This book is serious cuteness overload!!!! World War II sent thousands of women into the workforce for the first time including "Rosie the Riveters" who worked in factories assembling machines like tanks, plane, and tractors and "Land Girls" who kept thousand of farms going to keep the US and much of free Europe fed and clothed during the war. This book takes you on a trip through the eyes of a 1940's tractor built by women and used by women who kept the home fires burning while the world was in ...more
Beth Koenig
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great picture book story, with a wonderful explanation of the history that inspired the author!

I love this story about a tractor in World War II. It is told in such a way that the whole family can read it. The older children can learn about a lot of history and the younger children learn about things as their maturity level allows. It reminded me a little about the Little Engine that Could, that was read to me as a child. There are so many lessons we can get from this book. I highly
elizrdbthspeaks
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
must read, look at that cover. i love it!! i think every time i have to review ... i forget how it is named "Kindle First" i think it is? every month u get to read a book before every1 else ... if you belong to Amazon Prime ... so i had not gotten one and last night ... it was there in my Offer button on the kindle Fire ... so i grabbed this amazing awesome read ... genius fun!! "For all the Rosies. - L.W." love that ... i think women can do whatever they wanna do in their lives ... u may think ...more
Erin Buhr
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-books
Told from the perspective of a tractor made during World War II, this tells the story of women building and farming in the US and Europe to support the war efforts. I knew little about this vital role women played during the war before reading this book. It is engaging, beautiful but also highly informative. It reads like fiction but conveys significant history. This is the kind of book that defies expectations and questions your assumptions. A delightful read.
Will Stotts-Jr
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received this book free from Amazon First Reads.

This delightful story is told in verse and follows the journey of a World War II era tractor named Rosie. Made in America by an all-female "Rosie-the-riveter" team, Rosie is sent to England where she helps the Land Girls farm for the war effort.

This is the first book I've seen that links those two female war efforts. Because of that. it is uniquely instructive for young readers and their parents. Well done!
Tammy
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unique story shared

The story framed in this book was in some ways new to me. I had known of the workforce inclusion of women in factories during WW II . I didn't know the further information related to working on farms and the cooperation between the U.S. and England. The illustrations were well done along with the semi rhyming diction. Kids will definitely enjoy the story as did I.
K.A. Cummins
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Brought to life with beautiful illustrations, Rosie is a light-hearted and inspiring tale about a tractor built during WWII. Its a great way to introduce kids to one of the vital ways women contributed to the war effort during that time. The author offers additional insights, historical photos, and educational talking points in the note after the story. Rosie would be a great addition to any classroom or homeschool curriculum. ...more
Lori
Mar 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Rosie, the tractor, apparently was manufactured in a factory by Rosie the Riveter and went to live in a field worked by the Women's Land Army. I don't really like the juxtaposition of all these historical elements. While it's a cute children's book, it doesn't quite work if one wants a book with historical accuracy. This was offered in Kindle format as a benefit of Amazon Prime in March 2020. No review was required.
Allison Clark
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ive rarely thought about the machinery needed for past wars. This story is of Rosie the green tractor. She was built by US women and sent to England to assist in farming. Rosie is very dedicated to her field and works long days. I really loved that Rosie was represented as having thoughts and feelings. Nice educational story for kids. ...more
francine aurello
Great book for children of anyone who likes to read to them.

This is a great way to teach children about the contributions that women made to the war effort. It illustrates a time when women started to do work that was not usually done by women, and how well they were able to do it.
Mary
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story!

I loved how they sang on every page, I plow and I plow! It is a great way for the children of today to find out how the ladies helped at home. While the men were over seas fighting and winning the war!

Without the ladies at home doing whatever it took to help the fighting men, we would not have won the war!

Great story for young children!
Lorraine
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosie

I choose this book as aunt Grace was in the land army , well researched and written in such a way that my grandchildren can understand . The illustrations do the book justice any child who loves tractors would love this book . The text is clear easy to follow the history is presented in such a way for future generations , so the land army firewall never be forgotten.
Felicia Cheng
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal

This is a very powerful book. The fact that it is a children's book is amazing. The author took a major historical event and made it understandable to younger kids. The fact that it portrays the hand women hand during a male only dominated era, shows readers how far women have come and how far we can still go with hard work, passion and determination!
LaRee Sutherland
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Teach Children about Rosie the Riveter

The book is listed for ages 4 - 8. I agree with this range. The pictures work well with story. A good education about an era many of our children of do not have much teaching.
Patricia May
Great Story

I teach 5th grade. While the story itself is a simple one, I believe it will generate wonderful conversation. The information included at the end of the story is a great background for American history and progress.
Mary Ann
This is amazing story told as fiction fr the younger reader and as non-fiction in the author's note. there are so many teaching opportunities with this small and powerful book. There might even be facts you might not have known. A timely book with the recent passing of the 'in the flesh' Rosie.
Toni
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
WW2

As a neice of a woman who was in the Woman's Land Army, this book has a very special meaning. Britain did not starve thanks to these women. Rosie was a perfect vehicle to portray this piece of the war
Selah Pike
Beautiful illustrations and an interesting story (once I read the historical notes in the back), but the text was painful. It looks like its written in verse, but it doesnt rhyme (except when it does). Free verse doesnt work well in a picture book. ...more
Tara
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome story! Go Rosie. I will share this with my children. This is a story to handle down to all generations.

Great story to read to people and children of all ages. Rosie is a true inspiration for everyone. Great read.

• World So Wide
  • Bird Hugs
  • The Hat
  • I Like Me And I Love Me: A self-love and like book of affirmations for children
  • 赤毛のアン (10歳までに読みたい世界名作, #1)
  • Naughty Ninja Takes a Bath
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
  • Fort Selden
  • The Very Last Leaf
  • Cantrell's Bride (Rocky Mountain Romance, #1)
  • Simple Ways to be More with less
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • Alan Turing
  • Mistletoe and Deadly Kisses (Fern Grove Cozy Mystery Book 4)
  • The Story of Ruth Bader Ginsburg: A Biography Book for New Readers
  • Clive Barker's Hellraiser Vol. 1
  • Bob Dylan
  • Hellraiser Vol. 2
Lindsay Ward has a BFA in Illustration from Syracuse University. Her most recent books include Its Show and Tell, Dexter! and Dont Forget Dexter!, books 1 and 2 in the Dexter T. Rexter Series with Two Lions. She is also the author and illustrator of Brobarians (Two Lions, 2017), The Importance of Being 3 (Dial 2016), Rosco vs. the Baby (S&S, 2016), Henry Finds His Word (Dial, 2015), a Choose ...more