Start by marking “A Soldier's Poem” as Want to Read:
A Soldier's Poem

A Soldier's Poem

He’s devoted to days of old. But when a soldier from the past comes to life, will she capture his heart?

History professor Jack Ellison Wiles longs to make his mark on academia. But when his late uncle leaves him a book shop with “hidden treasure” inside, he’s stuck hunting it down before he can sell the store. Rummaging through piles of knickknacks, he nearly j
Published September 2019

To ask other readers questions about A Soldier's Poem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Soldier's Poem

Start your review of A Soldier's Poem
Les Romantiques
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Posted on Les Romantiques - Le forum du site
Reviewed by Rinou
Review Copy from the Authors

I’m a sucker for time-travels and I admit I didn’t read the synopsis entirely before asking for the book on Netgalley. In doing so I didn’t know beforehand the big surprise that is the heroine’s origin and I only appreciated the discovery more! Nice basic idea.

Benetta
Jamie Brydone-Jack
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well-Written Time-Travel Romance

What an unusual and cracking good read! I'll admit that I enjoy a good time travel romance, but this is definitely different from most and superior in so many ways. For one thing, it is clear that the authors—and this is written by three authors who go under one pen name—have done an amazing amount of research into the Civil War, including things like soldiers’ slang. When we first meet the heroine, she's almost incomprehensible because of all the 19th
Rinou
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Une histoire agréable avec un petit côté conte et des personnages sympathiques. J’ai aimé le côté décidé de Benetta et sa loyauté, et j’ai aimé les voir évoluer tous les deux et repenser ce qu’ils attendent de la vie.

Avis complet https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Victoria
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting read packed full of history, emotions and finding out who you are, what you want and going for it. The characters were developed and I felt a connection to them, I could see so many possibilities for their story and was pleased with how it ended. I thought Ben was a good strong female characters, even when she was vulnerable, together Ben and Jack made each other so much more and each had something to teach the other. This is a new author for me, I enjoyed how they wove this story ...more
Heather Wamboldt
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must-read time travel romance...

A Soldier's Poem is the first book in the "A Novel Time Tale" series and the first book I have read by this author. This time travel romance is a must-read and a real page-turner. The characters are well developed and likable and the storyline is well written. Benetta and Jack hope to find a way to get her back to the Civil War era but does she really want to leave? With drama, intrigue, suspense, and romance, this book keeps you enthralled from star
Kia B
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read many, many time travel tales and enjoyed them. However, this time travel tale had a wonderful, unique twist that notched up my rating, earning it a 5-star review - a rarity with me. Since I do not want to give too much away, this is a short review.

I loved Jack. he is an old soul living in a modern world; Ben (or Benetta) is modern for her time. These two meet, unexpectedly and it is a wonderful love story of learning to live and love in the present.

If you like
Tayra Sanders
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jack's uncle dies, he is left to deal with his uncles bookstore. He was left a special gift his uncle left. While wondering through the stacks one day, he is surprised by a woman in a civil war uniform. Then she shoots him. Ben doesn't know what to think when she finds herself in a book shop. She realizes that she has travel through time. While she and Jack try to find a way to get her back they grow closer.
Elizabeth McDaniel
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an emotional and intriguing time travel love story about Jack and Ben. Jack has been left a bookstore from his uncle and discovers Ben in there from another time. Not only that, she’s from the pages of a book and in the in she dies. Anyway, they fall in love. What will happen to Jack and Ben? Will Ben go back to her time? Good read

Sandy
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A time-traveler from the Civil War.
What an out of sight and magical time-travel romance and so unique. I love time-travel and this one is so different from the placement of the traveler to who she meets and helps her. I am so glad I started this one early one morning because I just could not put it down. The last chapter will bring tears to your eyes I have been using outstanding a bit too much lately but gang, that is the only word that comes close. Pick this must read up!! I did receive a fre
Pat
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This time traveling romance was so wonderfully written that I was glued to my kindle from the very first page! The characters were so well developed that as I turned each and every page I felt like Benetta and Jack jumped from the pages and pulled me right into their story as it effortlessly unfolded!
Brenda Moser
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a well written time travel romance between Benetta and Jack. The author does a great job building the story and pulls you in with the intrigue and suspense as well as the romance. She brings it to life with her vividly painted scenes and had me hooked from start to finish reading. I loved and highly recommend this book.

