Start by marking “Smoke in the Sun (Flame in the Mist, #2)” as Want to Read:
Smoke in the Sun (Flame in the Mist, #2)

Smoke in the Sun

(Flame in the Mist #2)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  8,819 ratings  ·  1,377 reviews
The highly anticipated sequel to New York Times bestselling Flame in the Mist--an addictive, sumptuous finale that will leave readers breathless from the bestselling author of The Wrath and the Dawn.

After Okami is captured in the Jukai forest, Mariko has no choice--to rescue him, she must return to Inako and face the dangers that have been waiting for her in the Heian
Published June 5th 2018 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

·  8,819 ratings  ·  1,377 reviews

Start your review of Smoke in the Sun (Flame in the Mist, #2)
Emily May
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2018, arc, young-adult
It was a night for magic. A night swirling with mystery, an unknowable energy pulsing in its depths.

Okay, I'm going to be honest about something: I remember enjoying the arc I read of Flame in the Mist last year but, before reading this book, I couldn't remember anything that happened. In fact, I wasn't sure I was going to continue with the duology. When I was lucky enough to get an arc of this sequel, I figured I'd just give it a shot.

And it all came flooding back to me in a stream of drama, acti/>And
Lola
Who invented duologies?

No, but really, since when is it okay for a series with such unique content and loveable characters to end so soon?

Yes, I am in mourning. I should be celebrating, because that ending is priceless, the author wrapped things up very nicely, but instead I am suffering from Flame in the Mist withdrawal. Just when you start caring for the protagonists so much… they are stolen away from you.

Hatred for duologies aside, I have to admit I admire Renée Ahdieh for knowing w
Warda
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“She would not turn back on what defined her…”

It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t the best it could’ve been for me. I felt like it almost lulled into a false sense of security, because the beginning was that good.

Firstly, this book had quite a few typos. Editors, what the hell?!
Secondly, it started off great. I was so excited to be back in this world again as I loved Flame in the Mist.

At the beginning of the story, we were re-introduced to the characters again (and others), their stru
destini mia
Jun 18, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
that feeling when you finished book 1 and realize book 2 probably won't be out for another year at least and that you've played yourself

why would i do myself like this
jessica
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
renee ahdieh is the queen of duologies. she has mastered the art of giving just enough of the story to satisfy the reader - not too much, and not too little; just the right amount.

it felt like this was the yin to the ‘flame in the mist’ yang. where the first book was very fast paced and daring, this was more calm and calculating. so neat how one whole story can come together with two completely different halves.

and whilst i am more than satisfied with the conclusion of this story, i cant help
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
THE REVIEW IS POSTED

Flame in the Mist : ★★★★ my review
Smoke in the Sun : ★★★

3,7 STARS

"I would rather die for
love than stand by and watch my love perish."

My Opinion Time!

To be honest, I still can't believe that I have finished reading this book because I remember reading the first book months ago and I loved it and after I finished reading the first book, I felt like there was something missing inside of me and the sequel would fill this missing piece in me. So I was really excited and happy when this book arrived at my hous
April
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do wish this series was a trilogy though.
Elena May
“Respect is not a thing granted. It is a thing earned.”

A fitting conclusion to the duology. Mariko is no longer in the woods, dressed as a boy and playing outlaw. It’s time for her to learn diplomacy and how to survive at court. The world becomes bigger, and we get glimpses into more characters and the magic system—something I sorely missed in the first book.

My biggest problem with the first book was that the characters’ morality was too simplistic, either pure good or cartoonishly evil. This is somewhat r
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I love this cover, and I love the fact that it's got this gorgeous woman of color on it, and I love that Renee herself had a hand in ensuring that the color scheme still complimented the US hardback of the first book just so people wouldn't feel like their covers mismatched. <3 Precious.
Alyssa
Update (October 2017): I'm pretty sure this book's publication date is now June 5, 2018 (not May 1st) and now I'm sad. 😭😭😭😭 Need need need need neeeeeeedddddd.

Update (August 2017): THE TITLE IS SMOKE IN THE SUN OMG!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Update (April 2017): I'VE READ THE FIRST BOOK AND YUP THAT ENDING THAT BOOK THAT ROMANCE THAT OKAMI I NEED EVERYTHING TO BE OKAYYYYYYYYYYYY. *grabby hands*

August 2016:

HAVEN'T EVEN READ THE FIRST BOOK BUT WANT THIS SO BADLY!!!!!!!

