Start by marking “Enough.: True Measures of Money, Business, and Life” as Want to Read:
Enough.: True Measures of Money, Business, and Life

Enough.: True Measures of Money, Business, and Life

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  975 Ratings  ·  141 Reviews
John Bogle puts our obsession with financial success in perspective Throughout his legendary career, John C. Bogle-founder of the Vanguard Mutual Fund Group and creator of the first index mutual fund-has helped investors build wealth the right way and led a tireless campaign to restore common sense to the investment world. Along the way, he's seen how destructive an obsess ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about Enough., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enough.

Trevor
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography, economics
Has there ever been a book with a more apt title? Honestly, I couldn't count the number of times during listening to this audiobook when I thought to myself, ENOUGH, PLEASE GOD ENOUGH!

In the end I listened to the whole damn thing, but mostly out of the perverse curiosity that wonders if it is possible for this guy to bring in homily after homily and self-aggrandisement after self-aggrandisement and sustain it for an entire book. Naturally, he had no trouble. Where this book is particularly inter
Scott
May 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2000s, money
I like Jack Bogle ... and so does Jack Bogle. He's read widely and culled a lot of good ideas -- no-load index funds, fiscal responsibility, frugality, liberality -- and he's made them his own. After reading Enough. you may be left with the impression that Bogle invented not only the mutual fund business, but also the alphabet, the Enlightenment, and chicken soup. In other words, Bogle takes a lot of credit for others' ideas: he's sort of the Al Gore of the financial world.

Still, I like the guy
Russell Baruffi
May 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
The name of John Bogle's most recent book, Enough. True Measures of Money, Business and Life, seems to promise a treatise on our society's failure to measure true value. But Bogle’s shortest book reads more like the meandering thoughts of a accomplished, earnest and wise old man than it does a clear and directed essay. In a roundabout way, Enough concludes that the values that underpin market capitalism have eroded, resulting in a grim prognosis for our financial system.

What must be foremost ap
Sean Goh
Feb 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: biz
Short, mildly dense, preachy. But I agree with the messages, so it was kinda preaching to the choir.

__
The perfect growing up environment: a family with community standing and never a concern about being inferior or disrespected, yet with the need to take responsibility for our own spending money, the initiative to get jobs, and the discipline of working for others.
I grew up with the priceless advantage of having to work for what I got.

The gross returns generated in the financial markets, minus t
Dogdaysinaz
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: heard, own
I thought it was pretty good. I am a Bogle fan, so I may be biased. The main complaint I have is that he really focused on what the financial advisors do "wrong" and how advisors don't define "enough" but he really didn't place any of the blame on investors, at least not in this book. If investors understood "enough," they wouldn't have been so greedy in every bubble in history. Anyway, I thought the audiobook was good enough that I got my own hard copy of the book.
Jay
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, business
I recently listened to the audiobook version of Bogle’s “Common Sense on Mutual Funds”, and read this book because the title led me to believe this would be more of an overview of the state of personal finances. I was mostly wrong. I found Bogle’s version of “enough” to be aimed as much at the mutual fund industry as to individuals. This book duplicates many of the main points in his earlier book, so beyond the more personal storytelling in this book, it didn’t add much to what I understand. Bog ...more
Howard
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on recommendation from Matt Heusser's blog, Creative Chaos (you can read his review here). I like what Bogle has to say in the opening about having 'enough.' Too often we think about what we could do with a little more, rather than thinking about what we can do better with what we have. On that point I agree. I hoped that he would go on to describe a method of growing a business that is sustainable, where success is measured by providing a stable work place; not by how the busin ...more
Karen
Nov 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
The best part about this book is the story that inspired the title. At a party, Kurt Vonnegut tells Joseph Heller that their host (a hedge fund manager) had made more money in a day than Heller made from his book, Catch-22. Heller says, "Yes, but I have something he will never have . . . enough." That interaction is a little revelation in itself. But it's also a fabulous premise for a book. Just not this book. I expected the book to be for a general audience and to go into more depth about what ...more
Jeff Kowalk
Great book by a true leader, entrepeneur, and visionary. Required reading for any business person.

