Start by marking “French Women Don't Sleep Alone: Pleasurable Secrets to Finding Love” as Want to Read:
French Women Don't Sleep Alone: Pleasurable Secrets to Finding Love

French Women Don't Sleep Alone: Pleasurable Secrets to Finding Love

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  430 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Did you know that French women don't date? American women have been missing out on a few secrets when it comes to the opposite sex. French women believe that the gift for attracting men has nothing to do with beauty, work, or even motivation. There are no Rules. And they don't listen to Dr. Phil's advice. They don't worry about the care and feeding of their boyfriend. And ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Citadel

To ask other readers questions about French Women Don't Sleep Alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about French Women Don't Sleep Alone

Carmen
Apr 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Absolutely No One
You have a right to be moody. You are ze woman. He is ze man. You are passionate! You have ze problem with that?! Reclaim your right to be a woman, to be moody and capricious and emotional. Life is a whole lot more fun when you're not trying to act sane all the time!

There is so much wrong with this terrible, sexist book. I'm desperately trying to find anything good to say about this, let's start with that. I feel like I should apologize to Mireille Guiliano. Even though I gave her last book one
Tiffany
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
French women don't date--they dine with mixed group of friends. They maintain "secret gardens" and wear boots with skirts, and know the correct ratio of bra-to-underwear. People keep reviewing this book like it's supposed to be a manual of orthodoxy whereas I'm pretty sure the author meant it as a light, enjoyable read. So just get down and enjoy it people, I mean really really really enjoy.

Here's a few extra items I learned in my twenties when I lived in Paris:

1) A ring on your fourth finger is
Sarah Brown towles
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Light and easy, makes you feel good about yourself
Marta
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm not in mood for a long and deep review so quick summery:

First I didn't really like it, I only read how perfect, and intelligent, and seductive French women are, with no exceptions…and how all men fall for them. Good so far, but what disturbed me was that the behaviour described in the book was related (only)to French people, and though the advices were good but in a different country some of the advices would be useless. French have a pretty unique mentality so it's difficult to be like a Fr
Vira
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute and light book to read! Loved the author's point of view on French women, I have exactly the same and this is why it was so pleasant for me to read it! Moreover, it has so many good ideas in it and I bet, I became more feminine after reading it. In our world of equality women should stay feminine, I am sure ☺ ...more
Erin
Jun 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is very fun and light, and inspires confidence. Simple tips on how to enjoy your life and bask in your own allure, as well as some delicious sounding recipes. It's a great read, especially as a palate-cleanser if you have perhaps been reading back-to-back books about suffering in Africa.
Jane Baker
I read this really to just understand French women better. I really enjoyed reading this. It made me feel really good about being a women and just looking good and taking care of yourself for you.
Lili
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I originally read this book in February 2009, shortly after it was first released, but I wasn't a Goodreads member at the time. When I started a food blog in mid-July 2016, I thought I should re-read the book because I remembered there being a significant section about the magic of dinner parties. I was right, but there was so much more that I was glad that I invested the time in rediscovering this gem. Not that the book was a significant time investment - I read it from cover to cover with time ...more
LemontreeLime
It's a quick read, surprising since the subject matter is one of the most inscrutable in the entire world. What IS it about french women. It seems to be 2 parts this and 3 parts that, and totally unreproducible. The book touches on all sorts of things, and in a kaleidoscopic mirror way may give a reflection of an idea of a french woman may sort of resemble. But that's just it, if you could ultimately define it, the mystery would be gone. What the book does say over and over again (and which i ag ...more
Kate
Jun 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I did not like this book, at first. The first few chapters were slow and did not hook me at all, but I kept going. I do get annoyed when authors directly mention other books in their genre as this author did. It just bothers me! I'm reading *your* book, not theirs, I'm getting to their *later* so tell me what *you* have to say! The cooking section, with recipes, felt silly to me. There was a point to be made for sure, but I did not enjoy how it was done.
However! This book, in the end, is so wond
Mary
Jan 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: love-and-dating
Oh, dear... why did they have to follow the French women theme?? This book has absolutely nothing to do with French women, but more about what a self-assured, confident, and composed woman would do in her own life. The recipes are ridiculous! If you want French cooking, get yourself acquainted with Julia Child. And the vocabulary is kind of ridiculous in places. Coterie? "Marriage a la Mode"?? Thank heavens I can return this to the library...
Debbi Weiss
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
French Women Don't Sleep Alone ~ I enjoyed this book. I agreed with MOST of what she said. The French women have a more casual way of dating and being prepared for chance meetings is a way of life for them. It's less stressful because you are not put on the spot every time you're interested in someone. The other thing is that their style of courting and dating gives the woman self confidence that many American women don't have. My French friend has many of this book's traits.
Beáta
Feb 14, 2016 rated it liked it
As I'm interested in intercultural communication and different cultures, I found it interesting. My conclusion is that French culture differs from not only American but Hungarian culture, as well. The American author's grandmother was French and she was mysterious for her that's why she wanted to know more about French women. She talked to many French women about their tricks and secrets and finally wrote this book.
Mary Alexandra
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-love
The thing I liked and learned most from this book is that American women believe on wearing sexy lingerie, good perfume, and etc only on special occasions. Whereas the French women believe every day, every moment is a special occasion. And so why don't we deserve to wear sexy lingerie and good perfume every day? So I've taken the hint and have done so, and now I feel even more beautiful and confident! I suggest in everybody else doing so, and this way we can live life to it's fullest.
Ginger
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Not the greatest self-help book--my friend has a theory that it was really authored by Juanita Nonuttin, but very charming, entertaining fluff read. Extra star for helping me justify my shopping habit: I'm not frivolous with money; I'm just passionate on spending it on things I love to pamper myself like any good French woman does.
Kim
Jul 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
A quick and easy read, with surprisingly specific information about what French women presumably "do differently" than American women. I found the ideas intriguing.
Denise
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cultural-france
Interesting read on the culture of France from a woman's perspective.
Alicia Davis
Jun 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Great little quick read and funny too.
Victoria H.
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it

