Start by marking “The Last Question” as Want to Read:
The Last Question

The Last Question

The last question was asked for the first time, half in jest, on May 21, 2061, at a time when humanity first stepped into the light. The question came about as a result of a five dollar bet over highballs, and it happened this way ...
Audio CD, 9 pages
Published November 2007 by Ziggurat Productions (first published November 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Question, please sign up.
Samira Elytess
This story tells us an enigma. We are the creator and the creation at the same time.

As humans evolve, they become "God" or Creator.
Each story shows…more

As humans evolve, they become "God" or Creator.
Each story shows humans evolution in increments.
( We evolve from flesh and blood to disembodied mind/energy/nano-tech particle cyborgs)

First story, humans are on Earth.
Second story, humans are in Space.
Third story, humans are outside of the Galaxy.
Fourth story, humans got rid of their bodies and are Minds.As disembodied individuals each of them have retained their personality or identity.
Fifth story,all individual minds lose their identity as they merge and form "GOD" or the Cosmic AC computer

The cycle of life starts all over again when the computer=God=Merged Individual Minds, manifests itself in the universe as big bang:"Let there be light"
In which, time, space, and life is created and entropy starts all over again.Thus, the cyclical pattern of the universe continues and so does humans' saga.

The question is: Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Cosmic AC/God or humans inventing the Cosmic AC/God?
Are we trapped in a computer glitch that with each big bang birth we all play the same story plots?

It helps to have mystical and transhumanisim backgrounds to understand the story.(less)

Muneel Zaidi
What's the point in giving you a summery for a 4,000-word short story? So here's what I'll do instead: I'll give you a lesson in physics. Sound good? Cool. Ever hear of the second law of thermodynamics? Yes? But you have no clue what it means? Okay, well we can work with that. Here's what Wikipedia has on the subject:
The second law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of an isolated system never decreases, because isolated systems spontaneously evolve towards thermodynamic equilibrium—the
Tyler Bair
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi

JUST GOOGLE IT AND READ IT!!! A very quick 15 minute read and easily one of the best sci-fi short stories I've ever read. Whatever their literary tastes, anyone is capable of thoroughly enjoying this great work by one of the greatest sci-fi authors of all time! The last two sentences will leave your mind more blown than
a Chippendales stripper
anything in or remotely involved with a film directed by Michael Bay
Lindsey Lohan’s stockpile of cocaine
the proportions of human stupidity
the candles on a
Wilier
Este cuento o relato corto me ha dejado perplejo, no solo por la cantidad de ciencia ficción y geekismo que posee si no también en un sentido filosófico...

¿En que momento dejaremos de existir como humanidad y que podemos hacer para evitarlo?

Bajo este premisa se desarrolla toda la historia con un final que te deja la boca abierta y la mente ocupada por varios días. Te preguntas si es posible que ese final sea factible y si no nosotros como raza estamos tan locos como para hacer eso y la verdad e
Adrian
It’s Asimov, it’s a classic golden age SF short story, it’s original with so much packed into so few pages and just maybe it’s prophetic.
I don’t often split out a particular story from a “best of “ or other compendium of short stories, but this is just so iconic that I’ve rated it as a separate entity
Franco  Santos
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesante explicación del origen del universo. No puedo decir mucho más de lo que pienso porque sería spoiler, pero muy interesante historia.
Komal
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mind blown in 5 pages.

I've never wondered so deeply about the walks of our universe in 22 years of my life as much as I have in the span of barely fifteen minutes, which began with me opening this story and ended with me finishing it.

There is no proper review for me to provide to do justice to a book this short-lived and astounding.
Read it and you'll know it.
Pooja
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-novels
" THERE IS YET INSUFFICIENT VOCABULARY TO MAKE A MEANINGFUL REVIEW OF THIS SHORT-STORY. "

Heck, what enormous stuffs people are capable of thinking!!

And only thing in my mind now is :

Belén
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Estaba segura que odiaba la ciencia ficción... hasta hoy.
George
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
The only question worth asking.
Kels
Our Sun will support life for billions of years, but what happens when it burns out? Perhaps future technology will enable us to seek out the safety of distant stars and habitat new planets, but then eventually those stars will die too. So is life as we know it, and all of mankind, destined to be doomed? Is it possible to reverse entropy?

This short story starts off in the year 2061 (keep in mind this was written in 1956) and follows the evolution of man and the subsequent advancement of techno
Denisse
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hardcore Science Fanatics
Yes. When you want to actually think on what you are reading, pick this short story. Isaac Asimov was a genious, oh yhea. Science "Fiction" in its most perfect example.

Santo Dios
Jesús en la Cruz!
Santo niño de atocha!
Ave Maria Purisima!
Mas todas las exclamaciones que se te puedan ocurrir (Insertar aquí).

Lean este relato. Solo léanlo y ya. No pregunten, no digan nada. Solo háganlo. Un sumamente interesante relato sobre el hombre, la maquina, la mente, el universo y la entropia.
(view spoiler)
HaMiT
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
خاکستر درختان را نمیشود دوباره به درختان تبدیل کرد، ولی از آن خاکستر میشود برای رشد گیاه تازه استفاده کرد
این ارتباط، قابل تعمیم به اکثر رابطه ها در جهان است
انسان ناموفق سعی میکند با تولید مثل، انسانی موفق وارد دنیا کنند
انسانهای مرده دوباره زنده نمیشوند، ولی از افکار صحیح آنها استفاده میشود تا زندگی انسانهای زنده بهتر شود
نظریه های منسوخ شده باعث ایجاد نظریه های جدیدتر و بهتر شدند
انسان تا جایی که توانست مذاهب و خدایان را به روز رسانی کرد
خدایان و مذاهب ابتدایی ناقص بودند و از بین رفتند و گذشت و گذش
Stiven Salazar
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me dejo realmente sorprendido, Asimov es un GENIOOOOOO...... Ese final me dejo con la boca abierta, solo asimov podría considerar y crear algo de tal magnitud en tan pocas páginas..... me encanto
Sindhuja
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A review of this tale will not make sense for three reasons:

1) The unfolding of a certain twist in this short story is done with the last few words of this ~4000 word long story.
2) A review of any form will sweeten the pill - the crux of what Asimov is trying to get at.
3) Two is a reason in the first place because, it's simply impossible to describe this tale without giving away spoilers.