I've read most of Mr. Bogle's previous works, and this is his best! Recommended.
Jeffrey Dunster
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Enough starts with the very premise I came upon several years ago while studying business; there is a point where individuals (and companies) have enough, enough market share, enough savings, enough resources, enough house, enough comfort, etc.

p. 22 "...our entire society...reflect[s:] some of the absurdities and inequities that we've come to accept and take for granted."
"In our financial system, we focus our expectations on the returns that the financial markets may deliver, ignoring the exorbi
Sam Dye
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
More than a remarkable book. How to invest, run a company and run your life. The Forward by William Jefferson Clinton and Prologue by Tom Peters are excellent. Then Bogle presents an "Author's Note" written in April 2010 where he deals with the causes of the 2007 collapse what to do about it and sets the stage defining the ethical crisis. In the Introduction he summarizes his life which he returns to in the Afterword. Then the Money section titles Too Much Cost, Not Enough Value; Too Much Specul ...more
Jean
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I love John Bogle. I love his wisdom, his simplicity. I love his balance between pride and humility. I look to him for the foundations of financial advice, which is nice because his advice is generally to keep things pretty simple.

This is the only Bogle book I've read in its entirety. It doesn't give financial advice, though the pillars of his approach are here, in a roundabout way.

Bogle dives first into autobiography, which was compelling. He then spends the rest of the first half of the book
Lori
Nov 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
This is the first book I've ever read that has business and investing as its theme. I learned a great deal. What I particularly liked was Bogle's no-nonsense ideas about sound investment practices, and his clear explanations about why (and how) the US financial world has gone amok... and what might be done about it.

The latter, and more philosophical, parts of the book become repetitive. And, though I heartily agree with his belief that we need more character and integrity in business, finance, a
Matthew
May 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
More people need this level of insight on the world around them. Here's a financier who isn't greedy and self-interested. Chalk that up as a significant accomplishment and then realize that he has built a fantastic company on some very principled organizational, moral, financial, and personal beliefs. This book reads like something from a bygone era, which in some sense it is. My hat is off to you, Sir.
Anthony
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Jack Bogle never fails to communicate a broader vision of life while talking finance. This is no exception. The idea of an entire industry/profession as contributing no additive value and being basically parasitic is timely considering current circumstances. Enough is a call to simplicity and modesty on the one hand and an invitation to live a life of service to a grand vision on the other. Highly recommended.
David
Dec 18, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I only gave this 3 stars I do recommend it. The author gets preachy at times, pats himself on the back a little too much, but his message is important. Just the intro story about how he came up with the title for the book is worth at least picking up the book.
Andy
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance, business
I first must admit that I am biased towards John Bogle and the Vanguard Group. For many years, I have entrusted my finances to their organization due to high moral values and incredible leadership.

Enough: True Measures of Money, Business, and Life is a reaffirmation of my statements above. Enough explicates the current dilemmas infesting our financial society today and why eighteenth-century values ought to be applied vigorously and swiftly. John does a wonderful job articulating the woes of Am
Daniel
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: money, nonfiction
John Bogle and his army of followers are one of the few people on Wall Street who can actually be referred to as "the good guys" in a world that's been forged almost entirely on ruthlessness and variations on legal theft. He's also one of the few people to whom it's absurd to say "you cannot change the world" because he has. Vanguard has more assets under management ($3.5 Trillion is not a typo) than JP Morgan Chase or Bank of America or, for that matter, the entire Hedge Fund industry combined ...more
Waseem
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
After reading the title of this book - and seeing at quick glance the seemingly good reviews/ratings ... I assumed this book was about Minimalism of all things ( seeing it popped up as I was shopping on the topic) - but far from it as I discovered in the end - nevertheless I still finished the book even although the topics discussed were of no interest to me really ( mutual funds and financial market to name a few )

But if anything and as consolation for least completing the book ... the author s
Bernie
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bogle, the founder of Vanguard Mutual Funds blends investment strategy and memoir into a concise reflection spent after a career in investing. The central premise is that you can have enough when your income meets your needs. On the cusp of 50, retirement planning is no longer on the horizon, but getting closer all the time. Bogle, the inventor of the eponymous "Index" fund makes a compelling case for avoiding speculation, investing for the long term (10 years or more) and reducing costs, which ...more
Stacey
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Unfinished. Too self-congratulatory, although I do like his opinion that investing is better than speculating. I believe in investing long-term, and not in day-trading or speculating with individual stocks, so I had a positive bias going in. Still, he praises his choices and successes too often for me, and I took away enough good information.
Lena Erickson
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reflections on life and investment careers from my biggest hero in the financial sector. Bogle's advice strikes a deep ethical chord. I especially enjoyed the last chapters, in which he wrote about what inspired him and how his values drive his conduct. He's a successful man who managed to stay humble and spritely. I hope someday I can have the character that he has.
Hansel
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Topic that is not common at all. Nobody looking for enough. We all want more. Yet it is what we need.

