Start by marking “Jingo (Discworld, #21; City Watch, #4)” as Want to Read:
Jingo (Discworld, #21; City Watch, #4)

Jingo

(Discworld #21)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  53,733 ratings  ·  1,398 reviews
'Neighbours... hah. People'd live for ages side by side, nodding at one another amicably on their way to work, and then some trivial thing would happen and someone would be having a garden fork removed from their ear.'

Throughout history, there's always been a perfectly good reason to start a war. Never more so if it is over a 'strategic' piece of old rock in the middle of
Published February 12th 2006 by Corgi Books (first published November 11th 1997)

·  53,733 ratings  ·  1,398 reviews

Start your review of Jingo (Discworld, #21; City Watch, #4)
Mario the lone bookwolf
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pratchett-terry
A homage to the always funny punchline of saber rattling with the danger of an escalating, raging war because of instrumentalized patriotism around a small piece of worthless land, in this case, a tiny island.

Diplomacy is an art of its own and wait what Vetinari has prepared towards the end, it´s a masterpiece of interstate relationship longtime planning. Possibly many real life troubles, quarrels, and close to Mutual Assured Destruction WW3 scenarios went, are just going, and will go a similar
Melindam
‘Why are our people going out there?’ said Mr Boggis of the Thieves’ Guild.
‘Because they are showing a brisk pioneering spirit and seeking wealth and . . . additional wealth in a new land,’ said Lord Vetinari.
‘What’s in it for the Klatchians?’ said Lord Downey.
‘Oh, they’ve gone out there because they are a bunch of unprincipled opportunists always ready to grab something for nothing,’ said Lord Vetinari.

'Wazir comes from Smale, you see,' said Carrot. 'And Mr Goriff comes from Elharib, and the tw
Manuel Antão
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2001
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

9/11: "Jingo" by Terry Pratchett

Back in the day, I randomly grabbed a copy of one of Pratchett's books as I bulked up my reading list for the next day when my vacation started. I woke up to 9/11 and the news of the four hijacked planes. Shocked and stressed, with the news playing in its continual loop in the background, I started reading "Jingo" - having no idea what the book was about, only that I needed something to distract me. I ce
Nathan
The Complete Discworld Reread

I am a Granny Weatherwax guy. With no hesitation. You ask me which Pratchett story arc is the best and I will yell to the world how awesome the witches of Lancre are. But I got a dirty secret; it wasn’t always this way to me. Granny is the other woman, the one I left my first love for. Before I fell in love with Granny, I was a city watch man through and through. Reading Jingo again has reminded me exactly why.

It is not the best book of the Discworld series, not by a
Lyn
War, huh, yeah
What is it good for
Absolutely nothing
Say it again, why'all" – Edwin Starr

"Gen'rals gathered in their masses,
Just like witches at black masses
Evil minds that plot destruction,
Sorcerer of death's construction
In the fields the bodies burning,
As the war machine keeps turning
Death and hatred to mankind,
Poisoning their brainwashed minds

Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, 2019-shelf, humor
War. War never changes.

Unless you're talking about Discworld.

And then history tends to change based on what you had to eat and whether or not a football is involved. And then, you need to remember the importance of knowing your neighbor's names.

You know... this second time reading this was much more interesting than the first. I simply had a much better time going to war. There's nothing like a bit of stabby stabby or running away from a certain man of the watch dressed up like a woman to get t
Ashley
"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

Jingo is an anti-war book in the guise of an absurdist farcical satire.

I've been working on getting though the Discwo
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Full review to come. I loved this much more the second time round! A fine addition to the Night's Watch.
Trish
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bingly-bingly-bingly beep!

It was time for my monthly dose of Discworld!

Once upon a time, I would have sworn that NOTHING could ever surpass one of the witches novels in this series. Today, I have to confess that might no longer be the case.

This 21st novel, initially unbeknownst to me, is one of the novels featuring The Watch. As such, we get Sgt. Colon, Nobby, Angua, Captain Carrot, Detritus (my favourite) and Commander/Lord/Sir Vimes and the rest of their weird bunch as well as the entirety
José
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discworld
English | Español (más abajo)

This is the Spanish edition of Jingo, I'll try to write a review soon. I haven't had much time lately and I have an awful lot of pending reviews ¬¬. In short: go read it, every single Terry Pratchett book is worth your money and time; especially this one since it's one of the best books in the Discworld series.

Even though each novel can be read as a standalone book, It's highly recommended to read the previous books of the Guards series to get to know the background
Wastrel
Con: largely disposable within the context of Discworld and feels a little like an afterthought. Highly patronising, with vague suggestions of some somewhat iffy political assumptions. Inadequate plot (partly I think on purpose).

