Start by marking “Steel Heart: A Jesse Alexander Novel” as Want to Read:
Steel Heart: A Jesse Alexander Novel

Steel Heart: A Jesse Alexander Novel

With the Hope Diamond locked around her throat, Jesse Alexander finds herself in the unfortunate position of being a walking national treasure. With the Starfall stone poised to pulse and flood the world with more of its magic, she must figure out how to remove it before she becomes its pawn yet again.

Unfortunately, the stone has a mind—and plans—of its own. Add in a
Published December 25th 2019 by Pen & Page Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Steel Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steel Heart

Start your review of Steel Heart: A Jesse Alexander Novel
Shasha
Plot: 5
Execution: 1.5
Well, I read this with a headache. At 20 percent I had to stop. The circuitous dialogue and repetitive information was a pain.
It felt like this had turned into a book from the Magical Romantic Comedies series. Siberians! Claim! Maim! Tigers don't purr! The world is in the way of our happiness!
I started up again and was sucked in by the plot. Some old characters, some new, and some in need of rescue (including the heroine after heroic deeds). The father is great!
I'm still
Mary Heron
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Still battles to be fought.

Jessie and Anatoly have come to an understanding of sorts, he is her tiger and as such she can bite and maul him whenever she pleases. Their relationship would progress further but Jessie is still recovering from injuries she received (see Water Viper) so Anatoly is being patient wanting a healthy mate. Ferdinand ( the wolf mercenary from Water Viper) has plans to kidnap Jessie, he wants her as part of his pack and also wants to make use of the Hope Diamond
Shaleah
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Great plot to follow up book one.
This story would have been shorter if once something was said, it moved on. Sadly it did not. Inside jokes are used to death including references to past events. Once a new character enters the room, the same information is gone over.
It made me feel like it was assumed anyone who reads it won't understand unless things are repeated, sometimes more than twice. I was let down.
Julie
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
Stephanie
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jesse’s adventures continue in this anticipated sequel to Water Viper.

I love Jesse. She is a complex character that is fearless in her compassion and her sense of justice. In Steel Heart, we find out more about the plot that was uncovered in the end of Water Viper and a bit more insight into Jesse’s past. I am excited at the possibility to learn more about the weapons clans in future books.
There doesn’t seem to be as much action in this book as there was in Water Viper. Considering Jesse’s
ACME  TEEN BOOKS Kids, YA & NA Too!
I do love me some Jesse Alexander. Different than any other character we've seen from the indomitable Ms. Blaine, Jesse is one tough, funny and downright crazy chick. It was great to see her again after Water Viper. This book was a nice followup to Book One. We got to see some of the previous characters as well as some new ones. I did feel that there was some repetition in the dialogue that could have been weeded out and thus the 4 instead of a 5. However, Steel Heart still grabbed my attention ...more
William Howe
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked it

I went back and reread the first novel to refresh my memory. This one is a bit weaker, but not by much. Mainly due to the original mystery of the MC’s identity being solved.

A lot happens. That’s really what makes this a good book. Characters die, actual violence takes place (not just threats), and there is a mystery that needs solving.

The thing I found bothersome is the bickering. Not that the characters argue; it’s that it becomes repetitive. For supposedly driven, single-minded
Mary
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So Awesome!

Before beginning this 2nd book in the Jesse Alexander series, I re-read the 1st (Water Viper). I’m glad I did, because it helped to have refreshed my memory...plus, Water Viper was such a great story.
I’m not going to say anything that might give away the plot, and you can read the synopsis on line. However, I will say I couldn’t put the book down and loved how the plot continues the relationships revealed in book 1, while Jesse proves trouble finds her no matter how well-behaved she
Cryogenic Fire
Best Xmas Present

There is nothing better than waking up to a new R.J. Blain, especially not when it's xmas morning. Now the author herself has stated that she considers this a feral book, and she's right; it's a feral brat of a book and I love it dearly for it. It continues on from Water Viper and has Jesse doing what she does best, wandering off and wandering into trouble. It's fun, it has sass and snark and it hits all the right notes, and yes, I devoured it in one sitting on xmas day, because
Randi
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Sequel to Water Viper

I don't know what other readers were expecting but this is exactly what I was expecting to continue Jesse's story, and it was worth the wait. A lot of questions that weren't answered in Water Viper were answered in Steel Heart. If you follow RJ Blain on Facebook or get her newsletter, you were aware there would be some deaths of beloved characters but the deaths were unfortunately necessary to make sure Jesse was motivated to not only avenge them but also to get
Julie
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
More Water Viper/Jesse Alexander in action.

I recommend re-reading Water Viper before jumping feet first into Steel Heart. More Jesse and Nate, more of the First Family, and answers to questions you didn’t know you had. I especially enjoyed meeting Jesse’s parents and picking up a little more about her early years. more detail are introduced about the government, the magic of this dystopian United States, the various shapechangers, and Starfall Stones. If you enjoyed Water Viper, you’ll get a
Adena Lee
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jesse Alexander may disagree, but I agree with all the other characters Ms. Blain introduces us to - Jesse gets into trouble in bars, so she avoid them. However, I also agree that trouble follows her like a needy puppy (or starstone in her case) and mayhem ensues. It really does not help that the tigress in her tends to jump into whatever mayhem is brewing with all four feet. Ms. Blain took her time providing us with this sequal to "Water Viper" and it was worth the wait. Brava, Blain the feral ...more
Sarah Nutter
Awesome!