I love this book. It's a wonderful pool/ocean-side read because it inserted a healthy dose of self love into me. And what girl doesn't deserve that? Good positive read!
Lisa
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Similar to "French Women Don't Get Fat", this is so much more than it's title. It's a biography of a lifestyle that all Americans should look into. Loved it!
Sophia
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book is French Women Don't Get Fat for love and romance -- down to recipes for amorous meals. Descended from a French grandmother, Jamie Cat Callan and a friend interview French men and women (as well as some French-American expats) to delineate the feminine wiles des Francaises which she glimsped growing up.

While some of the advice is intuitive -- cultivate self-confidence, maintain your own group of friends and independence -- it does sound better under the wrappings of being French and
Bloodorange
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a very quick (and unsubstantial) read, and it's really hard for me to imagine its target audience. While the author repeats , that in France "women of certain age" are still found attractive, and I can recall no tips or assertions considering young women exlusively, the ideas in the book (apart from two sections, on which later) are really basic, and exactly what I recall from teen mags when I was still young and promising;)

Main premises are as follows:

1. French women have their feminine
Bookworm
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Overall a disappointment. I thought this book would be more about romance in the general sense, rather than a dating types sort of ideal, but unfortunately not. Some of the observations and comparisons between the relationships men and women have in France vs. the US were interesting, but I wonder how much is stereotype and how much is legitimate. Perhaps it's best to take it all with a grain of salt, but some of the tips really aren't bad.

For instance, she talks about how men and women don't re
Mehmet Kır
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-2014
Jamie Cat Callan used very plain language in this book. This situation is a big advantage point of the book. The book starts with one French sentence: "Le mystére de la femme française c'est que son homme sait qu'il peut la perdre à tout moment".
Tips that are given by the author about relationship made it enjoyable.And then, the author make a comprasion between French women and American women. Also, she shows the expertise of French women about relationship than American women in the book. Good
Irene
The author's periodic need to say certain words or phrases in French drove me insane. Why is it necessary to say in French, "jardin secret" while using words like lingerie and coterie as if they were English words??!!! It drove me mad!

