Start by marking “The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done” as Want to Read:
The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done

The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done

What makes an effective executive?

The measure of the executive, Peter F. Drucker reminds us, is the ability to "get the right things done." This usually involves doing what other people have overlooked as well as avoiding what is unproductive. Intelligence, imagination, and knowledge may all be wasted in an executive job without the acquired habits of mind that mold them i
Published January 3rd 2006 by HarperBusiness (first published 1966)

Janet
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I used to be a large reader of Jack Welch practices at GE, until I read that he looked to Drucker. I've been reading Drucker and re-reading Drucker ever since. He is the master at learning how to be "effective" and from him, I learned how to filter what are the best effectiveness 21st century leadership practices.

Now, after 14 years of running a company and 8 years of trying to create a leadership engine to run a company, I believe that the 21st century practices for effectiveness in order of s
Andrew Canavan
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Stop reading boring blogs and books about productivity and go straight to the source of many of these ideas. Then, stop thinking about being productive and go do something.
Gene Babon
Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
No one in a managerial role should be allowed to manage others without having read at least one book from Peter Drucker. Drucker is widely acclaimed as The Father of Modern Management and published 39 books in a lifetame that spanned 95 years. The Effective Executive was published in 1967 and this book is as good a starting point as any for the uninitiated.

Effectiveness is a habit and habits can be learned through practice, lots of it. According to Drucker there are five habits that, once acquir
James
Jun 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm pretty sure that if we'd ever met in real life I'd have punched Peter Drucker in the face.

You can buy the book here.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com
Greg Seguin
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adding this book to my list of must-reads for anyone working in corporate America. In brief:

1. Know where your time goes; relentlessly prune unproductive activities.
2. Know the contribution you're expected to make - to others' contributions and to the organization.
3. Make your strengths productive and hone them; focus on the absence of weakness leads to mediocrity.
4. There are always more opportunities available than time to pursue them – prioritize and focus on the truly impactful.
5. Continuall
Mark Dunn
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Know Thy Time
- take a time inventory & eliminate "need not be done", "could be done by others", and "wasting other's time".
- prune time wasters
- lack of systems --> crisis
- overstaffing --> unnecessary coordination
- malorganization --> excessive mtgs
- malfunction in information
- consolidate discretionary time into meaningful chunks to facilitate effectiveness (eg 1.5 hr)

What can I contribute?
- in terms of EXTERNAL results
- aim high

Making strengths productive
- focus on indv
Jacque
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
I find Drucker to be really repetitive. There were quite a few sentences that didn't really add anything, and should have been taken out.
Федор Кривов
Кладезь ценных мыслей, хотя книге наверно лет 50 или больше :) Про роль компьютера в конце, конечно, устарело - всем ведь известно, что восстание машин уже близко. Местами копировал абзацами ценное для меня.

Руководители, не умеющие управлять собой для повышения эффективности своей деятельности, не смогут эффективно управлять коллегами и подчиненными. Управление в значительной мере осуществляется на личном примере.
Я называю руководителями тех работников умственного труда, менеджеров или независим
Eric Chappell
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reading
A fantastic resource. Seminaries (often) do a phenomenal job of equipping people to be experts in the Word. Where most are weak is training church leaders to be time-managers, meeting-facilitators, action-planners, decision-makers, and priority-setters. These are all the products of general wisdom and stuff that can be learned from a wide variety of "secular" sources (see Proverbs). Peter Drucker's classic has literally changed the way I think about scheduling my time, choosing priorities, and t ...more
Michael Karpov
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal
бухгалтерский учет, кадровая политика, маркетинг, ценообразование, экономический анализ, психология, а также в естественных науках – от физики и биологии до геологии.

пять основных элементов для повышения эффективности труда работника управления.

1. Эффективные управляющие должны знать, на что они расходуют свое время. Умениеконтролировать свое время является важнейшим элементом производительной работы.

2. Эффективные управляющие должны концентрироваться на достижения, выходящие за рамки своих орга
Maria
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Just like most of them, this book has too many words for 5 or so ideas. The conclusion at the very end sums everything up, so you don't have to read the whole book, just read the last few pages.
Tõnu Vahtra
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Don't tell me that you had a wonderful time reading this book, tell me what you are going to do differently on Monday". The higher up the organization, the less time he has under his own control (senior executives rarely have more than quarter of their time under their control), so you have to take control of your time. Understand what are the things that waste your time without contributing to effectiveness. Ask your subordinates how you are preventing them from doing their work effectively.

Th
Chris Russell
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Effective Executive – Peter E. Drucker
Book Review for Goodreads.
Originally published 1967. Edition read was Harper Business, 1993.
I’m too young to have been part of the Drucker Generation. I had always heard him talked of and quoted among the staid and dusty corners of mainstream business, but I never thought to reach back and read him. Drucker’s words and ideas were the Esperanto of an emerging class in the business world of post WWII. He was part and parcel of important board room convers
Sergey Morovshik
Эффективность руководителя наше все!!!
Хорошо описано принятие решений!
Matt Burgess
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting Right Things Done (2006), Peter Drucker

Kicking off the Personal Effectiveness portion of the Personal MBA curriculum is the purveyor of modern management, Peter Drucker. Notice the subtitle to this book before you read. It says "getting right things done" where you might have misread it as "getting things done right". Drucker takes decades of consulting experience with numerous famous and infamous companies and in its fifth edition, he bre
TarasProkopyuk
ВЕЛИЧАЙШАЯ и фундаментальная книга для управленцев всех разрядов, уровней и структур!

