Start by marking “The Strangers We Know” as Want to Read:

The Strangers We Know

Imagine seeing your loving husband on a dating app. Now imagine that’s the best thing to happen to you all week …

When Charlie sees a man who is the spitting image of her husband Oliver on a dating app, her heart stops. Her first desperate instinct is to tell herself she must be mistaken – after all, she only caught a glimpse from a distance as her friends were laughingly
Published December 1st 2019 by Simon & Schuster Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Strangers We Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Strangers We Know

Start your review of The Strangers We Know
Kylie D
What would you do if you found out that your husband was cheating on you? What would you do if you found your whole life was a lie? Charlie's world collapses when quite by accident she finds her husbands profile on a dating site. When she confronts him he laughs it off, but things aren't adding up. She finds more signs of extra marital affairs, and then everything implodes, and she turns to her girlfriends for help.

As she digs into Oliver's life she is stunned to find that he, and others around
Carolyn
This is a very twisty thriller indeed!

Charlie Carter thinks she has the perfect marriage to Oliver, a handsome, considerate man, so different to her previous partner Josh. But when she spots his photo on her friend's dating app she starts to have her doubts that he's not who she thought he was. And then she is implicated in a murder and must use all her smarts to work out what has been going on before the police catch up with her.

This is very compelling reading, because like Charlie, you just
Mandy White
Pip Drysdale - you have done it again! When I read The Sunday Girl last year I was instantly a fan and could not wait to get my hands on copy of The Strangers We Know. And again I stayed up way past my bedtime to read this book. And it was absolutely worth all the lost sleep as I could not get enough. This book is headed straight to the top of the bestsellers chart - it is brilliant! I will be recommending The Strangers We Know to anybody that will listen to me!!

Imagine seeing a photo that you
Veronica ⭐️
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, 2019
Marianne
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Strangers We Know is the second novel by Australian/African raised writer, actor and musician, Pip Drysdale. Eighteen months into her (deliriously happy) marriage to gorgeous high-powered businessman, Oliver Buchanan, actress Charlie Carter catches sight of his image as her friend swipes left on her dating app. Charlie could swear it’s a photo of him on their honeymoon, one she took. But there’s a reason Charlie hesitates to confront him directly about it, and her more general question ...more
Gloria Arthur
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just who can you trust? A twisty modern day thriller!

Charlie notices her husband’s photo on a dating app her friends are swiping through, in fact she even took that photo on their honeymoon! She’s in shock and thinks she must be mistaken as she has the perfect marriage, hasn’t she? Her suspicions are now aroused and as she casts her mind back things start beginning to add up.

Charlie shamelessly decides to sign up to the dating app herself as a blonde she’s invented named Annabella with a few
Pip Drysdale
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
So, I may or may not be biased...
Kim
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness! This book will make you look twice at your husband, partner or friends and wonder if you really know them at all!
Charlie appears to have the perfect marriage to Oliver…. until she sees his photo on her friend’s dating app and her world is turned upside down. She sets out to prove her suspicions that he is cheating, however she soon discovers a cheating husband is the least of her problems.
This book really takes you for a ride on many twists and turns, and just like Charlie, you
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘Nothing is ever as it seems, is it?’

Meet Charlie. She believes that she and husband Oliver have the perfect marriage, until the day she thinks she sees an image of Oliver on a dating application. Surely, she’s mistaken? But she recognises the photograph (she took it herself).

And so begins a fast-paced convoluted journey as Charlie, having confronted Oliver and not accepted his denial, leaves him and tries to do her own detective work. But who, and what can she trust?

‘You see, that’s the problem
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
“Nothing is ever as it seems, is it?”

When Charlie Carter catches a glimpse of a man who looks like her husband on a dating app, she desperately wants to believe she is mistaken. Since their marriage eighteen months previously, Oliver has been the perfect husband…hardworking, attentive and loving, and she wants his unequivocal denial to be enough.

“You see, that’s the problem with trust issues: eventually you find you can’t trust yourself either.”

But it isn’t. To allay her lingering suspicions,
Lynn
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
4* Who Can You Trust Stars

I was excited when I saw that Pip Drysdale was releasing her second novel as I thoroughly enjoyed her debut novel The Sunday Girl. The Strangers we know did not disappoint and once I started reading it, I could not put it down as I had to know what would happen next.

When Charlie recognises her husband on a dating app her whole perfect world and marriage implodes. The lengths she goes to find out more is nail biting as everything around her unravels with dire
Book Bandit
3/5 Overall
2/5 Style
5/5 Story

Loved the concept and the characters, this is a genuine page turner with some surprising twists. I did find the voice and the style a little distracting and not overly polished. I've also decided that this would make an amazing TV series or film.
Erin
“None of us are who we appear to be.”*

Truer words could not be spoken in regards to the spectrum we know as the human condition. Every single one of us is a multifaceted, 3-Dimensional being, capable of, and disposed to, altering ourselves slightly, depending on the company we find ourselves in.

What Pip Drysdale has managed to capture in this stand-alone follow up to her excellent debut novel The Sunday Girl, is that humans are complicated and that sometimes we are each of us the goody AND the
Debbie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine your friend scrolling through her dating feed, when you think you glance a picture of your husband. Youknowthis picture, as it is one you took yourself!

Charlie can't think of any explanation as to why Oliver would be cheating as he seems the doting husband, but here it is, his online dating profile.As the story progresses and Charlie starts to investigate, it is clear that she has bigger issues than Oliver's alleged cheating. This was such a fast moving suspense, with love, family drama
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

When Charlie sees a man that is the spitting image of her husband on a dating app, her world is flipped upside down. Suddenly other signs of betrayal begin to add up and so Charlie does the only thing she can think of to defend her position – she signs up to the app to catch Oliver in the act.

