Start by marking “Motley Education” as Want to Read:

Motley Education

Motley Junior High: School for the Psychically and Celestially Gifted
Terms of Enrollment
Signed: Ebony Charmed

Ebony should be excited about entering sixth grade to further develop her skills. And she would be. If only her lame abilities let her see more than three ghosts.

Struggling to live up to her gifted family, Ebony is horrified when she is branded a Seeker: someone
Published September 10th 2019 by Ellysian Press (first published October 10th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Motley Education, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Motley Education

Start your review of Motley Education
Sherwood Smith
In this lively middle-grade fantasy, Ebony Charmed thinks she is defective, and that all the other kids at her special middle school for mages have great powers but her.

Yet she is able to speak by sign language to some spirits in the local graveyard, and weird things keep happening to her. She thinks she’s at fault, especially as her parents have separated.

The only person who listens to her is her best bud Fleishman, but he doesn’t believe in magic. Until magic sweeps them both into a succession
Chess Desalls
Magical MG, great for fans of Harry Potter and The School for Good and Evil. While reading, I kept thinking about how much imagination and research of Norse mythology went into this. Everything was so vividly described. Enjoyed!
Kai Strand
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
Adventure, mystery, and mythology work together to make this middle grade novel an exciting read. Ebony Charmed hasn’t discovered her talents yet. Things start to go askew but when she’s given a stick for a school project the mayhem escalates. Then she loses it just as she realizes its importance. With support from her best friend, Fleishman, and a new friend, Lance, Ebony is able to discover not only her gifts, but find the all important stick and save a world or two. The tie-in with mythology ...more
Shari
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an adventure full of humor, heart and horror! I'm always in awe of writers who can do world-building well and S. A. Larsen's MOTLEY EDUCATION is incredibly imaginative and inventive. Kids in upper elementary will love this!
Theresa Milstein
This book is a great mix of creepy, clever, and mystery. I like Ebony for her attitude that makes her endearing and also seems to keep getting her in trouble. And Fleishman is her patient, level-headed friend. He was my favorite character, I think. What I liked amidst all the supernatural activity is that Ebony and Fleishman felt like typical kids. The further I got into the book, the more invested I became. I won't give away any spoilers. I will say that the end worked well, but seemed to leave ...more
Kathleen Burkinshaw
Medeia Sharif
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This middle grade novel grabs the reader instantly and takes her on an adventurous, paranormal ride. Ebony is a sympathetic character you'll want to side with as she goes on a spiritual quest to save others, save her school project, and learn more about herself. I hope to read a lot more from this author.
C. McKenzie
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a middle grade novel that entertained me, and I'm far from being a middle grade reader. It has all the elements that kids (including me) love: lots of creep factor, secrets and adventure of the paranormal kind. You'll enjoy Ebony's determination and her journey on self-discovery.
Erin Cashman
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This middle grade fantasy is a perfect fall read! MOTLEY EDUCATION features a great friendship, wonderful world building, mythology and page turning adventure – I highly recommend it!
Rebecca J.
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Any book that opens in a dark and creepy cemetery with hints of paranormal goings on is a winner from the get-go for me.

