Start by marking “The Caretakers” as Want to Read:
The Caretakers

The Caretakers

In the isolated estate she’s found the perfect getaway. But there’s no escaping the past in this chilling novel from the bestselling author of The Unremembered Girl.

Filmmaker Tessa Shepherd helped free a man she believed was wrongly imprisoned for murder. When he kills again, Tessa’s life is upended.

She’s reeling with guilt, her reputation destroyed. Worse, Tessa’s mother has unexpectedlyupended.

She’s

Expected publication: April 14th 2020 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Caretakers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Caretakers

Start your review of The Caretakers
Eliza Maxwell
Aug 10, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I'm thrilled to say that THE CARETAKERS will be released in April 2020, and I cannot wait to share it with you all! In the meantime, happy reading everyone, and cheers to a wonderful rest of 2019. All the best. ~Eliza
Rums The Reader
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edna
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

She’s reeling with guilt, her reputation destroyed. Worse, Tessa’s mother has unexpectedly passed away, and her sister, Margot, turns on her after tensions from their past escalate. Hounded by a bullying press, Tessa needs an escape. That’s when she learns of a strange inheritance bequeathed by her mother: a derelict and isolated estate known as Fall
Sayo
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I really enjoyed this book, but it is SO similar to a book I read immediately prior to this book called The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell. While suspenseful and an enjoyable read, I almost knew what was going to happen, based on what happened in the Lisa Jewell book.

Perhaps the similarities would not have been so blatantly obvious, but I literally closed Jewell's book and opened this one, and in many ways it felt like the retelling of the same story using different words.

Having said t
Amy Twigg
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Atmospheric, mysterious and unputdownable! The Caretakers sits somewhere between thriller, general and historical fiction.

This is perfect if you're wanting to dip your toes into something mysterious, with plenty of suspense. Each character in the book is believable and compelling; while the story follows the protagonist Tessa, you'll care about everyone she interacts with as well.

Maxwell takes her time with the plot - nothing feels rushed, which is essential for this genre. Often endings can f
Kali Thomas
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars!! The only thing keeping it from being a 5-star read is that it took a bit for me to really get into it. When I did, though, it was a WILD ride. I loved the fact that the novel had interweaving stories. Although Tessa's role in freeing an innocent man from prison was a big deal, you quickly learn that the real story is with her family. The writer did a phenomenal job with the mystery - telling you JUST enough to keep you guessing but not quite enough to make it obvious. The last few chap ...more
Leah
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book.... loved everything about it. The characters and the atmospheric setting really made the story come alive. It was amazing. I particularly enjoyed the present and past stories being told from the various characters points of view. I’m not sure which genre I would put this book in; thriller. Historical, general fiction. If you like any of the aforementioned categories I would strongly encourage you to read this wonderful story. It’s not often a book stays with me after reading but ...more
Tierra
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While I love a good mystery its quite hard to find ones I love but this book has become one of my personal favorites. While Tessa is the main character of the novel the author does a wonderful job of still making you care about the secondary characters and plot. Nothing felt rushed or out of nowhere. I feel the author did an amazing job on leading you into a journey filled with so many different emotions.

I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review volunta
Emily
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
This was an excellent mystery read. It had a well-constructed cast of characters, and it is suspenseful but not overly scary, which works well in its benefit. I enjoyed reading this story, and it was clearly thought out and plot-driven, never feeling rushed but also not feeling as though it was too slow.

Thank you to Lake Union Publishing and NetGalley for the chance to read this book!
☕ Carolina
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
The first thing I need to say is that this book is AMAZINGLY written!!! Such good writing, I’m speechless.

Loved the book, the way a chapter flows to the next with a connecting line or subject, amazing! And the last chapter was brilliant! There were some plot twist I didn’t see coming, a very mysterious book, I didn’t want to stop reading!

*arc provided by netgalley*
Irene
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Caretakers by Eliza Maxwell is a mystery with creepy elements and weirdly eccentric characters. An ending that quite literally didn't see coming. An enjoyable read.

Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for the opportunity to preview the book.
Missy
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent mystery read. It wasn't so scary and that is great for me! I enjoyed it and could not put it down until the end!
Anyone who likes a great mystery or historical fiction, this book is for you.
The author did a wonderful job keeping you in suspense and taking you back to the beginning of Tessa's family but not giving anything away!

Thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for the ARC.
Neetu
Nov 12, 2019
Susan
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title of this book, The Caretakers, tells it all. In this fast-paced mystery within mystery/thriller, relationships are forged anew, broken, and unraveled.

At the reading of their mother’s will, Tessa and Margot, twin sisters who have been estranged for many years (Tessa blaming herself for a terrible accident that left Margot severely injured), they learn, to their astonishment, that their mother had been adopted and that they are heirs to a dilapidated estate somewhere in the wi
Lisa

• The Lucky One
  • The Christmas Party
  • How to Pronounce Knife
  • The Other Daughter
  • Isaiah's Legacy (Prophets and Kings #3)
  • 999: The Extraordinary Young Women of the First Official Jewish Transport to Auschwitz
  • The Art of Health: Simple and Powerful Keys for Creating Health in your Life
  • Wildland
  • The Fortune Teller's Promise
  • God's Heart for You: Devotions and Bible Promises for Women
  • Zed (Rough Ink, #1)
  • Point of View: A Fresh Look at Work, Faith, and Freedom
Eliza Maxwell lives in Texas with a patient man, two impatient children and a bird named Sarah. When she's not working on her next novel, she stays busy trying to keep her children from some future therapist's chair.
You can reach her at theelizamaxwell@gmail.com.