Start by marking “Sphinx” as Want to Read:
Sphinx

Sphinx

The bestselling master of medical suspense Robin Cook mines the mysteries of Egypt's magnificent past to deliver a one-of-a-kind thriller packed with compelling realism and unrelenting suspense.

An excitement-packed thriller. (Chicago Thriller)

Rates top marks for unmitigated tension and surprise. (Los Angeles Times)
Published January 1st 1983 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Sphinx, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sphinx

Exina
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Sphinx is not the usual medical thriller by Cook but an adventurous mystery set in Egypt. I liked it at the time, but to be honest I prefer his medical stories.
Tahera
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this book back when I was maybe in the 10th grade so it suffices to say I don't remember much of the main plot line at all except that it had nothing to do with medicine and the mystery was based in Egypt. I wouldn't mind reading it again if I find a copy to refresh my memory...
Mark
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, adventure
I first saw the movie with Lesley-Anne Down as Erica Baron about an archaeologist who comes to Egypt to see a golden statue of the pharaoh Seti I in an antiques shop and when the proprietor gets killed and the statue taken she finds herself in danger. She essentialy gets involved in an in-fight between the various fractions of the Black Market selling Egyptian archaeological artifacts and the ministry responsible in stopping the traffic and selling of Egyptian treasures. The whole plot hinges on ...more
Read for the 2017 POPSUGAR Challenge prompt 'A Book that's Been on Your TBR List for Way too Long'

SPOILERS FOR IDENTITY OF BAD GUY AND WHERE THE MAIN CHARACTER ENDS UP

I have read this before, but not in at least a decade and I had obviously forgotten a number of pertinent plot points, enough that I might as well have been reading it for the first time.

The main thing that I had forgotten and was surprised (and not pleased) to read was that there was a love triangle (or maybe square) between Erica
Aslı Dağlı
Hastaneler, tahliller, durum degerlendirmeleri yuzunden elimde istedigimden fazla kalan #Heykel en nihayetinde bitti. Daha once #RobinCook'un iki kitabini okumustum ve okuduklarima dayanarak medikal gerilim yazdigina kanaat getirmistim. Oysa Heykel hic de oyle degildi. Genc bir misirbilimcinin kendini ispat etmek ugruna Misir'a gittigi ve aniden kendini sanat eseri kacakciliginin orta yerinde buldugu bir hikaye okumayi hic ama hic beklemiyordum. Ote yandan guzeldi de. Bana daha ziyade #CliveCuss ...more
J.H. Moncrieff
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5

A decent thriller with a side of Egyptian mystery, this was a quick and engaging read. While I didn't really care about the protagonist so much, and wondered why she kept assessing how beautiful she looked each day in her mind (is this how men believe women think? When I was in Egypt, the last thing I cared about was how my tan set off my dress), the novel had a good plot that kept one guessing, especially about the ancient-Egyptian aspect of the mystery.

Recommended if you like adventure stor
Sarah ~
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
رواية سريعة وخاطفة في أحداثها ومتقنة في كتابتها ، استمتعت بأجواء الآثار المصرية الموجود بينَ جنباتها ..وأحداثها التي تقع بمدينة القاهرة في السبعينات من القرن الماضي .
اريكا بارون عالمة مصريات تصل إلى القاهرة " بصفة سائحة " ومن القاهرة تبدأ مغامرتها المثيرة . وفي عالم الآثار الذي يتعاركُ الكثيرون لنيل جزءٍ منه ، فساد وسوق سوداء وأسرارٌ عائلية موغلة في القدم وألغازٌ لا يجرؤ أحد على سبر غورها أو الإقتراب منها ومحاولة حلها .
رغمَ كوني لا أطيق فكرة البطل المطلق "الأمريكي غالباً " ذلكَ البطل الذي يصل وي
Brian
May 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
Perhaps this was Robin Cook's thinking:

"Sphinx" = Egypt
"Sphinx" = riddle
"Riddle" = mystery
Sphinx = mystery in Egypt.

In any case, no sphinx figures into the plot of this novel, but it is an Egyptological mystery/thriller.

Young, beautiful Egyptologist Erica Baron, while on a sort of working vacation in Egypt, unexpectedly gets taken into the confidence of a black market antiquities dealer. The dealer shows her a fabulous statue of Seti I, a New Kingdom Pharaoh who ruled shortly after Tutankhamen,
Elizabeth Noah Astle
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have read other Robin Cook books that are all medical. This one has nothing to do with medicine.

This story is about Erica, an Egyptologist from Boston, who has traveled to Egypt as she has wanted to do for years and to get some time/space from Richard her boyfriend. On her first day there, she witnesses a murder, and sees a rare statue of Seti I. From then on, she meets a few people, Yvon and Ahmed, who claim that they want to help her as they are trying to stop the black market on antiquitie
Saraswati Urao
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This Book is totally adventurous and so fiction in it. Erica is so intelligent and brave.Hope is the best medicine to get anything you want.
The valley of kings and queen.
And while reading this book, my whole memory spent in Egypt was coming to live, the Giza Pyramids and the desert, the scorching heat.
Thank God i entered in one of the tomb
Gabriela Silva
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is probably the worst book I've read from Robin Cook. Not only was weird (because usually they are related with doctors and medicine) but also weak in characters. Erica was 100% stupid. Come on she just hushed herself from man to man as some kind of b**** and felt happy to have so much male attention. And worse! She was naive enough to be fooled by everyone - although the ending was.. kind of unexpected. I couldn't find anything remotely interesting in this book.
Fatima
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
it was a good reading journey, it was like im living in the old times, better yet i lived in egypt with erica and sensed all her emotions through tempting adventure.... a must read
KruemelGizmo
Die Gräber der Pharaonen, so heißt es wären alle verflucht. Erica Baron, eine junge Ägyptologin, ist fest entschlossen sich von diesen abergläubischen Ängsten nicht beeinflussen zu lassen. Kaum in Kairo angekommen, wird ihr Spürsinn belohnt, in einem Hinterzimmer eines Souvenirladens zeigt man ihr ein außergewöhnliches und uraltes Kunstwerk. Noch während sie das Kunstwerk bestaunt wird der Besitzer des Ladens ermordet. Und das ist nicht der letzte Mord…

