Start by marking “The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen: A page-turning story of adventure, friendship and family (Austen Adventures, #2)” as Want to Read:

(Austen Adventures #2)

Rose Wallace thought her time-travelling adventures were over. Jane Austen is about to prove her wrong.

After becoming trapped in present-day Bath due to a mishap with her time-travelling charm, Jane Austen is safe and sound back in the 1800s thanks to Rose’s help. Now, Rose is ready to focus on her fledgling romance with dreamy Dr Aiden Trevellyan.

But when Jane reappears

Published November 7th 2019 by Canelo Escape

To ask other readers questions about The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen

Start your review of The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen: A page-turning story of adventure, friendship and family (Austen Adventures, #2)
Sophia
After adoring The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen and getting that tantalizing teaser there at the end while needing to get more time with Rose and Aidan, I was primed and ready when this sequel arrived. Another engaging installment in the Austen Adventures series.

The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen is a follow up sequel and works best when read in order.

Rose and Aidan have just come to a tentative understanding to start seeing each other when who should appear back in Rose's day, but
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was wonderful to revisit this series. I love Jane Austen and read the first book so this was a no-brainer for me. I was completely absorbed in this tale from the first page. The characters are so well developed, I honestly feel like I could be best friends with all the women in this book...especially Jane and Cass Austen.

This book shows us what is really important in life such as love, family and friendships. The story flows effortlessly and moves along at a comfortable pace. I loved the
Carole (in Canada)
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Austenesque, Time Travel

Another wonderful collaboration between Ms. Bright and Ms. Grafton in the adventures of a time traveling Jane Austen! I was completely charmed by this second novel and don't tell anyone, but I think they have outdone themselves with this one! I loved it! I strongly recommend that you read the first book, 'The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen', as 'The Unexpected Past' picks up immediately after it.

"I'm in. I've only just found you Rose. I've no intention of letting go of you so soon."
Anna
Jan 13, 2020 added it
Shelves: austenesque
In The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen, book 2 in the Austen Adventures series, Ada Bright and Cass Grafton pick up right where they left off in the first book, The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen. Rose Wallace has just helped Jane Austen make it back to the Regency era with the help of a time-traveling charm and realized her crush, the archeologist Dr. Aiden Trevellyan, feels the same way about her when Jane returns to the present and insists that they travel with her back to Chawton ...more
Mystica
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This combined the best of several genres - history, English literature, time travel, modern romance. The combo worked very well, each one complementing each other, not jarring and not out of place despite the huge differences in time, and naturally everything was different from food to drink to dress to attitudes.

Rose and Aiden are transported back in time along with Jane Austen who was living in modern times to her (JA) own time. Going back 300 years so they are aware all of them of the future
Georgiana 1792
Quando ho letto The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen sapevo che presto sarebbe uscito il sequel, The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen, ma non avrei mai immaginato che le autrici si inventassero un viaggio nel tempo al contrario; un viaggio in cui era Rose ad approdare nell'epoca di Jane Austen, e non viceversa.
Invece, trasferendosi nel 1814, e quindi a Chawton e con tre romanzi pubblicati, le nostre autrici hanno escogitato un motivo davvero peculiare per cui Jane Austen dovesse tornare
Mrs. Bridget Wiltshire
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kristin Davison
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I would like to thank netgalley and Canelo for a free copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

This is the second book in the Austen Adventures series. I loved the first book and this book has lived up to the first one.

Rose, Aiden and Jane are back! This time Jane is convinced that someone connected to Rose is living next door to her, and that Rose and Aiden must travel back to 1813 to solve the problem.

I enjoyed meeting Jane's family and all of the period details.
Sophia-Elizabeth
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From meeting Miss Austen again, the adventures start with a drive to Hampshire, to Chawton Cottage to be precise, and a new time adventure begins anew. Jane Austen there upon transports both Aiden and Rose to Chawton 1813, where Miss Austen finally tells why Rose is there, along with Aiden.

An unexpected secret is revealed of Rose’s past and possibly even her future. Certain events take places, which had me on the very edge of my sofa half the time, wondering what the heck Cass and Ada was up to
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another marvelous, terrific book where Rose and Aiden are surprised by the dear Jane Austen, seeking them for help.

I loved how it had so great twist and turns & all the well-known characters, as well as the newly added ones are a delight and it was the utmost fun to get to know them. <3

The book ends on a very well pleasing note but has a hint that there might be another book - I'm curious and almost sitting on the edge if we can hope for more adventures of Rose, Aiden and Jane Austen...
Scarlett
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Canelo for an ARC of this book! Release date - November 7, 2019

I really like the writing style and characters and general storyline of both this book and The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen. It's really cute and clever, and both books were quick, easy reads. I liked the first one more because I felt like it had more of a plot though. I think this one started off with a good idea, there was just less places for it to go than the first one. The "mystery" of Jane's
Anna Szabó
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A huge Thank to Canelo for inviting me to read and review The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen. When I saw the invitation I was squealing with excitement and I started reading immediately,

The stiry picks up where Particulas Charm of Miss Jane Austen left off. Rose is happy with Dr. Aiden Trevellyan and Jane is safely back home in the 1800s. Rose thinks her life is back to normal, no more Jane-related adventures for her. How wrong she is! But this time Rose does the travelling. Jane asks her
Vivienne
My thanks to Canelo Escape for the invitation to receive an advance copy via NetGalley of ‘The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen’ by Cass Grafton & Ada Bright in exchange for an honest review.

