Start by marking “Once Upon a Wish-mas” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Wish-mas

Once Upon a Wish-mas

Ruby Campbell isn't daunted at the prospect of working as a Nanny for the notorious Barclay Rothchester. She’s warned he’s a strict control freak, but she’s sure she can soften him up.

Barclay Rothchester lost his wife three years ago. Of course he’s never going to find someone to replace her role, the one she did so perfectly. He’s sure its not going to be hipp

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Wish-mas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Wish-mas

Start your review of Once Upon a Wish-mas
Nursebookie
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This Christmas Novela really got me in the Christmas Spirit and the characters had my heart in flutters. Ruby Campbell is my jam and I feel like if I knew her IRL, we would get along. Her childish antics, exuberance and positivity is the perfect fit for Barclay Rothchesters’ girls as a Nanny. His wife and the mother of her girls passed away a few years now and no one will ever be able to take her place.

Ruby is bound to make sure that the girls enjoy their Christmas but will she be able to stay
ABookLover73
Shelves: arc, 2019
Five Christmas stars for Ruby and Barclay 💖!

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

This is the first book I've read by Laura Barnard and it was really good!

I usually don't read books with Christmas trope but I gave chance to this one and I didn't regret it.

"Once Upon a Wish-mas" is a Christmas romance book with enemies to lovers, age-gap, taboo and office romance tropes.

If you're looking for a Christmas book with these tropes, then you need to read this one!
KarenLou NorthandSouthBlog
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
YAY CHRISTMAS!!!

I bloody love Christmas, and I love books. So giving me a Christmas book is just heaven. Even better?

Barcley.

We meet ruby, looking for a stop gap job to get her into the new year when she can start her next nanny job, she applies for this position. Not meeting barcley for the interview she accepts..... then she meets him. He is all brooding and moody. *sigh* and slightly broken. He hires nanny after nanny to take care of his girls after they lost their mother
Erin Lewis
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 star review of Once Upon A Wish-Mas by Laura Barnard
I really enjoyed reading Once Upon A Wish-Mas. Centered around the most magical time of the year, a time for family and friends to come together and celebrate. There’s something about the holiday season in n my opinion, it’s never too early to read a holiday romance.
There was angst, humour, fabulous characters and a story line that you couldn’t help but be drawn too. Ruby Campbell is a nanny who is feisty, sassy and not at all afr
Bozena
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
DEFINITELY A MUST READ!
When you are looking for a perfect Christmas Love Story with all the sweet, tear-jerking and swoony emotions, then this is definitely a book for you.
It's not the typical Christmas story per se, but a heartwarming and unbelievable emotional love story that ends on a Christmas day, or begins on this day 🤔😉 This book has all the beautiful feelings. It made me burst into laughter, thanks to Ruby's hilarious humor and made me cry like a baby (and I'm not ashamed of that) beca
Carrie Elks
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it. Funny, heartwarming and VERY Christmassy. Barclay is a widower with two young daughter and a whole lot of grumpiness. Ruby is a nanny with a heart of gold, determined to melt his frozen heart. Lots of fun scenes in Harrods, ice skating at Somerset House and run-ins with the school PTA (brings back memories!) that put a smile on my face. It's kind of like Mary Poppins meets The Holiday with a sprinkling of White Christmas. Perfect!
Reading Mom.me
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded up for this amazing Christmas Book! It has everything I love in a contemporary romance.
✔Enemy to Lover Trope
✔Angsty
✔Steamy
✔Amazing Banter

This story gave me all the feels I laughed out loud, I swooned and yes I cried. I couldn’t have asked for much more Ruby was a strong heroine which I love she didn’t allow the controlling Barclay to scare her off and she challenged him every step of the way. A fun quick Christmas book everyone should be read
Dayang
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my second ARC from Ms. Barnard... I've been signing up for some holiday romance because Christmas is practically in there air and we're only a few months shy from December.

I enjoyed the book... the snarky banter... the angst... the wonderful characters, and the storyline may not be very original but it was a heartwarming Christmas read.

It's a combination of enemies to lovers and taboo, age-gap and boss-employee romance.

I loved how to it talked about grief and lon
Jody
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun, laugh out loud Christmas romance!
Ruby is a strong MC who is easy to relate with. Her wit, amazing banter and angst with Barclay kept me fully engaged while her tender caring love for the girls gave me all the feels! Even the dynamic between Ruby and the secondary characters was well thought out and added to the overall enjoyment of the book for me. I felt like I was a member of the staff, or Ruby’s friend, rooting for her from day one!

The steamy enemy to lover troupe
Lisa Marie
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, now this book is just amazing! I absolutely loved it and hated when I had to put it down. I cannot believe I read this so quickly and stayed up until nearly 1am this morning because I just didn't want to go to bed before I could finish reading it. Laura what an amazing novel you have wrote, just fantastic!