Based on his life experiences, he shared many examples and principles that guide his life. As well as his dream of having a world who love others instead of just merely stuffing ourself.

You'll find investment and life principles here.

Easy to read and definitely enjoyable!
Janet
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sundar Kris
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
The guy had rambled on, half way through I felt "enough". It is important to make sure how we make money, but it's not worth 250pages. I get the messages but I was almost rolling my eyes of a rich guy telling u "it's not about the money"
Katherine
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: leading-a-lab, kindle
This book got better in the later sections - initially it just felt like his complaints with the state of the finance industry. I share his values and there are a lot of insights into how the system currently works that I was not aware of. Good reminders for life.
Adam
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Bogle's self righteous thoughts trip drunkenly over themselves. In John's mind he's a modern day Benjamin Franklin.

Nuggets of Truth:

Good fortune tellers are scarce
The road to life is rarely smooth
Press on Regardless
Hard won experience
I have something that you will never have...Enough
Linden
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: financial, ebook
I've enjoyed Bogle's other books, but this one was a bit of a disappointment. I was hoping for some words of wisdom about societal problems like materialism and hedonic adaption, but it's mostly about the finance industry. It's more of a memoir than an essay on "Enough".
Lani M
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
“In life, we too often allow the illusory to triumph over the real.We focus too much on things and not enough on the intangibles that make things worthwhile; too much on success (a word I’ve never liked) and not enough on character , without which success is meaningless."
Kyle
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I found this memoir refreshing because it indirectly addresses a big question: why does the free market have such gross inequalities? Bogle argues it's because too many people emphasize success at the expense of character. I can't say I disagree. While his chapter about 18th century versus 21st century values might make some folks roll their eyes, I urge anyone who's remotely critical of the free market to give Enough. a fair shake.
  • Value Averaging: The Safe and Easy Strategy for Higher Investment Returns
  • The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
  • The Art of Profitability
  • The Little Book of Bull Moves in Bear Markets: How to Keep Your Portfolio Up When the Market Is Down
  • The Four Pillars of Investing
  • Making the Most of Your Money Now (Revised)
  • The Leader's Checklist: 15 Mission-Critical Principles
  • The Great Inflation and Its Aftermath: The Past and Future of American Affluence
  • The End of Normal: Why the Growth Economy Isn't Coming Back-and What to Do When It Doesn't
  • Unconventional Success: A Fundamental Approach to Personal Investment
  • The Only Guide to a Winning Investment Strategy You'll Ever Need: The Way Smart Money Invests Today
  • Mutual Funds For Dummies
  • Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes And How To Correct Them: Lessons From The New Science Of Behavioral Economics
  • Winning the Loser's Game: Timeless Strategies for Successful Investing
  • Success Built to Last: Creating a Life That Matters
  • A Primer on Money, Banking, and Gold
  • The Little Book of Bulletproof Investing: Do's and Don'ts to Protect Your Financial Life
  • Work Less, Live More: The Way to Semi-Retirement
John Clifton "Jack" Bogle (born May 8, 1929) is the founder and retired CEO of The Vanguard Group. He is known for his 1999 book Common Sense on Mutual Funds: New Imperatives for the Intelligent Investor, which became a bestseller and is considered a classic.
More on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._...

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business
    $12.99 $2.99
“As I have earlier noted, the most important things in life and in business can’t be measured. The trite bromide 'If you can measure it, you can manage it' has been a hindrance in the building a great real-world organization, just as it has been a hindrance in evaluating the real-world economy. It is character, not numbers, that make the world go ‘round. How can we possibly measure the qualities of human existence that give our lives and careers meaning? How about grace, kindness, and integrity? What value do we put on passion, devotion, and trust? How much do cheerfulness, the lilt of a human voice, and a touch of pride add to our lives? Tell me, please, if you can, how to value friendship, cooperation, dedication, and spirit. Categorically, the firm that ignores the intangible qualities that the human beings who are our colleagues bring to their careers will never build a great workforce or a great organization.” 9 likes
“On balance, the financial system subracts value from society” 4 likes