Start by marking “Faith & Fidelity (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #1)” as Want to Read:
Faith & Fidelity (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #1)

Faith & Fidelity

(Faith, Love & Devotion #1)

New York City Vice Detective Evan Cerelli has lost his wife, the only person he ever loved and slept with. He's trying to get on with his life, build a life for his children. Former Homicide Detective Matt Haight is a ladies’ man, all sex/no commitment. He's depressed, having a midlife crisis, and not sure where his life is headed.

The two find friendship in the bottom of a
Published September 23rd 2008 by Loose-id

To ask other readers questions about Faith & Fidelity, please sign up.
Martin There are some small changes I noticed. In one scene, Matt wants to put on some 'mood music' and Evan says that if he switches on the player, he will…moreThere are some small changes I noticed. In one scene, Matt wants to put on some 'mood music' and Evan says that if he switches on the player, he will hear Miley Cyrus.
And Matt answers 'Who is that?' with Evan replying 'Count your blessings.'
In the new edition it's not Miley Cyrus but R5.
Probably because everyone, even an 'old dude' like Matt would know Miley Cyrus ?!
I'd love to have a list of all changes to the previous edition. I am just that weird ;-)(less)
Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleHot Head by Damon SuedeSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere Michaels
Favorite Gay Couples
2,921 books — 3,744 voters
Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFish & Chips by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsHot Head by Damon Suede
The Best of Gay Romance
3,018 books — 3,260 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Faith & Fidelity (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #1)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*Woah! Price drop to $0.99 at most places today! 1/22/15*

**3.5 stars**

Tere Michaels, I have one question for you. Where. Is. My. (view spoiler)

This book is extremely hyped by my Goodreads friends. I think for many readers, it is one of their intro books into the genre of M/M romance and I can see why that is. It is angsty yet easy to relate to, and it feels very realistic. I think
Buggy
Opening Line:"Matt Haight sat in his car, watching the entrance of the Stag Bar with butterflies in his stomach."

I don’t even know how to put into words how much I loved this story and I’m having trouble writing a review that will do it any form of justice. I can tell you that author Tere Michaels has so hooked me with her unforgettable characters, heart wrenching love story and poignant writing that I’m now looking into spending several hundred dollars on an e-reader just so I can find out what
Julio Genao
Oct 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
This is another really shitty book review.

"Tedious. Oh, the angsty, angsty, angsty men. But some good bits if you can tolerate that kind of thing."

Seriously. That's all I wrote.

Helpful, right?

You should probably flag this.
DarienMoya
Apr 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of sexy man love, and a tear jerker.

August 2019

Audio: 3 Pants Off

Not the narrator I would have picked for this amazing book, but not a horrible job. Matt and Evan are one of my fave couples out there and their story means so much to me, so not even mediocre narration could diminish how much I love this story.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Always and forever 5++++ s

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~
^^BLOODY AWESOMENESS!^^

What can I say about this book, it has everything I love about M/M lovin. Guys with no previous experience about
Exina

Wounded widower and depressed ex-cop meet – angst guaranteed.

Evan Cerelli had lost his wife in a car accident, and had been left alone with four children. It’s been a year, and he is still in deep grief, suffering in pain and misery, living only for his kids.

Matt Haight is a former cop, a ‘casual sex / no commitment’ type of guy. But he is tired of the one-night stands, depressed and lonely, and he hates his job.

When Evan and Matt meet, they recognize something familiar in each other.
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* by: StellaR
Shelves: delicious-m-m

FOUR SWEET STARS

This sweet and romantic book tells us the story of Evan. Evan lost his wife a year ago and was left with his four kids. He is still missing her every single day of his life and he doesn’t want to meet anyone.