I loved Ruby, she had a beautiful personality and is just amazing with the children. But I also love that she is strong and takes no sh**. She was an amazing character. The chi
Jenna
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am so thankful to Laura Barnard for reaching out to me about about her book! After reading the synopsis I was sold! This read was super cute and heartwarming at times with a slightly steamy enemies to lovers boss/ employee romance.

I enjoyed the characters so much in this book and was excited to see the book was told in dual narrative. I loved getting both sides of the story.

Overall I gave this book 4 Stars. Laura delivered all the warm and cozy Christmas feels and it’s never too soon for tha
Jojo
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's RELEASE DAY!!! Once Upon A Wish-mas is out today and you guys have to read it! This book about a Nanny, was just what I needed and no nightmares followed 🤣

The story follows Ruby, a career Nanny who takes a job caring for Barclays young girls. Barclay is a widow, and more than a little bit of a grumpus. His daughters are adorable. What follows is a fantastic story that made me laugh out loud, blush a teeny bit and even a little tear.

I totally identified with Ruby. Similar
Brittany J. (BNJreads)
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a perfect Christmas read. It got me in the mood to feel all the Holiday vibes. Time really slows down during this time of year, it is magical and this story really captures all of the magic the holiday season brings.

Ruby Campbell comes to work for the Rothchesters. Barclay, a recent widower, is not coping well with the loss of his wife Claire, in fact he is miserable. He is extremely moody and suffering in silence until Ruby comes along. He has met his match. She loves his girls fiercely a
Jo Shaw
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my word! What can I say about this book? I have loved Laura Barnard’s books since she first asked me to read and review one of her books very early in my Bookstagram days (pre-blog). Laura’s books are the perfect balance of romance, sex, and humour and I have loved them all.

HOWEVER…I have to say I think this is my favourite book by Laura by far, and is so perfectly Christmassy that I wanted to start celebrating Christmas there and then when I finished the book!

Ruby is
Andrea
5 huge heart-warming Christmassy stars!!
*ARC received in return for an honest review

Once Upon A Wish-mas has all the feels to make this the perfect heart-warming Christmas feel good romance story.
If it were a Christmas film it would be right up there with my all time faves I watch every year. I just want to wrap my arms around it and squeeze the hell out of it, I loved it that much.

I adored Ruby and her story. I laughed out loud at the, sometimes embarrassing, predicaments she got herself into, one o/>Once
Amy (booksandlattes83)
Once Upon a Wish-Mas by Laura Barnard

I was so exited to get an ARC of Once Upon a Wish-Mas from Laura. I was wondering how it would be to read a Christmas story during Halloween and found out that it doesn’t matter what season the story is in, as long as I enjoy the story and it makes me happy, I’m okay with it. Although it did get me quite excited for Christmas!

Ruby is a Nanny and started her new job taking care of two beautiful little girls named Jessica and Charlotte (Lottie). Th
Ann (Literary Lust)
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe how quickly I read this book as I was unable to put it down. What a fabulous read Once Upon a Wish-mas is. Even though it is set around the Christmas period this story is the perfect read all year round in my opinion.

I absolutely adore Ruby. She has a wonderful personality and I would love her to be in my close circle of friends. She has a career which is so suited to her. She isn't afraid to say what she thinks and takes great pleasure from putting those she cares about first.
Naadira  Moodley (BookedMercy)
I'm not usually one to go for Christmassy books because it's not something that I enjoy reading but when I saw the blurb for this book I was intrigued. I was feeling for something different and not so... heavy. I love me some single parent romance!

Ruby's passion is taking care of children so that is why she became a nanny. Her latest job has her taking care of 2 adorable girls who has lost their mother. The girls have been through a revolving door of nannies and that's because of the
Dayna
A Book Obsessed Brit
I am a big lover of all things Christmas, the decorations, the cosy nights in, the food, the music and of course the cheesy TV Christmas movies and all the Christmassy romance books too. Once Upon A Wish-mas is my first read from Laura, and what a great read to get the festive season started for me.

The book centres around a Nanny - Ruby, who accepts a job for a single widowed workaholic Father to help look after his two girls. She knows he has the reputation of being a tyrant to work
Lesley Robson
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The queen of rom coms has done it again an brought us a lighted hearted and emotional Christmas read. A father so wrapped up in work and grief that he is missing out on the best years of his, two gorgeous little girls who just want the love if their daddy an a straight talking nanny who swoops in , shakes everything up and leaves a big imprint on them. I loved Ruby and Barclays story and without trying Ruby hays gotten past all of his tough high walls and inovertly helped him through his grief e ...more
Jackie Wright
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars for Once Upon a Wish-mas
I loved everything about this fun entertaining holiday read it was truely magical as you would expect from a story based around Christmas.
Barclay is a widower trying to do his best with his two adorable daughters but work takes up most of his time and he comes across as Mr Grumpy to all who cross his path including his daughters, he goes through nannies like they are going out of fashion and that’s how Ruby finds herself starting as the new nanny for Lott
Claire Thake
Shelves: blog-reviews, 2019
Wow, this book was just what I needed. I have been in such a book slump recently but should have known that a new book from the lovely Laura would bring me out of it.

