Start by marking “Kingmaker's Sword (Rune Blade, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kingmaker's Sword (Rune Blade, #1)

Kingmaker's Sword

(Rune Blade #1)

The Skai and the Tyr were one people long ago. But that day is lost in the mists of time. And now the Skai have sent a warrior to find the Rune Blade that could slice through the darkness of blood and violence that had falled across their land.
Published January 1st 1900 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Kingmaker's Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kingmaker's Sword

Start your review of Kingmaker's Sword (Rune Blade, #1)
Angie
Nov 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: good-uns, fantasy
Several years ago, while wandering through the science fiction and fantasy section of the local Media Play, I crouched down to see what was on the bottom shelf in the M section. My eyes caught on a book that was faced out and that featured two warriors, one red-headed and one blonde, both of them sporting copious amounts of cloudy hair and swooping kilts, clutching swords in their hands. I'd never heard of KINGMAKER'S SWORD or author Ann Marston before, but I decided to pick it up based on the ...more
Joey Woolfardis
Feb 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Not interested enough to even contemplate finishing it off. It simply felt formulaic and that is not what I am looking for right now. Perhaps one day I could return if I even felt the need to read of fantasy-Scots within a run-of-the-mill story.
Sofia
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: trilogies
So I initially bough the Rune Blade Trilogy because it's a trilogy (and I'm a sucker for those), all three volumes were available at the same time (I loathe book hunting and am too cheap to shop much elsewhere other than half-price), and the people on the cover are wearing kilts! (I'm a reenactor and my first regiment was with a highland group, kilts mean it's got to be awesome, right?)

In the end, I was very pleased with this book purchase. It was enjoyable to read, I got invested in the
Becca
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was expecting this to be corny or stereotypical. It does have a lot of stereotypical characters, but the plot is wonderfully creative. I like how the characters make detour after detour, ending up where they need to be without realizing that they're there. I am also a fan of the ending, which I didn't quite expect. The one major flaw: dear feisty female lead, why are you marrying somebody who doesn't take you seriously and whose first thought is always to get you out of the way, even though ...more
Adrienne
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ann Marston weaves a superb beginning to her Rune Blade Trilogy that carries through her Sword in Exile Trilogy. Marston's characters are interesting and believable: Red Kian of Skai is wonderful! Kerri is a thoroughly provocative woman, and a strong female figure. The first chapter is told in 3rd person, but the rest is told in first person. Ann Marston is a wonderful first person storyteller. The world she creates is not too unbelievable, as can happen in many fantasy or scifi worlds.

What's
Sarah Mac
Truly, I don't remember the details of this series except that I liked them & stuck them in my keeper box with Pern & the Sunrunners. I do, however, recall reading them instead of doing physics homework, which helps account for my dismal grades in that arena. *halo*

IIRC, they're one of the better Celtic-based fantasy sagas...but I was a teenager when declaring this, so take it with a grain of salt. :P Each book focuses on a different group of protags (sometimes skipping generations) with
Jean
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it

A Lost Sword..

This book centers around Mouse, his escape to freedom and the people he meets after his escape.

The characters, Cullin, Kian and Kerri were well written and vividly described.

The story line included swords, friendship, and loyalty making it an Overall, engaging fantasy.

Austin Vanfleet did well with the narration.

Note:
"This audio book was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review."

Anne Gazzolo
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book, loved it! Loved the main three characters and their bond with each other. Definitely recommended if you want to read a wonderful AU Celtic/Scottish fantasy with a solid plot and marvelous characters. You wouldn't want to meet the bad guys in a dark alley though, unless the good guys with their swords were at your side.
Sean Helms
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable escapist story full of action in this 'Scotland-esque' setting. Kian is the central character and the story is told from his point of view. He has some pretty cool abilities and carries a sword that has a bit of a mind of its own.
This book is well worth the time and I'm going to read the sequel; hopefully it's as entertaining as this one was.
Robin
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
For the beginning of a series, this book does have a beginning, a middle, and an end. I like her story telling, and I want to read more. But if I can't get more of her books, I'm very satisfied with the ending of this one. A very fast read.
NastY NaS
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good fictional book
Maria Elmvang
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I received this series via a Christmas book exchange, and picked it up knowing absolutely nothing about it, but it very quickly caught my attention. Set in a fantastical version of Scotland (very obvious, as the men wear kilts, say "ken" for "know" and even call outlanders a word very similar to sassenach) I fell in love with both the universe and the main characters. It's the first book in a trilogy, but unlike many first novels, I didn't feel like most of the page-time was spent establishing ...more
Rebecca Smucker
This book is probably my favorite of the 2-trilogy series. It sets up a very long story, both the interplay between two royal families in a fictional Celtic world and, later, the invasion of a much more Arabian culture.

If you are the kind of person who doesn't appreciate reading the same book over and over again, I'd probably just stick with the first 2 or 3 books. You will notice, if you read these back-to-back, that a lot of the scenes will give you deja-vu. I didn't actually check, but I
Nancy
Nov 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I first read this book when I was around 14 years old, and now, 16 years later, I can still appreciate it. I absolutely loved it the first time around, when I was a newcomer to the fantasy genre, and it was a great read now, when I qualify as a seasoned veteran.