Evan’s colleagues, Helena & Vic, try to keep him busy, they want him to have a normal life so he goes out with them one night and he meets Matt. Matt is an ex cop and he is
Mo
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a heartbreakingly beautiful love story. I could feel the anguish of Evan throughout the whole story, the guilt, the guilt, the guilt. But seriously, how could something so beautiful be so wrong. Evan loses his wife - he is straight, he has four great kids, some fairly shitty in-laws - but hey, I suppose I should give them a bit of slack as they did also lose their daughter. He meets Matt, sweet, sweet Matt, who is also straight..... or so they think. They strike up a great friendship ...more
Wendy
After hanging around on my TBR list for quite some time...this one finally got read :P

I liked the premise of the story, though I was a bit worried about the whole dead spouse thing...
Now as much as I enjoyed this one, there were also a lot of things I didn't. The POV for one. I was so confused as to who's pov I was reading at the time. They just kept jumping back and forth like a flash and when more pov's were introduced it got, it got even worse... It was a bit messy, to be honest.

Evan wasn't
Lenore
I'm gonna be the odd one out. Again. Because even though most of my GR friends love this story, it was just meh for me.

So. Evan and Matt. They're both heteros. At a certain point, they realise they are attracted to each other. Then they realise they love each other. OK. I can buy that provided it's done well. But I didn't buy it here. Not really.

I got the emotional/bonding part; both men needed someone to lean onto, someone to count on. They became good friends through their commiseration.
Susan
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it

I have a love / hate relationship with this book.

I really, really like the MC’s. As broken and lost and hurting as they are, Evan and Matt are good men who deserve happiness…and each other. I liked how we got to see them meet, befriend each other, and eventually realize their attraction and love for one another. That’s enough to make me feel ok about having read the book.

But, there were a few things that absolutely drove me bonkers and irritated the CRAP out of me and made me want to
Monique
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt
This book had me captivated from the first passage and took me on a path of discovery with Evan and Matt.......both lost, confused and disillusioned, both finding comfort in the most unlikely of situations.

This truly is a love story at it's best......and it is a credit to your writing Ms Michaels that I too was so emotionally involved in this journey with them and the great cast of their family and friends.

However I did get to the last page and think 'is that it'........but knowing there are
Ingie
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ingie by: Gina
5 Huge Stars for a warm and tenderhearted novel which is feeling like a "True Life" story about male love.

Often, I love stepping into a sort of fairy tale world and "live with" heroes and heroines in the Romances. What's happening is hardly likely or very credible with it being a romantic, exciting and often sexy world. I love alpha males, the noble lords, the beautiful women or tough girls, the paranormal unreal, suspense, adventure and puzzles to be solved or just a beautiful world of luxury
Josy
~3.5 stars~

I think this book shows a very realistic struggle of two men, who identified as heterosexual for all their lives and suddenly have to come to terms with their attraction to another man. What's happening to me, how can that be, how do I explain this to my kids, what will my friends / colleagues / neighbors think, is this real?

As if that's not enough, both Evan and Matt have to deal with other life-altering events that happened to them prior to their meeting. Evan has lost his wife and
.Lili.
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
 photo image_zps56daa868.jpg
Faith and Fidelity is the beautiful story Evan and Matt. Evan, who is dealing with the loss of his high school sweetheart and mother of his four children. Matt, who is depressed after having been forced out of his job at the force. Their journey is one that will touch you. You feel their anguish, confusion, and above all their love for one another in every page. 5 Beautiful Stars!

Martin
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am finally - after re-reading it almost a year later - up to writing a review to my favorite book in the m/m romance genre. I am glad this wasn't the first book I've read in the genre, because I'm afraid I would have found many other novels lacking the depth and emotions that Faith & Fidelity conveyed. I seriously think that this story and these characters have raised a new level of expectations for me.

I would hardly even call this book fiction. It's so crystal-clear-realistic that I was
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
*Learn to live again*

There were some obvious mistakes in this book. Specially when it comes to the ages of the characters, because that changed more than once throughout the book... The story centers police officer Evan Cerelli (34? 35?) and disgraced former cop turned security consultant, Matthew ‘Matt’ ‘Matty’ Haight (42? 45?).
Maybe that was the connection then. You grieve with every fiber of your being when the thing you love most is ripped out of your life.

