Start by marking “Dead Ringer (Gaslamp Gothic #5)” as Want to Read:
Dead Ringer (Gaslamp Gothic #5)

Dead Ringer

(Gaslamp Gothic #5)

A poisonous secret.
A terrifying curse.
And a client she’d just as soon see dead in a ditch….

Summer 1889. Harrison Fearing Pell hoped for adventure when she signed on with the Society for Psychical Research as an occult investigator. Slogging through New York’s sewers in pursuit of a “mud man” wasn’t exactly what she had in mind. But the reeking monster terrorizing the dance
Published December 13th 2019 by Acorn

Start your review of Dead Ringer (Gaslamp Gothic #5)
Alyssa
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book I’ve read in the Gaslamp Gothic series and I must admit, it’s easily becoming one of my favourites. I adored A Bad Breed and The Necromancer’s Bride and my feelings toward Dead Ringer are no different.

James Moran has been one of my favourite characters of the series by far. Despite being the number one crime lord of the city, he was just so damn adorable. The way he would flirt with Harry (who was having absolutely none of his boyish charm) had me grinning like an idiot
E.P.
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Dead Ringer," the 5th book in the Gaslamp Gothic series, returns to New York and the adventures of Harrison Fearing Pell and John Weston. This time, Harry's frighteningly clever sister Myrtle has been laid up after an attack. The aftermath of this leads to Harry making a deal with James Moran, New York's criminal mastermind and Myrtle's archnemesis.

The series switches back and forth between Europe and New York, with a revolving cast of viewpoint characters. This time all the action takes place
Laura P.
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh boy! This book! THIS BOOK!

PEAKY BLINDERS MEETS FINAL DESTINATION! Nope, I can't elaborate on that--spoiler, spoiler! What I can tall you is that this might well be my favorite in the series (at least so far).

I was charmed by the enigmatic Mr. Moran since it was first introduced in The Daemoniac (you can read my review here and I couldn't wait to see him again and in Dead Ringer, finally---FINALLY WE GET MORE OF A GLIMPSE OF THE CHARMING CRIME LORD.

Of course I was also glad to see Harry
Stephanie Jane (Literary Flits)
See more of my book reviews on my blog, Literary Flits

Dead Ringer is the first Kat Ross novel I've read so immediately I can say that, although it is the fifth in its series, the story works very well as a standalone! (On the strength of it I have now got myself the first Gaslamp Gothic book, The Daemoniac, so I can start to catch up on the rest of the series.) Dead Ringer is set in late 1880s New York and I loved this historical aspect which fitted surprisingly comfortably with the paranormal
Stephanie
In New York City, 1889 there exists a special unit, theSociety for Psychical Research which handles cases of the paranormal variety. Harrison Pell and John Weston are currently investigating a case of a mud man that has attacked and scared many residents in the Tenderloin district. While chasing down a golem in New York's sewer system is not exactly what Harrison relishes, she is glad to have cracked the case for the SPR. Harrison is much more interested in the strangedeaths of Columbia students ...more
Kathryn
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read these out of order, but they are still delightful. Dead Ringer finds us in New York where Harry and John work for the American Society for Psychical Research and are absolutely not supposed to be looking into cases of identical spectres showing up across the city when 3 different men die. They are *supposed* to be working on a case of a golem living in the sewers that comes out and terrorizes people. However, as usual Harry is too clever for her own good and realizes how the cases meet. ...more
Christa Yelich-Koth
Couldn’t flip the pages fast enough!

So happy to see Harry and John again! I literally whipped through the pages of this book in one night. Kat Ross has done it again!
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What does Jewish lore have to do with the Germanic folk legend of doppelgangers? Find out in Dead Ringer, fifth in Kat Ross' Gaslamp Gothic series.

Dead Ringer rejoins Harrison Fearing Pell and Jonathan Weston of the American branch of the SPR. The pair are tasked with solving a case involving a 'mud man' attacking people and retreating into the sewers. So far, the attacks have only resulted in scares, but no serious harm. Harry's beginning to think the mud man is escalating his aggressive
Katherine Paschal
Come visit me at
If you have not read the series yet, still feel free to pick this title up to begin with. That is the nice thing about most of the books in the series, the mystery aspect is able to be read alone, without any backstory. If you want character development, start from the beginning and read all the books, but if you just want a good paranormal mystery, feel free to red them as you see fit.

I loved that this had so much going on in it, be it personal drama to multiple paranormal
Sharon
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
What an exciting and unusual read about metaphysical detectives in the late 1800s filled with monsters, witches, and doppelgangers.

Harrison "Harry" Fearing Pell and her partner John Weston work for the American Society for Psychical Research who assist London's Ninth Detective Division, otherwise known as the Night Squad specializing in bizarre cases. The case of the mud man who is terrorizing unsuspecting Londoners, unfortunately, lives in the sewers where we meet Harry and John. While they
Lelia Taylor
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: full-reviews
When I first picked up this book, I was confused because the main characters and the setting seemed so familiar but “Gaslight Gothic” did not. I soon realized that I had indeed met Harry and her family and friends before; the series name had changed from “Dominion” to “Gaslight Gothic”. I’ve been delighted to spend time with these charming folks again. I also like the way the author mixes and matches various characters throughout the series so we don’t always see the same ones.