I very much enjoyed this book. We saw a lot of growth from Jesse, although that growth did take a toll on her. As always she is getting into trouble from the get go, but it turns out well. One thing to remember, though. This book is NOT a comedy. It doesn't need to be. Steel Heart takes on some very serious themes and Jesse in general is a serious person. She has baggage, but who doesn't? Blain did a more than excellent job in writing Steel Heart and I personally LOVE it. I can not wait
Truly
Dec 16, 2019 added it
Steel Heart: A Jesse Alexander Novel by R.J. Blain is an captivating paranormalfantasy. A story full of up expected twists andturns that are sure to leave you on the edge of your seat wanting more. The characters are well-written with interesting backstories that help add a mysterious unexpected twist to the story line. *I received a complimentary copy from RABT Book Tours and the author in exchangefor an honest and unbiased review.* ...more
Maggie Mae
Steel Heart: A Jesse Alexander Novel by R.J. Blain is an intriguing paranormal fantasy. A story full of magic and intrigue withtwists and turns that are sure to leave you on the edge of your seat until the very end. A well-written story that sweeps you away.The characters have interesting backstories that help add a mysterious unexpected twist to the story line. *I received a complimentary copy from RABT Book Tours and the author in exchangefor an honest and unbiased review.* ...more
christinapeyton
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to love it

I loved the first book and was excited when the second book in the series finally came out. I love her books because her characters are unique and the story lines are interesting. Instead of action this book was filled with long internal and external monologues from Jess. I kept waiting for things to happen and Instead we spent most of the book stuck inside her head
Sennett
Five stars

I love this series!! Jesse is a strong sightly broken but fiercely independent main character. It's been fun to see how far she has grown. This series is different than RJ Blain's other works but in a good way. If you are looking for a strong female lead who who kicks butt, has amazing complex and rich support structure this is the series for you.
Lexie Winston
Amazing

What a fantastic follow up to one of my all time favourite books. RJ Blain is a master story teller who’s stories cast a spell and leave you wanting more. Her characters are loveable and the story grabs you and doesn’t want to let go. I love the relationships and families in this series and can not wait to read more offerings. Highly recommended
Rebecca H Myers
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book!!!

Once again RJ Blain does it again! What a great story! You get laughter and heartbreak along with good winning over evil. During your read you are thinking "No this can't happen"!! Go get the book, you won't regret it! But be sure to read Water Viper first. I love the chapter Jesse!
Heidi
Wonderful!

Just as good as the first one. The only thing I could find wrong with it is that it wasn't as long as the first one. I cannot wait for the next book and am a little worried as there was no mention as to when it might be coming out. I have the feeling I'll be re-reading them both alot before it comes out as I'm not patient.
Paul Stansel
Fantastic second book

The Jesse Alexander series is definitely different than anything else RJ Blain writes, and I love it. Jesse is a tough, funny, and at times crazy heroine and I’m glad there will be more of her.
LAB☺
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook
Too much repetitive dialogue. It finally got going around the 30% mark, and then the last third was the same repetitive dialogue. Still, I like the characters and the story and plan on reading the rest of the the series when those books come out.
Joanne Watkins USA
Fantastic

Another fabulous addition to Jesse’s story. The whole cast is here and gets air time. My only criticism is that she and Nate end up apart in the novel for a while, again. The plot is great it’s just I like reading about them together.
Indira Rivera
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely and Awesome And Hard.

This book was lovely because it gave me more of Jesse. It was awesome because it had all the action I needed at this point in time. AND it was hard because I had to finish it.
Natalie panda eyes
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I was looking forward to this one but it’s a shame there was nothing new. Kidnapping and sacrifice again. Apart from that it was feel good affection giving for Jesse. I do love the characters though and it was a late nighter. Another one of those books where it’s best to just enjoy the ride.
Carolyn Evans
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Christmas gift

This book was so good I had to read it to my husband all the way through in one session because neither of us wanted to wait to find out what happened. Even better, there will be two more books in the series.
Tabitha
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great book from RJ Blain. A great continuation of the story from Water Viper, which I love re-reading. I will be adding Steel Heart for multiple re-reads as well. I love these characters.

Tiffany L Poynter
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Damn Bars!!

Rj has done it once agin. Sucked me into a great novel and made me sad to see it end. I really enjoy this series. Jesse’s shenanigans she gets into every time she goes to a bar for a beer fills me with glee! So excited there’s going to be more.
Nkai Moonwatyr
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The sequel we've been waiting for

And it does not disappoint! 10/10 Sad and excited that this isn't the last of the series - sad that I have to wait longer for the conclusion to Jesse's story, but oh so happy that there will be more!!
Jolie Goehl
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow, just wow

What a wonderful continuation of the book Water Viper. I love Jesse and her wild family and friends. I laugh every time
I hear her horses names. Another great one.
RABT Book Tours: Steel Heart by RJ Blain 1 1 Dec 24, 2019 09:53PM

• Bat out of Hell
  • Ginger Snapped
  • Tomes Apprentice (The Tomes of Kaleria Book 1)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Bonds (Royal States, #6)
  • Wyrde and Wayward (House of Werth Book 1)
  • Family and Honor (Jacky Leon #2)
  • Hot and Haunted (Wakeman Grimore, #1)
  • Storm Called (Royal States, #5)
  • Well of Magic (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill #4)
  • Oath Sworn (Jacky Leon #1)
  • Huntress (Royal States, #4)
  • A Guiding Light (Royal States, #3)
  • Breath (Ghost Mountain Wolf Shifters, #5)
  • Dragon Embraced (The Covert Dragons, #8)
  • Claustrophobic
  • The Captive King (Royal States, #2)
  • Blade Witch: A Science Fiction Holiday Novella
RJ Blain suffers from a Moleskine journal obsession, a pen fixation, and a terrible tendency to pun without warning.

When she isn't playing pretend, she likes to think she's a cartographer and a sumi-e painter. In reality, she herds cats and a husband, and obeys the commands of Tsu Dhi, the great warrior fish.

In her spare time, she daydreams about being a spy. Should that fail, her contingency plan