Start by marking “Soon” as Want to Read:
Soon

Soon

On winter solstice, the birds disappeared, and the mist arrived.

The inhabitants of Nebulah quickly learn not to venture out after dark. But it is hard to stay indoors: cabin fever sets in, and the mist can be beguiling, too.

Eventually only six remain. Like the rest of the townspeople, Pete has nowhere else to go. After he rescues a stranded psychic from a ter
Published October 15th 2019 by Titan Books (first published October 1st 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Soon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soon

Lisa
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Barry at Transit Lounge
‘Nebulah’ – with its echoes of ‘nebulous’ – is a clever name for the fictional inland town in Western Australia where the action takes place. It is very remote, three hours drive away from the nearest town of Woodford, which is also small and remote, and itself a good long drive from Mandurah. The story begins with the suicide of an old man called Rolf who couldn’t go on with the loneliness of eking out a living in a dying town.

Twelve months before, Nebulah had a population of just o
Anne Fenn
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Yikes, horror/speculative fiction, what was I thinking?! This book is really a five star read, I just couldn't bring myself to say I admired horror that much. Set in rural Western Australia, it tells the story of a (shrinking) group of people facing terrible danger every night. Mists, ghosts, over-imagination, who knows? It's brilliantly written, a 99% normal world is set up, full of interesting characters. The plot is clever, I couldn't see what was coming next, but it led me on from page to pa ...more
Kimbofo
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reviews
I think it’s safe to say that Lois Murphy’s Soon will be the strangest — and most intriguing — book I read all year.

This deliciously creepy debut novel defies categorisation: is it dystopian? literary fiction? horror? The answer, I suspect, is a combination of all three.

I’m not much of a one for fantastical, supernatural tales, but there was something about this story, which compelled me to keep turning the pages long into the night.

The setting is Nebulah, a fictional to
Susanne Nicholson
Finished this whole book in one sitting. It was riveting - a unique story with thoroughly-drawn characters. The prose was elegant and descriptive, and yet flowed very easily. It was also terrifying! It's wonderful to see such great work from another Australian author. Highly recommended.
Neil McRobert
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Take Stephen King’s small towns and homespun gothic, relocate it around the world to rural Australia, and you’ve got the makings of a unique yet familiar horror cracker.

Soon is a fabulous novel. Simple and pared down, yet never anaemic. The situation it presents is only vaguely outlined or understood, but it never feels unthought out. Instead it feels like a true, bewildered worms-eye view of a supernatural phenomenon. In reality how would you understand this kind of thing? The book gets that i
Mike
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Closer to 3.5 stars. Soon is a bit of a strange horror novel that leans hard on the notions of grief and regret. The protagonist(s) are used to the horror and oppression around them so-much-so that it has become routine. Despite the killer mist that haunts their homes at night, at time seductive at other's taunting, the actual horror isn't the real threat of death but rather trying to find a way to move on with living. This is, I suspect, the intent.
Sam
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow.
Nancy
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Winner Arealis Award Best Horror Novel 2018

Read...and decide for yourself!
Review
Kat Nicholson
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Well, that was the scariest book I've read in a long, long time. It's also beautifully written, with well-developed characters - a brilliant, terrifying debut novel.

I sat down on the couch and started reading at 7.00 pm; it's now 2.30 am and I've just finished. I think I'll be sleeping with all the lights on tonight.
Swords & Spectres
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Soon, is not a new book. It was released a few years back in its native Australia and finally, the rest of the world gets to see what the aussies have known for the past couple years: Lois Murphy can write some seriously good suspenseful horror.

Ordinarily, I don’t tend to go in for literary fiction. I like my story to be plot-driven more so than character-driven. But, upon reading the blurb
Paige
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Oh wow. Just wow. I devoured this book in just a few sittings and when I wasn't reading it I was thinking about how much I wanted to read it.

The town of Nebulah only has six people left, and they have to be indoors with the doors locked and curtains closed by sunset or the mist will kill them. I love that the book keeps you guessing about the mist the entire way through, why did it appear? Will it ever disappear? What i
Lisa
Nebulah. Population: 7 5 4 3 2 1 0.

A town in the middle of nowhere, Nebulah’s population has been slowly shrinking for some time. But one day the birds disappear and a strange mist descends on the town at nightfall. Taunting and murderous, it claims the lives of who are not safe inside, the windows and doors locked. Pete, a former policeman with a family that doesn’t want him, remains in spite of the danger, clinging to the community and friendships he’s made.

