Start by marking “The Princess Who Believed in Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
The Princess Who Believed in Fairy Tales

The Princess Who Believed in Fairy Tales

For every woman who has ever dreamed of finding a Prince Charming and living happily ever after, only to have her cherished fairy tale shattered by the painful day-to-day reality of being hurt by the one she loves.
Published April 1st 1995 by Wilshire Book Company

To ask other readers questions about The Princess Who Believed in Fairy Tales, please sign up.
Carmen M-P Althogh the book is great, I read it when I was about 10 and I didn't really get the message it wans to transmit. I believe that, to completely unders…moreAlthogh the book is great, I read it when I was about 10 and I didn't really get the message it wans to transmit. I believe that, to completely understad it, they should be a bit older. But the could read it now anyway, it is entertaining.(less)

Start your review of The Princess Who Believed in Fairy Tales
Catarina
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Princess Who Believed in Fairy Tales surprised me a lot. It was one of those new age books I was afraid to read because I was afraid of what I would find. Lucky for me things turned out pretty well.
Marcia Grad tells the tale of a princess (who is actually every single girl out there) and puts her in the real world with a magic touch. It's a fairytale but it's pretty real.
The curse that befalls the prince, the journey of self discovery the princess takes, her imaginary friend, to an open min
Susanne
Apr 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Slow starting but an engaging read once the Princess begins her journey. The lessons that are taught and learned apply to finding happiness in yourself and not others and that striving for some idea of perfection is unattainable. While we should always continue to improve and better ourselves, we're worth loving the way we are. I liked that it depicted the struggles and doubts she went through. Lesson learned: You can't change others (a monkey putting a fish in tree doesn't help the fish -- read ...more
Jen
May 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was really good for me.
Part I and II were really hard to read. It hit too close to home.

My favorite quote was, "You're lost. That happens when we use someone else's map."

BookCupid
Nov 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
Princess Victoria isn't your regular spoiled princess. She grew up with extremely strict parents who wouldn't show her any encouragement. Who can blame her for daydreaming of a rescue, and who better to do it than prince charming.

This book is half story/ half self-help. Let's face it a woman who grows up with no self-esteem is most likely to marry someone who will disrespect her. Leaving is hard. Accepting your own involvement in the matter is even more difficult.

If you find yourself in a simi
Anne
May 12, 2008 rated it did not like it
Did not enjoy this book at all
Paul
Jul 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A fable about letting go of "fairy tale" expectations of life and finding your own path.
April Nowling
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An incredible book for women of any age. I wish they'd make a movie from this book!
Kelly
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Every woman can see a bit of herself in this . Great for teaching teens how to be true to themselves. Very easy read.
AnaE
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I read!! Is so good! and so lovely! Is this kind of books that you can read in one night! I cried like a baby for hours.
Jessica
3,5 stars
Elenariel
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many years after I read it I can't remember the plot details but I clearly remember the good feeling it left me with.
Very useful for understanding how "family" could be toxic, and self-worth awareness
Shanna
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. This one was definitely relate-able. Makes you think.
Hania G
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very clever book, very fresh and an easy read, with a good message
Dionysia
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Packed with symbolic meaning, is a beautiful real-life fairy tale for self-reliance, empowerment, and growth. An enjoyable read.
Poli
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ok, I like the message of the book (love yourself, only then can someone truly love you... and all that stuff), what doesn't do it for me is the way the story is written.
Animals that talk with human beings, really? I don't care if each one of those strange characters are, in the end, just part of the main character. It feels weird.
Perhaps it's because I never was one to love fairy tales with talking animals and prince charming (not even when I was a child).
In a way Grad did what I expected of th
I.J.
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Princess Victoria is a typical princess, with two monarch parents and pretty gardens. She even has talking animals to keep her company. But unlike the goofy Disney-esque companions, our princess befriends a bangjo-playing owl who shares his wisdom with her as she struggles with her extremely strict parents.

The princess' unforgiving parents refuse to accept her for who she is, though her only real fault is extreme naivete. Falling into the natural pattern of being a princess, she dreams of one da
Lady Makaveli
This is going to be a bit of a personal review but I know no other way to do this. This book is absolutely one of the best books I've ever read about abuse.
I grew up in an extremely abusive home. I always dreamed that abuse wouldn't happen to me, swore it never would; then I met my ex who from my early teens to 21 I was severely abused. Thought it was in my mind. Thought I was crazy. Thought there was no way I deserved better, and I sure couldn't make it on my own.
Then I don't remember how, I b
Inês Lory Pereira
When I bought this book I was expecting something completely different. I was expecting a typical fairy tale where there was a princess who would fall in love with prince charming and they would live happily ever after. Well, I couldn't be more wrong about it.