Pip Drysdale is just getting better! I didn’t mind her first book, The Sunday Girl, but this
Kathryn
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Actual rating 2.5

A little shallow and superficial in places, but there were enough plot twists to hold my interest to the end.

A longer review will appear on my blog, Kathryn's Inbox closer to the publication date.
Dominique Wilson
Very nearly put this book in the 'did not finish' pile, but thought it would be unfair to offer a review if not reading it to the end. As it was, though the plot did become more interesting from about the halfway mark, I just wasn't able to connect with the protagonist. I found the tone somewhat superficial, and some of the events totally unrealistic. A shame, really, because the concept was an interesting one.
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
‘Sometimes all it takes is one plot twist to realise nobody is who you think they are and everything you know to be true is actually false.’

Actor, musician and writer Pip Drysdale returns with her second novel, The Strangers We Know. A modern domestic thriller, with twists aplenty and a whole host of false leads, this addictive page turner enthralls from cover to cover.

Charlie is a married aspiring actress, who lives in London. When Charlie is confronted
Sam Still Reading
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of fast paced domestic thrillers
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: from the publisher
I quite enjoy reading domestic/psychological thrillers for their twists and turns but I just never seem to get to them these days! So when The Strangers We Know arrived, I took the advice to dive into a good book with a drink on a hot day. Forget about the drink, I was much more invested in the story! The Strangers We Know is the kind of thriller that twists and turns with blind corners and illusions everywhere. I thought it was a great read and I blitzed through it to see what would happen to ...more
Cathie Sawyer
Nov 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Amanda Youngs
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: I had to read this for work. I would never have chosen to read something like this for myself. But I am soooooo glad that I read it! It was intense! I found the protagonist a bit irritating at times, but that aside, it was great fun. Much better written than this kind of book usually is, and I found myself staying up late, reading for longer than I had intended.

I won't be giving away any plot details, but there is romance, there is a certain amount of violence, a LOT of
Kate Page
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I pride myself on being some what of a self-appointed private detective, so this story appealed to me on so many levels. From the moment Charlie discovers her husband's photo on a dating app, her life begins to unravel. And instead of taking the approach of talking directly to him, she decides to use all her knowledge from films and T.V. shows to go undercover and expose the truth. This takes her on a trail of more lies and deception than she could have imagined, about her picture perfect life ...more
Nastassja
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lydia
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlie is head over heels in love with her husband Oliver, these two are the epitome of couple goals.

Laughing, and enjoying a night out with her bestie, Charlie is shocked and shaken when she sees a man who looks just like her husband appear on the screen of her friends dating app.

Is her mind playing tricks on her? Surely it can’t be her beloved? With only a quick glimpse of this handsome suitor Charlie begins to question who she saw.

Doubt starts to creep in for Charlie, and she can’t help
Sarah Sims
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A blissfully happily married Charlie finds her world turned instantly upside-down when she stumbles across her husband Oliver on a dating app. Cue a twisty and fast-paced thriller that unravels the mystery of why Oliver appears to be someone other than the faithful man she has built her life around; and perhaps Charlie shares her life with more than one unsavoury character. How well do we really know the people we let into our lives? Who can we truly trust? Are we all just sharing our hopes and ...more
Renee Hermansen
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Simon&Schuster for my ARC of this great book by Pip Drysdale.
I was really looking forward to this read as it looked intriguing and I wasn't disappointed.
I was hooked from the start with the story of Charlie and her husband Oliver.

"Do we really know anyone" is the question when Charlie finds her man's profile on a dating app.
She goes on to try to uncover the truth about what is going on in her husband's life and discovers more than she bargained for. Right until the end of this
Terese Smith
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gifted
The Strangers We Know
Aspiring actor Charlie and her financier husband appear to have the perfect marriage. However, she knows there is something worrying her husband and she doesn’t trust his business partner. In a few short weeks, Charlie’s life rapidly spirals out of control. After a night out with friends, all of sudden she no longer knows who she can trust. Pip Drysdale’s second novel intrigued me and I wanted to know ‘whodunnit’. It’s a modern tale complete with catfishing, dating apps and
Janet Ryan
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently won an early preview copy of The stranger we know by Pip Drysdale thanks to Good reading magazine and Simon and Schuster. Charlie is married to Oliver and thinks she's living the perfect life until she glances at her friends dating app and sees a photo she took of Oliver on their honeymoon. Her illusions are shattered bringing up the question do we truelly ever know the people we surround ourselves with. She starts on a rollercoaster of emotional investigations which reveal slowly, ...more
Sharon Jarvis
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pip Drysdale has written another compelling story that gets hold of you and doesn’t let you go! We initially meet Charlie Carter having broken up with her boyfriend and is being cheered up by her friend Tess, when she meets Oliver. It doesn’t take long but soon they are together and even married. However, things become complicated when Charlie sees her husband on a dating app. Things turn crazy as she follows up on this by joining the dating app herself.
The story takes many twists and turns that

• The Wife and the Widow
  • The Girl in the Painting
  • Red Can Origami
  • Such a Fun Age
  • In The Clearing
  • Dead Man Switch (A Billie Walker Mystery #1)
  • The House of Brides
  • The Arrangement
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • The Weekend
Pip Drysdale is a writer, actor and musician who grew up in Africa and Australia. At 20 she moved to New York to study acting, worked in indie films and off-off Broadway theatre, started writing songs and made four records. After graduating with a BA in English, Pip moved to London where she dated some interesting men and played shows across Europe. Her first novel, The Sunday Girl, was a best ...more