Start by marking “The Animals at Lockwood Manor” as Want to Read:
The Animals at Lockwood Manor

The Animals at Lockwood Manor

Some secrets are unspoken. Others are unspeakable . . .

August 1939.

Thirty-year-old Hetty Cartwright is tasked with the evacuation and safekeeping of the natural history museum’s collection of mammals. Once she and her exhibits arrive at Lockwood Manor, however, where they are to stay for the duration of the war, Hetty soon realizes that she’s taken on more than she’d
Expected publication: March 10th 2020 by Mantle

Start your review of The Animals at Lockwood Manor
Paromjit
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jane Healey writes a dark, disturbing and slow moving gothic mystery with echoes of a number of classic novels, set amidst the background of WW2, the decline of the aristocracy and the social norms, attitudes and expectations of women in this period. It is 1939, 30 year old Hetty Cartwright is a museum curator charged with overseeing the removal and protection of the taxidermy mammal collection at the natural history museum to Lockwood Manor for the duration of the war. She finds her task ...more
Erin
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Giveaway win!

The Animals at Lockwood Manor just was not for me. Nothing happens....

I mean AT ALL!

This book was so boring. The "mystery" wasn't a mystery, it was super obvious who behind all the strange happenings. This book was described as being sexy and spooky but it wasn't either of those things.

Jane Healey has a beautiful way with words but her plotting and storytelling could use some work.
Michelle
Dec 24, 2019 rated it liked it
It’s the start of WW2 Hetty Cartwright is a museum curator in London in charge of the Mammal collection. When she is evacuated to Lockwood Manor with the collection to keep it safe against the air raids of London. Lockwood Manor is a big house with so many rooms, with not so many people to fill it. The lady of the manor tragically died left with the lord of the house and his daughter.
When the collection is brought to the house, Hetty struggles to keep up with keeping an eye on the collection and
Emma
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
A creepy gothic manor haunted by ghosts of the past; an unpleasant lord of the manor with hidden secrets; creepy stuffed animals *shudder*. I suppose it’s true that valuable items from London museums were evacuated to prevent destruction in air raids? I enjoyed the story but couldn’t particularly take to the main character Hetty. Many thanks to Netgalley for an arc of this book.
4cats
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's 1939, and a young female museum curator is evacuated with the musems mammal collection to Lockwood Manor, where she will remain for the duration of the war, caring and watching over the collection.

Hetty soon finds herself clashing with Lord Lockwood who looks at the collection as something he can use to his advantage. She befriends Lucy, Lord Lockwood's daughter who is dealing with the death of her mother and grandmother and who is haunted by her past and the secrets held within the walls
Sarah-Hope
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweissplus, 2020
World War II. A young woman finds herself curator of mammals at the British Museum as more and more men head off to fight. With the threat of air raids, the Mammals are shipped off to a country mansion. Where they are attacked by parasites, move about, disappear...? As the young curator grows increasingly close to the adult daughter living in the mansion, the Lord (and father) grows increasingly threatening.

If you've read much in the way of psychological suspense novels, you can pretty much
Sheri
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“It had been living here that had turned my mother and I mad... I was sure that something still lurked here inside these walls, something hidden, something - someone - malevolent and wrong.”

As German bombs threaten London, Lockwood Manor receives some unusual evacuees - the animal exhibits of a London natural history museum, presided over by museum worker Hetty Cartwright.

The house, inhabited by unpleasant Major Lockwood and his fragile daughter Lucy, has seen its own recent tragedies: Lucy’s
Vicky
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Though less overtly creepy than A Shadow on the Lens, this book is plenty unsettling in its own right. And it also happens to be historical: set in World War Two, to be exact, though I’ve never read anything quite like it before.

The heroine of the story is Hetty, a young woman sent to Lockwood Manor to be the caretaker of a collection of rare taxidermy animals for the museum that she’s employed by. But things aren’t as simple as they first appear: the animals are vanishing, or moving, the manor
Janet
By turns spooky and sexy, dream-like and uneasy, Jane Healey’s THE ANIMALS AT LOCKWOOD MANOR is the perfect read for fans of Sarah Waters and historical fiction.
Sally
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found myself absolutely lost in this book. The atmosphere of Lockwood Manor just pulled me right into the story, following Hetty as she tries to keep the animal collection safe in its temporary home.