The story follows the path of a boy turned man in a quest against darkness that takes the form of a evil man who uses blood magic to gain power. There's plenty of sword fighting, a touch of romance (rated PG), and a love between a father
Claire
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy, childhood
Oh I wish I had kept my copies of this trilogy and it's follow-up set!!! Never ending thanks to my friend Betsy for introducing me. These books have been floating around in my mind for a couple years, but I had forgotten all important info that would help me find them (author, title, character names). Finally thanks to searching likely Goodreads lists, I found it on a Celtic Fantasy list. I've read that they are out of print, so I'm off to scour the internet to replace mine. Let that be a lesson ...more
Camilla
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
First installment of a fantasy trilogy. I had fun, but was frustrated by the way every single important detail was spoon-fed to the reader. Honestly, if you can't trust me to pick up on details and let my brain start churning them over on their own accord, then I'm not going to trust your storytelling. I want that "surprising yet inevitable" ending, and this story was too predictable, too stale for me to continue the trilogy. The epic fantasy storytelling elements were all there, but the stroke ...more
Kelsey Hock
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Will definitely be on my shelf to read again! Along with a great plot and awesome characters, I really appreciated how the female-male dynamics were created. They definitely ring true to the medieval fantasy Europe that this -and many other fantasy novels- employ. Unlike some trash fantasy that tries to have this 'realistic' setting while also subtly perpetrating that if a woman was just as good as a man at being a warrior or had men's respect she would be equal, this book is very clear that ...more
Allison
Nov 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is actually 2 trilogy series..they are all wonderful. Ann's writing just will keep you glued, I could hardly wait for the next one to come out for these. She is also able to really write some dark parts that will surprise you. I was so grossed out that I had to keep reading in some parts..it was awful...
These books are some favorites that I have kept in my own collection.
Can never give away the good ones!
Doranna Durgin
Aug 07, 2010 rated it liked it
This one was a weird mix of loving the characters and the language, but feeling used and abused by the various storytelling techniques; for me, they were not successfully employed, and will keep me from reading the two remaining books in the trilogy. But I tend to feel, as a writer and a reader, that it's important to tell a story fairly. It's definitely a "your mileage may vary" situation.
Abby
May 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This book fell a little flat. The premise was promising, what with the hero starting life as a slave boy, his mysterious rescuer, etc. However, I thought the twists were fairly predictable and I didn't feel all that close to the characters. This book read like some sort of early Scottish/Celtic history, but with fantasy elements mixed in. Perhaps some will like it more than I did.
Brenda
Sep 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
On re-read, this went down from 5 stars to 3 stars. It was fairly entertaining, but I just don't think it was well-written enough to be a 5 star book. It's a pretty run of the mill fantasy that is mostly forgettable.
Cathi95
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
(Fantasy 1996) First book. Celtic fantasy. There is too much war and sadness, but that is pretty accurate for the times, I believe. Magic and love also figure pretty prominently in the story. I liked it.
Melissa
I started it, but couldn't really get into this book so I'm not going to rate it. It sparked a full year of not making time to read anything recreationally. This is in no way a negative review of the book. I'm going to give it another chance some time in the future.
T J
Oct 11, 2016 added it
This is a easy fun read. Mouse is a slave but he has not been broken by it and a big dream of becoming a great swordsman. This is a Celtic tale of a boy, a sword and magic. High adventure and well spun storytelling at it's best. Looking forward to book 2: The Western King.
Lani
Jul 14, 2008 rated it liked it
I think this was the first real fantasy novel I've ever read, and it wasn't too bad (like the rest of her books related to the storyline). Between a score of 1-10, I'd probably give this a 7.
Tara
Mar 28, 2007 rated it liked it
Favorite Quotes

The sum of his life was a unique melody, hauntingly beautiful and powerful.
Stephanie
Aug 20, 2015 rated it liked it
There are a lot of time skims which is fine but I feel like the author is trying to rush ahead to a plot she does not even get to in this book. A lot of set up for a sequel I probably won't read.
Maya
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: interesting
Debs
Apr 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: supernatural
My favorite of the trilogy.
Ryan
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
In a genre full of stories based in or inspired by English/Arthurian lore, having a book with with a foundation in Scottish lore and settings was a breath of fresh air. Instead of relying on a clever magic system, the story focuses on the characters, and becomes more of an engrossing adventure because of it. The magic is there, but you are eased into it perfectly as the story moves along. You really get invested emotionally into Kian and the gang, and i bought into it totally. I also enjoyed ...more

• Civil War: A Marvel Comics Event
  • The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1)
  • The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars, #3)
  • Superman: Red Son
  • X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • The Gathering Storm (Crown of Stars, #5)
  • In the Ruins (Crown of Stars, #6)
  • Crown of Stars (Crown of Stars, #7)
  • The Deep
  • The Curse of the Wendigo (The Monstrumologist, #2)
  • The Isle of Blood (The Monstrumologist, #3)
  • The Final Descent (The Monstrumologist, #4)
  • Leadershift: The 11 Essential Changes Every Leader Must Embrace
  • True Spies (Lord and Lady Spy, #2)
  • Considerations (The Billionaire's Contract, #2)
  • Proposals (The Billionaire's Contract, #1)
  • The Great Courses: Terror of History: Mystics, Heretics, and Witches in the Western Tradition

Rune Blade (3 books)
  • The Western King (Rune Blade, #2)
  • Broken Blade (Rune Blade, #3)
“My soul is in your hands."
 "Your soul is safe in my hands and in my heart.”
22 likes
“The sum of his life was a unique melody, hauntingly beautiful and powerful.” 3 likes