Start by marking “Princess Kevin” as Want to Read:
Princess Kevin

Princess Kevin

This year, Kevin is going to the school costume show as a princess. His costume is perfect but he knows that the best costumes are authentic. So heis outraged that none of the knights will partner with him and complete the look. Things don't go quite a smoothly ashe planned. Next year, there is only one thing for it. He will just have to be something even more fabulous.
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Frances Lincoln Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Princess Kevin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princess Kevin

Start your review of Princess Kevin
MissBecka
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to MissBecka by: La Coccinelle
Highly amusing book!
The illustrations are perfect and the story is adorable.
I like that the author didn't try to make Kevin some sort of spectacle.
Instead we are taken through the day of a boy dressed like a princess and all that brings to him personally.

We need more books like this!
Much love to NetGalley & Quarto Publishing Group - Frances Lincoln Childrens for my DRC.
W.
Planning on reading Princess Kevin with my young nieces and nephews

Princess Kevin is an adorable , quirky pictures book about a boy Kevin who wants to wants to be a princess for his school's costume show.

Kevin's want the entire princess package; the beautiful pink gown , the high heels , the make up and of course the crown and we see Kevin in his glorious princess self , Kevin soon realize it isn't easy being a princess and he is doing his very best to be but so perhaps it will be a good idea
La Coccinelle
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, children, netgalley
Kevin really doesn't care what the other kids think. He just wants to be a princess for his school's costume show. He comes up with a great princess costume, complete with high heels and makeup. There's just one thing missing: a knight. But none of the boys want to be Kevin's knight in shining armour. In fact, the only kid who seems to "get" Kevin is Chloe, who is supposedly dressed as a dragon (but looks more like a sock thanks to her dad's lack of costuming abilities). By the end of the day, ...more
Anniek
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
This was a very cute picture book about defying gender norms. I loved that Kevin wanting to wear a dress wasn't linked to him being gay or trans, because it just doesn't matter here: boys can just wear dresses. I do think this could have done a little more in terms of actual acceptance. It was good to see that Kevin just didn't care what his peers thought, and implicitly, of course, his parents were accepting enough. But it would have been nice if there had been more of a twist in terms of the ...more
Lucía Cafeína
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tierno, adorable, y divertido.
¿Por qué iba a haber algún problema si un niño quisiera vestirse de princesa?
Ideal para los más peques, pero también indispensable para todas las edades.
Mehsi
A delightful book about a boy who wants to be a princess and /cares for what anyone thinks about it.

I read this gorgeous and funny picture book in Dutch but I want to write my review in English as the original is in English.

At Kevin's school there is a play and a whole day of dressing up. Kevin decides that he wants to be a princess and so he borrows a dress, some make-up, and some very high heeled shoes. I loved how supportive everyone in his family was. How his sister helped him out and
Brigid
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Princess Kevin is a sweet children's book about a little kid who has fabulous plans for costume day. Kevin is a princess, utterly and absolutely, complete with a pink dress, high heels, makeup, and of course a crown. It's not so easy to be a princess, but Kevin is determined to make it work!

When I saw this book at a French bookfair, I knew that it was exactly the kind of book I wanted to get for my nephew – he's a high heels, pigtails, and fairy wings kind of a kid, and at 6, I can already see
Elaine White
I'm of two minds about this book.

On one hand - it's super cute, the illustrations are perfect, bright and fun for kids. It has a cute message and one that will stick with kids.

However, I also feel like it missed the mark in a few places. For one, it says that Kevin can be who he wants to be, that if it's fine for girls to dress as boy characters, then boys should be able to dress as girl characters. Fine. Except that it then goes on to almost marginalise that statement with the reasoning of
Emily
Princess Kevin is a super cute, funny tale about a boy doesn't care for "gender" limits in his dress-up play. It's costume day at school, and Kevin dresses up as a princess with some clothes and makeup borrowed from his sister and mom. However, he discovers that being a princess isn't easy when the knights don't want to play with you, your dress is too long, and you have to walk in high heels. But Kevin won't let a few setbacks deter him from dressing up the way he wants to!

I love how simple and
Vivien
Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I was provided a free copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This picture book was pretty fun. It tells the story of the costume day at Kevin's school which he wants to attend as a princess this year. It's not - as I assumed - a story about a trans or gay boy, but a story that challenges the gender norms of society, which I just loved. Because why shouldn't a boy decide to dress as a princess? Kevin is absolutely right.

