Start by marking “The Strangers We Know” as Want to Read:
The Strangers We Know

The Strangers We Know

Imagine seeing your loving husband on a dating app. Now imagine that’s the best thing to happen to you all week …

When Charlie sees a man who is the spitting image of her husband Oliver on a dating app, her heart stops. Her first desperate instinct is to tell herself she must be mistaken – after all, she only caught a glimpse from a distance as her friends were laughingly
Published December 1st 2019 by Simon & Schuster Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Strangers We Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Strangers We Know

Start your review of The Strangers We Know
Kylie D
What would you do if you found out that your husband was cheating on you? What would you do if you found your whole life was a lie? Charlie's world collapses when quite by accident she finds her husbands profile on a dating site. When she confronts him he laughs it off, but things aren't adding up. She finds more signs of extra marital affairs, and then everything implodes, and she turns to her girlfriends for help.

As she digs into Oliver's life she is stunned to find that he, and others around
Carolyn
This is a very twisty thriller indeed!

Charlie Carter thinks she has the perfect marriage to Oliver, a handsome, considerate man, so different to her previous partner Josh. But when she spots his photo on her friend's dating app she starts to have her doubts that he's not who she thought he was. And then she is implicated in a murder and must use all her smarts to work out what has been going on before the police catch up with her.

This is very compelling reading, because like Charlie, you just
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Q: Who the hell had I married? (c)
Q: Fuck you, Itrusted you– well, sort of. (c)

How do you get over life? You just don't.

The bad:
Q:
He was the closest thing to magic I’d ever seen: it was as if he’d stepped straight out of a rom com. Like the cast of Friends might be trailing close behind. (c) Frankly? Sounds like the perfect setting to some cross between a horror-show and a boring-fest instead of romantic meeting. 'Friends'? Whoever watches that crap?
Q:
And from theway he looked at me, it felt
Mandy White
Pip Drysdale - you have done it again! When I read The Sunday Girl last year I was instantly a fan and could not wait to get my hands on copy of The Strangers We Know. And again I stayed up way past my bedtime to read this book. And it was absolutely worth all the lost sleep as I could not get enough. This book is headed straight to the top of the bestsellers chart - it is brilliant! I will be recommending The Strangers We Know to anybody that will listen to me!!

Imagine seeing a photo that you
Sharon
Charlie Carter thought she had a good, happy and loving marriage to her husband, Oliver that was until she saw him on a dating app. At first Charlie is in disbelief and thinks she’s made a mistake and maybe it’s someone who looks like him. But when Charlie looks closely at the picture she quickly realises it’s no mistake because it’s a photo that she took of him.

Charlie confronts Oliver about being on the dating app and he denies it. Charlie can’t let it go and decides to do a bit of detective
Pip Drysdale
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
So, I may or may not be biased...
Veronica ⭐️
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, s-s, 2019
I just devoured this twisty thriller. Charlie has discovered her husband is cheating when she inadvertently sees his photo on her friends dating app. Her perfect life starts to spiral downhill after her insecurities, old hurts and paranoia set in. Does she really know the man she has married?

Charlie signs up to the dating app, under a false name, and when she gets a message from Oliver she is shocked to the core by what she reads.

When everything seems lost and Charlie doesn’t know who to turn to
Marianne
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Strangers We Know is the second novel by Australian/African raised writer, actor and musician, Pip Drysdale. Eighteen months into her (deliriously happy) marriage to gorgeous high-powered businessman, Oliver Buchanan, actress Charlie Carter catches sight of his image as her friend swipes left on her dating app. Charlie could swear it’s a photo of him on their honeymoon, one she took. But there’s a reason Charlie hesitates to confront him directly about it, and her more general question ...more
Gloria Arthur
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just who can you trust? A twisty modern day thriller!

Charlie notices her husband’s photo on a dating app her friends are swiping through, in fact she even took that photo on their honeymoon! She’s in shock and thinks she must be mistaken as she has the perfect marriage, hasn’t she? Her suspicions are now aroused and as she casts her mind back things start beginning to add up.

Charlie shamelessly decides to sign up to the dating app herself as a blonde she’s invented named Annabella with a few
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

The Strangers We Know by Pip Drysdale. (2019).

Charlie's heart stops when she sees on a dating app a man who is the spitting image of her husband Oliver. Surely she must be mistaken, she only got a glimpse...but she can't let it go because she's the one who took that particular photo, on their honeymoon. Suddenly other signs of betrayal start to add up and so Charlie decides to sign up to the app to catch Oliver in the act. But Charlie
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
‘Sometimes all it takes is one plot twist to realise nobody is who you think they are and everything you know to be true is actually false.’

Actor, musician and writer Pip Drysdale returns with her second novel, The Strangers We Know. A modern domestic thriller, with twists aplenty and a whole host of false leads, this addictive page turner enthralls from cover to cover.

Charlie is a married aspiring actress, who lives in London. When Charlie is confronted
Emily
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"But the truth is: sometimes it's not okay. Sometimes all it takes is one plot twist to realise nobody is who you think they are and everything you know to be true is actually false."

I liked the idea of The Strangers We Know, but I was not a fan of the execution. The synopsis sounded interesting, and I liked the book in the beginning, but it did not last.

This book tried way too hard to be twisty, and it ended up being predictable and silly. I wish the story would have been more straightforward
Ace
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 rounded up.
Cathie Sawyer
Nov 20, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Renee Hermansen
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Simon&Schuster for my ARC of this great book by Pip Drysdale.
I was really looking forward to this read as it looked intriguing and I wasn't disappointed.
I was hooked from the start with the story of Charlie and her husband Oliver.

"Do we really know anyone" is the question when Charlie finds her man's profile on a dating app.
She goes on to try to uncover the truth about what is going on in her husband's life and discovers more than she bargained for. Right until the end of this
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
“Nothing is ever as it seems, is it?”

