Start by marking “Just an Ordinary Family” as Want to Read:
Just an Ordinary Family

Just an Ordinary Family

Liane Moriarty meets Jodi Picoult in this tensely negotiated story of family ties, betrayal and sacrifice.

Every family has its secrets...

Alice Hunter is smarting from the raw deal life has thrown her way: suddenly single, jobless and forced to move home to her parents' tiny seaside town. And now she faces an uncomfortable truth. She wants her twin sister Libby's enviable
Published February 24th 2020 by HQ Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Just an Ordinary Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just an Ordinary Family

Start your review of Just an Ordinary Family
Sharon
Just an Ordinary Family by Aussie author Fiona Lowe was a brilliant read which I couldn’t put down. A really great story about families, friends and secrets with characters that I came to love very quickly. I must admit I’ve only read one other book by this author (Home Fires) which I thoroughly enjoyed and I can’t wait to read more of her books.

This was a very enjoyable book which I LOVED and I have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone who enjoys a great read. With thanks to Netgalley
Mandy White
Earlier this year I read my first Fiona Lowe book - Home Fires. It was a deeply emotional book that I became so immersed it that I did not want it to end. So when given the opportunity to read another of this authors books I jumped at the chance. Just an Ordinary Family was a very different story, but still a character study. Once again I was caught up in the lives of this family and the small town. Fiona Lowe gets you so involved in her characters that you feel as if you are there and that you ...more
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

Just An Ordinary Family by Fiona Lowe. (2020).

**Thank you to Harlequin Australia for sending me a free advance readers copy of this novel; due to be published 24 February 2020**

Alice is suddenly single, jobless and living back at home with her parents in a tiny seaside town. And now she realises she wants her twin sister Libby's life...
Libby's best friend Jess has been around so long she might as well be family. She's always considered
Gloria Arthur
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-bookshelf
Just an Ordinary Family by Fiona Lowe

I was completely immersed reading this realistic and raw family saga

Alice and Libby Hunter are twins in their thirties. Alice finds herself single and unemployed and is forced to return back to her seaside hometown of Kurnai Bay, Victoria and move in with her parents Karen & Peter.

Twin Libby has the perfect husband Nick, two beautiful young daughters and she’s the small town’s doctor. Alice wonders why her life can’t be that perfect.

Jess has had a
Brenda
Twin sisters Libby and Alice Hunter had always been close – as twins usually are – but when Libby met Jess Dekic at thirteen and they became fast friends, Alice felt pushed to the background. Jess was a part of the Hunter family, but Alice felt like a third wheel. After a disastrous break up with her boyfriend of three years, Alice moved home to Kurnai Bay from Melbourne. Her grief and heartbreak took away her fragile confidence and she found herself once again living with her parents, feeling ...more
Marianne
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just An Ordinary Family is the fourth novel under the Australian Sagas banner by award-winning Australian author, Fiona Lowe. Thirty-three-year-old GP Libby Hunter has had, except for one tragic event, a charmed life. She’s happily married to the wonderful Nick Pirelli, has two beautiful daughters, a lovely home and a successful medical practice in the small summer tourist mecca of Kurnai Bay.

Alice Hunter is Libby’s slightly-younger, completely-unexpected twin. Alice has always lived somewhat
Carolyn
The family in this novel is ordinary in that every one of them is someone you might meet in your home town and strike up a casual conversation in the supermarket or local cafe. But even ordinary families have their tragedies and deep buried secrets and this family is no exception.

At the heart of the Hunter family are four very different women. Mother Karen, who overcame a difficult childhood to marry a good man and raise twin daughters, Libby and Alice. Libby is the strong confident twin who
Veronica ⭐️
*https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...
Since reading ‘Birthright’ Fiona Lowe has become one of my must read authors. She has the ability to write about family dramas without them becoming overly dramatised. The families she develops and their problems are relatable. They could be families you know or even your own family.

Just an Ordinary Family follows the Hunter family; Karen, Peter and their twin daughters Libby and Alice and Libby’s long time best friend Jess. Lowe’s characters are flawed;
Helen
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW this is a brilliant story, a story of family and friends, of love and hurts, secrets and truths, one that had me up very late last night finishing it, MS Lowe has gone deep into the characters feelings and emotions and showed us what can happen when things collapse, this is one that I highly recommend I do hope that you will come along for the journey with Karen, Alice, Libby and Jess, you are going to need tissues handy.