As the threat of bombing looms, the extensive animal collection of London's Natural History Museum is evacuated to a safer location at Lockwood Manor. Hetty Cartwright is appointed as the guardian of the collection, and moves alongside it to take up residence at Lockwood Manor. However, almost as
Sarah Wilson
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Firstly thank you to Netgalley and Pan Macmillan for a this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I absolutely loved this novel, and found myself thinking about it even after I had put it down.

Hetty Cartwright finds herself at Lockwood manor during ww2 with a collection of exhibits from the National Museum which she has been charged with keeping safe during the blitz. What follows is an intriguing , Gothic tale which I can honestly say went in a direction I was not expecting.

I really enjoyed
Beadyjan
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful - loved it, review to follow.
Alyssia Cooke
The Animals at Lockwood Manor is an undeniably slow burner of a book and whilst I found the setting and descriptions highly evocative and atmospheric to begin with, I must say that I found myself getting bored by the half way mark. There is a huge amount of historical and biological detail in the depictions of the World War 2 setting, the manor house itself and of course the collection of museum creatures shipped off as refugees to be safe from the potential bombing to come, but not a lot ...more
Connie
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
The Animal's At Lockwood Manor is a vivid haunting story set against the backdrop of WW2.
Hetty Cartwright is tasked with the evacuation and safekeeping of the National History museum's collection of mammals to Lockwood Manor and away from the air raids that threaten London.
Lockwood is a grand manor steeped in history with rumours of madness that suggest it's cursed.
Hetty soon finds herself confused and out of sorts when some of the exhibits go missing, she's sure she's going mad with the feeling
Kate Smith
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a beautifully written, magical read.
I was swept away with Hettie and her animals, feeling as protective of them as she was. Well written characters, settings to get lost in, and a story that really drew me in.
Highly recommended.
Thanks to Netgalley and Jane Healey for the ARC copy of this amazing book.
Heather Nazmdeh
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A surprising book not reflected by its title. The animals in question are stuffed mammals from a London museum that are evacuated to Lockwood Manor to be kept safe during the war. The person in charge of them is a woman, Hetty, serious, introspective and quite unable to deal with the brash and bullying Lord of the Manor. What develops is a tale of intrigue, unexpected love, spooky happening and a terrific climax. Well written, multi-layered, a satsifying, interesting read.
Justine Windsor
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book; it is beautifully written, full of intrigue, spookiness and slow-burning passion. Hetty, Lucy and Lord Lockwood are all well drawn, but perhaps Lord Lockwood was a little less vibrant than the two women. I adored the animals as well, they provided a unique backdrop to the story and their fate is entwined with that of Hetty and Lucy.

I highly recommend this book, especially for anyone who has enjoyed Jane Eyre or Rebecca or Brideshead Revisited as I think The Animals at Lockwood
Jessie Sedai of the Black Ajah🥀🐍
Jane Healey masters the craftwork of heavenly prose like a seamstress weaving silk - her descriptive prowess and articulation of dark atmospheric tone is simply divine. This book demands to be read by the hearth, with a mug of something warm, and in a smart, British accent (or at least that's what I did.)

