Start by marking “Once Bitten (Melanie Travis, #8)” as Want to Read:
Once Bitten (Melanie Travis, #8)

Once Bitten (Melanie Travis #8)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  720 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Prize-winning poodle owner Melanie Travis attempts to sniff out a murderer when her brother's wedding coordinator is found dead, in her eighth sleuthing adventure set in the elite dog-show world.
Published August 1st 2002 by Kensington (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Once Bitten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Bitten

Teresa in Ohio
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
This is a comfortable cozy series to just read and let the story play out. It is like catching up at a family reunion once a year. Only I got sidetracked with this series and read somewhat out of order so I back up to catch up in Melanie's life. She is still showing dogs, trying to sort out her relationship with Sam, deal with Davy's absent father coming back into their lives and a missing person.

This time it is more mystery less murder. Bertie is planning her wedding when her wedding planner g
Julesy
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melanie's future sister-in-law Bertie, a dog handler, asks that she investigate the disappearance of her wedding planner, Sara, another dog handler. But Sara's cottage is set on fire and a dead body is found inside. Melanie tries to find the answers as to why Sara disappeared and who wished to kill her. Another great entry to this series. Luckily, the love triangle has been resolved!
Carol
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: dog loving mystery lovers
Recommended to Carol by: no one
Shelves: mystery
This was a fun mystery to read at bedtime. No scary things that go "bump in the night", no knives plunging out of the depths (and therefore giving me nightmares when I finally do turn out the lights) but a good "who done it" with the added attraction of dogs (Poodles! And the Standard version at that) figuring heavily in the plot. It's nice to see a story where one breed figures predominantly without making snide comments about other breeds and/or their owners (the Shelties were portrayed - in m ...more
Rose Blum
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm getting sucked into this series!
Rose Blum
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I almost gave this book 5 stars. If you like dog shows & poodles then this is a series for you! I've always wanted a big poodle. I had a mid sized poodle that I rescued from the cold one winter when I was a teenager & took her home to the ranch ~ everybody loved her!!!!! We have Australian Shepherds.
Lena Harper
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Good variety of mysteries in this series. They're not all just a murder and it's solving, there's always a unique twist.
Lauren
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book
Cyndi
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
Fun beach read, enjoyable throughout, no bad language. I like the main character.
Kathryn
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it
This includes spoilers from the previous Melanie Travis mystery, so if you haven't read it yet and don't want to be spoiled, turn back now!

Still here, eh? That must mean you've finished this books predecessor, Unleashed, and if you are like me, you were disappointed to see Melanie's fiance Sam take off for an undetermined time following his ex-wife's murder for reflection and what-not. Author Berenson, however, appeases us in Once Bitten by fulfilling the promise of a wedding -- that of Melanie'
Jen
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Melanie Travis’s brother Frank is getting married, but when his wedding co-ordinator Sarah disappears, Melanie must either find her, or take her place. She hasn’t spoken with her fiancé Sam since he left several months ago to “find himself” and now, her ex-husband Bob re-enters her life and wants to start over with her and Davy. Meanwhile, instead of exhibiting poodles in the show ring. Aunt Peg is now a judge
I love Laurien’s books. They are filled with a host of unique, well-rounded characters
Vanet Jensen
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
The venue is different and it is very unusual for me to read a book in a series out of order. But in this case I was desperate, l had read everything on hand and so I did read it out of order. Very easy candy read with characters that I really didn't get too attached to. I did enjoy that the Melanie, this series sleuth was not injured, nor threatened. It was refreshing and enjoyable enough for me to read the other two books I have in this series.
Emily Cullen
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Melanie Travis's brother is getting married and when the wedding planner goes missing Melanie's sister-in-law-to-be asks for her help. She is also busy finishing off her standard poodle's championship. I really like the "Melanie Travis" cozy mystery series. Melanie is likable and there is a great supporting cast. I especially enjoy watching Melanie's son grow up and keeping track of Melanie's romances. There is an awful lot of dog show and dog talk so if dogs aren't your thing you may not like t ...more
Cindy
Sep 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery and dog lovers
Shelves: mysteries, series
Poor Melanie. Her perfect fiancee just ran off into the blue. Her job is okay, her son is fine, the poodles are okay, and then who shows up--but her ex-husband, Bob. Meanwhile, her brother is getting married in 2 weeks and the wedding planner is AWOL. And she's got 2 dog shows.

I'm not into dog shows at all, but I do like animals and I can really relate to Melanie's crazy life and family. A fun book.

CMB
Lauretta Farrell
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the second of Berenson's books I've read, and it was just as enjoyable as the first. Built around the world of show dogs -- specifically poodles, it tells the story of a single mother struggling to take care of her young son and two poodles -- one in the ring, the other still a puppy. Woven into this is mystery and murder, all the while educating the reader about the sow dog world. It is a relatively easy read, with just enough intrigue to keep you interested.
Lori Walker
These are super fast reads, and if you are really into dog shows and particularly the Standard Poodle breed, they are very interesting. The mysteries are usually clever, and in this one, I wasn't positive who did it until the very end, which always makes me happy. I only gave it a 3 because it is pretty specialized...I have some friends who have read a couple of this series, only to put it down because they just don't care about all the doggy stuff.
C-shaw
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
I found this stuck in my bookshelves and after I'd read a good bit of it, found some notes indicating I'd read it before. I'll have to give it away now, because it certainly wasn't good enough to read a third time. Too much stuff about standard poodles and dog shows, subjects that hold no interest whatsoever for me.
Kelly
Jul 25, 2013 added it
I enjoyed this book when I read it two years ago - mysteries written around dog show folks are bound to be my cup of tea. I found the book suspenseful enough to hold my attention. with the audio book I really didn't enjoy the narrator and will avoid future books she narrates. I just found the she read slightly too quickly and I didn't enjoy her voice.
elisia conrardy
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once Bitten