This book is about Ruby, a quirky nanny who is hired to look after two little girls, with their widowed father Barclay working all hours. Ruby is like a whirlwind and goes in and the girls warm to her well, although their father isn't too keen and wants her gone as he thinks her ways are upsetting their routine, but Ruby
booksbytheboats
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
If you like Christmas books, then this one is for you.
If you like romance books, then this one is also for you.
If you like your books full of Christmassy romance than this is THE Christmas book you need to purchase this year.

This will be released on 1st November and you should buy it for yourself... and your Christmas book loving friends 🎄

I’m not a huge fan of Christmas books, I have been known for avoiding them like the plague but when Laura asked me if I’d like to review her boo
Karen Wood
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really love festive stories and this one tops them all, it has all you want it's funny, a perfect heart-warming story.

When Ruby agreed to be the nanny to Barclay Rothchester's two Girls she knew what she was letting herself in for, but with her quirky ways, and rule-breaking, he can't help but like her!

The two girls are adorable and Ruby loves them, even Joins the PTA (who don't want her as she is just a nanny) so that Jessica can be on a float, but things with the PTA
Angela
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Get ready for your heart to melt . This story made me laugh, & it made me cry, boy did I cry .
Barclay is left with his two adorable little girls , Jessica & Lottie, after his wife dies . He loves them dearly , but is afraid to give them his heart completely , if he lost them too , like he did his wife, he would not survive.
His girls need a nanny, a nanny that will last. What he wasn't expecting was Ruby..
Rudy soon falls in love with Jessica & Lottie , & she is d
Eve Jones
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC copy of this book for an honest review.
This book is really well written and a thoroughly enjoyable read by one of my favourite authors.
I absolutely love the humour that Laura manages to infuse into her books along with all of the other emotions that she manages to bring out.
I feel like I've had bipolar disorder after reading this, because of the emotional rollercoaster I've been on 😊. Please don't take this as a negative as this book is brilliant and is coming out at the rig
Sassy Southern
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a fun, sweet book for the holiday! I loved Ruby and her spunky tell it like it is attitude. She quickly became a favorite and had me laughing out loud multiple times. Mt heart definitely broke for Barclay and is little girls. Losing his wife was such a heartbreaking event and it caused him to push away his daughters in order to protect his hardened heart. When Ruby has the opportunity to enter their lives she decides that she is going to be the one that changing things for these wo ...more
Brittany from Can’t Quit Books
I absolutely adored this book. It was such a quick, fun read that had me laughing out loud and my heart breaking at the same time.

Ruby is a hoot. She is such a hot mess, but she is true to herself and her values. She isn’t about to change who she is for anyone, and I couldn’t get enough of her comebacks during intense situations. She is super witty and genuine.

Barclay is a shell of a man. He is uptight, overbearing, and grieving in his own way. He is trying to do what is best for his girls, bu
Rock Hard Romance
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
What a joy this Festive story was to read!
Told in DUAL POV's,with great character's including two adorable little girls,it was good mix of hilarious,and pull at your heart-strings,emotional moments,that had me laughing out loud and shedding a tear along the way with an Epilogue that wrapped things up nicely!

I don't want to give anything else away,the blurb states enough to the concept,but it is a must read for anyone who loves a good Christmas Chick-Lit Rom-Com story!
I LOVED I
« previous 1 3 next »

• In Peace Lies Havoc (Midnight Mayhem #1)
  • Cherry Beats
  • Tabloid Princess (Tabloid Princess #1)
  • Even When I'm Gone (Stay With Me, #2)
  • Holly Banks Full of Angst
  • Stay With Me (Stay With Me, #1)
  • Love Offline: Looking For Romance In Real Life
  • Rush: The Beginning (Black Hearts Still Beat, #1)
  • The Boss Who Stole Christmas (Reindeer Falls, #1)
  • Wrath
  • What Do You See? (What Do You, #1)
  • The Best Years (The Amherst Sinners #1)
  • Forever My Saint (All The Pretty Things Trilogy, #3)
  • Team Player 2: A Sports Anthology
  • Defy Fate (Cade & Aria: Easton Family Saga) (Fated Duet #1)
  • The Best Moments (The Amherst Sinners #2)
  • The Best Mistakes (The Amherst Sinners #3)
  • Perfectly Adequate
Laura Barnard lives in Hertfordshire, UK and writes romantic comedy or 'chick lit' as its so often described. In her spare time she enjoys drinking her body weight in tea, indulging in cupcakes the size of her face and drooling over hunks like Jamie Dornan, Ryan Gosling and Leo Dicaprio.

She enjoys wearing yoga pants and reading fitness magazines while sitting on the sofa eating chocolate. S