Set in 1939, aspiring museum director Hetty Cartwright is tasked with the job of a lifetime - to oversee the relocation of a mammal exhibit for a London gallery to Lockwood Manor in an attempt
Munch
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was sent an arc copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.
I started to read this on the plane and it sucked me in so quickly I hardly noticed the turbulence! I felt a instant connection to Hetty, she is very relatable (but not in a way that she feels like she as no personality of her own), not good at small talk (except talking about something she is passionate about) or social interaction. The growing tension in the house is palpable and you can see the effect it has on
Annie
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading Jane Healey’s The Animals at Lockwood Manor was not a comfortable experience. At first, I felt annoyance and frustration on behalf of Hetty Cartwright. Hetty is one of the lone women employed by an unnamed London natural history museum at the outset of World War II. As such, she faces a lot of snide comments about being a spinster in a man’s job. She keeps her head down and does her job as a preservationist for the Victorian-era taxidermied specimens as best she can, but she is the kind ...more
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-best-reads
A rich, atmospheric dream of a book that had me hooked from the start. The setting of the Manor is claustrophobic, and the creeping sense of unease is brought wonderfully to life with dark uninhabited corridors, ghostly hand imprints on mirrors, missing museum pieces, nightmares and unwelcoming staff. As well as being a wonderfully paced mystery, the book perfectly captures a dynamic point in time when society changes were particularly pronounced. The country estates of the rich were suffering ...more
Joanne Liddement
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
During the outbreak of WWII, Hetty Cartwright, a museum curator from London, is given the task of moving a valuable collection of taxidermy mammals and birds, to Lockwood Manor, a rambling and dreary manor house out in the countryside.
However Lockwood Manor has it's own secrets, when the animals start to appear around different parts of the house, when they have been locked away, and it is obvious things are not what they seem.
Hetty along with Lucy, the daughter of Major Lockwood, the owner of
Jenny Kearney
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wanted to read this book because it was about a museum collection and I used to work in museums. I loved looking after historical collections and enjoyed reading about Hetty and her stuffed animals. The book is part historical novel and part mystery. Almost as soon as Hetty arrives at Lockwood Manor she notices strange things happening to her animals.

At first I thought it was something to do with the recently deceased Lady Lockwood, it was only towards the end that the story unravelled and you
Olivia Meletes-Morris
I really enjoyed this novel, it is very reminiscent of Jane Eyre (my favorite book) so fans of Gothic fiction will adore it. I was thrilled to find out that the author also adored Jane Eyre as well and it gave her inspiration for this novel. Beautifully written, set at a time of panic in London when WWII is on the brink of happening. The taxidermy animals at the museum have to be moved out of London in case a bomb could strike. They are relocated to a manor in the countryside called Lockwood ...more
Amanda  Gee
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A brilliantly original story with a great setting, fabulous characterisation and very well written.
I was drawn into this book from the start, it's well paced and very engaging. Would definitely recommend it.
Cressida McLaughlin
A vivid, beautiful but haunting story, with a thread of darkness running through it. very engrossing. ...more
Susan
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed reading this book although I think it dragged a little at times, maybe because I was keen to see what happened and find out if my guesses at the beginning were correct! And they mostly were, not that it detracted from my enjoyment of this modern Gothic mystery which has some topical contemporary touches including examples of coerciveand controlling behaviour. It leaves the reader with a lot to think about, and would be a very good book club choice.
Many thanks to the publisher and
Lauren
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, favorites
I loved this novel! Everything about it: the setting, the characters, the time period, the writing. It was wonderful and visceral; an extremely addicting story that doesn’t let go.
Allison Speakmon
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: february-2020
Dan Bassett
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is without a doubt a truly memorable, haunting, Gothic read and one you should definitely invest your time in!
August 1939; Hetty is a worker of the great London Museum and she adores it. Every aspect of the job, from the hours of cataloguing to the thankless task of cleaning and looking after the specimens in her care. When a plan to move most of the precious animals to Lockwood Manor comes about to ensure their safety away from the brooding war, she is understandably nervous and
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Bookish First Rea...: The Animals at Lockwood Manor by Jane Healey 4 5 Nov 16, 2019 03:51PM

• The Mercies
  • Sin Eater
  • The Last Confession of Autumn Casterly
  • Saint X
  • Remembrance
  • The Vanished Bride (Brontë Sisters Mystery #1)
  • The Lost Ones
  • The Foundling
  • Starve Acre
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • Coming Up for Air
  • The Yellow Bird Sings
  • The Ninth Child
  • Three Hours
Jane Healey was named after Jane Eyre but, growing up in a Victorian farmhouse that was rumoured to be haunted, was initially too frightened of the ghost in the red-room to read past the second chapter. She returned to it – successfully – during her English Literature degree at Warwick University and later wrote her MSc dissertation at Edinburgh University on ghosts, mothers, and libraries as ...more