The only good thing this book did was provide examples things women can do to give themselves some self-love (good hair, a good piece of clothing, soft skin), that bolster self-esteem/confidence. That's about it.
Sheridan
May 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book really just reminds you how wonderful it is to be a woman. How soft, and pretty, and funny, and fun we can be if we let ourselves. Wonderful! The title is misleading because I didn't read it to find love. I am not looking! I read a review of the book and it seemed like it would be fun. And it was! I learned some good lessons. I shall apply quite a few of her suggestions - and was chuffed to realise that I already do do lots of these things :)
Sara
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was ok
It was fun, light-reading. However, the material here was enough for a single magazine article but was stretched out into a whole book. So of course there was a lot of repetition- space filler, it seemed.
Steve Cran
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
American men love international women, they are mysterious, exotic and alluring . The French women have this kind of allure and enchantment over all men who come into contact with them. How do they do it? They are much more interesting than American women and this book tells why.

This book was written by an AMerican woman who is an admirer of the French and has spent some time there. It is a guide for American women on how's to be seductive like French women are. While it is a book for women I th
Kerry
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Honestly, I'm glad this wasn't the first book of Callan's I read, or I probably wouldn't have read the others. This books promotes French women as essentially being perfect, while American women are portrayed as loud-mouthed, materialistic harpies who are so worried about getting a man, they will have desperation sex with an ex and then get depressed about it the morning after. French women are made out to be obsessed with matching lingerie and dinner parties and being sexy (but of course not as ...more
Tinka Beere
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unterhaltsam geschrieben und vielen Dingen kann ich aus eigener Erfahrung zustimmen. Es gibt einige Anreize, die ich bestimmt mal ausprobieren werde, allerdings bin ich zwiegespalten, ob mir das Buch einen zu sexistischen Touch hat oder einfach nur die Wahrheit ist, die man nicht leugnen kann 😅 Aber eines stimmt definitiv: Es gibt nichts, das mehr Erotik verströmt als Selbstbewusstsein 😉
  • All You Need to Be Impossibly French: A Witty Investigation into the Lives, Lusts, and Little Secrets of French Women
  • Entre Nous: A Woman's Guide To Finding Her Inner French Girl
  • Quiet Corners of Paris
  • French Women for All Seasons: A Year of Secrets, Recipes, and Pleasure
  • Joie de Vivre: Simple French Style for Everyday Living
  • My French Life
  • Stuff Parisians Like: Discovering the Quoi in the Je Ne Sais Quoi
  • The Joy of Doing Things Badly: A Girl's Guide to Love, Life and Foolish Bravery
  • City Chic: An Urban Girl's Guide to Livin' Large on Less
  • The Bombshell Manual of Style
  • La Seduction: How the French Play the Game of Life
  • New Garden Book
  • Beauty Confidential: The No Preaching, No Lies, Advice-You'll- Actually-Use Guide to Looking Your Best
  • Truth, Lies, and the Single Woman: Dispelling 10 Common Myths
  • Simply Irresistible: Unleash Your Inner Siren and Mesmerize Any Man, with Help from the Most Famous - and Infamous - Women in History
  • Paris: An Inspiring Tour of the City's Creative Heart
  • Walks in Hemingway's Paris: A Guide to Paris for the Literary Traveler
  • Forever Paris: 25 Walks in the Footsteps of the City's Most Illustrious Figures
Jamie Cat Callan latest book, Parisian Charm School will be released from Penguin Random House in January 2018. She is the author of "Bonjour, Happiness!" and the wildly successful "French Women Don't Sleep Alone." Inspired by her beautiful and elegant French grandmother, Jamie has traveled all over France, interviewing hundreds of women to uncover their secrets to simple, authentic pleasures, inc ...more
More about Jamie Cat Callan...