It's a funny book about a boy who is just
Irene
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kevin laat in zijn prinsessenjurk zien dat iedereen mag zijn wie hij is. Of je nu een drakenpak aan hebt als meisje of een prinsessenjurk als jongen. Goed thema.
Na alle positieve verhalen en promotie van dit boek was ik nieuwsgierig, maar na het lezen van dit prentenboek vond ik het toch een beetje tegenvallen. Naar mijn idee was het verhaal erg snel afgelopen en ook nog niet helemaal af. Neemt niet weg dat het een goed thema blijft en goed bespreekbaar is in klassen. Overigens vind ik de
Charlotte
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story was SO much fun! Kevin wakes up one morning to "costume day" at school! He decides he wants to be a Princess.

Throughout his day Kevin discovers several things. He can't seem to find a knight... and being a princess is no fun without one. But if some people think you shouldn't be a princess...that's their problem!

The illustrations in this book are colourful and amusing. Kevin is a lovely fellow, forthright and independent and fearlessly himself. He's a great character to welcome into
Kel
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Allow children to be themselves, to play and wear the costume of their choice. The book confronts ridiculous gender norms all while Kevin comes to his own realization. Kevin is a princess just girls can be knights.
Roberta
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a fun children’s book, in which Kevin attends his school’s costume day as a princess. The illustrations are bright, colourful, and full of activity. The story, though simple, is fun and realistic. It also contains an important message - that it’s just as fine for boys to dress up as “female” characters as for girls to dress up as “male” characters. I enjoyed it.

I was given a free copy of this book. My opinions are my own.
Jennifer B.
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very cute! Loved the story and the drawings. Definitely a good way to introduce the ideas of diversity and acceptance to children.
OjoAusana
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, read-2020
*received a copy for free from netgalley for honest review* I LOVE this book! super cute drawings, love the idea and story and really love that they say "mermaid". would love to own for sure!
Jeimy
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
I love that we now have a variety of books that address gender expression. While this was not my favorite, I appreciate that it exists so that children like Kevin may see themselves reflected in its pages.
Elsvandaele
Een boek met een mooie boodschap: je mag zijn wie je wil. Prima om genderneutraliteit te bespreken. Maar toch vond ik het wat tegenvallen, waarschijnlijk door de manier waarop het gebracht werd. En omdat ook niet duidelijk werd 'Vindt hij het nu leuk om een prinses te zijn of niet?'
Reina Douma
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wat een mooi verhaal met een prachtige boodschap: Je mag zijn wie je bent!
Kevin is een prinses, wat iedereen er ook van vindt of denkt. De kleurrijke illustraties vullen het verhaal mooi aan.
Inger
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boekenbingo-2020
Mooi prentenboek met een verhaal dat toch net anders gaat dan ik had verwacht. De illustraties zijn echt van toegevoegde waarde en je ontdekt steeds andere dingen.
Addie Stevens
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was adorable! It shows that you can dress up as anything that you want and colors don't have genders. I would recommend this book to anyone.
Juf Yvon
Kevin is een prinses en het maakt hem niets uit of iedereen erom lacht. Leuk verhaal met kleurrijke illustraties die steeds twee bladzijden beslaan.
Alex
Nora
Jan 20, 2020

• Waar is de draak?
  • Top Bob de reddende hond
  • De dag waarop de draak verdween
  • Pim en Pom in het Rijksmuseum
  • Bob Popcorn
  • Geronimo - The Penguin Who Thought He Could Fly
  • Olle wist zeker dat hij geen bril nodig had
  • Mijn wonderlijke oom
  • Ik wil een paard
  • Bijzondere keus, meneer de reus!
  • Do Not Lick this Book
  • Prinses Arabella in het museum
  • Kit en Kaat bakken stiekem voor de koning
  • Vakantieprut en appelmummies
  • Raaf en Papegaai. Naar het land van de rijzende zon
  • Kind
  • De gouden kokosnoot
  • De reis met de vliegende leunstoel
Michaël Escoffier was born in France in 1970. He discovered his passion for writing and telling stories at a young age. He lives in Lyon, France, with his wife and two children.