August 2016:

HAVEN'T EVEN READ THE FIRST BOOK BUT WANT THIS SO BADLY!!!!!!!

Sara
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A wonderful conclusion to a duology that’s built upon its predecessor to create a magical world with colourful characters set against the backdrop of Feudal Japan. The story follows almost immediately after the conclusion of Flame in the Mist, with little time to catch your breath before the action begins. We find Mariko being transported to the Emperors palace to meet her future husband, the emperor’s eldest illegitimate son Raiden. Ok
may ❀
description
me trying to figure out where this book went wrong

basic log of how it went:
first 100 pages: i am confusion
page 101 to 300: i sTaN
page 301 to 380: wait what???!!??
page 381 till the end: how bloody effing convenient

i have nothing else to say besides, where were there so many characters and why did i remember none?

Beth
Thank you to NetGally for providing an arc in exchange for an honest review.

4 Stars!

“She would not turn her back on what defined her, even if others perceived it as a weakness."

I originally didn’t know what to think going into this, I thought Flame in the Mist was okay, and had no idea where the journey would take us, but this was SO good! I have to admit I had hit a bit of a reading slump part way through this for a number of reasons, I wasn’t as engaged as what I would of liked. T/>“She
Beatrice in Bookland
"This was what it meant to be truly free. To be herself and no one else.
To be loved as she was."

1) Flame in the mist ★★★★★

4.5

Why didn't I five Smoke in the sun five full stars?
Well, there's only one thing Renee Ahdieh needs to work on: how to write endings. Seriously, she has written two amazing duologues but both of them had incredibly rushed endings. Plus, the epilogues are always too short. For example, here we don't know what happened to Yumi or Kenshin, two very important characte/>Why/>
Suzanne
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was more political than Flame in the Mist. However, like Flame in the Mist it had some really awesome moments throughout the book. I really enjoyed this duology more than I thought I would when Flame in the Mist first came out. In my opinion, the characters had a lot more depth and detail to them than in the first book. I did have a couple moments when it was a bit blah for me but there were way more awesome moments that make those blah moments worth it. Those last few chapters were com ...more
Manisha
Actual review: 4.5

““Everything in life began with an idea.”

What an idea this book was. Smoke in the Sun is the second and final book in the Flame in the Mist duology, a tale inspired by the story of Mulan.

I found this book to be an entertaining, somewhat complex, and a feminist portrayal of character study that surpassed my expectations. I can’t help but state the one compliment that is hard to bestow onto YA books in general:

I did not see this coming.The story surprised me. The characters, their motivations and their actions surprised me. And4.5
““Everything
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 3.75/5 stars.

Smoke in the Sun is the second book in the Flame in the Mist duology. This final instalment continues to follow Mariko, fiercely independent in a world that expects its females to be anything but. This fantasy, inspired by Feudal Japan, focuses on both the shifting allegiances and political intrigue of the Emperor's court, as well as the wider tribulations, troubling the kingdom.

Before beginning this book I only had the vaguest recollection of t
It took a bit of time to remember the plot and characters from the first book. It's not usually this difficult especially when I remember loving the prior novel, but that's how it was here. In my notes, I found myself writing refreshers of who everyone was. However, once I got back into the plot and remembered all the details, I was excited to be thrown back into this beautifully written feudal Japanese setting.

While book one saw Mariko go undercover in the disguise of a boy in an at
♠️ TABI ♠️
description

Update: 8/12/17

*screeches like an excited pterodactyl*

HOUSTON, WE HAVE A TITLE AND A BLURB!!!!

Update: 1/13/18

Ok so I hope this is just a temp cover because, yeah I guess it's kinda pretty, but guys I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THIS send help.

Angelica
Real Rating: 2.75

Last year I read the first book in this duology, Flame in the Mist. I liked it. It was alright. I gave it three stars. I also had so many questions in terms of worldbuilding and the magic system. I also had some problems with the oh, so intelligent main character, Mariko. Still, I was interested enough to read this book and see how it all ended.

