Start by marking “Mécanique de la chute” as Want to Read:
Mécanique de la chute

Mécanique de la chute

Un empire financier bâti sur deux générations suffit-il à mettre les descendants à l’abri des tracas de la vie ? Apparemment non car Jay Gladstone, l’héritier flamboyant de cette fortune, est assailli par les mêmes tracas que le commun des mortels : épouse exigeante, progéniture insupportable, obligations familiales, contraintes sociales. Également propriétaire d’une équip ...more
Published September 5th 2019 by Liana Levi (first published August 21st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Mécanique de la chute, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mécanique de la chute

Start your review of Mécanique de la chute
Tripfiction
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A big and ambitious novel set in NEW YORK

The Hazards Of Good Fortune is a story of riches and intrigue. Jay Gladstone, his sister Bebe, and his brother Franklin are heirs to the Gladstone dynasty. They run one of the biggest real estate companies in New York, and have recently expanded overseas into a casino in Macau, and property in South Africa. They are on the up and up.

Jay owns an NBA fran
Jean Brown
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars..highly entertaining. Brought to mind Tom Wolfe’s A Man in Full which I loved.
Vivek Tejuja
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Seth Greenland's "I Regret Everything". It was witty, sharp and biting and his latest book is no different. Thank God for that! "The Hazards of Good Fortune" while being hilarious and often witty, does not stop being profound or showing us what the author wants us to see, one which is thinly veiled and not exposed to all. He explores big themes, big emotions and a big landscape in this book - New York and the Obama presidency.

Jay Gladstone is the kind of aware and 'woke' man I would lov
Cynthia
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have not remained engrossed in a 500+ page book in a very long time, but this book was unputdownable. It reminded me a lot of Bonfire of the Vanities, but updated for the 21st century. Highly recommend!
Dinah
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read. Hilarious and timely and true...
Kolumbina
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What a book!!! It grabbed me from the first page, couldn't stop reading. It looks big, 620 pages, but... A well written novel, really interesting story about various interconnected characters, impossible to put down.
An excellent, well developed epic novel, very modern happening in America during Obama's presidency.
Absolutely loved it.
Grateful to my Goodreads friends for this recommendation.
Jill Meyer
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the late 1980's, Tom Wolfe published "The Bonfires of the Vanities", which was acclaimed as a profound, satirical look at the go-go 1980's in New York City. I read it at the time but thought it was snarky and filled with unlikable characters who were little more than caricatures. Now, I don't mind "unlikable" characters, but they have to be INTERESTING "unlikable" characters, which I didn't find Wolfe's to be.

Thirty years later, author Seth Greenland has published "The Hazards of Good Fortun
Andrew
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delicious

