Start by marking “The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)” as Want to Read:

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  15,134 Ratings  ·  320 Reviews

What makes an effective executive?

The measure of the executive, Peter F. Drucker reminds us, is the ability to "get the right things done." This usually involves doing what other people have overlooked as well as avoiding what is unproductive. Intelligence, imagination, and knowledge may all be wasted in an executive job without the acquired habits of mind that mold th

Published January 3rd 2006 by HarperBusiness (first published 1966)

Janet
Mar 08, 2008 Janet rated it it was amazing
I used to be a large reader of Jack Welch practices at GE, until I read that he looked to Drucker. I've been reading Drucker and re-reading Drucker ever since. He is the master at learning how to be "effective" and from him, I learned how to filter what are the best effectiveness 21st century leadership practices.

Now, after 14 years of running a company and 8 years of trying to create a leadership engine to run a company, I believe that the 21st century practices for effectiveness in order of s
Andrew Canavan
Jan 30, 2015 Andrew Canavan rated it really liked it
Shelves: winter-2015
Stop reading boring blogs and books about productivity and go straight to the source of many of these ideas. Then, stop thinking about being productive and go do something.
Gene Babon
Dec 23, 2010 Gene Babon rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
No one in a managerial role should be allowed to manage others without having read at least one book from Peter Drucker. Drucker is widely acclaimed as The Father of Modern Management and published 39 books in a lifetame that spanned 95 years. The Effective Executive was published in 1967 and this book is as good a starting point as any for the uninitiated.

Effectiveness is a habit and habits can be learned through practice, lots of it. According to Drucker there are five habits that, once acquir
James
Jun 14, 2016 James rated it did not like it
I'm pretty sure that if we'd ever met in real life I'd have punched Peter Drucker in the face.
Nefficus
Nov 03, 2013 Nefficus rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I picked up this book after hearing it was one of three that Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos makes all of his senior executives read. This book could have been alternatively titled "The Effective Knowledge Worker." Certainly not as catchy, but more descriptive, because the audience for Drucker's book is not just the corporate executive who oversees a large group of subordinates. It is targeted ultimately at any knowledge worker - those whose chief contribution to the organization is through generation and ...more
Mark Dunn
Sep 03, 2012 Mark Dunn rated it really liked it
Know Thy Time
- take a time inventory & eliminate "need not be done", "could be done by others", and "wasting other's time".
- prune time wasters
- lack of systems --> crisis
- overstaffing --> unnecessary coordination
- malorganization --> excessive mtgs
- malfunction in information
- consolidate discretionary time into meaningful chunks to facilitate effectiveness (eg 1.5 hr)

What can I contribute?
- in terms of EXTERNAL results
- aim high

Making strengths productive
- focus on indv
Michael Karpov
Nov 05, 2012 Michael Karpov rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal
бухгалтерский учет, кадровая политика, маркетинг, ценообразование, экономический анализ, психология, а также в естественных науках – от физики и биологии до геологии.

пять основных элементов для повышения эффективности труда работника управления.

1. Эффективные управляющие должны знать, на что они расходуют свое время. Умениеконтролировать свое время является важнейшим элементом производительной работы.

2. Эффективные управляющие должны концентрироваться на достижения, выходящие за рамки своих орга
Eric Chappell
Nov 12, 2014 Eric Chappell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-reading
A fantastic resource. Seminaries (often) do a phenomenal job of equipping people to be experts in the Word. Where most are weak is training church leaders to be time-managers, meeting-facilitators, action-planners, decision-makers, and priority-setters. These are all the products of general wisdom and stuff that can be learned from a wide variety of "secular" sources (see Proverbs). Peter Drucker's classic has literally changed the way I think about scheduling my time, choosing priorities, and t ...more
Tadas Talaikis
Sep 29, 2016 Tadas Talaikis rated it it was ok
Don't know what's the hype about this book, it's simple common sense. Anyone who ever was in "meeting" knows its waste of time, why I should read book about that? The thing executives come in various shapes and sizes was mentioned in various other, earlier books. Management books are second after self help nonsense. Sad, no one over-hypes evidence or data based approaches...
Matt Burgess
May 05, 2010 Matt Burgess rated it it was amazing
The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting Right Things Done (2006), Peter Drucker

