Start by marking “Carnival Row: Tangle in the Dark” as Want to Read:
Carnival Row: Tangle in the Dark

Carnival Row: Tangle in the Dark

Listening Length: 3 hours and 8 minutes

Tourmaline Larou lives an idyllic life of learning by day and partying by night. An aspiring poet, her future promises nothing less than brilliance.

Then, Vignette Stonemoss walks through the door, and Tourmaline’s world is upended.

As she struggles to understand the effect this stranger has on her, Tourmaline
Audible Audio, 4 pages
Published October 3rd 2019 by Audible Original

To ask other readers questions about Carnival Row, please sign up.
Al I just started the read, but starts prior to events in the series. Appears to be a lead in to the characters.

Start your review of Carnival Row: Tangle in the Dark
Alaina
..and now I REALLY want to watch the show.

Carnival Row: Tangle in the Dark was an interesting prequel to dive into. Once I saw that this audible original was available to listen to - I wanted it. Mostly because I keep seeing the trailers for this show but I haven't had the balls (or time) to watch it. I mean it has freaking Cara Delevingne in it! AND Orlando Bloom (right? or am I just making this one up?) Either way, I want to watch it now!

Now since I know jack diddly squat about these/>Carnival
Ian
I don't know.
You can get a glass of water from a tap and it's perfectly fine. And it costs a couple of cents, if that.
Or you can spend $4 buying the latest bottled (tap) water.

That's what this book feels like. It's Swiss Alps Water which is just water from a tap in the Swiss Alps.

It isn't bad. But it can't hold a candle to writers like Naomi Novik or Laini Taylor.
Oct 16, 2019 marked it as freebies
This Audiobook is free for Audible members until the 31st of October
Thomas
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
I guess if you were going to binge-watch the Amazon show that this is a prequel for, it might just be the thing to listen to. I don't really have time for yet another TV show.

It was free, anyway.

As a stand-alone story, this ain't much.
Chelsea
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Tip: This is definitely written for people that have seen all of season one of Carnival Row, so you won't find it as interesting if you haven't seen the show. (I'm looking at you, guy who rated it two stars despite knowing it was based on a TV show he hadn't seen.)

I really enjoyed learning about Tourmaline and Vignette's background, especially from Tourmaline's perspective as she's a secondary character in the show. She's so much more complex than they had time to develop so this was
Shannon Weeden
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
After binge watching the available 8 shows in Carnival Row and wishing for more I couldn't help but to pick up this backstory on how Tourmaline & Vignette met. It was true to the feel of the show and free as well! I enjoyed the extra look into a few characters and hope that more snippets are released in the future.
Lesa Divine
This was something to listen to while sewing.

I watched this show on Amazon Prime.
Listening to this I got to know what was going on with Tourmaline doing the time of the show it focused on her friend her lover but this gave a inside to Tourmaline.
B.A. Wilson
Oct 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: novella
Nope. Not for me. Apparently, you need to watch the show to enjoy this book, from what I can tell. I have never even heard of the show, so this sounded like it had a great fantasy premise but instead was dull, snobby, and cliché with very few fantasy elements.

I spent most of the listening time being confused or severely bored, and I love deep fantasy and romance. There’s just not much depth or even story here, from what I could tell. This should have appealed to me, but we just didn’t connect.
Steven D'Adamo
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Carnival Row: Tangle in the Dark" is a dark but enjoyable story of innocence and love lost among the machinations of imperialist war. Tourmaline is an honest narrator whose bristly attitude may get her into trouble in social settings, but she is still a sympathetic and intuitive character. Her voice is blunt without being brash and provides the right punch in a tightly packed story. The narrator was also able to capture the story's themes of classism and racism with a range of natural-sounding ...more
Janne Janssens
I got this audiobook for free as an Audible Member.
The synopsis and even the cover really appealed to me. It was a short read, less than 4 hours. And it was long enough and too short at the same time.
Only after listening to this book I discovered it is a prequel of an Amazon Prime TV series, called Carnival Row. And than my mixed feelings made sense. I really liked the world this story is set in and very interesting characters were living in it. But because it was quite a short story, I d
Karissa
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This was okay. I got this as an Audible Original and the audiobook quality was good. The story is set in the world of Carnival Row (an Amazon Prime original TV series) and it was mainly a love story between two characters. This is an interesting world but I wasn't that engaged with the characters or the story.

I actually watched the first Amazon Prime episode of Carnival Row before I listened to this story, I was really hoping for something similar in tone to Penny Dreadful. However, I had the s
Stephanie (Bookish Plans)
{Rated R: sexual content and language} I highly suggest watching the first season of Carnival Row before diving into this short prequel. You will be completely lost if you don’t. You’ll get more world building, character dynamics, as well as the understanding of the derogatory naming of certain societies and people (such as puck and pix) by watching the TV show first. It was great to see the backstory of Tournmaline and her connection with Vignette and other characters before the war began. I ju ...more
Connor Daley
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Haven’t seen anything for this show other than the trailer so I was just listening because it was free this month. I thought it was actually pretty worthy of a listen. The performance was nice.

I like the mixture of fantasy and the real world. Fairies and fawns mixed with propaganda and silencing academia was something new for me.