Once Bitten

I have loved all of the Melanie Travis mysteries. Her family human and canine seem so real I feel like I am reading a letter from either a great friend or much loved member of my family
Pat
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another in the Melanie Travis mysteries! I have learned much about dog shows and the people who love them. It gives me a whole new appreciation for people and dogs who do this. The mystery was good, too.
wendy
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love at first woof

I love this series. funny, intense well written, great characters. Great dogs. quirky family. Love, loss and everything in between. although Sam's reappearance was a bit predictable
Neva Williams
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Adding this book many years after the fact. I honestly don't remember the book - adding it from a list of books that I had read at the time - but the fact that I didn't read any more by this author speaks volumes. I do love books with dogs, so I may just have to give this series another try.
Cathy
Feb 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
A fun new series I stumbled upon. This is the first I've read, although it's about the middle of the series. A light hearted mystery with an okay dose of dog show info. Easy to follow with only a few references to what happened prior to this installment.
Helen
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good one!
Debbie
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Entertaining. Learned a few things about dog shows!
Kathy
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Enjoying this series. Love all the poodles.
Shirl
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good dog story, a good mystery and a good read.
Jackie Simons
Read 6/01
  • Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Ten Little Bloodhounds
  • Putting On The Dog (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #2)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)
Laurien Berenson is the author of more than thirty novels that have sold two million copies worldwide. Her cozy mystery series revolves around the world of dog shows, a milieu she knows well as her family has been involved in the sport of dogs for three generations. There are currently twenty Melanie Travis canine mysteries, including the newest book in the series, MURDER AT THE PUPPY FEST.

Berenso
More about Laurien Berenson

Melanie Travis (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • Underdog (Melanie Travis, #2)
  • Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3)
  • Hair of the Dog (Melanie Travis, #4)
  • Watchdog (Melanie Travis, #5)
  • Hush Puppy (Melanie Travis, #6)
  • Unleashed (Melanie Travis, #7)
  • Hot Dog (Melanie Travis, #9)
  • Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)
  • Jingle Bell Bark (Melanie Travis, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Last Passenger
  • The Thief
  • From the Cradle
  • Intrusion
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Two to Die For (Lucy Kincaid, #12.5; Max Revere, #3.5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • If Tomorrow Comes
    $12.74 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Clockwork Scarab (Stoker & Holmes, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Into the Darkest Corner
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Dragon's Triangle (The Shipwreck Adventures #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The End of Temperance Dare
  • Skewed
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unintended Consequences (Innocent Prisoners Project #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Girl Number One
  • No Time To Blink
  • Long May She Reign
  • What You Wish For
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Detachment (John Rain, #7)
  • Don't Get Caught
  • Disappearance at Devil's Rock
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Fallout
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Boy Who Stole from the Dead (Nadia Tesla, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Kindred (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery, #5)
  • The Informationist
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Local Girl Missing
  • Finding Jake
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Violent Crimes (Amanda Jaffe, #5)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Temporary Agent (The Agent #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Punishment (Detective Barnes, #1)
  • Terminal Rage
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Lonely Resurrection (John Rain #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain #6)
  • A Deadly Game: The Untold Story of the Scott Peterson Investigation
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Sunday Silence (Frieda Klein, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Graveyard of Memories (John Rain, #8)
  • Pretty Girls
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • Before You Leap
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
  • The Tenth Justice
    $7.74 $1.99
  • An Invisible Client
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Eight
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Sin and Swoon (Blood and Bone, #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stay Dead (Elise Sandburg #2)
  • The Company of Demons
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Fifth Letter
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Altar Girl (Nadia Tesla #0.5)
  • Darkness
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Redemption Games (John Rain #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Dry (Aaron Falk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Liars (Pretty Little Liars, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • City of the Lost (Casey Duncan, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Case Histories (Jackson Brodie #1)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Crow Trap (Vera Stanhope, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Florida Roadkill (Serge Storms Mystery, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Step on a Crack (Michael Bennett, #1)
  • If I Run (If I Run #1)
  • Jar City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Power Down (Dewey Andreas, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Poacher's Son (Mike Bowditch, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Accused (Rosato & DiNunzio, #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Edge of Apocalypse (The End, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Duty To The Dead (Bess Crawford, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Baltimore Blues  (Tess Monaghan, #1)
  • Tips for Living
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Boy from Reactor 4 (Nadia Tesla, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Lost Empress (Genealogical Crime Mystery, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Hounded (An Andy Carpenter Novel)
  • Girls on Fire
  • The Back Road
  • The Other Widow
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Suckers (Jack Daniels and Associates)
“Men. Who needs them when you can have dogs?” 1 likes
“I’ve begun to have those stupid dreams. You know the ones where you show up for the final exam and haven’t cracked a book all semester?” 1 likes