Start by marking “The Apocalyptic Mannequin” as Want to Read:
The Apocalyptic Mannequin

The Apocalyptic Mannequin

Doomsday is here and the earth is suffering with each breath she takes. Whether it's from the nuclear meltdown, the wrath of the Four Horsemen, a war with technology, or a consequence of our relationship with the planet, humanity is left buried and hiding, our bones exposed, our hearts beating somewhere in our freshly slit throats.

The Apocalyptic Mannequin by S
Published September 26th 2019 by Raw Dog Screaming Press

To ask other readers questions about The Apocalyptic Mannequin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Apocalyptic Mannequin

Start your review of The Apocalyptic Mannequin
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
I'm a relatively new reader of poetry. So I'm prefacing this review with a disclaimer: I don't claim to be any kind of expert in what makes for quality poetry. I just haven't been in the scene long enough to know the language. So this is just more of a sharing with you all my experience engaging with Stephanie's work--and more specifically, APOCALYPTIC MANNEQUIN.
When it comes to poetry, I've only dipped my toe into horror/dark poetry. I know what I like and what I don't like. I don't like
Tracy Robinson
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tbr-own
There's a reason why I equate the name Stephanie Wytovich with quality horror fiction, and this newest poetry collection cements this for me. In addition to her fiction work, Wytovich teaches higher education, writes blog posts, essays, and just in general finds a way to champion the horror genre. Earlier this year I read and enjoyed her novel The Eighth, so I knew I needed to pick up more of her work.

This collection boasts 90 pieces of horror art ranging in length and style, yet all
Steve Stred
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
** Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews! **

“There exists the hardship of weakness.”

What an absolute shame that this is my first experience with Stephanie’s writing.

The Apocalyptic Mannequin is a poetry collection like no other collection I’ve read. It opens with a note from the author, where Wytovich warns us. We’re told about what makes her scared, what brings her terror and then, true to her word, she destroys us with her words, describing time an
Alex findingmontauk1
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, lohf
5 stars! Full review to come
Well Read Beard
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books
This poetry is NUTS. Absolutely crazy stomach turning, gorge rising, cringe-worthy horrific stuff. I have read all but 1 of Stephanie's poetry collections. This one focuses solely on an apocalyptic theme. What got me the most about it was the vivid imagery. I could smell the smoke, choking on the ash, and at one point I had to check my front door due to a character inside watching blood and decay seeping through the door from the multitude of pounding infected fists. Yeah... Think about that for ...more
Matt (TeamRedmon)
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally appreciate poetry. I don't know why that is, call it a character flaw. So when I got a copy of Apocalyptic Mannequin for review, I was doubtful that I would like it. However, over several nights I read Stephanie Wytovich's poems and each one had an effect on me. Every word is perfect and intentional. Stephanie Wytovich is an artist at the top of her game. Some of my favorites from this collection are:
Greatings From the New World
Cannibalized
Underneath Ato
Max III
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like a doomsday clock fast-forwarding to its final self-destruction, Wytovich's poetry will give you whiplash as you flip through page after page. The writing here is ugly yet beautiful. It reads like a disease greedily eating up vital organs. The apocalypse has arrived and it couldn't be more intoxicating!
Michael
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There’s a thrumming pulse and a haunting humidity connecting each poem in this collection. “Warnings In The Suicide Forest” is my favorite.
Jamie
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I consider myself a “newbie” when it comes to reading and reviewing poetry, as most of my reading consists of prose. However, over this past year I’ve ventured into some horror-themed poetry collections. So, when I was offered a copy of The Apocalyptic Mannequin for review, I happily accepted, for two main reasons. Number one: I’ve heard nothing but praise for the author’s work. The second reason was simply to broaden my horizons as a reader and step slightly out of my comfort zone.

Because I’m
David
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Having just finished Hysteria, which was absolutely fantastic, this collection fell a bit flat for me. My review can be read here ---> https://wp.me/p5t5Tf-1QT
A.E.
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*** Review copy received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review ***

I used to feel (and perhaps still feel a bit) self-conscious about reviewing poetry, because my thought is that I’m generally not good at it or that I’m going to leave out something crucial, and mostly that I’m not going to offer a substantive or long enough review. I challenged myself to change this with the new poetry collection from Stephanie M. Wytovich, Apocalyptic Mannequin. The first poem is a cathartic
Patrick McDonough
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It won’t come to a surprise for many of you that Stephanie M. Wytovich is a hypnotic poet. An artisan in painting bleak imagery with words. In her shadows lies a subtle beauty. A beauty that you can appreciate for a fleeting moment before something attacks, or kills while supplying a gruesome goodbye. Throughout the 90 poems we witness our own destruction, from advanced technology, to supernatural sisterhoods, creatures that impale, and half-organic, half-manufactured humanoids. Below is my shor ...more
Yolanda Sfetsos
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was really excited when I received a paperback copy of this really nice book last week and couldn't wait to read it. I mean, look at that creepy/pretty cover, and the title.

So, as soon as I finished The Institute, I got stuck into it.

There are 90 amazing poems included in this collection. They come in all shapes and sizes, but one thing they all share is a surreal and very traumatic quality that sends your mind floating in a river of blood and ash, littered with the bones of the
Red Lagoe
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Grab a drink. Go somewhere safe, preferrably with a view. Because after each poem, I stared out into the world and wanted to scoop up all of the good that's left in it and stuff it inside my slowly decaying body for safe-keeping.
You do not need to be a "poetry person" to love this. I'm not. But I do love darkness and exploring the grotesque nature of things.
I have to take this book in small doses. Wytovich's poems are like dashes of mayhem in my otherwise mundane life, and help me re
Claire Holland
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Set in a post-apocalyptic world that at times seems all too near, Wytovich’s poems conjure up frighteningly beautiful and uncomfortably prescient imagery. Populated by a cast of unsettling, compelling characters, this collection is one that stuck with me. Definitely recommend!
Laurel
Bri
Sep 29, 2019
Willow Croft
Oct 05, 2019

• The Fearing: Air and Dust (The Fearing #3)
  • The Pale White
  • The Fearing: Water and Wind (The Fearing #2)
  • The Fearing: Earth and Ember (The Fearing #4)
  • An Invitation to Darkness (Short Sharp Shocks! Book 33)
  • 69: A Short Novel of Cosmic Horror
  • Ritual
  • The Possession of Natalie Glasgow
  • Violet
  • Slash
  • To Be Devoured
  • The Fearing: Fire and Rain (The Fearing #1)
  • Black Heart Boys' Choir
  • Weeping Season
  • On the Night Border
  • The Festering Ones
  • Blood Sugar
  • Lullabies for Suffering: Tales of Addiction Horror
Stephanie M. Wytovich is an American poet, novelist, and essayist. Her work has been showcased in numerous venues such as Weird Tales, Gutted: Beautiful Horror Stories, Fantastic Tales of Terror, Year's Best Hardcore Horror: Volume 2, The Best Horror of the Year: Volume 8, as well as many others.

Wytovich is the Poetry Editor for Raw Dog Screaming Press, an adjunct at Western Connecticut State Uni
“The definition of body is buried.” 0 likes