If you have audible, it’s free, so why not??
Sammy
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, deadlies, 2019
Ok, so I haven't seen Carnival Row yet, but I caught a glimpse, and it looks intriguing, so when this came up on audible as a freebie, I didn't hesitate to snag it.

It was an enjoyable little story, and well performed. eager to dive into the show now!
Denise
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, read-2019
I'd been considering giving this series a try, so what with this prequel being available for free on Audible, this seemed like an excellent opportunity. The world it's set in seems interesting enough, but I didn't really care much for any of the characers. Decent entertainment, but I can't say I came away from this story with a burning desire for more.
MangoLoverReads
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25/5 — Well done story and writing. Listened on audiobook. Performer did a good job. Having just started watching Carnival Row, it was fun to have some backstory. This is a fascinating world. Member included selection.
MA
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
If you’ve seen the show, and consequently ship Philo/Vignette, you may be confused by this prequel where Tourmaline does nothing but pine after Vignette. Or is this just me?
Dana Cristiana
I want to see the tv show. I didn't care much about this book. :(

1.75 stars. Review to come.
Ashleigh (ash and books)
Nov 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I have yet to complete the Amazon originals series and this gives a little bit of context to how Vignette and Tourmaline (told from her POV in this one) met and got to know each other.
Elizabeth Myelle
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun little romp into an almost steampunk realm.
Benjamin Marcher
Oct 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Holy shit, that was childish.....
Alan Teder
SteamFaeMagicPunk Prequel
Review of the Audible Audio audiobook edition (2019.
NOTE: Explicit adult language and sexual scenes involved.

This is primarily for fans of the Amazon Prime web TV series Carnival Row and is a prequel story about faeries Vignette ("Vini") Stonemoss (played by actress Cara Delevingne in the series) and Tourmaline Larou (played by actress Karla Crome in the series). In this novella length (3+ hours) prequel Karla Crome narrates the story from her character Tourmaline Larou's point of view.
/>Review
Carole Rae
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Haven't watched the show yet, but I couldn't resist grabbing this up and listening to it.

The story follows Tourmaline who lives an idyllic life of being a student during the day and partying at night. She wants to be a poet and more then what she is. Vignette becomes her new roommate and at first they seem so different but there seems to be something there. As Tourmaline weeds through her feelings for Vignette, the world is facing a looming threat from the human world. War looms over all.

I wan
Simon
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
More Prancing and Poetry . . .

. . . than Dungeons and Dragons. This feels much more like a story about love, snobbery and poetry that has been grafted into a fantasy world than something that is genuinely fantasy. It could work as epic fantasy only really if it is the prelude to something much bigger but it seems to be just a bit of back story for two of the characters from the series. Tourmaline and Vignette are very different women and are pushed together in an awkward flat share. Tourmaline
June
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Lesbian love story—the kind you find in Harlequin romance novels. Nothing new or original here as in opposites attract, but so what? Lots of skirting around classism that wasn’t really fleshed out. This kind of archetype is supposed to set up tension and drama and there wasn’t much even though the lovers are vastly different socioeconomically. Somehow the snobbish friends all end up tolerating, even accepting the relationship without any believable reason as to why. The main and supporting chara ...more
Lis Carey
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tourmaline Larou is a student, an aspiring poet, and moderately well-connected. Her future looks promising, if not exactly brilliant, and she lives a pleasant life of studying by day and partying by night.

Then Vignette Stonemoss arrives, her new roommate. She's from a completely different background from Tourmaline and her friends--from the provinces, not the capital. The provincials are normally figures of fun to the elite that Tourmaline is at least on the fringes of.

Vi
Anniken Haga
3.5/5 stars

Seeing how hard it's been for me to get invested in any story lately - other than Harleen - I didn't really expect anything from this short, free book on Audible. I've heard about the Carnival Row-series, even want to watch it, but haven't, so I was also a little afraid it wouldn't feel anything for the characters or world.

And while I didn't care about the MC, I cared about V. and the world. It seemed really interesting and something I would love to continue exploring!

The writi
Rob Ramos
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I've been meaning to watch Carnival Row, but haven't seen it yet, and when this popped up on Audible as a free original, I decided to give it a listen. I was really impressed by the outstanding narration and I'm looking forward to hearing other books read by the same speaker. I didn't expect the book to be lesbian erotica, but the story did set up the backgrounds for some of the characters in the TV show. I'm not sure I liked either of the main characters, or the supporting characters for that m ...more
Jack Hansen
This book is an episode of Fantasy Science Fiction Dystopia, a world in the throes of war. The characters are mundane or magical but their problems are curiously human. This is not a children's book but an explicit story where mixed breeds struggle to survive using sex and loyalties as tools for status.

This short narrative changes when the protagonist's relationships and popularity create a good life for her. She becomes renowned as a gifted poet inspired by her muse, another female
Stevie K
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Camp Red Moon
  • Carmilla
  • The Sisters (Cormac Reilly, #.5)
  • My Lost Family
  • Midnight Son
  • The Home Front: Life in America During World War II
  • The Burnout Generation
  • Climbing With Mollie
“At once as insignificant as a speck of sand and as important as the sun and stars. Before that moment I believed that the only life worth living was one of constant motion with a city around to fill the blank spaces inside. Now I understood otherwise; there was power here in the quiet.” 0 likes