Karen Hunter is the mother of twins Libby and Alice they live in the
Fiona Lowe
Jan 02, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Dear Readers,

I wanted to take a few moments to tell you about JUST AN ORDINARY FAMILY, a novel about one family and a very close friendship.

I wrote this book, wanting to explore the themes of trust, betrayal and regret. To shine a light on how often we delude ourselves that our actions will only result in one specific outcome and that when we explain ourselves, others will understand and forgive.

This got me thinking about the types of forgiveness that different situations demand. Sometimes,
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘No one tells you that being a mother’s both exhilarating and terrifying.’

Four women, four very different stories. Karen Hunter is the mother of twins Libby and Alice. Even now they are both grown up, she wants to protect them. And there’s Jess Dekic, Libby’s closest friend. Closer to Libby than Alice, Jess has been around the Hunter family for so long that she’s considered family.

Alice returns to the tiny seaside town of Kurnai Bay after her relationship fails. She’s unemployed, and envies
Vivi Widodo
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I truly loved reading this book!!
There are four lead characters in this story
Alice, Libby, Jess, and Nick. I can say that Fiona presented all those characters very well, as I totally disliked the antagonist one (Jess) in the beginning, and feel totally sorry for Libby.
This book is about tangled toxic friendships and secrets in the family involving love, betrayal and forgiveness. Though the title is "Just An Ordinary Family", this story is EXTRAORDINARY, until i lose sleep reading this book.
Julie Garner
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, fiction
I received an ARC of this book.
As with Home Fires, I very quickly became addicted to this book and the devouring it quickly. As an author, Fiona Lowe is getting better and better at grabbing your attention quickly and keeping you wanting more until there is THE END....
Once again she looks at family dynamics and how a little tweak here, or a tiny incident there, can upset the apple cart and their worlds implode! The tale is set in a small coastal town in Eastern Victoria and we see it through the
Jodie Maree
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has to be the best book Fiona Lowe has written to date. From start to finish it had me hooked and invested in the characters and what was happening to them and their lives. It is a must read. I’m putting this book on my all time favorite list!!!
marlin1
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fiona Lowe has become a must read author for me.
This story is set in the small coastal town of Kurnai Bay. Centred around the Hunter Family, eldest daughter Libby is the local Doctor, happily married with two young daughters. Her twin sister Alice has recently returned home after a failed relationship in Melbourne. Their mother Karen despairs that Alice will never find her feet and get a ‘good’ job. But vague, dreamy Alice is learning to love herself and take control of her life. Also back into
Rachel
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Netgalley and Harlequin Australia for an Advanced copy of this book to review . My first book by Fiona Lowe and I will be reading her back catalogue and anything else she writes in the future . I just loved everything about this book . The writing style , plot and characters . It has me hooked from the start. Many little things to learn and think about from Fiona’s characters . A 5 star read !
Butcher's Wife Books
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Twins are supposed to have an unbreakable bond, sharing a closeness that cannot be compromised. Twins Alice and Libby seem to be an exception to the rule. Alice was always the sickly weaker twin and Libby frustrated at the patience she required. When rebellious Jess arrives at their small seaside town in their teenage years, Libby happily clings to a new exciting friendship, and Jess adopts herself into a functional, loving family that she never had.
When both Alice and Jess return to town as
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I simply adored Just an Ordinary Family! Twin sisters Alice and Libby are both navigating tricky times in their lives, and uncover a convoluted web of secrets and hidden truths along the way. The intricacy of the storyline along with well-developed characters are utterly compelling. Fiona Lowe clearly articulates the complexities of life, no matter how seemingly perfect they appear on the surface. This book certainly serves as a warning to readers that even the best kept secrets will never stay ...more
Ayesha
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Better Reading I was able to read an advance uncorrected proof copy: "Just an Ordinary Family" is anything but! A quite extraordinary family... I don't want to give away any spoilers, but it was a bit of a rear jerker towards the end. Peter's a typical good bloke, but the women in the book: his wife Karen, the twins Libby and Alice, and Libby's bestie Jess are more complex. I felt the most for Jess, and the life she lived, but she didn't make things easy for herself. Despite Libby's ...more
Alison Laverty
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The theme that rang out to me in this book is the need to feel worthy .. to have a sense of belonging. I kept coming back to know what happens next. The twins Alice and Libby both have different characters. Libby is married to Nick and she is closer to her best friend Jess than to her own sister. Jess is a single mum who has had a turbulent childhood. She felt toxic in her relationship with them. Alice is my favourite character whom I connected with the most. She has had a hard life yet her ...more
Amy
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
The moment I read the blurb of this book I knew it was one I would love and love it I did!

