Start by marking “The Good Neighbor” as Want to Read:
The Good Neighbor

The Good Neighbor

Sometimes the past just won’t stay buried.

When 14 year old Brittany disappears one night, her parents are devastated, certain she has been taken.

They can’t bear to think about who has done this and what might be happening to their precious girl.

Even worse, the police seem to see them as suspects, implying that they may have had a part in their own daughter’s disappearance

Published September 8th 2019 by Inkubator Books

To ask other readers questions about The Good Neighbor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Neighbor

Nicki
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omg, this is a totally and utterly AMAZING book. It's an intense tale of manipulation,lies,suspicion,deception and secrets that poses the question. Is it always best to do the right thing?

From the moment that her new neighbours,the Cushing's moved in next door,Taylor had a feeling that something about them didn't quite fit. That things in their quiet cul de sac were never going to be the same again. Her suspicions seemed to be proven correct when as time passed,the new family didn't seem interes
Shalini
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Is doing a good thing the same as doing the right thing? Would I do what the good neighbor did? A missing child arc always gets to me and makes me want to pick up the book.

A missing teen Brittany, a devastated mother Moira, a caring neighbor Moira, and a friendly community of the cul-de-sac made them the pillars of the story. The chapters with different POV left me confused initially but gave me a fresh look at the situation from all angles. The author's deft hand gave a different perspective t
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
The Good Neighbor is a thrilling read that will have you gripped right from the beginning till the final page. If you love a story that is full of secrets, mystery, suspense with twists and turns, then this is the book for you.

Cathryn has created a chilling tale that is every parents worst nightmare. There would be nothing worse than going to check on your child in the middle of the night only to find an empty bed and an open window. This is the case for Moira who’s daughter Brittany has disappe
Calai Alvarez
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow! Just Wow!

I am speechless when I finally finished this book. I had to take a full day of complete sleep and distractions from any form of reading before I can finally make this review. I want to completely understand what just happened and confirm with myself how I feel about this book with a clear mind.

In the beginning, I was a bit bored with how the story started and its style of telling the story by using each character's perspective. I had to skip a few narratives about character devel
ReadandRated
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars from me

Wow! To say this book 'packs a punch' is such an understatement - it more 'smacks you around the head with a 9 iron!'

The Good Neighbor starts off softly, albeit with a traumatic and shocking event - 14 year old Brittany has disappeared during the night, seemingly snatched from her bed. I have to confess I was lulled into thinking it would jog along nicely so boy was I taken by surprise!

The pace accelerates and accelerates before plunging you into free fall as more and more of the
J_Mc 251
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
UPDATED: Every once in a while, after I have had time to reflect on a book, I find myself re-evaluating my original review. I did not do this book justice in my initial one. The twists in this book are exceptional and designed to give the reader a serious gut punch. They really were stellar. I have changed my rating from 4 to 5 stars to reflect the additional information. Below is my original reviews.

You will find everything from commentary on social media to accurate descriptions of homeschooli
Book Him Danno
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Good Neighbor has readers asking questions as the read though the book making them wonder what would they do? What should they do? Is it the right things to do?
The author pulls at readers as they are taking on a spellbinding mystery with more secrets and questions that seem to get answered until the end of the book
The author is a gifted writing bring her world to life and having reader needing more from her.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of Cathryn Grant The Good Neighbo
Lel Budge
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
14 year old Brittany disappeared during the night, her parents believe she has been abducted….they’re only thoughts are for her safety, is she being hurt and why was she taken?

Taylor, their neighbour, is their lifeline….in her element, doing everything to help with search parties to find missing Brittany. The neighbourhood all rally round on the hunt for her, but there are secrets from the past that rear their head……is there a link to current events?

I found this to be an engrossing and chilling
Misfits farm
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A young girl goes missing in the middle of the night. Has she been taken from her bed? This is a good neighbourhood so who and why?Taylor is a neighbour who wants to help and takes on the facebook page for missing Brittany. She won’t settle until she feels that everything possible is being done to find this young girl. Brittanys family only moved in a short time ago and so no-one knows them well. When their furniture was being moved in Taylor saw a bed more suited to an eight year old than a pre ...more
Hillary
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
If we completely disregard the fact that no one would ever act the way a single one of these characters did (which I'm surprisingly willing to do), then this was a super-fun, twisty good read.
Rachael Stray
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I devoured this book in just one afternoon - I couldn’t put it down. It’s told from different characters perspectives and there’s some twists and turns you don’t expect.
CrazyCat (Alex)
Who in this story can you trust? Taylor seems to be kind and willing to help. But is she really? And Moira...... I got a really bad feeling about her from the start. When everything comes to light it’s far worse than I thought or could have imagined. I’m not even sure if Brittany is as innocent as one would believe.
Great story. I was hooked from the start and couldn’t stop reading.
I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. Thanks to NetGalley an
The Reads
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow…

And you thought you had problems?

Insanity is only one tragedy away.

This is Cathryn Grant’s first book I have read and holy shit it packs a punch.  This book is the tipping point for me to immediately add a few more of hers to my TBR (I seriously don’t need to be adding more but screw it…I can rest when I’m dead).  I love the way she has weaved a chilling tale that in all honesty is completely believable.  How real it was scared me acutely.  I’m in awe how she used the enormity of a mother’s
Jen McCarthy
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you NetGalley for an advanced copy of The Good Neighbor.

