Start by marking “Asylum Road (Jake Caldwell #4)” as Want to Read:
Asylum Road (Jake Caldwell #4)

Asylum Road (Jake Caldwell #4)

Nearly two years ago, former mafia leg-breaker Jake Caldwell had ruthless drug lord Shane Langston staring down the wrong end of Jake’s pistol. Instead of pulling the trigger like he should have, Jake let the law handle it.

Now Langston’s escaped from a Missouri maximum security prison with a deadly goal – kill the men who put him there. With Langston’s crosshairs focused
ebook
Published October 1st 2019 by Lakewater Press

To ask other readers questions about Asylum Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asylum Road

Start your review of Asylum Road (Jake Caldwell #4)
Cathy
Anyone who knows me as a lover of historical fiction and literary fiction may be surprised at the change of genre. However, I love this series and know I can rely upon it for some heart-pumping, full-on action when a change of pace is needed and your reading mojo is crying out for a gripping pageturner.

Asylum Road is the fourth in James L Weaver’s Jake Caldwell series. I’ve read and thoroughly enjoyed all the previous books in the series: Poor Boy Road, Ares Road and Blackbird Road.
R.G. Belsky
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you like hard-boiled action, check out Asylum Road by James L. Weaver. This is the first book I've read in the Jake Caldwell series, but it works fine as a stand-alone. Caldwell is a former mob enforcer who's now on the side of the law - even though he doesn't always stick strictly to the law when going after law breakers. The bad guy in this one is pretty terrifying - a ruthless cold-blooded killer who breaks out of prison and is out for revenge against the man who put him there: Jake Caldwe ...more
John Williamson
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Upon reading the opening scenes of “Asylum Road”, Jim Weaver’s fourth and latest in his Jake Caldwell series, one is reminded of the beginning of “The Hound of the Baskervilles” – that original and most famous story which might fairly be labeled “rural noir”. In both stories, there’s been a hideous death and the culprit is at large – somewhere out there, lurking, waiting, planning – an implied danger, a threat to society. In Asylum Road, that danger takes the form of Shane Langston, a murderer a ...more
R.K. Emery
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
Sometimes I get to a point where I feel bogged down in a certain genre and need a change. That is when a Mystery or Thriller is always my go-to. I feel like they make me think and help get my mind off of things more than any other genre.

There is a great balance between the characters, their life, and the suspense/thriller aspect. The themes with bikers and drug lords and trafficking are dark, but very real to the world these days.

The plot was fast paced and flowed smoothly and the c
Kathy
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is Book 4 in a series titled “Jake Caldwell”. Lots of action here. Scenes written well enough you can almost see a movie in your mind. Weaver has developed a character called Jake Caldwell, a bad guy gone straight...kind of. This is a character I like, and characters make a huge difference in how much I enjoy a book.

There is plenty of violence here. I don’t know that I’d call it graphic. I suppose it becomes whatever you decide to “see” in your head. It was not anything that bothered me. J
Jim
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The 4th installment of Jake Caldwell, Asylum Road, by James L. Weaver, did not disappoint! Asylum Road, like the previous 3 Caldwell thrillers, was a fast-paced thrill ride that kept the pages turning. The book kicks off in a hurry when Jake and Maggie, back from their honeymoon, learn that Shane Langston, a psychopath that likes to leave dead bodies everywhere he goes, had escaped from prison.

As Jake and Bear look to keep their families safe and find Langston, this tale takes some dramatic tur
Bobbi Wagner
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the suspense and mystery that it brought.  I was pulled into the story and had me fast turning pages. I enjoyed the attention to detail this author has throughout the story as well as the interesting characters. This is my first book by this author and I will be looking for more. The twists and turns had me sitting on edge of my seat. Great characters, story and I highly recommend reading it.
Elsie Pitt
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Asylum Road is the beginning of the one of the best rides that James has created yet! This is my first by this author but it won't be the last for sure! Raw, Gritty, and Jake is well swoon worthy being that he doesn't always follow the law when catching those that break it. James writes a masterful story that will leave your heart beating and will set your teeth on edge. It is terrifying and brilliant. The plot is simple and well written with so much thrill that you won't be able to put it down! ...more
Laurel
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another winning book from author, James Weaver! This fourth book in the series was even better than the last one. The characters are getting stronger as we see relationships evolve and develop. We see more of Jake Caldwell’s softer side( the sex trafficking has him really disturbed) which I loved. Plus I can’t get enough of Jakes sidekick, Sheriff Bear Parley. The story is fast paced with lots of action that starts on the first page and goes to the end. I recommend reading books 1-3 first but yo ...more
Brenda Moser
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a well written book with intense,gritty story line. The author does a fantastic job bringing his story to life with his vividly detailed scenes along with all the action throughout. It's a dark thriller that had me glued to the pages from beginning to end. The story moves at a steady pace with the author taking you on a thrilling ride. I highly recommend this book.

Truly
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Asylum Road is the forth book in the Jake Caldwell series and can easily be read as a standalone novel.  Full of explosive action, gripping tension and a plot you can’t predict. Another winning book from author, James Weaver!  *I received a complimentary copy from RABT Book Tours and the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.*
Merry Jelks-Emmanuel
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This action packed story has you on the edge of your seat as you read wanting more of the thrill but caught up in the drama of Jake and his friend Bear Parley. As they work with a new set of biker friends to bring down a foe he should have taken care of instead of letting the law do it, you are caught up in the action. You feel like you are right there with front row seats as this story unfolds holding your breath waiting for what's coming next! I couldn't put this one down!

