Start by marking “Repair to Her Grave (Home Repair is Homicide, #4)” as Want to Read:
Repair to Her Grave (Home Repair is Homicide, #4)

Repair to Her Grave

(Home Repair is Homicide #4)

Home repair can be murder.

Jacobia Tiptree and her teenage son are used to their Eastport, Maine, home attracting more than its share of houseguests. This year Jake is hoping the plaster dust will keep them away while she finally gets her gem of a fixer-upper into shape, from doorknobs and chandeliers to leaky pipes to ghostly phenomena.

But when the charming and mysterious
Published July 31st 2001 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Repair to Her Grave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Repair to Her Grave

Nolan
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nls-audio
It’s finally summer in eastern Maine, and that usually means that Jacobia(Jake) Tiptree is preparing to rent rooms in her 19th-century-era bed-and-breakfast. But not so this year. The place is just in too much of a state of disrepair, and Jake needs a summer to finish fixing it up. Additionally, she’s not so sure but what the place is haunted by its 1820’s owner, a shady musician.

The repairs are going nicely until Jonathan Raines shows up. He claims Jake agreed to his visit, and that he had been
Linda C
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Jacobia Tiptree and her son, Sam, live in an old house in Eastport, ME which she is renovating. She is a former financial advisor from Manhattan who moved to ME to remove herself from her promiscuous and emotionally abusive ex-husband, and her son from bad influences. In the 3 years they have been in ME they have been besieged by summer guests and this year they are not accepting any. However, a man appears who says he talked to her in January and had been invited to come. Jonathan Raines, is in ...more
Karen
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
If there were half stars this would be 3 and a half, but it got a bump up due to my love for the town of Eastport! The mystery is well thought out and written, I enjoy the characters, especially the native Mainers. It is fun to read about places in and around Eastport, many of which I have personally visited. A very enjoyable read!
Karendenice
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All cozy readers and anyone who does there own home repairs.
Recommended to Karendenice by: Goodreads
This is the first book in this series that I have read and I can't wait to read the rest. It's great and extremely funny. It's been quite a while since I've read any cozies other than those by Charlaine Harris and I was/am thrilled to find the Cozy Group and get back into reading them. Light-hearted and good clean fun.Home Repair is Homicide is the name of the series and it's quick and easy to read.
Peter Barr
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a complicated cozy mystery. It was also one of the most depressing I've read in this series. The basis of the series is a divorced woman with a philandering ex and a teenage son moves into a fixer upper in eastern coastal Maine. Her ex follows her to Maine. That's the happy part. She believes her house is haunted and bunch of people start showing up to search for the treasure in her house's history. It gets complicated. I've read a number of Sarah Graves' books and plan on reading the r ...more
Renee
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This book was a lot of fun, especially since it finally addressed some threads that Graves had been dangling, intentionally and intriguingly, in her earlier books. While I'm a little bummed that there won't be more threads coming from that direction, I have no doubt that Graves will figure out other plot points to dangle tauntingly in further books. Though, heck, even without them? I'm still a fan of Jake Tiptree.
Julia
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cozy mystery is a really good description of this book. I felt warm and cozy while reading it. The setting is great, a small island on the coast of Maine. The characters are likable and the atmosphere makes me wish I lived in Eastport too.

The mystery was interesting but got a little convoluted. It starts as a hunt for an old violin, but soon we are diving into local history and pirates. A very enjoyable read.
Martha
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
This series started out pretty good, but on this one the author spends more time with the main character thinking up different theories about whodunit and very little action. I got so bored I didn't even finish it. I like the characters but the plot/story line was too sluggish.
Alise HARRIS
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy, summer, smart-women
Jake is always likable. This one has a surprise guest looking for a violin, then he disappears. Her son is involved with a very questionable girl, Jill. She turns out to be even worse than Jake first thinks. I don't know why she says she's going to be there for the girl in the end.
Diana Bustamante
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoy the setting which is downeast Maine but I feel that the author got a little beyond herself here. The ending was very convoluted and for me, hard to follow. The main character kept thinking she had everything figured out only to discover that she didn't. That happened multiple times.
Diane Haney
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Second mystery in this series I have read. I find them more original and overall interesting than the average serial mystery. Ms Graves might approach the recently deceased Sue Grafton whom I adored, on my list of favorite mystery writers.
Ewa
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I don't really feel this series. I don't like any characters, the supernatural background is disturbing (not in a good way), there is basically nothing cozy about this story and I really would prefer nice mystery where there is a real investigation, a lot of suspects and so on.
Kendall L. Mann
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sins of the fathers