Now, I must say, I'm only slightly more a fan of Mariko, and I still have so many questions about worldbuilding and the
Noha Badawi
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t expect the sequel to be this good but it was and i really, really enjoyed it.
full review
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Family, loyalty, attraction, betrayal, power.

THIS is how you write a second book. It was wonderful and I enjoyed it so much more than the first.

As I started this book I was like "help, what happened in the first one?" and I searched for recaps. Because you have to have read the first book to read this one, it picks back up only days after the first and there is very little reflection on what happened previously.

I really feel that Mariko grew and changed so muc
Lu
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Please tell me this is just the UK cover and they will come out with another to match US/hardback-Flame in the Mist please
Please tell me this is not a cover change
Please it's 2o18 dammit,
I thought we were freaking done with cover changing

Please?
Alaina
So glad Andy told me about this audio! YOU ARE ACA-AWESOME!

Smoke in the Sun was a pretty good sequel to the Flame in the Mist. It continues right where the first book left off. Which if you haven't read that book, Mariko is on her way to the Emperor's Palace. Once there she will meet her future husband and find out some interesting information along the way.

Mariko is just an easy to like kind of character. I just felt so bad for her though because once she realized that Okami was captured, she gave hersel/>Smoke
Sophie Elaina
This was a glorious part two to a wonderful duology!

The characters were by far my favourite aspect of this book. The protagonist Mariko is clever and strong willed, making for a powerful character to read about.
So often 'strong women' in literature are portrayed quite literally with actual strong physical skill and strength and that's great but you can be strong in other ways than physically! I can't relate as much to that as to a character that is strong mentally or intellectu
Sepani
The world building was great where I felt that I was consumed by the authors writing skills.

The book is really good except the fact that I got confused with the names….
*❆ Kαɾҽɳ ❆*
12/07/18 Full Review
Okay, I've had a few days to think about this book.
I'll say i liked it, but didn't completely love it either
I believe this a solid 3.5 rating, I do believe it was well executed, in terms of the plot and action, but it still had a few faults

I will have some spoilers from the first book and in this book. Spoiler alert for you, last chance

Okay, as we saw in the final moments of the previous novel, the emperor is poisoned by his own wife, since she wanted her son, Roku to si
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
Do you know this one deep quote which tries so hard to be dramatically meaningful but fails miserably. Ends up being pretentious and so full of itself it can't even see the light of day anymore?

(Hello to John Green's books btw!)

This duology start to finish is just like that one dreadful quote.

Meh. I probably shouldn't have expected anything better than book one which I also gave 2 stars to. This one was actually weaker than the first book in terms of the plot. I way disinterested in both the cha
cindy
“Everything in life began with an idea.”

I really wanted to love this book, but I kept putting it aside for indefinite periods of time. Evidently, it took me over three months to complete – though I should attribute half the blame to my reading slump. However, Smoke in the Sun was far from dreadful; in fact, I thought it was a beautiful complement to the first instalment. It just didn’t have that zing to draw me back in each time. The story was pleasant enough while I was reading it, but I wasn’t compelled to think
-S♡
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
★4 Stars! Smoke In The Sun...
“Ingenuity could be a weapon, in all its forms. Her mind could be a sword. Her voice could be an axe. Her fury could ignite a fire.”

description

My favorite quotes from this book:

1. “It had taken her losing everything she knew to finally understand. Feeling pain and sorrow was not at all a sign of weakness.
It was a sign of love.”

2. “As swift as the wind, as silent as the forest, as fierce as the fire, as unshakablove.”
book:
Sun...
“Ingenuity

• The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes, #3)
  • Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox, #1)
  • The Bird and the Blade
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Wildcard (Warcross, #2)
  • Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #1)
  • Sky in the Deep
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • To Kill a Kingdom
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Mirage (Mirage, #1)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • Bright We Burn (The Conqueror's Saga, #3)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Hero at the Fall (Rebel of the Sands, #3)
THE WRATH & THE DAWN and its sequel THE ROSE & THE DAGGER are available wherever books are sold.

FLAME IN THE MIST will be released on 5.16.17.

** Please note that requests for Advanced Reader Copies should be made through Penguin, and all other requests should be submitted through the author's website. **

Flame in the Mist (2 books)
  • Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist, #1)
“Ours is a love stronger than fear and deeper than the sea” 20 likes