Lois Murphy’s Soon is quite simply superb. I
Vicki Parsons
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Intriguing and fast paced read. I picked this up to read a few chapters and ended up finishing it a few hours later. This atmospheric novel opens with a small, nearly abandoned Australian town, and its last few residents, facing a creepy, supernatural evil of completely unknown origin. The plot has been done before, with minor variations, but the characters were interesting and they drew me in. I needed to know what had happened to these people and it was my attachment to them that kept me readi ...more
imyril
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well I guess the 13th is as fitting a day as any (except maybe the winter solstice) to read this cover to cover.

On the one hand it’s so predictable it hurts: there’s nothing here I hadn’t seen before in terms of plot beats (even tho I rarely engage with horror in any medium). On the other, it works because of its needle-sharp focus on tragic characters and their baggage, and its evocation of a remote, fading township abandoned by almost everyone with a duty to care about it.

I was en
Mark
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strange, intriguing and overall a very good read. This book has a most unusual plot and premise that makes it creepy and addictive. A mysterious mist envelopes a remote West Australian town every day during darkness hours. The dwindling local population must be inside when the mist comes, or they risk being "consumed" by it. There are so many themes, with an underlying tone of fact from a real community in the region that actually suffers a dangerous mist. But this mist is much more sinister and ...more
Danielle
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a slow boiling horror, simmering away for much of a fairly uneventful plot, just building the unease until things started to go seriously awry towards the close. It took me a while to adjust to the pacing; I enjoyed the author’s skilful depiction of her likeable small-town characters and their quietly doom-laden lives, but spent a while waiting for something more to happen. I liked the lack of explanation given for the weird goings on in town. Possibly because they’re both Australian ta ...more
Jo
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars. Utterly gripping. Just like the work of Transit Lounge stable mates Jane Rawson and A S Patric, Lois Murphy’s debut novel Soon defies genre categorisation. Despite containing fantastical story elements, it feels uncommonly gritty and grounded. Murphy’s character development and evocation of both the natural environment and small town setting is first class — a reader cannot help but become invested in their plight. Read full review >>
Kylie
Jan 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Great example of the slow-burn horror novel; a more confident, literary James Herbert or Stephen King, with a flawed narrator attempting to hang onto his sanity and his standard of living as the world around him disappears into a noxious, haunted fog that arrives at night. I think the thing that led me not to give this a higher rating was the length of time to figure out the rationale of the lead character, but there's enough chills to make this a read I'd recommend. Particularly interesting is ...more
Ashleigh Willett
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written, the language and choice of words was brilliant. I love reading books where the author hasn't simply created a good story line, but has written it eloquently. The story line was spooky, which is an unusual choice for me, but not too scary in my opinion. The only criticism I have was that not a lot actually happened. It was a bit slow paced and there were a lot of flash backs from the main character where he is thinking of past events. But otherwise, a good read.
Bronwyn
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh....this book had me leaving the hall light on and cuddling the dog in bed at night. Absolutely terrifying. So well written, easy to read and not feeling like I needed to go back and re-read a paragraph to really understand it. Great strong characters, excellent plot. White knuckles holding the pages at times....Literally had me guessing til the last page, well done Lois. Excited to read more of your works.
Harvey
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good read. I liked the part, exactly half way through the book, when the main character drove to Sydney, and the people he met there. The characters the author describes, and the topics of conversation felt oddly familiar. The pace accelerates in the second part of the book, and it's hard to put the book down.
Helen
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars If this was a movie it’d be a horror movie.. as a book it’s still eerie and disturbing. I was left shuddering and horrified. Even so, it’s a book that’s well worth reading. It’s understandable perhaps but reprehensible how the world outside can just dismiss what is happening to this community.
Romy
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really hard to describe. If I had to use a word it would be ‘unsettling’. It’s a genre all of it’s own and although not everyone will like this book, it’s one urge you to read to decide for yourself. Soon is very well written; it’s characters, the Australian landscape and the supernatural element tie seamlessly together to create a unique read.
Billyf27
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quit Soon twice, but ended up liking it. The characters grew on me and I ended up cheering for them to make it through the trouble that surrounded all of them. A good read if you stick with it.. I would read this author again.
Ashley
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cool concept with some deeply disturbing imagery, but this takes "slow burn" to a new slow. I felt there was a lot of useless rambling about... not much in particular. There really is no explanation of the mist, but I suppose that lends itself to intrigue.
Kate Turner
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my. Spine chilling
Helen
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Weird and different.
Tori Hirner
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an intriguing thriller. It was definitely weird and spooky but not too much for a scaredy cat like me. I did think the end got a little muddy with some confusing last minute additions.
Suzie Bull
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Compelling and intriguing. I fell easily into the story and It kept me guessing and wondering right to the end. It is extremely well constructed and evocative.
Jess
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: australiana, women, horror
This was well-written and had an interesting premise but I didn’t connect to the characters as much as I needed to