Seems like all families have a few skeletons they would rather not uncover. But what if doing so would turn up a valuable antique or a chest of gold or even free a spirit to move on?
It's complicated. And murder just never ends well.
Sharon
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good mystery series, this is number four. Setting in Maine is vivid, characters are believable. I never figure things out very fast. Some good tips on home repair as well. I have the next seven waiting in the wings.
Gloria Brzny
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy this series. The books have good mysteries. They are not solve all at once. When you get a solution, its the got the person or solution. However, the story does not end there. They are always loose ends to tie up. Really enjoyable reading. Enjoyable look at small towns vs New York city.
Krystle
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh, this one wasn't so great. The supernatural element was good, and the ending threw me for a bit of a loop, but it didn't really capture my attention as well as the other books did.
Tina
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Liked the basic premise of the book, but some of the plot lines were a bit too contrived, in my opinion, and the ending was a bit too neat.
Mary
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Oh, to be as competent as Jacobia with home repairs!
Susan
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Not my favorite, but I still enjoyed it.
Patricia Goodman
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
First book I've read in this entertaining series. Jacobia Tiptree and Ellie are friends who are also "detectives" in Eastport, Maine.
Dianne
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed but not as much as the previous books in the series, the wrap up was a bit sugary.
Avid Series Reader
Repair to Her Grave by Sarah Graves is book 4 of the Home Repair is Homicide mystery series set in contemporary Eastport Maine. Jacobia “Jake” Tiptree used to be a financial investment wizard in New York City, married to a selfish arrogant surgeon who tyrannized her life and their son’s. One day she “ran away” from it all, buying an old rambling house with decades or centuries of history in the easternmost city of the US. Her life and her son’s life changed dramatically on the spot. Now she is f ...more
Awwwtrouble
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
#4 in Home Repair is Homicide - I'm slowly working my way through this series. I was about to add #5 to my want to read list when I realized I hadn't entered this one yet! This was a fairly entertaining entry in the series. I like books set in Maine (though thus far they've all been set in the summer or early fall - I think #5 takes us into winter), and I like a light mystery. But in reading a series like this, I'm always struck by how if this was all happening in real life how there would be da ...more
Jan C
Jul 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, place
I enjoy these books. They are light, quick reads. Entertaining. People come to Eastport, Maine, for a short visit and end up taking up residence there or coming year after year for visits.

Jacobia Tiptree believes she has a haunted house. Jared Hayes, an earlier owner, is supposed to have been a composer and to have had a Stradivarius violing. Jonathan Raines says that Jake has invited her. She can't remember. And he says he wants to look for this violin.

As is the case with any old house, she is
Kristin
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
It's a comfortable mystery with a nice twist. It's the type of story that I like to curl up with and read.

Cons:
It took me a bit to get used to the way she writes. It read a bit awkwardly at times, and that annoyed me at first.

I don't share the main character's viewpoints or feelings towards certain characters, so by the end of the story the resolutions that she experienced towards them individually frustrated me.

HOWEVER- I feel that all in all these little Cons were far outweighed by the Pro's
K. East
May 06, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the 4th book in the series but the first one I read because all the others were checked out. But I have to say that I almost abandoned this book before I was 50 pages into it because of a flaky writing style the author adopted in this title. [At least I hope it's only in this title -- I'm reading book #1 now and it is blessedly absent there]. Basically, the author keeps interrupting character conversations with thoughts/observations from the main character [Jacobia]-- and then picks up t ...more
Ricki
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thought I read all the books in this series..but somehow I have missed this one! Jacobia has an unexpected summer guest...one she does not remember inviting! Her colonial-era house is falling apart, and possibly haunted, her ex-husband has moved to Eastport just to annoy her, her teenage son has taken up scuba-diving and emulating his father's philadering ways, and now her uninvited guest may or may not be looking for the legendary treasure hidden years ago by the very man whose unresting spir ...more
Traummachine
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didnt-finish
This is the only book I've ever bought while antiquing, and it looked ridiculous and worth a shot.

The 4th book in a series, it's a whimsical mystery set in Maine. There were a couple horror references that made me grin and some cute humor. Overall though it was a straight up mystery, which isn't really my style of story. Heck, I can't even get into BBC's Sherlock with Arthur Dent.

If I were a mystery fan, I think I'd like this. Light-hearted and funny, with what looked like a good cast of repeat
Becca
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A new mystery series for me, Home Repair Is Homicide, though unfortunately this was not the first in the series. I like the theme, home maintenance, and I like the setting, Eastport, Maine, where the author actually lives too, in an old federal-style house that inspires the stories. Jacobia Tiptree, the heroine, divorced and living and repairing, with her son Sam, and many friends on the island. Read well and with a nice Maine accent on certain characters, by Lindsay Ellison."
Val
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jacobia Tiptree murder mystery. Jake is working hard on her fixer-upper historic house in Maine. When her charming guest lodger disappears she feels it is something to do with his search for a missing cursed violin - a local legend. Is this connected with the original owner who disappeared a long time ago? Great twist to the ending.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Funeral Food (Tory Bauer Mystery, #1)
  • Dusted To Death (Charlotte LaRue Mystery #8)
  • The Captain
  • Marco Polo, If You Can
  • Scratch the Surface (A Cat Lover's Mystery #1)
  • Creeps Suzette (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #15)
  • Pale as the Dead (Natasha Blake Ancestor Detective, #1)
  • Flipped Out (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #5)
  • Drip Dead (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #3)
  • String of Lies (Craft Corner, #2)
  • Backstab (Francesca Vierling Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Man's Bones (China Bayles, #13)
  • The Viognier Vendetta (Wine Country Mysteries #5)
  • Died in the Wool (Knitting Mysteries, #1)
  • Death is a Cabaret (Antique Lover, #1)
  • Literally Murder (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery #4)
Sarah Graves lives with her husband John, a musician and luthier, and their black Labrador Retriever in a house very much like the one Jacobia Tiptree is remodeling in Eastport, Maine. When she's not writing Jake's adventures, Sarah works with her husband on the house and she plays the 5-string banjo.

Home Repair is Homicide (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide, #1)
  • Triple Witch (Home Repair is Homicide, #2)
  • Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide, #3)
  • Wreck the Halls (Home Repair is Homicide, #5)
  • Unhinged (Home Repair is Homicide, #6)
  • Mallets Aforethought (Home Repair is Homicide, #7)
  • Tool and Die (Home Repair is Homicide, #8)
  • Nail Biter (Home Repair is Homicide, #9)
  • Trap Door (Home Repair is Homicide, #10)
  • The Book of Old Houses (Home Repair is Homicide, #11)
“winter in downeast Maine makes summer seem like something that only happens to other, more fortunate people, probably on some other planet.” 0 likes