Ebony Charming is a sixth grader at Motley Junior High—School for the Psychically & Celestially Gifted. That’s all I’d have to know to grab up this book—seriously, the school’s name alone caught my attention. For fans of books like the Harry Potter series, this series is a charming and fun alternative. Don’t get me wrong—there is plenty of suspense, lots of scary moments,
Sophie
Jul 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'd hoped I would like this book since there was Norse mythology in it but... Nope, not at all. All the time reading it I tried getting into the story but I just couldn't. I didn't care about the characters, it felt really like a typical story you've read again and again. There wasn't any kind of surprise or twist and I wish I could have liked this book because it really seemed interesting but I was bored the entire book.
Beverly McClure
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you enjoy visiting new worlds? Do you like to meet creatures and people that you might see in a spooky movie? Would you like to attend a school where the students all have special abilities that go way beyond being a scientific genius (though they could be that too), or a whiz at math? “Yes,” you say. Then you’ve come to the right place. First of all, one look at the book cover will arouse your curiosity. What kind of hand is that? And the birds in the background hint at something sinister ...more
Jen Selinsky
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Junior high student, Ebony Charmed, has enough problems of her own. Her parents have seperated, she's being bullied in school, and her teachers think she is nothing but a great disappointment. Since she attends the School for the Psychically & Celestially Gifted, everyone thinks that Ebony should try harder. Things get even more complicated as Ebony is handed a single stick to complete an important school assignment. She then slowly discovers some shocking secrets about her lineage. Ebony, ...more
Samantha
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ebony Charmed seems to have less-than-average abilities at Motley Junior High: School for the Psychically and Celestially Gifted. All of her projects seem to go awry. Her mom and dad are fighting. Life in sixth grade is tough. Good thing she has Fleishman, her GTG (go-to-guy) to keep her in a good mood, as well as three spirit friends that she communicates with in sign language. When one of her school projects goes missing, Ebony has to learn to trust in herself and her abilities to save her ...more
Carolyn V
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved reading this book! MOTLEY EDUCATION, Author S. A. Larsen’s brings this world to life. Middle grade readers will really enjoy this story of Ebony and her friend Fleishman. This book holds mystery, humor, and mystery. I recommend this read to anyone who loves paranormal lined with twists and turns. This book was a page turner from the start and a fun read!
Wendy MacKnight
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
This book is creepy, thrilling fun. Secrets swirl around Ebony Charmed - at home, at school, in her town of Peru, Maine, and we are sucked in from the first page, wanting to learn what's really going on. This book is clever, the characters are three dimensional, the stakes are high and scary good fun, and there are plenty of plot twists to satisfy a middle grader!
Literary Classics Book Awards & Reviews
Ebony has very real issues. She attends Motley Junior High: School for the Psychically and Celestially Gifted. But she often finds it difficult to channel her spiritual energy which doesn't bode well for her grades in school. It would suffice to say she's no star-student. Her parents are disappointed with her and now that her dad has moved out she can't help but wonder if she's to blame. But when a school project goes missing Ebony's issues escalate to monumental proportions. She soon learns ...more
Connie Huddleston
Just try to imagine a School for the Psychically and Celestially Gifted; that’s the realm of Motley Middle School. If you think that might be saying a lot in one description, you are correct. But wait until you meet Ebony. She’s not a great student, dresses weirdly, has only one true “live” friend (he has his own hangups), and several dead ones at the nearby cemetery. To say her family and her home are a bit strange is definitely saying too little. Just wait until you see what she does (or does ...more
Cat
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun ride of a story! These are my favorites; ones with lots of supernatural critters, magic, and kids. I loved the the first two Harry Potter books, Inkheart, Magick, Miss Peregrine, and so many others! It's frustrating being a kid, especially staring at 10 or 11 for most of us. Everything is hurry up and wait! Grown ups are sooo frustrating! I am sure this book will have found it's audience pretty quickly in the 10-13 year old age group by now! It's that good!
I received a Kindle ARC from
Wensday
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
For those fans of Norse mythology, this is a great read. Those not familiar with Norse mythology will still enjoy this book. The story moves along quickly and the next thing you know it’s the end of the book. It seemed a little open-ended, so I'm hoping there are more books to follow.

I received the ebook from NetGalley for my honest review.

Casey Lyall
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Looking for a creepy read with lots of cool world building? MOTLEY EDUCATION is the book for you! Ebony Charmed is working on her spirit tracking abilities, trying to survive 6th grade, and dealing with problems at home. Saving the entire spirit world should be NDB on top of all that, right? A great middle grade full of adventure. Fingers crossed for more!
Scott
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This fun mashup of spookiness and Norse myth, with a dash of steampunk, is an exciting adventure, full of twists and turns and intense battles, with excellent writing to guide the reader through the branches of Yggdrasil.
L.M. Preston
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a ride! My son and I read this and couldn't stop turning the pages together. Suspense, lots of visually stimulating scenes. Ebony Charmed was a great character that had a strong voice where she bought the reader into the adventures at and around Motley Junior High. Her friend Fleishman is a good support character for Ebony who has to go through to save her project and our world as we know it. This was a well developed and entertaining story.
Lisa Schmid
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a good mystery with a paranormal twist and this book does not disappoint! The characters are well-developed, the story is clever, and there are just enough surprises to make you gasp with delight. Middle-grade readers looking for a fresh dose of magic will love this book! Scary good fun!
Daniel Giroux-Pare
May 13, 2017
S.M. Parker
Sep 18, 2017
Theresa
Oct 06, 2019
David Boiani
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exciting, adventurous journey to new worlds and magical beasts, Motley education is every bit as entertaining as the Harry potter series. I loved reading about the world that S.A Larson created, along with the quirky, interesting characters. Not sure if this will be a series moving forward, but I would look forward to more of these adventures. Perfect for children in the middle grades...
Troy Mccombs
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first starting reading this, I kept getting sleepy. But that is not a reflection of the book, it's because of the genre. I tend to shy away from fantasy. After reading Lord of the Rings, I've always been leery of fantasy--but that's just me (LOTR bored the heck outta me). I'm a horror guy who also likes drama and coming-of-age tales (which this one kind of is). I don't know. Fantasy, I guess, just isn't my cup of tea.

The writing, from beginning to end, flows very well, chock-full of
Molly Cushing
Jun 25, 2017

• The Peculiar Incident on Shady Street
S.A. Larsen is an award-winning author,childhood apraxia of speech advocate, and Maine-iac ice hockey fan, who haswatched more hockey games than she could ever count. She also has a soft spotfor the strange and misunderstood, which might explain her love for dippingplain chips in ketchup. Her favorite stories push the boundaries of our worldand open harbored emotions to inspire and challenge the ...more