So read this after you read 'The Last Question'.
That said, I can give you this: This tale leaves room for
Ben
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing

edit: new link provided from a below comment

great read.
Foad
آسیموف اطلاعات زیادی در مورد عهد عتیق و کلاً امور دینی داره (یک تفسیرگونه ای هم بر عهد عتیق نوشته) و یکی از دغدغه هاش امور دینی و ماورائیه. همینه که فرق میذاره مثلاً بین داستان های علمی تخیلی آسیموف و داستان های علمی تخیلی ژول ورن. ژول ورن جز همان که داره می گه چیز دیگه ای نمی خواد بگه. حرف پنهانی، نکته مستوری، اشاره ای به چیزی. خبری از این ها نیست. ولی آسیموف گهگاه، دقت که بکنید، داره راجع به یه چیزی حرف می زنه، چیزی غیر از همین داستان که پیش روی آدمه.

دو داستان "آخرین سؤال" و "آخرین جواب" ترکیب
Gorab Jain
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL REVIEW.

Manny
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Steinhardt and Turok's book Endless Universe spends a surprising amount of time discussing this classic SF short story. I think that tells us something both about Isaac Asimov and about the state of modern early-universe cosmology.
Fernando
¡Big Bang!
Hameed Younis
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
ما هو السؤال الأخير؟

دائماً أتذكر حكمة فولتير: «أحكم على الشخص من اسئلته لا من الأجوبة التي يقدمها»! لأن ورغم أن طرح الأسئلة يبدو سهلاً نسبياً، إلا إن بلورة السؤال عملية عسيرة وبالغة الصعوبة. لهذا يفتقر العالم اليوم للأسئلة الجيدة والجديدة، وكأن الأفق نضبت أفكاره، فلا توجد أسئلة عظيمة تزلزل ما كنّا نعتقده سابقاً، أو تصعقنا من الغفلة التي نعيش فيها.
منذ عشرين عاماً، والصحفي جون بروكمان يسأل كبار العلماء والفلاسفة اسئلة من نوع: «ما السؤال الذي تجده قد أختفى؟» و «ما الذي تعتقد أنه صحيحٌ بالرغم من صعو
Negar
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
عه این کتاب :-"
من نمی دونستم این داستان کوتاه به عنوان کتاب مستقل هم هست اینجا....

من به کل علمی تخیلی خوندن رو با کارهای آسیموف شروع کردم و قلمش رو خیلی دوست دارم. « شبانگاه » ـش هنوز بهترین داستان علمی تخلییه که خوندم و این هم بهترین داستان کوتاه.
فکر می کنم یه چیز حدود ده-بیست باری خونده باشمش. اولین بار دو سال پیش بود انگار، کتاب صوتیش رو گوش دادم و بعد از اون هم هر چند وقت یه باری برای یادآوری می رم سراغش.

از نظر جنبه ی اعتقادی، اینکه آسیموف میاد این مسئله رو که خدا ذهن ما رو به وجود میاره ی
Myat Thura Aung
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It gave me goosebumps. This is one of the most beautiful and thrilling short stories I've ever read. :')
Azumi
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutamente genialoso, un relato que te deja reflexionando y con un final al que le darías 1000 estrellas (ya sean enanas, rojas, supernovas....)
Muy recomendable.
Yasmin
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like my life has changed in the space of half an hour...
César Bustíos
"Todos los datos recogidos habían llegado al fin. No quedaba nada para recoger."

Una pregunta inevitable. Genio.

Bharath Thampi
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh I just love it when someone can eloquently point out how much capable we humans are of destroying ourselves with our obsessive self-love. No, not self-love maybe, but something comparable. A frantic desire to find answers to things that should be left alone. The mad will to live when living is less relevant as some other things.

"THERE IS INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER."

Perhaps this is really how everything will come to an end finally. Who knows....
♠ Eze ♠
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este tipo de lectura me plantea muchas preguntas y ganas de conversar.

Si el universo se va expandiendo constantemente, no podia la humanidad seguir ese camino de galaxias mas nuevas hasta el infinito? Asumiendo que es infinito.

No se forman naturalmente nuevas estrellas constantemente por todas las galaxias? No solo las de la direccion opuesta al big bang?
Alicia
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simplemente genial.
Juli
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Es un relato/cuento que se lee en un ratito.
Si no lo leyeron, DEBEN leerlo, ME VOLO la cabeza.
Me encanto.
Es simple, corto pero profundo a la vez. Es de esos cuentos que se deberían dar en las escuelas.
Ashley
Apr 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.4 stars. I would have given the story 4 stars if there had been less redundancies within. Overall a creative and thought-provoking story.
Goodreads Librari...: Combine Editions 2 16 Dec 01, 2017 02:40AM
EDCMOOC: The Last Question by Isaac Asimov - May's read for June 7th chat 14 44 Jul 05, 2014 01:54AM
  • They're Made Out of Meat
  • The Machine Stops
  • The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas
  • Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius
  • Ponies

Professor Asimov is generally considered one of the most prolific writers of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine o
“THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.” 63 likes
“—La entropía, pequeña, es una palabra que significa la cantidad de desgaste del Universo. Todo” 0 likes