This is the sequel to their delightful time travel romp, ‘The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen’ published earlier this year that ended on a cliffhanger that is continued here.

I won’t discuss the plot details in order to avoid spoilers. However, I would advise that it is best to read the novels in
Vee Stojcevski
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly Captivating!

A wonderful continuation of the novel “The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen”. Cass and Ada have delivered another entertaining novel sharing their love of Jane Austen,the era and their friendship.
In the story Jane Austen is feisty and I love it! Rose is understandably confused about the necessity to travel back in time. The true reason is soon revealed and what a wonder that Rose should find her beloved Father in Jane Austen’s time. The story told is captivating and the
Roberta
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen, so when I was invited to read and review an ARC of this sequel, I jumped on the chance. I was not disappointed!

This book has all the charm of the first one, only this time around, some of the characters travel to the past at Jane Austen’s request. I enjoyed seeing the Austen family brought to life, and it was particularly interesting for me as I lived in Alton (very close to Chawton) for most of my life. The various people were all
Diana
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having read The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen and loved it, I was really looking forward to this new book, The Unexpected Past of Miss Jane Austen, and to reading it.

I received an ARC (advance reader copy) and would like to let other readers know how I perceived it.

For me it was super easy to get friendly with all the characters again, and particularly agreeable to meet new characters, especially those whom I have been almost acquainted with for such a long time.

This time travel novel
Emily M
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: time-travel
As a die-hard Janeite, I enjoyed the first book in this series for what it was. Jane was a bit flat, but the story was really about Rose reexamining her life and seeing what a difference Austen had made to her, so I didn't mind.

This book, however, tried to send the heroine back to the past, and while the Chawton setting felt meticulously researched, neither the language nor the behavior of the Austens or their modern guests felt accurate. Although we saw Jane in her own turf, she stayed pretty
Kim
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another cute time travelling Jane Austen adventure. The story in this one seemed a bit forced but it was nice to have Rose and her friends back in the past for some time, vs Jane visiting current day.

One thing that bothers me about these books is the unnatural latch that Rose and Morgan have. While Rose is in the past all she can think about is getting word to Morgan, it's almost obsessive at times. Then while the girls are separated they are constantly writing pretty worthless letters misusing
Carol lowkey.bookish
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
This book was an entertaining and funny as the first book, The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen. It picks up the story of Jane, Rose, and Aiden as they time travel back to the 1800’s and stay in Jane’s hometown. It was full of historical tidbits about the properties surrounding Jane’s home in Chawton village. It made me want to pay it a visit!

There is also a mystery surrounding one of Jane’s neighbors. It gets solved quickly, but I enjoyed that story line and how it played out in the book
Annarella
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read the first book in this series and loved it as much as I loved this one.
The mix of historical fiction, romance and time travel works perfectly and this novel is entertaining and unputdownable.
It was great to travel back in time and it was great to meet again the well thought cast of characters, both old and new.
The book is well researched and well written and the descriptions of the past age are interesting and vivid.
It's an excellent read, I look forward to reading other books by this
Gail Atkins
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the second book about the adventures of Jane and Rose. We travel between 1813 and the present day.
Rose, Aidan find themselves well and truly in the Austen circle of friends. Jane has brought Rose back to meet a neighbour of hers. How will Rose feel about meeting this stranger?
Whilst I loved reading about the Austen family, their surroundings etc I did feel this book dragged on in certain places and it didn't grab me as much as the previous book.
A light easy read.
Debra Schoenberger
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fun sequel to The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen! Written as a continuation of the first book, this is not a stand alone novel.

Perchance there a third book in the series?
Rebecca L.
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun time slip adventure! This sequel does not disappoint. I was a big fan of the first book in the series, and this sequel was even better. The authors do a fabulous job of capturing the character of Jane Austen. I can really imagine what it would be like to slip back in time and be her friend.

I was very much wrapped up in the world building. The authors bring the world to life what and help
the reader to imagine what it would be like to slip back in time to the regency period. I learned a few
Madalyn

• The Missing Letters of Mrs Bright
  • The Secret Messenger
  • The Journey Home To Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • From Pemberley to Paradise: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • A Christmas Wish and a Cranberry Kiss at the Cosy Kettle (Cosy Kettle, #3)
  • There's Something About Darcy
  • Speechless
  • A View Across the Rooftops
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • Mr. Darcy's Bet
  • Coached to Death (The Life Coach Mysteries #1)
  • Penny for Your Secrets (Verity Kent, #3)
  • A Pretty Folly (Inspector James Given Investigations Book 2)
  • The First Lady and the Rebel
  • Stocking Stuffers (So Over The Holidays, #1)
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • This Won't End Well

Austen Adventures (2 books)
  • The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen