Start by marking “Repair to Her Grave (Home Repair is Homicide, #4)” as Want to Read:
Repair to Her Grave (Home Repair is Homicide, #4)

Repair to Her Grave

(Home Repair is Homicide #4)

Home repair can be murder.

Jacobia Tiptree and her teenage son are used to their Eastport, Maine, home attracting more than its share of houseguests. This year Jake is hoping the plaster dust will keep them away while she finally gets her gem of a fixer-upper into shape, from doorknobs and chandeliers to leaky pipes to ghostly phenomena.

But when the charming and mysterious
Published July 31st 2001 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Repair to Her Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Repair to Her Grave

Start your review of Repair to Her Grave (Home Repair is Homicide, #4)
Nolan
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nls-audio
It’s finally summer in eastern Maine, and that usually means that Jacobia(Jake) Tiptree is preparing to rent rooms in her 19th-century-era bed-and-breakfast. But not so this year. The place is just in too much of a state of disrepair, and Jake needs a summer to finish fixing it up. Additionally, she’s not so sure but what the place is haunted by its 1820’s owner, a shady musician.

The repairs are going nicely until Jonathan Raines shows up. He claims Jake agreed to his visit, and that he had been
Linda C
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Jacobia Tiptree and her son, Sam, live in an old house in Eastport, ME which she is renovating. She is a former financial advisor from Manhattan who moved to ME to remove herself from her promiscuous and emotionally abusive ex-husband, and her son from bad influences. In the 3 years they have been in ME they have been besieged by summer guests and this year they are not accepting any. However, a man appears who says he talked to her in January and had been invited to come. Jonathan Raines, is in ...more
Linda Beech
Jun 18, 2020 rated it liked it
An old fixer-upper home in a quaint Maine seaside village and a treasure hunt for a valuable antique violin. What’s not to love? Several things, actually. This was my first book by this author, so it took me a while to figure out the cast of characters, who were regulars and who were unique to this story. The complex, twisting plot was engaging, but it was hard to follow at times. There were so many subplots and red herrings that it sometimes became quite confusing. It also took me a while to ad ...more
Karen
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
If there were half stars this would be 3 and a half, but it got a bump up due to my love for the town of Eastport! The mystery is well thought out and written, I enjoy the characters, especially the native Mainers. It is fun to read about places in and around Eastport, many of which I have personally visited. A very enjoyable read!
Karendenice
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All cozy readers and anyone who does there own home repairs.
Recommended to Karendenice by: Goodreads
This is the first book in this series that I have read and I can't wait to read the rest. It's great and extremely funny. It's been quite a while since I've read any cozies other than those by Charlaine Harris and I was/am thrilled to find the Cozy Group and get back into reading them. Light-hearted and good clean fun.Home Repair is Homicide is the name of the series and it's quick and easy to read.
Susan
Meh. An OK read that I generally enjoyed so rounded up to three stars.

I generally liked the characters. I particularly that Jacobia seems to be finding her backbone in relation to her ex, Victor. I also appreciated that she was growing in relationship to her relationship with her son, Sam.

I also generally liked the plot, setting, and adventures Jacobia is having in renovating her home. That said, the plot line this time did get fairly convoluted and had a few areas that were contrived. But, st
Shirielle
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jacobia “Jake” Tiptree opens the door to Jonathan Raines, a visitor who says she agreed to host months ago. Jake doesn’t remember agreeing but he’s there now. The house is under construction and she along with best friend Ellie will be hosting a ladies group in a few days.

Jake is suspicious but before she can look into things, there is a report of a man falling off the pier.

Jake and Ellie of course are going to investigate. There are a couple of great storylines flowing through. The characters a
Peter Barr
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a complicated cozy mystery. It was also one of the most depressing I've read in this series. The basis of the series is a divorced woman with a philandering ex and a teenage son moves into a fixer upper in eastern coastal Maine. Her ex follows her to Maine. That's the happy part. She believes her house is haunted and bunch of people start showing up to search for the treasure in her house's history. It gets complicated. I've read a number of Sarah Graves' books and plan on reading the r ...more
Renee
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This book was a lot of fun, especially since it finally addressed some threads that Graves had been dangling, intentionally and intriguingly, in her earlier books. While I'm a little bummed that there won't be more threads coming from that direction, I have no doubt that Graves will figure out other plot points to dangle tauntingly in further books. Though, heck, even without them? I'm still a fan of Jake Tiptree.
Julia
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cozy mystery is a really good description of this book. I felt warm and cozy while reading it. The setting is great, a small island on the coast of Maine. The characters are likable and the atmosphere makes me wish I lived in Eastport too.