Amy Alvis
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jack has been busy making a name for himself in the world of academia. But when his uncle dies, he is forced to take a step back from it to deal with his uncles bookstore. But before he can sell it, he must find the special gift his uncle left him. While wondering through the stacks one day, he is surprised by the appearance of a woman in a civil war uniform. He doesn't know what to think when the enactor shoots him with her musket.

Benetta aka Ben, doesn't know what to think when she
Kanika Arora
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Soldier’s Poem by Ava Douglan is a novel that divulges a tale of time travel romance with magical fantasies.

Jack Ellison Wills (the male protagonist), a history professor waiting for his tenure review at the University of Saint Alban State, inherited a vintage book shop by the name of The Literate Jester in Frederick, Maryland from his late Uncle Charlie.

Benetta Tolland (the female protagonist), a soldier from the era of Civil War time travelled only to find the real truth of her existence.
Candy Briggs
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This author is new to me but I so enjoyed her book. For a time travel story it is unique. Jack Ellison Wiles is a professor at a college and teaches about the Civil War. His Uncle Charlie died and he has to do something with it. His Uncle left him something somewhere in the store but he only left a vague clue.
Benetta (Ben) Tolland was a Civil War soldier, who somehow had been moved into this strange place.
At seeing Jack, she was frightened and bought up her musket. Anyway, she shot h
Christine Woinich
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
It took a bit to get into for me, but then it held my attention. The mix of history, past, and the present propelled this love story across time. Jack was a consumed man but the better parts came through as he fell in love. He was kind and gentle. Benetta was a strong person, going through what she did, and accepted what had happened, then found her way to true love. I recommend this story.

I received a copy of this story through Enticing Journey Book Promotions, and this is my unsoli
Wickedly Sweet and Synful Book Blog Twilla
This book was very slow starting. It was more history than romantic in my opinion. I almost stopped reading it. It finally kicked off around 65%. From there on it was perfection. I’m a fan of the civil war that’s why I read this book but this went overboard at times. The ending won me over.
Chris
added it
Nov 06, 2019
Paula  Obermeier McCarty
Nov 10, 2019

• This Earl of Mine (Bow Street Bachelors, #1)
  • Dark Memento (Verona Bay, #1)
  • One More Song
  • The Highland Outlaw
  • Red Awakening (Red Zone, #2)
  • Hard Asset (Cobra Elite, #2)
  • Nothing to Fear (Final Hour #2)
  • The Lost Lord (London Scandals, #3)
  • How to Love a Duke in Ten Days (Devil You Know, #1)
  • The Bewildered Bride (Advertisements for Love, #4)
  • Emigrating with an Earl: A Steamy Regency Romance (Ravishing Regencies Book 8)
  • Daisy McDare and the Deadly Restaurant Affair (Daisy McDare #6)
  • Red Snowflakes
  • Brother's Billionaire Best Friend (A Second Chance Romance Book 2)
  • Alpha Bully (Wolf Ridge High, #1)
  • Heart of a Highlander (Real Men Wear Kilts)
  • Pirate's Prey
  • 'Twas the Kiss Before Christmas (Christmas Mountain Clean Romance Series, #4)

Who is Ava?

Ava is Anna, Vivian, and Amelia. She’s an idea Anna had once upon a time–what if a group of amazing writers came together to create a series? Anna talked with Vivian who expanded on her concept. They brought in Amelia to round out the team.

Ava writes a blend of time travel, magical realism, contemporary, and historical romance. She blends them together to create