I’m honestly not sure how to review this book... I’ve been thinking about it since I finished reading a few hours ago. This is about teenager Brittany who goes missing from her bed one night and what follows is the search for her by her parents, Moira and Alan, and some helpful (and not so helpful) neighbors. The parents however have secrets and the neighbors have secrets and even Brittany has secrets, a home-schooled child who is bar
Meghan
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was received as an ARC from Inkubator Books in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

From cover to cover I could not find anything I did not love in this book. The plot was so intense and intriguing and there were twists and turns at every page. The mystery and solving the disappearance of 14-year-old Brittany got more jaw-dropping as the story went on and the ending was a shocker which made it even more exciting. Not only w
guy s. clemency
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Absurdly implausible, awkward and just downright silly.

This might be the most amateurish and poorly written book I've ever read. I don't like to leave bad reviews but really, I'd be angry at the waste of my money and my time if I hadn't gotten it through unlimited. But other people are going to spend money on it, so I feel I should warn them. I kept reading until the end mostly out of profound puzzlement that the author actually thought this was ready for publication. It could have been a good i
Jill Burgin
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a different type of missing child thriller. A new family moves into a Californian subdivision and they are almost a stereotypical 1950’s family who keep to themselves and home school their teenage daughter. When the girl goes missing in the middle of the night, the neighbors try to create a sense of community and help the devasted family. One particular neighbor, Taylor, learns more than she expected , and has the choice of telling the police searching for the child or keeping silent out ...more
Regina
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A 3.5 star read rounded up to a 4 due to the fast pace and easy writing style of the book. There were some characters who could have used a lot more development, including our lost girl, Brittany. Others were written in a completely unrealistic way - Taylor could drive anyone to madness with her obsessive behavior and in the end, it felt like her character would have had more challenges and consequences in real life.

But this book is not real life and as usual with a thriller/mystery, there shou
Pam Chantrell
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book opens with the disappearance of a young teen. The slightly weird next door neighbour gets involved and there is a time when I think thought she is the neighbour that the book's title refers to. This frustrated me as she was a bit more of a busybody than good for the family next door, although from her perspective she's trying her best. As the book progresses I realised that Taylor wasn't the only candidate for the title, depending on your perspective.
I enjoyed this book, told from diff
Jen
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When a young girl disappears from her home, everyone is worried. Crime doesn’t often touch the lives of those who live in this picturesque cul-de-sac in the Silicon Valley but fourteen year old Brittney has vanished from her room in the middle of the night and there are no answers about who is responsible. Did someone sneak in during the night or was a neighbor involved. Things are not as they seem in this perfect community.

The Good Neighbor is a must read tale by Caitlyn Grant. The story grabb
Anna Louise
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
This was a very interesting premise, and I will say I was very invested in finding out what had happened and what was going on.

The plot for this book is based around the disappearance of a 14 year old girl called Brittany, supposedly taken from her bed in the middle of the night. Her parents, Moira and Alan, are very quiet and closed off to the rest of the cul-de-sac community where they had recently moved to. We follow several people's point of view, including Brittany before she disappeared, s
Janice Lombardo
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
New neighbors move into a tight community in California. Although the daughter, Brittany, is 14 years old, she is still being treated as if she were 7. Her old bed and other non-teen things still adorn her bedroom, she is home-schooled, not allowed to have friends outside of the home-school group, and only can go online with a parent present. Brittany ends up missing - she is all her mother has in her life. Taylor, a neighbor, sets up a FaceBook page to help find Brittany. The police are facing ...more
Tam
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Intense. Riveting. Emotional. Suspenseful. Addictive. Dark. Complex. This story has one shocking surprise after another. This book brings it ALL! Truly a MUST for your TBR list!

*I received a complimentary ARC of this book from NetGalley & Inkubator Books in order to read and provide a voluntary and honest review, should I choose to do so.

#TheGoodNeighbor #NetGalley
Sarah Busch
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I chose to read The Good Neighbor because it was listed as my favorite kind of book-thriller! And it was absolutely thrilling.

The story follows a group of neighbors after a 13-year old girl who lives in their neighborhood is abducted from her room one night. I liked the plot lines- family secrets coming to life are so exciting! The characters were pretty well developed. And the twists were good, even if I did know they were coming.
Amy
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
You can check out my full review over at https://bit.ly/2lRD9uY

I LOVED this book.
Lyndsay
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
really enjoyed this will look for more by this author
Nikki
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good read could not put it down enjoyed it very much
Michelle Josupeit
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

I liked this book! The story was plausible and i also liked the ending too. I’ll look for more from this author!
readingmypages
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was good, fast paced and kept me interested. I liked the story having multiple point of views. The only thing I didn’t like was the way the characters reacted to different types of scenarios going on. They were unrealistic and that would get me frustrated. Overall, it was a good book and the plot twist at the end shocked me!

Thank you to netgalley & Inkubator Books for the copy in exchange for the honest review! The Good Neighbor publishes on September 8th, 2019!
Shar
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great, can't put it down suspense mystery novel. Read it in one day! A great plot that begins with a girl gone missing, but things are not at all what they seem, with great twist, turns, and psychologically thrilling undertones. It is rare to be surprised at how a story twists and turns, but this is one that is not what it seems at first. I highly recommend for a great take on a plot that isn't predictable.
Cathryn Grant's short fiction has appeared in Alfred Hitchcock and Ellery Queen Mystery Magazines, The Shroud Quarterly Journal, and been anthologized in The Best of Every Day Fiction. Her short story, "I Was Young Once", received an honorable mention in the 2007 Zoetrope All-story Short Fiction contest.

Her psychological suspense fiction reveals the motives and desires that lead to suburban crime.