Pro: very funny. Surprisingly enjoyable. A chance to see the Watch characters in a slightly more normal situation and at a relaxed pace, at least in the first half of the book.

Summary: I always remembered the downsides and thought this was one of the worst Discworld nove
Richard
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, comedy
6/10

This is the weakest Watch novel I’ve read to date, quite simply the bar has been set too high in the previous novels meaning that a small blip is quite a noticeable drop in quality. Whilst entertaining in parts it became a bit of a chore to finish this one with a very convoluted plot which started tangling itself up the further things progressed and I was losing the threads the longer I read.

The first 1/3 of the novel is the usual top notch quality writing with a mystery being looked into b
Kaethe Douglas
June 20, 2013

An ancient island appears halfway between Klatch and Anhk-Porpork and a war is brewing. Vimes and the Watch; the Patrician, Leonardo, Nobbs and Colon; and various other characters are all trying to avert or encourage the war for their various purposes. I just love how Pratchett gets sharper in his satire, more pointed, while retaining the slapstick. In this case, it's an anti-war book that manages to acknowledge why people want to have wars, even while coming up with a clever solut
Kathleen
I love this Discworld "City Watch" sub-series. Love the characters: Commander Sam Vimes, Lord Vetinari, Captain Carrot, the troll Detritus, and the whole multi-species gang of street patrollers.

About the title, from lspace Annotated Pratchett: "By jingo!" is an archaic, jocular oath, of obscure origin, used in Britain in the 18th and 19th centuries. The word -- with derived forms such as 'jingoism' and 'jingoistic' -- became associated with aggressive, militaristic nationalism as a result of a
Anna
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Terry Pratchett’s take on War. Funny and absurd, with a satyrical view on why people start a war: greed, racism, prejudice, religion, sheer stupidity.

“Why are our people going out there,” said Mr. Boggis of the Thieves’ Guild.
"Because they are showing a brisk pioneering spirit and seeking wealth and … additional wealth in a new land,” said Lord Vetinari.
“What’s in it for the Klatchians?” said Lord Downey.
“Oh, they’ve gone out there because they are a bunch of unprincipled opportunists always rea
Pavle
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantastika
„Carrot brandished the spear.

‘And I promise you this,’ he shouted, ‘if we succeed, no one will remember. And if we fail, no one will forget!’

Probably one of the worst rallying cries, Vimes thought, since General Pidley’s famous ’Let’s go get our throats cut, boys!’ but it got a huge cheer. And once again he speculated that there was magic going on at some bone-deep level. People followed Carrot out of curiosity.“

Mislim da je Pračet (ili bolje reći Petčet! Ili možda Prapet? Pračpet??) ovde
David Sarkies
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Ankh-Morpork Goes to War
5 April 2016

I have to admit that I'm quite surprised that I have now read 21 of the Discworld books. Okay, that actually isn't much of an effort where I'm concerned considering that for some inexplicable reason I ended ploughing through a large majority of the Xanth books, and also pretty much read every Forgotten Realms book (and a few Dragonlance books) as soon as they hit the shelves. Okay, after doing English Literature at university I must admit that my taste in boo
Marta
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” My all time favorite quote comes from this book.

You can be neighbors for many years and it can change overnight, say, if an island appears from out of nowhere and we both lay a claim to it. War is so easy to monger and so many people are eager to do it.

“It was so much easier to blame it on Them.[…] No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do t
Melinda Snodgrass
Jul 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I came to Terry Pratchett late which meant I have this lovely, long line of books to graze through. Pratchett's Discworld is just our world, but amplified by the presence of witches and wizards, and Death is a character, and a lovely old duffer with a charming, if prickly, granddaughter. Rounding out the cast is the enigmatic ruler of THe Discworld's major city, and the various citizens of that city from thieves and beggars, and bankers, and trying to help keep order over this motley crew is the ...more
Melissa McShane
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I need something comfortable on a Sunday afternoon, I generally pick up a Terry Pratchett novel. I'm not sure why I opted for this one over all the others, since it's not one of my favorites--or maybe that's why; it came across as fresher than one I might have read more recently. In this novel, Pratchett skewers the idea of the noble war and the instinct of mankind to distrust and hate the Other. The appearance of a mysterious island sets Morporkians against Klatchians, despite the fact tha ...more
Lindsay
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Part of the Pratchett reread with the SpecFic Buddy Reads group in 2019.