Kicking off the Personal Effectiveness portion of the Personal MBA curriculum is the purveyor of modern management, Peter Drucker. Notice the subtitle to this book before you read. It says "getting right things done" where you might have misread it as "getting things done right". Drucker takes decades of consulting experience with numerous famous and infamous companies and in its fifth edition, he bre
Natasia Angel
1. Know thy time. First step toward effectiveness: recording where the time goes. By analysing the time, we can eliminate time wasters.

2. Focus on contribution.

3 Making strengths productive. In making strengths productive, the executive integrates individual purpose & organisation needs, individual capacity & organisation results, individual achievement & organisation opportunity.

4. First things first. Develop a character consisting of foresight, self-reliance, courage, & a lasti
Chris Russell
Jan 03, 2017 Chris Russell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Effective Executive – Peter E. Drucker
Book Review for Goodreads.
Originally published 1967. Edition read was Harper Business, 1993.
I’m too young to have been part of the Drucker Generation. I had always heard him talked of and quoted among the staid and dusty corners of mainstream business, but I never thought to reach back and read him. Drucker’s words and ideas were the Esperanto of an emerging class in the business world of post WWII. He was part and parcel of important board room convers
TarasProkopyuk
ВЕЛИЧАЙШАЯ и фундаментальная книга для управленцев всех разрядов, уровней и структур!

Книги Питера Друкера это нечто невероятное, это ценнейшие произведения из мирового архива книг о менеджменте и стратегическом управлении. Именно про такие книги говорят: "Днём с огнём не сыщешь!".

Описать ценность книга очень сложно. Но автор как всегда пишет легко, просто и безукоризненно о очень сложных и самых важных вещах в бизнесе и о том какими качествами, навыками, способностями, знаниями, амбициями и проч
Franklin
Apr 22, 2015 Franklin rated it really liked it
Each person is the CEO of his/her own Life. If that premise is granted, then this is an outstanding book with a whole bunch of Insights for everyone. Though written about half a century ago, most of the principles discussed herein, by the Dean of Management himself, seem very relevant in today's dynamic scene.
Ellen
Jun 28, 2014 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Don't read a summary of this book, read the original. The language is dated, but the content remains powerful. I read it first because my boss told me to. I've read and underlined it many more times because I found it so useful.
Phayvanh
Jan 01, 2011 Phayvanh rated it liked it
Shelves: advice, 2010
Great, informative piece that outlined his thinking in an easy-to-understand way. Some of the examples are a little outdated, and heavy on the military / political sphere. I skipped over some of those. All in all, I learned a lot about time management, and making the right decisions.
Jacque
Oct 18, 2011 Jacque rated it it was ok
I find Drucker to be really repetitive. There were quite a few sentences that didn't really add anything, and should have been taken out.
Steven
Nov 24, 2012 Steven rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, american
1 of the best books for executives to read who want to make difference and get the right things done.
Zaki Shaheen
Sep 09, 2013 Zaki Shaheen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Except for the last chapter on decision making, loved every bit of it. Mr. Drucker has a tendency to go off tangents and that is visible in a very chatty summary as well as the final chapter.
Samuel Seibert
Jan 18, 2016 Samuel Seibert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: data-science, biz
Fantastic.
Heather
Apr 29, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
This was a good book, very helpful and pertinent in professional, business, and organizational settings, but also in personal relationships and personal development. I found it particularly helpful thinking about my professional role, but also in my personal relationships and in my desire to improve my effectiveness. I think it’s quite remarkable how visionary this book is. It was written in 1966, but the principles still apply!

