Start by marking “Sun Bread” as Want to Read:
Sun Bread

Sun Bread

The wind is whooshing, the snow is whirling, the rain is streaming, and everyone misses the sun. The baker misses it so much that she mixes some dough, then kneads and shapes it into a warm, round, golden sun bread. When the animals eat it, they not only stop grumbling, they begin to rise! Birds and beasts join in a joyous celebration that wakes up the real sun, who takes ...more
Published May 7th 2001 by Dutton Juvenile (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Sun Bread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sun Bread

Kathryn
I started off loving the story. It's a beautiful idea about how a baker makes some "sun bread" to help a town that has grown weary of a long, dark winter. But, somewhere along the way, the narrative kind of fell flat for me and got a bit rambling or something. I don't know exactly how to pinpoint it. I still think Kleven is a great author and illustrator (the rhyme scheme here is lovely and the illustrations are so full of detail and so interesting) but this isn't my favorite of hers.
Lisa Vegan
I’m always so amazed at Kleven’s illustrations, which consist primarily of collages. I’ve always enjoyed that art form. I got a kick out of the dedication page because special thanks are given for modeling to Scout and Jenny, the author-illustrator’s dogs.

While the rhyming story reads beautifully, the story itself didn’t much excite me. The baker baking “sun” bread, with very unhealthy (and needlessly full of non-vegan) ingredients, a bread that calls the sun to shine, well, I was not wowed by t
Amber
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This beautifully illustrated picture book tells the story of a baker who bakes a loaf of sun bread to entice the winter sun to return. The giant loaf is shared by the community of animals and eventually by the sun as well who agrees to return each morning for breakfast. The final page offers a recipe to make homemade sun bread.
Lynda
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
My little one and I loved this book of animals baking sun bread during a dark cold winter until the actual sun rises and they share their sun bread with it. The illustrations are cute and there is a recipe for sun bread included in the book.
Jan
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Includes a recipe for sun bread!
Linda
I’m not sure which is the best thing about this book, the gorgeous art or the loving rhymes. Elisa Kleven tells a story of a snowy day when everything is dark, yet the baker at the bakery decides to make her own ‘sun bread’ which grows and grows as it bakes, enough for all to eat and share. Like a warm miracle, the real sun makes its appearance. It’s a ‘delicious’ story, with a happy voice and animals filling the pages.
Marmot
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the premise, of baking sun bread as a way to bring light into the dark time of winter, but I found some parts a bit over the top (like throwing chunks of bread at the sun...). I was looking for winter solstice books for my kids, and this wasn't quite what I had expected, but they enjoyed it nonetheless, especially how it was written in rhyme.
Catherine Johnson
I look at my book list on Goodreads and think I ought to stop giving out five stars, and then I read a book like this one and... well I caught my breath let me tell you. The rhyming is excellent, and the illustrations beautiful. The story is fabulous and it's so much fun to boot. Need I say more?
Gretchenmora Mora
This is a great tale about long winters and what an enterprising baker does to bring out the sun. I loved the story, the characters, and especially the art. A mix of collage and drawing, and it went so well with the story. I would love to have some of these as art posters on my kid's walls.
Elisabeth
We haven't tried the sun bread recipe yet.
Angela
beautiful illustrations.
Could be used for lesson - baking
Fred
May 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is joyful and it rhymes!
Genieva
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love this book although it is a childrens book it makes me feel happy on a rainy day.
Monique Welch
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really liked this book. I guess because I bake and it would be nice to make something with my son and enjoy sun bread that we made while reading the book!
Barbara Lovejoy
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elisa Kleven is one of my most favorite illustrators. She is both the author and illustrator of this book so it makes it double special.
Christine
Jan 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Fun to make the bread with kids, collages are fun to look at throughout.
Diem Dangers
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, the food metaphor is weaved throughout this bright and cheery story - great for winter!
Great use of vivid imagery and vibrant illustrations to convey a sense of warmth and happiness in a wintry setting. Themes include sharing and community involvement.
Nancy Walters
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of our favorites to read on the Solstice. Getting ready to read it to a group again tomorrow. We always bake the accompanying recipe and it works just as promised.
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever way to beat a lonely night!
Amanda Gregg
Hero
Mar 07, 2015
Sep 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Elisa Kleven is the author and/or illustrator of over 30 childrens picture books. Favorites with children and adults alike, Elisa's books have received awards and honors from the American Library Association, The New York Times , The Junior Library Guild, School Library Journal, and the American Institute of Graphic Arts. Her pictures from Abuela are part of a traveling show organized by the Minne ...more