The mystery was interesting but got a little convoluted. It starts as a hunt for an old violin, but soon we are diving into local history and pirates. A very enjoyable read.
Diana Bustamante
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoy the setting which is downeast Maine but I feel that the author got a little beyond herself here. The ending was very convoluted and for me, hard to follow. The main character kept thinking she had everything figured out only to discover that she didn't. That happened multiple times.
Gloria Brzny
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy this series. The books have good mysteries. They are not solve all at once. When you get a solution, its the got the person or solution. However, the story does not end there. They are always loose ends to tie up. Really enjoyable reading. Enjoyable look at small towns vs New York city.
Sharon
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good mystery series, this is number four. Setting in Maine is vivid, characters are believable. I never figure things out very fast. Some good tips on home repair as well. I have the next seven waiting in the wings.
Diane Haney
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Second mystery in this series I have read. I find them more original and overall interesting than the average serial mystery. Ms Graves might approach the recently deceased Sue Grafton whom I adored, on my list of favorite mystery writers.
Ewa
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I don't really feel this series. I don't like any characters, the supernatural background is disturbing (not in a good way), there is basically nothing cozy about this story and I really would prefer nice mystery where there is a real investigation, a lot of suspects and so on.
Alise HARRIS
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer, smart-women, cozy
Jake is always likable. This one has a surprise guest looking for a violin, then he disappears. Her son is involved with a very questionable girl, Jill. She turns out to be even worse than Jake first thinks. I don't know why she says she's going to be there for the girl in the end.
Martha
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
This series started out pretty good, but on this one the author spends more time with the main character thinking up different theories about whodunit and very little action. I got so bored I didn't even finish it. I like the characters but the plot/story line was too sluggish.
Kendall L. Mann
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sins of the fathers

Seems like all families have a few skeletons they would rather not uncover. But what if doing so would turn up a valuable antique or a chest of gold or even free a spirit to move on?
It's complicated. And murder just never ends well.
Tina
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy, mystery
Liked the basic premise of the book, but some of the plot lines were a bit too contrived, in my opinion, and the ending was a bit too neat.
Patricia Goodman
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
First book I've read in this entertaining series. Jacobia Tiptree and Ellie are friends who are also "detectives" in Eastport, Maine.
Susan
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
Not my favorite, but I still enjoyed it.
Mary
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Oh, to be as competent as Jacobia with home repairs!
Dianne
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed but not as much as the previous books in the series, the wrap up was a bit sugary.
Krystle
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh, this one wasn't so great. The supernatural element was good, and the ending threw me for a bit of a loop, but it didn't really capture my attention as well as the other books did.
Byron Miller
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-books
Gets better the farther into the book you go.
Debbie Cogswell
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read in a long time! Definitely not your average story.
Rachel
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A graduate student comes to stay with Jake uninvited. He disappears the first night. His estranged girlfriend comes and refuses to leave. Meantime Jake is hosting boos club and everything goes wrong.
Tamera Glenn Devine
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love this author, all these Home Repair mysteries are sweet and sour and very twisty. Will probably read them all.
Leni Davis
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great mystery!
Avid Series Reader
Repair to Her Grave by Sarah Graves is book 4 of the Home Repair is Homicide mystery series set in contemporary Eastport Maine. Jacobia “Jake” Tiptree used to be a financial investment wizard in New York City, married to a selfish arrogant surgeon who tyrannized her life and their son’s. One day she “ran away” from it all, buying an old rambling house with decades or centuries of history in the easternmost city of the US. Her life and her son’s life changed dramatically on the spot. Now she is f ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Doom with a View (Merry Ghost Inn. #2)
  • Leave No Scone Unturned (Chef-to-Go Mystery, #2)
  • Dead and Breakfast (Merry Ghost Inn, #1)
  • Tart of Darkness (Chef-to-Go Mystery, #1)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. McClure (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • The Ghost and the Dead Deb (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Late Checkout (Witch City Mystery #9)
  • Brush With Death (An Art Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • The Last Curtain Call (Haunted Home Renovation Mystery #8)
  • Buried to the Brim (Hat Shop Mystery, #6)
  • Something Borrowed, Something Mewed (Lucky Paws Petsitting Mystery #5)
  • Death On Demand (Death On Demand, #1)
  • Beaches, Bungalows, and Burglaries (A Camper & Criminals Cozy #1)
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • Valleys, Vehicles & Victims (A Camper & Criminals Cozy #9)
  • Buried in the Stacks (The Haunted Library Mysteries, #3)
  • Darned if You Do (A Needlecraft Mystery, #18)
  • Steeped in Murder: A Tea and Tarot Cozy Mystery
Sarah Graves lives with her husband John, a musician and luthier, and their black Labrador Retriever in a house very much like the one Jacobia Tiptree is remodeling in Eastport, Maine. When she's not writing Jake's adventures, Sarah works with her husband on the house and she plays the 5-string banjo.

Home Repair is Homicide (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide, #1)
  • Triple Witch (Home Repair is Homicide, #2)
  • Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide, #3)
  • Wreck the Halls (Home Repair is Homicide, #5)
  • Unhinged (Home Repair is Homicide, #6)
  • Mallets Aforethought (Home Repair is Homicide, #7)
  • Tool and Die (Home Repair is Homicide, #8)
  • Nail Biter (Home Repair is Homicide, #9)
  • Trap Door (Home Repair is Homicide, #10)
  • The Book of Old Houses (Home Repair is Homicide, #11)

News & Interviews

“winter in downeast Maine makes summer seem like something that only happens to other, more fortunate people, probably on some other planet.” 0 likes