Start by marking “Dreams of Lake Drukka & Exhumation (Short Sharp Shocks! #31)” as Want to Read:
Dreams of Lake Drukka & Exhumation (Short Sharp Shocks! #31)

Dreams of Lake Drukka & Exhumation (Short Sharp Shocks! #31)

"Dreams of Lake Drukka" and "Exhumation" explore the unearthing of horrific, long-buried family secrets. Journeying into the darkest recesses of the past, these stories depict the dire consequences of discovering the truth.

Writing about this duology, author Mike Thorn says: “It was only in retrospect that I could see the connections between these two stories. W
Published September 27th 2019 by Demain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Dreams of Lake Drukka & Exhumation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreams of Lake Drukka & Exhumation

Candace Robinson
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved the writing in this one and the fact that there wasn’t one short story but two inside! The first one was probably my favorite though. And I read through the author’s words quickly since the stories were so addicting!
Mindi
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This is my introduction to the Short Sharp Shocks! series, which is surprising to me since there are at least already 31 volumes. This book contains two short stories Dreams of Lake Drukka and the story Exhumation, both of which I assume are new stories from Mike Thorn. The ebook will be released tomorrow on September 27th.

Last year I read Thorn's collection DARKEST HOURS and I loved it. I don't think there was a weak story in the entire bunch. Unfortunately, the two stories in this book didn't reall
Janie C.
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Two stories that are based on past trauma and family secrets. I felt that both tales could have used more explanations, details and background to flesh out their plots. Nevertheless, both are effective in creating monsters that can't be unseen.
Dianne
Just in time for a creepy campfire story, Mike Thorn dishes out two short stories that, on the surface are spine-tingling horror, but actually go a little deeper than pure entertainment.

DREAMS OF LAKE DRUKKA & EXHUMATION already have an ominous sound just by their titles, but this author has definitely managed to pour a lot of story into each short read, enough that you walk away with them still on your mind and craving more, because you just know Mike Thorn would have risen to the occasion. But, hey, these are part of tentertainment.
DREAMS
Leo Robertson
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mike is a good guy and reliable source for all things scary—was great chatting to him for my podcast about the these stories, the way they unexpectedly interplayed with one another and why Calgary is a great setting for dark fiction.

Will post the chat here when it's ready :)

In the meantime check this out!
Sheilah
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I cracked open this short collection of two stories. One is about two sisters looking for familial closure. The other involves a family funeral.

The first one, Dreams of Lake Drukka, was most intriguing to me. I felt a connection with the sisterly theme, as well as I was hooked on the mystery of their adventure. Family secrets are always a gossip worthy experience and I found myself enjoying this dark and scary story.

The second story, Exhumation, was gory and nose wrinklin
Steve Stred
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
** Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews! **

“There’s no mystery about it.”

If you’re not keeping an eye on Demain Publishing’s Short Sharp Shocks! book series, you’ve been missing out. I’ve read a number of them from such great authors as Calvin Demmer, Yolanda Sfetsos and now I’ve added Mike Thorn to the list. At some point here, I’ll need to collect them all and make my way through all of them.

Last year I dove into ‘Darkest Hours’ by Thorn, an amazi
Irene
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
These two freaky stories share a theme of unusual death and estranged families.
In Dreams of Lake Drukka, a daughter is alienated from her father after her mother's death. She and her reluctant sister take a road trip and discover a dangerous truth. In Exhumation, a man arrives at his cousin's funeral to find something otherworldly waiting to welcome him home. Both stories had a fun creature feature kind of vibe and were quick and creepy reads.
I received a complimentary copy for revie
Sunshine Somerville
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed these compact and chilling stories. Often in horror you see the same setup and can guess what’s going on, but I love that this author comes up with extremely weird, new elements that take the story in a creepy direction I wasn’t expecting. The characters are well-developed for such short stories too, which shows the author has great writing skills beyond just imagination.
Kev Harrison
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Two stories which, though sharing something thematically, undoubtedly show off several different skills of the author. The first tale, Dreams of Lake Drukka, owes much to its setting. The trip there is part homage to a lost loved one, part realisation of an obsessive nightmare.
The second tale, also related to the theme of loss, is more sharply character-focussed, our lens trained in closely on Abel, our protagonist, from the start.
While pacing and the type of horrors these stories pr
Jordan
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
*3.75

Find this review at Forever Lost in Literature!