When Charlie Carter catches a glimpse of a man who looks like her husband on a dating app, she desperately wants to believe she is mistaken. Since their marriage eighteen months previously, Oliver has been the perfect husband…hardworking, attentive and loving, and she wants his unequivocal denial to be enough.

“You see, that’s the problem with trust issues: eventually you find you can’t trust yourself either.”

But it isn’t. To allay her lingering suspicions,
Dominique Wilson
Very nearly put this book in the 'did not finish' pile, but thought it would be unfair to offer a review if not reading it to the end. As it was, though the plot did become more interesting from about the halfway mark, I just wasn't able to connect with the protagonist. I found the tone somewhat superficial, and some of the events totally unrealistic. A shame, really, because the concept was an interesting one.
Kim
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness! This book will make you look twice at your husband, partner or friends and wonder if you really know them at all!
Charlie appears to have the perfect marriage to Oliver…. until she sees his photo on her friend’s dating app and her world is turned upside down. She sets out to prove her suspicions that he is cheating, however she soon discovers a cheating husband is the least of her problems.
This book really takes you for a ride on many twists and turns, and just like Charlie, you
Book Bandit
3/5 Overall
2/5 Style
5/5 Story

Loved the concept and the characters, this is a genuine page turner with some surprising twists. I did find the voice and the style a little distracting and not overly polished. I've also decided that this would make an amazing TV series or film.
Kathryn
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Actual rating 2.5

A little shallow and superficial in places, but there were enough plot twists to hold my interest to the end.

A longer review will appear on my blog, Kathryn's Inbox closer to the publication date.
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘Nothing is ever as it seems, is it?’

Meet Charlie. She believes that she and husband Oliver have the perfect marriage, until the day she thinks she sees an image of Oliver on a dating application. Surely, she’s mistaken? But she recognises the photograph (she took it herself).

And so begins a fast-paced convoluted journey as Charlie, having confronted Oliver and not accepted his denial, leaves him and tries to do her own detective work. But who, and what can she trust?

‘You see, that’s the problem
Kate
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-read
This book was fantastic!! It constantly kept me on the edge of my seat needing to know what happened.
The characters were so well done, and the plot was consistent the whole way through. Absolutely loved it.
Paula Brandon
Your enjoyment of this thriller will depend on how much you can tolerate what an absolute numbskull the protagonist is. The book basically wouldn't exist if it weren't for Charlie Buchanan making the most stupid, bone-headed moves at every single opportunity. It was exhausting.

The book begins with Charlie spotting a profile on her friend's Tinder app that looks exactly like Charlie's husband, Oliver. Indeed, it's a photo she took of him herself. The first big hurdle you need to get over to
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a twisty thriller that grabbed me from the first sentence. I pretty much read it in one sitting. It's not perfect, it drags slightly in places and the ending is improbable but that's pretty standard in this genre. It's still immensely readable.

The story is about Charlie, an actress who met and married Oliver about 18 months ago. He works in finance and his job involves lots of travel. One night she's out with a friend when she spots his photo on a dating app that her friend is showing
Lynn
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
4* Who Can You Trust Stars

I was excited when I saw that Pip Drysdale was releasing her second novel as I thoroughly enjoyed her debut novel The Sunday Girl. The Strangers we know did not disappoint and once I started reading it, I could not put it down as I had to know what would happen next.

When Charlie recognises her husband on a dating app her whole perfect world and marriage implodes. The lengths she goes to find out more is nail biting as everything around her unravels with dire
Brenda
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Erin
“None of us are who we appear to be.”*

Truer words could not be spoken in regards to the spectrum we know as the human condition. Every single one of us is a multifaceted, 3-Dimensional being, capable of, and disposed to, altering ourselves slightly, depending on the company we find ourselves in.

What Pip Drysdale has managed to capture in this stand-alone follow up to her excellent debut novel The Sunday Girl, is that humans are complicated and that sometimes we are each of us the goody AND the
Sheree | Keeping Up With The Penguins
The Strangers We Know is the new domestic drama-slash-thriller by Pip Drysdale. Simon & Schuster were kind enough to provide a copy for review, and it was just the ticket for taking my mind off this stifling summer heat!

Charlie and Oliver had the perfect meet cute, a whirlwind romance, and a happy marriage... until one night, Charlie joins her single friends for a girl's night out, and the unthinkable happens: they're swiping through her best friend's Tinder matches, and Oliver's profile
Kate Page
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I pride myself on being some what of a self-appointed private detective, so this story appealed to me on so many levels. From the moment Charlie discovers her husband's photo on a dating app, her life begins to unravel. And instead of taking the approach of talking directly to him, she decides to use all her knowledge from films and T.V. shows to go undercover and expose the truth. This takes her on a trail of more lies and deception than she could have imagined, about her picture perfect life ...more
Becca - beckys.bookish.life
When Charlie catches a glimpse of a man on a dating app that looks just like her husband, her world begins to fall apart. As all of her husbands betrayals begin to surface Charlie decides to sign up to the dating app and catch him in the act. But what if this wasn’t the worst thing to happen to Charlie and it was only just the beginning ...

This was a three star read for me but it really had the potential to be higher.

Things I enjoyed about this book:
- The pacing was fast (minus the first 100

• Going Under
  • The Arrangement
  • Who Did You Tell?
  • The One
Pip Drysdale is a writer, actor and musician who grew up in Africa and Australia. At 20 she moved to New York to study acting, worked in indie films and off-off Broadway theatre, started writing songs and made four records. After graduating with a BA in English, Pip moved to London where she dated some interesting men and played shows across Europe. Her first novel, The Sunday Girl, was a best ...more