Some of my main take-aways were the importance of knowing how I use
Dmitry Kuriakov
Dec 05, 2015 Dmitry Kuriakov rated it really liked it
Вторая книга, изданная издательством МИФ Питера Друкера «Эффективный руководитель». Как и первая, книга довольно интересная, читается легко и содержит минимум сложных терминов. Книга больше схожа с поп-бизнес литературой, нежели с книгой по менеджменту. Как мне кажется, это – одна из заслуг Друкера. Он сделал чтение книг по менеджменту увлекательнейшим и полезным времяпровождения.
Книга Питера Друкера «Эффективный руководитель» посвящена тому, что должен делать, как вести себя и на что обращать в
Giedrius
Jan 16, 2017 Giedrius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though this book was published in 1967, it still has very good insights for executives because despite all the technological progress core tasks and values didn't change that much since then.

This quote from the book, in my opinion, is main Peter F. Drucker's point:
Effectiveness, in other words, is a habit; that is, a complex of practices. And practices can always be learned.

To sum up, what good executives need:

They need to know where the time goes because time supply is not elastic.
Noth
Max
Dec 05, 2016 Max rated it it was ok
Drucker makes his points very crisp and they are good ones. But I felt a lot of this could be skimmed because his points are very clear. Additionally, if you've spent time as a management consulting a lot of this is 101 training for our methodology. This is how consultants approach projects, Drucker, extrapolates the problem-solving methodology of management consultants and applies it to being effective. Perhaps, for me, that's why much of this book felt skimmable as this is my everyday life. Bu ...more
Matt
Nov 06, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing
This is the best theoretical books on management I've read. The great insight (which he wrote about in 1968) is that in the modern world we can't treat people as cogs in a machine. The world is too complicated. We need people in our organizations that are effective at managing their time, managing projects, and managing people.

Unlike a lot of books on management, this one can't be summed up in a simple blog post or two. It's actually worth reading the whole thing.
Brad Henderson
Nov 27, 2016 Brad Henderson rated it it was amazing
Excellent book with a compelling thesis and actionable ideas on how to be more effective with your time. A must read if you feel like you work a ton and still don't get as much done as you'd like or want to spend more time with your family or those important to you outside of work.

Overall a great book with lots of great ideas and very well organized. 4.5 stars
Mighty Rasing
This book is essential reading on productivity. Long before the explosion of productivity books, blogs, and gurus in the 21st century, Drucker laid down a lot of the basic principles that other authors later followed.
Pavlo Huk
Jan 06, 2017 Pavlo Huk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Написана 40 років тому, а досі неймовірно актуальна й корисна. Дізнався, що ефективних керівників дуже мало і завжди є купа можливостей.
Andrey Silaev
Nov 03, 2016 Andrey Silaev rated it really liked it
Think of it as a base for diving in management and efficient work. Unexpectedly easy for read and with a lot of relevant advices for today (for a book first published 1966).
  • Learning from the Future: Competitive Foresight Scenarios
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Making Sense of Behavior: The Meaning of Control
  • Making Things Happen: Mastering Project Management
  • Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload
  • The Path of Least Resistance: Learning to Become the Creative Force in Your Own Life
  • How to Be a Star at Work: 9 Breakthrough Strategies You Need to Succeed
  • The Age of Unreason
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
12008
Peter Ferdinand Drucker was a writer, management consultant and university professor. His writing focused on management-related literature. Peter Drucker made famous the term knowledge worker and is thought to have unknowingly ushered in the knowledge economy, which effectively challenges Karl Marx's world-view of the political economy. George Orwell credits Peter Drucker as one of the only writer ...more
More about Peter F. Drucker...

“It is more productive to convert an opportunity into results than to solve a problem - which only restores the equilibrium of yesterday.” 15 likes
“Converting a decision into action requires answering several distinct questions: Who has to know of this decision? What action has to be taken? Who is to take it? And what does the action have to be so that the people who have to do it can do it? The first and the last of these are too often overlooked—with dire results.” 10 likes