I receive
Laurie Bell
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
James L. Weaver has done it again.

Jake and Bear are back and Asylum Road is full of explosive action, gripping tension and a plot you can’t predict. A brilliant edition to the Jake Caldwell series.

The plot follows on from the tag in book three… drug lord Langston has escaped prison and has Jake in his crosshairs. To keep his family safe Jake needs to find Langston before Langston find him. And it’s gonna get bloody before it’s done.

Weaver’s action sequences ar
Jodi Gallegos
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was dying to get my hands on this book since I closed Blackbird Road! And I was NOT disappointed.

Asylum Road, the 4th installment of the Jake Caldwell series, is just as raw as and even more intense than the previous books. Shane Langston has escaped from prison and nobody is safe. While trying to ensure their families are safe, Jake and Bear have to find the former mob boss before he finds them, and this time, Jake's eager to pull the trigger. Throw a motorcycle gang and a human t
Warsaw Jim
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Asylum Road (Jake Caldwell #4) is a great read. I've now read the four Road Series books and have enjoyed each one. The personal transition that Jake, the main character, has made from a mob strong arm guy in Poor Boy Road to the family man that is protecting all that is dear to him, his family, is uplifting. The writing in Asylum Road flows very well with very good story telling traits. If you haven't followed the series I'd recommend you pick up a copy of Poor Boy Road and start at the beginni ...more
Jim Thomas
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
An Exciting and Fun read!!!
Jake Caldwell and Bear are back in an action-packed adventure! In this, the 4th installment of the Jake Caldwell series, Shane Langston has escaped prison and Jake & Bear find themselves trying to hunt down this madman before Shane can fulfill his plans for retribution on them and their families. While in pursuit of Langston, Jake and Bear uncover a human trafficking ring that leave the reader wondering if this wasn’t ripped from the headlines as it feels so
Trish Ennis
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I started reading the Jake Caldwell series because I know James Weaver. I kept reading the series because it's great! Asylum Road is another great read from Weaver. I was hooked from the first book, Poor Boy Road, and now I look forward to each new adventure. There is a great mix of romance, tension and humor. The bad guys are not all bad, and the good guys are not entirely good as Jake continues to face his past. This book will entertain you and leave you waiting for the next one!
Erica Williams
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the latest installment in this series! Jake Caldwell is a fascinating character. I suggest grabbing all the books in this series and catching up before the new one comes out!
Ruthann
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not my typical book genre but I couldn't put it down. The storyline kept me hooked! I especially loved how some of the characters and scenes were described!! So much detail I could easily paint a picture in my mind like I was at the scene. Just as good as the other books in the series, if not better. Loved the suspense. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!!
Highly recommend this author and ALL his books. Would make a great movie!!
Amy
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Asylum Road is the fourth installment from James L Weaver’s series, Jake Caldwell. It is, also, my first introduction to his work. Even though, this book was part of the series, I think it can be read as a stand alone. I did not feel lost from not reading the previous books. However, I would love to read the first three books to find out what happened prior.
I enjoyed Asylum Road. I felt like I was on a thrilling ride from the start. I was gripping the edge of my seat all the way to the end. I w
C. Gonzales
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
This was a very enjoyable read for what I needed. I was in a mood for something mysterious and twisted, and got exactly that.

The intricate twists and turns together with Weaver's amazing mind and ability to strategize keeps the reader guessing as the story slowly unravels and the motives become clear.

I liked this book on so many levels and I do recommend it.
RABT Book Tours and PR
Sep 15, 2019
Kate Foster
Sep 05, 2019
Heather Wamboldt
Oct 28, 2019
James Weaver
Sep 05, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
D.L. Shepherd
marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2019
Dee
marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2019
RABT Book Tours: Asylum Road by James L. Weaver 1 3 Oct 02, 2019 09:25AM
RABT Book Tours: Asylum Road by James L. Weaver 1 3 Sep 30, 2019 10:50PM

• The Cure for Stupidity: Using Brain Science to Explain Irrational Behavior at Work
  • The Winner's Circle
  • Shoes on the Stairs
  • Scott Free
  • A Beginner's Guide to Skepticism
  • Whiskey Everything
  • Saints (Saints and Sinners Duet #1)
  • Trust Me, Tiffani (Faithful Falls #3)
  • Wrecked: Luke & Marie (Savage Trust #1)
  • Break You (Boys of Trinity Hall, #1)
  • Scarred: Mikhael & Alina (Savage Trust #2)
  • Lucid (Lucid, #1)
  • Loving the Monster Within (Black Hollow, #0.5)
  • Frayed: Trent & Daniella (Savage Trust Book 3)
James L Weaver is the Kansas City author of the Jake Caldwell series from Lakewater Press featuring:

• Poor Boy Road (Jake Caldwell Book #1) - IAN Thriller of the Year finalist,

• Ares Road (Jake Caldwell Book #2) - New Apple Official Selection for Thrillers and IAN Thriller of the Year finalist

• Blackbird Road (Jake Caldwell Book #3) - Solo Medalist Winner for th