Книги Питера Друкера это нечто невероятное, это ценнейшие произведения из мирового архива книг о менеджменте и стратегическом управлении. Именно про такие книги говорят: "Днём с огнём не сыщешь!".

Описать ценность книга очень сложно. Но автор как всегда пишет легко, просто и безукоризненно о очень сложных и самых важных вещах в бизнесе и о том какими качествами, навыками, способностями, знаниями, амбициями и проч
Tadas Talaikis
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Don't know what's the hype about this book, it's simple common sense. Anyone who ever was in "meeting" knows its waste of time, why I should read book about that? The thing executives come in various shapes and sizes was mentioned in various other, earlier books. Management books are second after self help nonsense. Sad, no one over-hypes evidence or data based approaches...
Chad Manske
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Near the end of his six decades informing business leaders and organizations how to beat go about their work, Peter Drucker defined the single principle to guide the executive—effectiveness—defining it as “doing the right things right.” The Effective Executive draws off numerous situations Drucker encountered throughout his career in business, espousing that effectiveness can be learned as long as the business leader is a willing student. Many of his stories, interestingly, draw from both the bu ...more
Mindaugas Mozūras
Sep 03, 2016 rated it liked it
The Effective Executive is filled with good advice. Peter Ducker predicts the importance of knowledge workers and recognizes that everyone will become an "executive" (as he defines it). The advice in this book is useful to most anyone working in a modern company.

Alas, there are two problems with the book that stop me from full-heartedly recommending this book:

* It's dated, and it shows. There's a lot of repetition and flowery language.
* I've already read "The Effective Engineer" (one of my favor
Вестимир
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm really hyped about this one, because of the direct approach and the good pacing.

Another bias for me is that I've read this at the time of major career shift and moving into full-time management.

Key takaways:

- measure and analyze your time as a manager
- plan for constant change and adaptability, rather than immediate greatness
- dedicate yourself to 1 main task per day
- re-evaluate your next priorities during the day (e.g. I started planning for max 2 tasks ahead)
- focus on colaboration
- whi
Alan
As ideias contidas no livro são boas e algumas até bem difundidas. O controle do tempo, a priorização de projetos e tarefas, focar em apenas uma coisa de cada vez.

Mas esse não é um livro sobre produtividade, é sobre auto desenvolvimento, mudança de hábitos.

Um ponto interessante levantado pelo autor é o de que todo trabalhador do conhecimento é um gestor por si só. Em algum nível este precisa tomar decisões o tempo todo que afetam o seu trabalho e desempenho da organização. Essa ideia faz muito s
Ahmad Abugosh
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A classic book on how to get things done at work. It's amazing how a book written so long ago can still be so relevant with its simple straightforward advice. The number one tip in the book is, you need to first manage yourself (your own time and responsibilities) in order to manage others.
Enrique Vázquez Cervantes
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Algo aburrido, algo tedioso, pero inmensamente necesario.
Alexandr Urozhaev
Пожалуй лучшая книга для руководителей, которая попадалась мне за последнее время! Рекомендую всем и опытным и начинающим руководителям.
Robert
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Effective Executive is a classic that I'd recommend to anyone wanting to manage teams or to any current manager who hasn't yet read it. The book is packed with many more timeless recommendations in a single chapter than in the entirety of almost all other management books I've read. Save your precious reading time by reading this book first. Or maybe just instead.

My biggest issue was the constant reference to men, man, him, his, etc. when referring to executives, managers, and just about any
Alexandra
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
be productive and control your time or you'll do nothing as an executive. prune the things that aren't productive. time yourself. every 6 months. eliminate time-wasters. time is the scarcest resource.

Ask yourself why you are on the payroll and work to make that purpose realized

making strengths productive; don't eliminate weakness when you can bolster and utilize strength. don't focus on problems when there are opportunities to chase.

there are rules for generic problems and innovation for new pro
Ali
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I don't understand like 80% of this book, but the 20% are the important contents here which are:

1) To record where time goes
2) Focus on contribution
3) Making strengths productive
4) Results matter
5) Effective decision than just decision
Daniel
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Although a bit dated with anecdotes of Vail’s Bell, Slone at GM, JP Morgan. Customer service was Vail’s controversial vision and government regulation was his solution against nationalization. Yes, somewhat dated. 😀

Certainly a book I will reread.
Jess
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
I had trouble getting through this. I skimmed the last 1/3 of the book.

It was written in the 1960s, and it hasn’t been updated. I understand it’s dated because it hasn’t been updated in about 50 years, but I still had trouble with it. It’s written in a very stodgy voice. It was hard for me to look past the style and absorb the substance.
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Making Things Happen: Mastering Project Management
  • Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • The Simplicity Survival Handbook: 32 Ways To Do Less And Accomplish More
  • Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People
  • Seeing What's Next: Using the Theories of Innovation to Predict Industry Change
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • Essentials of Accounting
  • Hire with Your Head: Using Performance-Based Hiring to Build Great Teams
  • The Unwritten Laws of Business
  • Ethics for the Real World: Creating a Personal Code to Guide Decisions in Work and Life
  • Lead the Field
  • The Halo Effect: ... and the Eight Other Business Delusions That Deceive Managers
Peter Ferdinand Drucker was a writer, management consultant and university professor. His writing focused on management-related literature. Peter Drucker made famous the term knowledge worker and is thought to have unknowingly ushered in the knowledge economy, which effectively challenges Karl Marx's world-view of the political economy. George Orwell credits Peter Drucker as one of the only writer ...more
“It is more productive to convert an opportunity into results than to solve a problem - which only restores the equilibrium of yesterday.” 19 likes
“Intelligence, imagination, and knowledge are essential resources, but only effectiveness converts them into results.” 15 likes