This is a long book which just flies by because it is so good. Fast paced, well written, insightful, meaningful, Dickensian in scope. A modern story of our world. Timely. Just read it. Once you start you won’t stop. I’ve read all of Seth’s books and loved all of them.
Highly recommended.
Cecile
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A satire of the very wealthy New Yorkers and everything to do with contemporary America - race relations, university politics, class issues. Though quite caricatural and slightly annoying at first, it gathers pace and is ultimately quite entertaining
Tom Lutz
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seth Greenland has written in every form (plays, film, TV—my favorite Big Love) and many genres (satire, roman a clef, comic noir, noir, realist—my favorites before this one The Bones and The Angry Buddhist), and now he's tackled The Great American Novel. The title is an obvious play on Wm Dean Howells' A Hazard of New Fortunes, which like this novel takes on the big themes, the big social divides, and the big moral questions of the day, and like the Howells book, it is also about New York City ...more
Albert
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hazards of Good Fortune is the best and most compelling novel I have read in recent years.
It is on a par with, and this generation's equivalent of, Tom Wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities.
Seth Greenland has written a tour de force that brilliantly defines and brings to life many of the important currents and cross-currents that are pulsing through contemporary American life. of The writing is sharp, incisive, evocative. Beautifully crafted scenes spring off the page. There is high drama,
Barry Blaustein
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And they said, it couldn't
be done. Finally, someone has written a worthy successor to The Bonfire of the Vanities. Those familiar with his past work already know Mr. Greenland is a master chronicler of urban angst. But this time he has outdone himself. Highly recommended to anyone with a pulse.
Cliff Chenfeld
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hazards of Good Fortune is a topical yet personal novel that addresses a number of important contemporary issues with insight, humor and pace. In this crazy time in American society, we are lucky to have Seth Greenland who has the ambition and talent to create fiction that matters.
Diana
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really liked this book. Fascinating characters with a complicated, layered plot, very relevant to today's news. A page turner!
Christophe
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinant. Ce qui m’a le plus enthousiasmé, à la lecture de ce fabuleux roman, c’est la précision de la mécanique narrative (et en cela le titre français est plus pertinent que l’anglais, Les Périls d’une bonne fortune). Toutes les pièces d’horlogerie du récit s’emboîtent à merveille les unes dans les autres, ce qui rend la lecture absolument haletante. Toute la complexité de la société américaine contemporaine est somptueusement rendue dans l’implacable récit de la chute de Jay Gladstone, ce ma ...more
Karen Glass
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Hazards of Good Fortune is a superb read by Seth Greenland, a gifted and prolific writer. The book is gripping and extremely relevant and contains Greenland’s typical amazing insights into the motivations and behaviors of people from all walks of life and backgrounds without judgement abd with a healthy dose of empathy in that you are inside the head and heart of all involved. His use of language is precise and inspired. It’s a wild ride, funny, edgy – you can’t put the book down. I’d say Gr ...more
Gina
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story about super wealthy Jay and his denouement, interwoven by comments on race and gender relations in the US. This was a rather irritating read. Overall far too long with completely unnecessary back and side stories; 100 or so pages could have been taken out; when focussing on the main plot and characters the prose was fast paced but lacking in any subtlety or nuance. The last couple of hours had me hooked but ultimately disappointed after a rather limp ending.
Gale Verdult
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never heard of this author previously. So glad I saw a review in the Los Angeles Times and decided to take a chance as the description of the story intrigued me. What a fantastic author and story teller. At 600+ pages never once did I hesitate to completely enjoy the engaging story of a life coming apart at the seams. I certainly had sympathy for the protagonist and was hoping until the end he would overcome his travails. Highly recommend this book.
Carol
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such an involved story that it is clearly going to be a movie. The situations described are so visual and the conversations, comebacks, arguments, exaggerated characters and settings scream to be acted out in a movie. I found it a little hard to get into this but then it began to get more compelling. I liked it overall- questioned some motivations and decisions- but it is a good read.
Kris
Dec 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Had to force myself to finish this one. The story was alright (although far from perfect... a plot with a police shooting that seems to be set up to be the book's main theme is suddenly dropped for another thread)…. but the real problem is the writing. Not good. This is paint by numbers stuff, no joy in this prose. And almost 600 pages. Ugh. Avoid it.
Elizabeth May
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific book

I liked everything about this book. I really enjoyed his choice of vocabulary, not daunting but useful. It has a Jewish appeal but with some explanation I believe it would be universally loved.
Stacy
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Couldn’t get through it. All the characters were stereotypes
Mary Foust
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an alarming view of the times we live in.
Some of the reviews saying it's funny had me scratching my head. I'm not sure where the funny was, here.
Julie Bernstein
Liked it a lot u til the end.
Paul Wilner
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review, for the San Francisco Chronicle:

Joan
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NY-based story (one minor character actually is in Ossining!) of a very fortunate man who goes through some misfortune. Long but entertaining.
Shirley
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Satirical view of privileged life and its downfall. Touted as funny but in reality somewhat sad. Well written
Alan Koolik

• A Job You Mostly Won't Know How to Do
  • The Altruists
  • Spying on the South: Travels with Frederick Law Olmsted in a Fractured Land
  • La Mer à l'envers
  • Pourquoi tu danses quand tu marches ?
  • Soir de fête
  • De pierre et d'os
  • À crier dans les ruines
  • Ungfrú Ísland
  • Se taire
  • Borgo Vecchio
  • Mur Méditerranée
  • The Hundred Wells of Salaga
  • The Confession
  • The Children of Jocasta
  • Wild and Crazy Guys: How the Comedy Mavericks of the '80s Changed Hollywood Forever
  • The Stone Raft