Evan lost his wife a almost
Mel
Jul 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t plan to read this book. It was just that I forgot my book at home and I was in the train, bored, with another hour to go. So I thought I’d read a few chapters of this story on my ereader and continue the other book when I got home.
No chance. From the first page: I was hooked.

Faith & Fidelity is the beautiful story of Matthew Haight, Ladies Man Extraordinaire, and Evan Cerelli, Poster Boy for Suburban Normalcy, finding love. But it’s also more than that. It’s about loss, sacrifice,
ElaineY
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Ok, I was going to give this just 1 star because after so many pages filled with the apprehensions of the two men (it's Novel Plus length), that is all the book is. There's not even "full-length" sex - just a few BJs and coming in their hands. Both sex and romance are sacrificed to fill page after page with the men's ambivalence towards their relationship.

I settled for 2 stars instead of just one because the issues Matt and Evan deal with are altogether too real - how do you handle telling your
Steph
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
**** Buddy Read with Cindi ****

I don't usually read books this short, they tend to fall a little flat for me. Not enough time to develop the characters or the story line, but this book was brilliant.

I loved the prologue. I thought that Michaels did an amazing job at making me care for a character so much in such little time. I was crying for Evan and I didn't even know him yet.
Everything was explained so honestly, I felt like I was feeling his pain...

'They let him touch her hand and kiss
Teal
There's a lot to like here. I really felt the connection between Matt and Evan, both as friends and as lovers. But I knew going in that this book wouldn't exactly be my cup of tea -- any story featuring children and family drama is a story I normally go well out of my way to avoid.

But I read it because it was recommended to me during my ongoing search for m/m with demisexual MCs. It never explicitly uses the term "demisexual" (just as you'd expect for a book originally published in 2008), but I
Parvathy
Nov 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book..I like reading gay for you books and what I really liked was that this book is about two people who are with a man for the first time in their lives.

Evan having just lost his wife is broken down and struggling with his grief and the responsibility of being a single parent . Matt who is working for a security company is mourning the loss of his beloved job as a cop . Their shared grief of loss of the love of their lives allows a friendship to be born. Evan and Matt has found a
Ezinwanyi
Widower Evan Cerelli is drowning in a sea of grief until his friendship with an ex-cop Matt Haight becomes a lifeline. What happens when two straight men begin developing feeling for each other? This was their awkward and terrying journey as they tried to figure out what this means.

Great story, although it's not done. Greet writing, Evan has great kids and friends. I just loved this one
⊱✿⊰ Alicia ⊱✿⊰
4.5 Lovely Stars

What a devastating way to start a story!

photo crying_zpsi6c1fh12.gif

Evan has lost the love of his life, his wife and the mother of his children when she was killed in a tragic accident. So understandably he is lost for along time afterwards and is finding his job as a police officer and looking after his four children very hard.

Matt has also suffered loss but has had a little more time to deal with it. Matt used to be a cop then became a private investigator, he seems to be a bit lost though and not happy
❧Gwendolyn❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
Vice Detective Evan Cerelli..is straight.

The Romance. 4 Sweet New Life Changing Stars!

The only person he ever slept with was his beloved wife(she has passed away).

In walks Matt (former detective ) in chapter 1.

Ooh and...Matt is straight too.

But...it seems he has an attraction to Matt.

Well, both of them fell and both of their world shatters...(view spoiler)
Tina
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read in January 2012.

Evan Cerelli is a widower and single Dad of 4 kids. After the death of his wife in a car crash he can barely put his life back together, he’s just a shadow of his former self. Matt Haight is a playboy and ex-cop. Working for a security company, he feels a big loss for the only job he ever loved. The two find friendship in the bottom of a shared bottle...

It’s very lovely to see how their deep friendship unexpectedly grows into something new, exciting, yet frightening at the
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
Oh.My.GAWD! This book!