Der Fluch der Sphinx aus der Feder von Robi
Roberta
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tutto-cook
I read almost all the books of Robin Cook and this is the one I like less. The plot is fine, characters are fine, the book is just that: fine.
A young, beautiful american girl with a doctorate in egyptology finally has the chance to travel to this country. If she were an Italian tourist she would have had food, a romance and some horrible souvenirs; if she were German, a sunburn; but no, she's American, so she witness a murder the very first day of her touring. Obviously she doesn't report it to
Rachel
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Carmen
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Overall a good read, with lots of exciting scenes in fantastic settings, but the author seems to have trouble in getting a life-like woman on paper. The negatives are 1) the naive, oblivious heroine who has a doctorate but no judgment at all and who manages to escape major injury despite herself, 2) the awkward, unrealistic dialogue whenever she is involved in the conversation, and 3) the author's propensity for having most of his male characters fall in love with her at first sight. ...more
Nikhil Singh
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Moving away from his forte ( medical thrillers ), I think robin cook has done a great job in writing a novel that encompasses history ( ancient Egypt ) and the current situation in Egypt. Also, I love the character of Erica. She is beautiful, smart and is damn good at what she does.

All in all, if you are a robin cook fan, you must read this book. It will give you a different angle of his writing capabilities.
Hannah
Rating Clarification: 3.5 Stars

Page turning beach fare. Still pretty entertaining after 35 years, although the late 1970's/early 80's *feel* creeps up now and again.
Richard Karns
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Although far-fetched at times I still found this an enjoyable read. Being a history nut anyway I really enjoyed some of the archeological aspects of the storyline.
Paula de Vera
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Ni fu ni fa. Desarrollo "tranquilo" y con pocos altibajos emocionantes realmente.
Kim Geiger
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Read this book a long time ago. However, loved it so much I searched a while to find the title. Egypt and mystery.......it was a fabulous read! Would like to read it again.
Aditi Varma
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Week 46, Book 86
Sphinx by Robin Cook
Rating: 3/5

I'm way behind my challenge, but I'm glad after a long time I finished a book. Festivals, travel, work, moving houses... Everything has led me to read much less than before and I'm afraid I won't be able to complete my target :/

Anywho. I came to know about this book through the Senior Reading Raccoons group when looking for historical fiction based on Egypt. I am fascinated by ancient Egypt and in another life I'm sure I'll study to be an Egyptolog
Nadia
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
La verdad es que esperaba un poco más de la historia, se me presento como una historia de misterio que incluía al antiguo Egipto y un gran descubrimiento, pero no encontré nada de eso en la lectura.

El misterio se hizo evidente desde el principio cuando la estatua y el nombre de los faraones se mencionó, a medida que se desarrollaban los sucesos se hicieron evidentes las intenciones de cada uno de los personajes, solamente el ministro de antigüedades fue un misterio hasta el final, pero en todo c
Jannah
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first Robin Cook book that I have ever read. Currently I am a British expat living in Cairo and this book was magical for me as his descriptions of places like khan el khalil souq are so true to life even 3o years after the book was written. Loved the book and even went on to track down the 1980's film of the book and watched this as well.
Matthew
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great read, the very descriptive writing made me imagine myself vividly watching the story unfold. Would like to see the other works Robin has produced. Short review cause I'm no critic, thoroughly enjoyed it though.
Sushant Joshi
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
One of the early books by Robin Cook, this one is kinda slow and takes time to grip the reader into the plot. I liked it because it let me see how Robin Cook, one of the authors I really like, started writing fiction!
Estefania Jimenez
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es buena, entretenida y me ha encantado la "visita" a Egipto, pero me ha parecido muy fácil todo. La protagonista sale de todas las situaciones con relativa facilidad sin tener la menor preparación, eso le ha restado credibilidad a la historia, aun así, me ha gustado.
Katie
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Erica Baron is an Egyptologist (a what??) who travels to Egypt to explore. She stumbles upon a huge antiquities black market scandal. Love. Murder. Pharaohs.
Debbie
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I know I've read this before .... but I really did not remember it. Totally glad I decided to re-read it. A fascinating look at the black market for antiquities.
sphinx by robin cook 2 18 Apr 20, 2011 10:50AM
sphinx by robin cook 1 7 Feb 06, 2010 06:53AM
  • Flashback
  • Death Rounds (Dr. Earl Garnet, #2)
  • Memoria
  • The Slayers of Seth (Amerotke, #4)
  • Splintered Icon
  • A Woman of Cairo
  • Dark Cities Underground
  • Lord of the Fantastic: Stories in Honor of Roger Zelazny
  • Urgent Care (Angels of Mercy, #3)
  • The Island
  • Erken mij
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine, biotechnology, and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who created the medical-thriller genre by combining medical writing with the thri
23 trivia questions
1 quiz
More quizzes & trivia...
“La honradez es un lujo de los ricos. El comerciante siempre trata de obtener el mejor precio por su mercadería, por sí mismo y por su familia. Los turistas que vienen aquí andan en busca de recuerdos. Si quieren comprar auténticas antigüedades, lo menos que pueden hacer es adquirir algún conocimiento sobre el tema. Es responsabilidad de ellos.” 0 likes