Dreams of Lake Drukka: This felt like a really classic scary story that I had a lot of fun with. It follows two sisters as they head out to place of their past to reconcile with their mother's death. However, upon arriving at their destination things take a bit of an...unexpected turn.

I loved the eeriness of this setting and the way that the strained relationship between both sisters really matched the tense atmosphere. I
Brennan LaFaro
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mike Thorn's pair of stories, Dreams of Lake Drukka and Exhumation, served as my introduction to Demain Publishing's Short Sharp Shocks series. Although the two stories featured contain different characters and situations, there are some overlapping themes including the supernatural and unresolved family conflict.

Dreams of Lake Drukka follows the journey of two sisters traveling to the lake where their mother drowned. As they travel, there is tension and conflict as we learn a bit more about th
Robert Bose
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
If you’re looking for someone to deliver impactful short sharp shocks, you’ve come to the right place. Mike Thorn has crafted two delightfully dreadful stories demonstrating that family secrets are best kept buried and once you leave home, there’s no going back.

Dreams of Lake Drukka: Two sisters return to the scene of a sinister family mystery and learn the true price for success.

I loved the sister’s strained, yet connected, relationship with both each other and their fat
Erin Emily
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Like a bloated corpse in water, Sharla’s mind spoke up nastily, and her brain flashed the image of her mother’s dead face—pale, scribbled with tendrils of mucky hair, eyes staring up with an expression that her ten-year-old mind had associated immediately with dread.”

Mike Thorn captures the essence of his characters so well in such a short space that his stories often yield the same satisfaction as reading an entire novel. The sibling dynamic in this collection’s first story plays o
Tammy
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: I loved the moody, dangerous quality of these stories, but both endings left me confused.

Demain Publishing’s Short Sharp Shocks! is a series of short horror fiction by various authors, and I was recently offered a review copy of their most recent release by Mike Thorn. Dreams of Lake Drukka & Exhumation is a collection of two short horror stories, qreview.The
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
This book is comprised of two short stories.

The first is called Dreams of Lake Drukka and reminds me of someone making a deal with the devil and it was now time to pay the price.  It is a little creepy but was well written but definitely could have been developed into a longer tale.  Of the two stories, I preferred this one.

The second is called Exhumation.  This is one bizarre story!  I'm not even sure how to describe it but let's just say that Abel is "forced" to remembe
Bri
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: from-author, ebooks
Thank you to the author, Mike Thorn, for giving me the opportunity to read his two new short stories. I read Mike Thorn’s Darkest Hours and LOVED it. I couldn’t wait to read his future work so this was a treat.

The first story, Dreams of Lake Drukka, was definitely my favorite one of the two. It was suspenseful and intriguing. The family’s secrets were juicy enough to keep me entertained and wanting to know more. The ending of the story was a bit disappointing and felt rushed.

The
Sep 27, 2019
Adam Selby-Martin
is currently reading it
Oct 21, 2019
Mike Thorn is the author of Darkest Hours and Dreams of Lake Drukka & Exhumation. His fiction has appeared in numerous magazines, anthologies and podcasts, including Dark Moon Digest, The NoSleep Podcast, Turn to Ash and Tales to Terrify. His film criticism has been published in MUBI Notebook, The Film Stage, The Seventh Row, Bright Lights Film Journal and Vague Visages. He completed his M.A. with a major in English literature at the University of Calgary, where he wr ...more