Such an emotionally charged book and oh what a beautiful romance.

This is one of those books that will stay with me for a good long while. It was heartbreaking, emotional, and yet utterly beautiful. I found myself near tears at some parts, and flat out crying at some others.
I mean, reading Evan's story and heartbreak...oh...

Beautifully written romance. I couldn't help but get emotionally involved in the story and the characters. Matt and Evan both had demons that they were
Cristopher
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star-books
Satisfying. Comfortable. Entertaining. Realistic.

I won't say much as this book got tons of great reviews out there. I'm definitely one of those who have enjoyed the ride!

From the heart gripping prologue.. up to the very last page of satisfying ending. I have not found any dull moment!

This book let me experience the thrill and excitement of exploring a new found unfamiliar territory of being in love with a man for the very first time as Evan and Matt navigate through it..

All the freaking out,
Jaela
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book. I wanted it so much. The first half was very good. I don't know what happened with the second one. There was something missing. And the ending was a bit rushed.

Melissa (Ever So Mela)
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
3.75

Great slow burn romance with just the right amount of angst. Loved every single character and what they bright to the story. Man, I even loved the kids and found they were done in a perfect balance between naive and keen.

Amazing flow and credibility. And loved the steamy encounters.
Only missing one thing which would have made this a good five stars in my book
(view spoiler)
Richard
If anyone were to ask ”why your love of m/m romance books”?
My answer will always be because of Tere Michaels FAITH, LOVE AND DEVOSION series.

And while reading them, I discovered Kaje Harper’s LIFE LESSONS, Josh Lanyon’s ADRIEN ENGLIH MYSTERIES, and Abigail Roux’s CUT & RUN series, among many other.

And then I was hooked, obsessed, in love with M/M romance.
Ms Michaels, it’s all your fault.

My heart will always belong to the FAITH, LOVE AND DEVOTION.
Dreamspinner Press: Faith & Fidelity by Tere Michaels 1 9 Oct 13, 2014 09:33PM
Who Should Play Matt and Evan in a movie? 7 254 Dec 24, 2013 07:27AM
Theme Song 1 50 Jul 20, 2010 06:31AM

• Promises (Coda Books, #1)
  • Zero at the Bone (Zero at the Bone #1)
  • Hot Head (Head #1)
  • Cop Out (Toronto Tales, #1)
  • Collide (Blackcreek, #1)
  • The Backup Boyfriend (The Boyfriend Chronicles, #1)
  • The Rebuilding Year (The Rebuilding Year, #1)
  • Cut & Run (Cut & Run, #1)
  • All Kinds of Tied Down (Marshals, #1)
  • Shades of Gray
  • A Matter of Time Book I (A Matter of Time #1)
  • Crossroads (Crossroads, #1)
  • Sticks & Stones (Cut & Run, #2)
  • Shattered Glass (Shattered Glass, #1)
  • Keeping Promise Rock (Promises, #1)
  • Fish & Chips (Cut & Run, #3)
  • Tigers and Devils (Tigers and Devils #1)
  • The Nothingness of Ben (The Austin Trilogy, #1)
Tere Michaels unofficially began her writing career at the age of four when she learned that people got paid to write stories. It seemed the most perfect and logical job in the world and after that, her path was never in question. (The romance writer part was written in the stars—she was born on Valentine’s Day.)

It took thirty-six years of “research” and “life experience” and well… life… before

Faith, Love & Devotion (6 books)
  • Love & Loyalty  (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #2)
  • Duty & Devotion  (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #3)
  • Cherish & Blessed (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #4)
  • Truth & Tenderness (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #5)
  • Forever & Ever: A Collection of Stories (Faith, Love & Devotion #6)
“You curse a lot.'

'Fuck you - I hardly curse at all.”
332 likes
“Got any mood music?”
“If you press Play on the stereo you’re going to hear Miley Cyrus.”
“I don’t know who that is.”
“Count your blessings.”