This book has a very simple writing and at first I was bored and almost disappointed. It wasn't challenging. However it's a book full of beautiful metaphors and it's quite impressive how the author did this while having such an easy writing
Vale (BooksAndTea58)
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ok.. I admit it. I loved fairy tales and when I was a little girl with ponytails and I still love them. What I was expecting when I got this book from a friend was just another fairy tale about a princess who wants a Prince Charming to rescue her from her life full of duties and responsibilities. Well, I WAS INCREDIBLY Wrong. this is of course a fairy tale but it helps the reader. In fact, the princess Victoria hasn't got the perfect life that she's supposed to have. She had always had to be per ...more
Karla
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, although at the beginning I found it a bit boring, maybe because the story was written like a fable and I wasn't expecting that. I was feeling a bit annoyed as soon as I noticed how repressed was the princess and how everybody was expecting her to be. The message is simple but good, as we sometimes don't notice that every little detail that happens in our lives, make such an impact in our future. The journey wasn't easy for the princess but she understood that these t ...more
Jennabel Dominika
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of those rare books I wish I could actually have in my own collection just so I could read it again and again. It includes good reminder of what is real love and what is not - healthy self-love is sometimes hard to find after difficult situations. I cried especially in those parts where the princess was being abused and was desperate for love only to have more hate from her significant other. After reading the book I felt very thankful of everything good in my life and more powerful to live ...more
Maye
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
A little fairy tale with a twist and a different ending. The thing I love most about this book is that it showed me at a very young age that if Prince Charming can't actually "save" you, you can totally save yourself and that's fine. Also, it taught me another important lesson: if Prince Charming ever turns out being the Prince-not-so-Charming, you can (and you should) leave him behind and go in search of your own personal happiness.
---
Un pequeño cuento de hadas con un giro y un final diferente.
Doron Yam
A surprisingly great fairy tale.
The book is about self searching and finding the way to your own truth and your own perfection. It can not be an easy way, as we see in the book, and the journey has to teach us how to deal with fears and doubts. It shows us how we find the real us in the end of the journey.
The psychological treatment is wrept with a nice fairy tale story that also teaches us a thing or two about "prince charming" and "lived happily ever after".
A must read.
Shivaun
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Every woman should read this book!! It is about not forgetting who you are or sacrificing your dreams in life. Women in relationships usually take on the burden of thier loved ones and become the nuturer. This book has simple and thought-provoking ideals that we should always remember and live by in order to retain our identity.
Krisztina KT
Dec 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book...I read it in one go, could not put it down. Felt like it was so real and so true to me. A great life lesson behind an old-fashioned story with a modern twist. I highly recommend it to every girl interested in self discovery and the true magic of life...the long rough road to finding happiness.
Carolyn
This parable is well written and may help those in an emotionally abusive relationship realize the situation they are in. Emotional abuse is not so easily recognized by others and those suffering from it often don't realize what's happening to them and instead feel as if they are the one going crazy. This story illuminates one possibility of how such things happen and offers hope.
Mariana
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this time ago, and I can honestly say that is a book that have a meaning in my life. There are lessons which you are supposed to know by now, but don't realize until you read it. I really like this book, and whenever I have time I re read it. It really opened my eyes to the wold (a really corny thing to say, but it really did). The way the problems are exposed and the lessons you learn.
Annemarie Gaines
This book was at first a little slow and not at all what i had expected it thrilled me and left me wanting more. Not only did it have a great story-line but gave amazing advice of events and concepts that one can relate to. How to make our self happy even when it doesn't seem possible or we feel tied to the ways we are use to.
Dawn
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A very very nice book. It taught me loads of thinks: humanity values, to grow, be oneself,... It is a very nice book for those who need to grow in very different ways and who doesn't really know how to change, where to go, what to do... I recommended to every teenager or pre-teenager and to every student who wants to grow up.
Mafer Orozco
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this book as a recommendation and I really enjoyed it. I'm going through a tough time in my life so, this book helped me in so many different ways, it was like seeing my life from another perspective. I hope that what I just read might help me to get out of this problem and be just how I want to be.
« previous 1 3 next »

• El caballero de la armadura oxidada
  • El regreso del caballero de la armadura oxidada
  • Atados a una estrella
  • Your Erroneous Zones
  • La Voz de tu Alma
  • Un grito desesperado: novela de superación para padres e hijos
  • Enamórate de ti: El valor imprescindible de la autoestima
  • Ya te dije adiós, ahora cómo te olvido. Una guía para sacarse al ex ex de la cabeza y el corazón (Biblioteca Walter Riso)
  • El Delfín: La historia de un soñador
  • Volar sobre el pantano superando adversidad
  • Juventud en éxtasis
  • El búho que no podía ulular
  • Mujercitas (Mujercitas, #1)
  • Y colorín colorado este cuento aún no se ha acabado
  • Donde habitan los ángeles
  • Ocho lugares que me recuerdan a ti
  • La fuerza de Sheccid
  • Uno siempre cambia al amor de su vida