This entry in the Watch series sees Vimes and Vetinari dealing with the sudden reappearance of the of the lost island of Leshp and the political consequences. In particular, a brewing war with neighboring Klatch. Vimes, as ever, is struggling with the fast-growing Watch and the responsibilities that creates for a very hands-on Watch Commander with everything suffering, including sleep and his relationship with Sybil.

While th
Fiona
I FOUND COMMANDER VIMES IN A CHARITY SHOP *happy dance* - you must know how rare this is. Yoink, HAVING THAT.

------------

From 2012:

It's not very often in the next few months that I'm going to get to read a whole book in a day, so I thought, in for a penny, in for a pound, took a Sunday off and settled down with Commander Vimes and a bar of Dairy Milk.

It was a good choice. Of course it was. I've been recommended 'Jingo' several times, and it's perfectly obvious why: it's exactly my kind of thing.
YouKneeK
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jingo is the fourth book in the City Watch subseries of Discworld. When I first started this subseries, I didn’t think I was going to like it very much. It’s grown on me, though, and I think it’s now my second favorite after the Witches subseries.

In this book, a disagreement between fishermen in the middle of the sea between Ankh-Morpork and Klatch triggers buried resentments and prejudices among citizens of both places until it appears that war is inevitable. As is common with this subseries,
Marina
Aug 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, favorite, 5-star
I don't think I've ever laughed so much because of a book as I have with this one. Terry Pratchett is a genius of comedic yet poignant writing. Which makes me that much sadder that he passed away.

These books always start off slowly, with one common theme driving a narrative and an important issue and looking it through a ridiculous/comedic glasses in this one it's racism, xenophobia, and overt nationalism.

I would have never thought that the pairing Vetinari, Nobby, and Colon would ever happen o
Carly
Excellent Vimes book, and good one to start with. Pratchett's satire of racism, imperialism, and, as the title might suggest, jingoism.
Also features fun with the split in the Trousers of Time, Vimes' struggles with his wife's well-meant gift of a Dis-Organizer, and an enjoyable submarine ride with only Leonardo de Quirm, crazy genius, Vetinari, tyrant, Sgt Colin, complete moron, and Nobby Nobbs, possibly human, as passengers.
Also features Carrot, the unrecognized king of Ankh Morpork, acting hum
Ms. Smartarse
Ankh Morpork and Klatch have been at peace for a long time now. Klatchians would even send their sons to the prestigious Assassin's Guild Academy, and Ankh Morporkans (sp??) would happily lend money to neighbours. And yet, when a mysterious island emerges from the sea all bets are off. Both sides are set to claim the island of Leshp as their own.

Ancient ruins on a mysterious island

There is an attempt at a diplomatic solution, when Prince Khufurah visits Ankh Morpork to talk with the Patrician. Nevertheless, things end badly for bo
John McDermott
More marvellous fun from Sir Terry as he lampoons toxic nationalism and racism. Excellent as always.
Andree
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, 2016, re-read
2016 Reread

Bumping this up a star the second time through. Even though I didn't remember a lot of this, despite it being one of my more recently read Discworld novels prior to the great 2016 TP read-through (fulfilling my earlier prediction that I wouldn't remember any of the details for any length of time).

Because this worked for me a lot better the second time around, perhaps because I'm now reading the Discworld in order. I have a better understanding of the dynamics of the Watch, and the dyn
James
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: james, pratchett
While it's not one of my very favorite Discworld novels, there's no such thing as a bad one. Especially in the City Watch series. This one doesn't have quite the same oomph as the ones before and after it. But it's worth it for the adventures of Nobby, Colon, Vetenari and de Quirm alone.
Alfred Haplo
If only war is this funny. In Jingo *, humor and nationalism compete in a match-up, with laughter the clear winner. The victory, though, is a consolation for readers expecting more than the intent of war. The lead-in to a complex story is there - xenophobia, racism, jingoism - but for all the promise of anger and conflict and tension at the beginning, Jingo veers off to simpler, safer grounds. Occasionally, observers do rear their philosophical heads, those are Jingo’s finest moments, with Nobby ...more

• Monstrous Regiment
  • Unseen Academicals: Adapted for the Stage
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • The Nice and Accurate Good Omens TV Companion
  • The Magic of Terry Pratchett
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Quandary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #4)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Secondary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #2)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Primary Phase
  • Interesting Times: The Play
  • Interesting Times (Interesting Times, #1)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Tertiary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #3)
  • Social Distancing Disasters (Clovenhoof: The Isolation Chronicles Book 5)
  • George Peabody, A Biography
  • Monsters Unleashed!
  • The Tarot Sequence: Scenes from Quarantine
  • Sunset at Blandings (Blandings Castle, #12)
  • Civil War II: Gods of War

Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, i

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind, #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)