Harry is off on
Diane Hernandez
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-tour
Paranormal private detectives Harry and John are forced to look for a “Mud Man” who reeks of the sewers in 1889 NYC. (If he smells like the sewers, are we sure he is made of mud? Dang, those Victorians were so polite!) While the Mud Man is just terrorizing citizens, other people are seeing Dead Ringers of the recently deceased. Were their deaths really accidents? If so, how do the dopplegangers know when to appear? Or are they caused by supernatural means?

It is nice to read a tale that so
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader

What can I say, another home run from Kat Ross. I started off on the Tour for Bad Breed and the Necromancer’s Bride, so here I am at number five in this series with Dead Ringer. I have to say this one is so completely different from the last two, I mean the supernatural elements are there, but this one I loved for different reasons.

This book was not the passionate love story with a side of mystery, instead, it was a bit reversed. It was the focus of a
Haddie
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Better late than never

Kat Ross' Gaslamp Gothic series just continues to excel my expectations. If you enjoy Sherlock Holmes or even the Jackaby novels by William Ritter, you will definitely LOVE Dead Ringer. The use of Jewish folklore and Germanic legends, mixing with the paranormal phenomenon is brilliant. The story and characters leave you with page-turning suspense. Ms. Ross' take on 1880's New York City really draws you in. Harrison and James are just so amazing. The world-building is any
Meaghan Hurn
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dead Ringer has the feel of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde combined with Sherlock Holmes. Throw in some references to Peaky Blinders and you've got this book nailed.

Dead Ringer is book 5 in the Gaslamp Gothic Series. I have not read the previous books and I was able to jump right in with little confusion. I enjoyed the friendship and working chemistry between Harry and John, they work together seamlessly and without John I don't believe Harry would be able to find solutions.

I
Harley Wylde
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dead Ringer has the feel of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde combined with Sherlock Holmes. I found the story to be well-written, and the characters were very three dimensional. Harry, in particular, was entertaining. I loved that she was such a strong woman, especially for that time period. It was my first time reading this author, but I think I may be hooked.

If you like historical books that also have mystery, suspense, action and all the other ingredients for a
United Indie Book Blog
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love James and his interactions with Harry. I was grinning like crazy with his flirting with her.
This is packed full of mystery and thrillers. Fantastic read and I will grab the rest
Julia Smith
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it but didn't love it

I've been reading the Gaslamp series by this author and I've loved every one except this one. I liked it, though. It's interesting but I didn't find it as riveting as the others. Not that it's bad! I did enjoy it, but didn't feel it was the same caliber as the others.
S.K. Gregory
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy Kat Ross' books. I love the setting and Harry is a great character. I have read several books in the series and they never disappoint. Think Sherlock Holmes meets the supernatural. Highly recommended.
Jasmine
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review coming soon!
Arwen
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
- I received this book free thoughXpresso Book Tours.

If the X-Files were set in turn of the century New York Dead Ringer would make a great episode.

I'm not much of a fan of mysteries, but Dead Ringer is a tension-building fast paced story that has enough of the fantasy elements, plus good characters that kept me interested.

The whole Gaslamp Gothic series is very moody. The dark streets of the seedier parts of New York can practically be felt (I was just glad I couldn't actually smell the
Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
Dead Ringer is #5 in the Gaslight Gothic series, proving once again that Kat Ross has the writing chops to go the distance. I hopped on the review tour initially for A Bad Breed and then The Necromancer's Bride and here I am with Dead Ringer. While A Bad Breed and The Necromancer's Bride are a slight detour in the series, following different characters and readable as a stand-alone, Dead Ringer is back with Harry.

Read more at Cats Luv Coffee
Garrett Olinde
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice breezy story. I like the descriptions of Old New York.
Lindsey Peyton
Susan
Jan 16, 2020
diana binion
Feb 20, 2020

• The Diseased Ones (The Hollis Timewire Series, #1)
  • The Base of Reflections (Tomorrow's Ancestors, #2)
  • Lost Girl: A Shelby Day Novel
  • Haskell Himself
  • The Museum of Second Chances (Tomorrow's Ancestors, #1)
  • Josephine: Singer Dancer Soldier Spy
  • The Grace Year
  • Blue Christmas (Lord & Lady Hetheridge, #6)
  • You Too?
  • Smailholm
  • The Last Vampire
  • Wicked Hour (Heirs of Chicagoland, #2)
  • Blood & Ash (The Jezebel Files, #1)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Death Retires (Death Retired, #1)
  • The German Fleet at War, 1939-1945
  • The Royal Navy's Revenge and Other Little-Known Encounters of the War At Sea
  • The Official Chronology of the U.S. Navy in World War II
I've always loved to read more than anything in the world, especially so-called genre stories—mysteries, fantasy, sci-fi, thrillers, horror. I like books that take you by the hand and lead you out of the mundane. That ease back the curtain and show you the wondrous and dark and unexpected lurking just around the next corner. I worked in journalism for a long time before I returned to writing ...more

Gaslamp Gothic (5 books)
  • The Daemoniac (Gaslamp Gothic #1)
  • The Thirteenth Gate (Dominion Mysteries, #2)
  • A Bad Breed (Gaslamp Gothic, #3)
  • The Necromancer's Bride (Gaslamp Gothic, #4)