This book is full of all the day to day things a life can hold but with many secrets and many roller coaster events!

This book is filled with fantastic characters that you feel in touch with and familiar situations a lot of us have been through. This in itself makes it such an emotional read!

We all have our ups and downs in life and this roller coaster of a book has us hanging on for the ride of just an
Kim
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I absolutely loved this book!! I became so absorbed in the lives of the characters and was so sad when I finished the book, it will stay on your mind for days after.
This book revolves around the dramas of the Hunter Family, twins Libby and Alice and the friendship between Libby and best friend Jess. A friendship which appears perfect, but underneath the surface there are secrets and acts of betrayal which will impact all the characters in the book.
Libby’s twin sister Alice, was one of my
Francis Anne
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book!
I have a five month old so it's hard for me to find the time to read but with this book, it was so hard to put down I had to leave the housework to pile up.
Finished it in 5 days and now I'm itching to read more of Fiona's books.
Larelle Frauenfelder
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read, I couldn’t put it down. The ups and downs of an ordinary family with many twists and turns along the way will leave you questioning some of your values/beliefs on friendships, love and relationships
Beth Stackhouse
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow what a great read. This is one of those books you need to read right to the end. The story had beautiful characters and twists I didn't see coming it and was based on close family and best friends. It's about the best and worse of friends and family and when they lie it can hurt so much. That when you find out a family secret or a secret from your best friend it hurts and can never be taken back or undone. This story also shows how strong family and friends can be in a time of upset and ...more
Eloise
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The comparison to Jodi Picoult and Liane Moriarty is apt. This book, all about the twisted, tangled nature of family, relationships, and friendship in a small Australian town is compulsively compelling, emotionally resonant and literally unputdownable.
Kerry A
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. A family secret is revealed and once known, it can't be unknown. A seismic shift threatens to sweep away Libby Hunter's happiness and with it, perhaps, her marriage. This book is funny, heart wrenching and everything in between. I particularly loved Fiona Lowe's handling of the toxic friendship between Jess and Libby, both deluded about the true nature of their friendship and the fallout it causes between Libby and her twin sister Alice. I highly recommend this book, it was a joy to read.
The Lucky Find Book Club
Hold on to your hats ladies and gentlemen because this story is one wild ride!
If you love a good family drama then this book is for you.

Just An Ordinary Family focuses on four women. There’s the Twins Alice and Libby; Libby is happily married with two children and is also a successful doctor while Alice has always felt like she’s lived in Libby’s shadow. Alice has recently moved back home after a relationship breakdown, she’s juggling four jobs and tackling the world of online dating. Then
Rhoda
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it

Thank you to Netgalley and Harlequin Australia for a free kindle version of this book, which came out 2 days ago!

Libby and Alice are twins, yet they couldn’t be more different....Libby is a doctor, married and has 2 children. Alice is recently single after a breakup and is an arty, creative type - quite the opposite to Libby’s organized life.

Jess is Libby’s best friend and has been for so many years, that she is pretty much considered family.

Each woman (including Libby and Alice’s
Lauren Renee(the.peachy.reader)
The story is told from four perspectives, the main two being sisters Alice and Libby. Occasionally we see the perspectives of characters Karen, Libby and Alice's mother, and Jess, Libby's best friend forever.

At the beginning of the story we follow this normal family around their day to day lives in the bay. But as secrets start to unfold the family gets more dysfunctional and strained. When one major secret is revealed will the family be able to overcome it and adapt or will it fall apart

• The Love Story of Missy Carmichael
  • The Lost Summers of Driftwood
  • Sharks in the Time of Saviors
  • Desire Lines
  • The Lawson Sisters
Multi published, Fiona is very excited about her up-coming 2020 release, JUST AN ORDINARY FAMILY (Feb 24th 2020), a novel about family and friendship, betrayal, sacrifice and love. Previously published with Berkley and currently with Harper Collins Australia, (HQ Fiction) Fiona's been the recipient of a RITA and a RuBY award. Families and communities intrigue her and she loves creating characters ...more